Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #271
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Anybody here ever try going through Convict Conditioning?

I decided that since its the New Year, ill start off with the basics of bodyweight, but damn after doing this, i feel humbled. Just did Inverted arows and Kneeling Push-Ups today and wow, the standards for progression among the movements is no laughing matter. The Kneeling PUs werent really a problem but i couldnt believe i found myself struggling a but with pulling off 10 strict inverted rows, and theyre just Step 2 in the Pull-Up series.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #272
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

will start a more intense workouts next week for sure... since i started going to the gym ( 2 months ) i have been only working out 3-4 times a week and only 2 exercises for every part of the body...
i gained around 7-8 pounds in those 2 months but im not sure if any of that is muscle ( my lats got noticeably bigger but thats because i do pullups all the time )
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #273
shlver
코비=GOAT

Finally found this thread again. I found this group called Bar-Barians and I've been working on their requirements to join.
Physical requirements include:
1. 5 Muscle Ups
2. 45 Dips
3. 25 Pull-ups
4. 55 Push Ups
5. and 5 Muscle Ups, within 6 mins.
Pretty intense. I'm hitting a wall at the 25 pullups, I can only do about 15 before failure. The dips and pushups are fine, but the 10 muscle ups and 25 pullups are difficult.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #274
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Finally found this thread again. I found this group called Bar-Barians and I've been working on their requirements to join.
Physical requirements include:
1. 5 Muscle Ups
2. 45 Dips
3. 25 Pull-ups
4. 55 Push Ups
5. and 5 Muscle Ups, within 6 mins.
Pretty intense. I'm hitting a wall at the 25 pullups, I can only do about 15 before failure. The dips and pushups are fine, but the 10 muscle ups and 25 pullups are difficult.
all this in 6 mins? for real?
good luck
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #275
JerryWest
kobeee!!

an exercising *****, that's that shit I don't like
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #276
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

NEW DIET:

5-10 PM feeding time.
Green Smoothies (Kale, Broccoli, Radish, Pineapple, Coconut Oil) blended
Egg whites cooked with grass-fed butter, garlic, onion
1 Lb of turkey or chicken with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Can of Tuna or Sardines
Handful of almonds
Piece of fruit

Aiming for 2300 kcals or so.

This is about as clean as it gets. Should really boost the energy a lot.

NYG and shiver I'm with you on the bodyweight battle.

Gonna add sprints every other day.

Then do this split:
1) Push + Abs
One arm Push up Progerssion
Hand Stand Pushup
Leg Lifts
Bridge
Janda Sit Ups

2) Pull + Legs
Chin Up
Pull Up
L-pull up
Jumps
Pistol Squat
Bulgarian Split Squat
Calf Raises

Best part is it only takes 20-25 minutes, you don't break a sweat, and YOU DO NOT FEEL FATIGUED. Won't erally give slabs of muscle any tiem soon but its a steady strength game and if you take low rests, keeps the heart up.

Good. Leaves pelnty of time to focus on otha thingz.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #277
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
all this in 6 mins? for real?
good luck
I can't even finish everything at one time with rests, let alone six minutes. It'll take time, maybe a couple of months. I'll definitely post a vid of it on here if I accomplish it.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #278
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Alright gents.

Here's what I need from you.

I need some motivation and I need something that's set so I have goals to work towards etc. Need a plan/regime to work with to keep me in the gym. I'd be what I'd consider an advanced lifter/'exerciser - played college football, experienced in most 'advanced' lifts, have done crossfit before, finished top 5% in my local Tough Mudder competition. I currently play in a men's basketball league (1x per week), volleyball league (1x per week). I workout at a gym that has most fo the 'stuff' you'd need for most workout regimens.

So what's the deal? I don't have a ton of time. I have a daughter, wife, job, etc that have become priorities so I can't spend 5 days a week in the gym any more. I need something that I can get to the gym, bust my arse for an hour or so 3 days a week (on top of the two days I spend at bball and vball). Not looking to get jacked or anything, but do need SOMETHING. Haven't been able to find anything that really inspires me.

Help me out, ISH.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #279
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Alright gents.

I need some motivation and I need something that's set so I have goals to work towards etc. Need a plan/regime to work with to keep me in the gym. I'd be what I'd consider an advanced lifter/'exerciser - played college football, experienced in most 'advanced' lifts, have done crossfit before, finished top 5% in my local Tough Mudder competition. I currently play in a men's basketball league (1x per week), volleyball league (1x per week). I workout at a gym that has most fo the 'stuff' you'd need for most workout regimens.

So what's the deal? I don't have a ton of time. I have a daughter, wife, job, etc that have become priorities so I can't spend 5 days a week in the gym any more. I need something that I can get to the gym, bust my arse for an hour or so 3 days a week (on top of the two days I spend at bball and vball). Not looking to get jacked or anything, but do need SOMETHING. Haven't been able to find anything that really inspires me.

Help me out, ISH.

if time is an issue, try insanity or p90x. other then that, find a work out partner with the same kind of schedule as you. i don't know about you, but i am much less likely to skip a work out if i have someone else waiting on me. just make sure he's not too yappy so yall can get a good work out in without wasting time.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #280
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

thought i would post some videos of my lil bro who does calisthenics ( no weights )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfEjN2DwLyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=719jGiBiWag
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #281
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
thought i would post some videos of my lil bro who does calisthenics ( no weights )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfEjN2DwLyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=719jGiBiWag

I don't really aim to do much of the stuff your brother does, but I AM going to give extra effort in trying to learn and bring up some more calisthenics movements. I would like to pull off muscle-ups this year or a year from now and increase my pull-up numbers (5 is easy, but everything after that is a struggle for me), and I'm also really looking to finally hanstand without support and do some push-ups (though with a wall for now). Your brother got any tips for anyone who wants to bring up their calisthenics?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #282
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I don't really aim to do much of the stuff your brother does, but I AM going to give extra effort in trying to learn and bring up some more calisthenics movements. I would like to pull off muscle-ups this year or a year from now and increase my pull-up numbers (5 is easy, but everything after that is a struggle for me), and I'm also really looking to finally hanstand without support and do some push-ups (though with a wall for now). Your brother got any tips for anyone who wants to bring up their calisthenics?

YOu're not too heavy.

You are strong for your weight. SO what's stopping ya ?

Muscle up is basically a violent pull up but the trick is to ROTATE YOUR WRISTS FORWARD ON THE BAR AS YOUR CHEST IS IN THE AIR AND CATCH YOURSELF.

Handstands are core strength, balance, and shoulder strength. Start by doing those planches, pike pushups (knees on the table then shoulders out), doing the HSPU's assisted on walls and having a partner hold you.

For pull-ups.
5 sets
5/3/4/5/5

Rest a day.

5/3/3/5/6

Rest a day.

5/5/5/5/5

Rest a day

Add + 10 lbs
4/3/4/3/4

Etc. etc.

Rest a day

6/5/5/4/7

Rest a day

Add + 15 lbs

4/4/4/4/4

The jist of it is it's a specific movement that simply gets better with practice and repetition. That's it. No tricks really. Higher volume. Negatives. Stronger Grip. And lotsa practice. Simple, but consistency is key.

Do as many as you can. Rest 1 min - 90 secs. Do as many as you can. Repeat.

If you wanted to supplement your pullups add heavy barbell rows with a strong contraction, deadlifts, and lots of rows. You need to find your weak link (is it lats, is it forearms, is it at the bottom is it at the top) and fix that sh!t up.

Also get your form right. That means chest up, head up, Back arched, and IMAGINE PULLING YOUR ELBOWS DOWN TO THE FLOOR. Don't be afraid to tense up every muscle in your body including your abs and glutes.

Source: Trying out for USMC which requires 20 and went from 5 --> 18 deadhang in a few months. Also did some gymnastics and asked an expert on iron cross and muscle ups lol.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #283
Draz
Like a Baoss.

I've been hitting the gym now since this year started with my girl. I actually just got home from it. I need to make this move, get fit. Anyone here recommend some tips on gaining weight?
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #284
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Alright gents.

Help me out, ISH.

Your situation sound similar to mine (daughter wife no time ect). 4 years ago I went out and bought my own home gym and haven't looked back. So much easier than having to go to the gym! Just wake up, hit your pre-workout sup, and bang out the weights...then go on with the rest of your day.

Not sure if you have the space or not. But it's definitely worth it.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #285
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I've been hitting the gym now since this year started with my girl. I actually just got home from it. I need to make this move, get fit. Anyone here recommend some tips on gaining weight?
eat more than you did so far... if you dont gain anything in 2-3 weeks... eat even more... and more and more... of course not everything will be muscle mass..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: