Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #286
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,522
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I'm reading through the book and I think I'm going to give it a try. It's just going to test my patience a lot if I go strictly by what he recommends, which is about one month working on each step until deciding to move on regardless of fitness level.

I see you've jumped up to other steps to gauge where you're at, but do you plan on doing everything from step one as well?

Nice! Glad to have someone go on this journey along with me. Yeah, I decided to skip the first few steps on the squat, pull-up, and push-up progressions. It was more of a "just because I can" decision and I ultimately don't have the patience to do so, but I'm making sure to pay my dues to by doing higher-rep sets of the earlier steps as warm-up, usually doing close to the number on the progression standard. I'm trying to see if I can achieve mastery of those steps concurrently. The earlier steps for me aren't really a test of strength, but really more for my patience and endurance. Even though those vertical pulls are easy as hell, my rear delts start burning after 15 reps.

Plus I'm not really one to go by the book. I usually experiment new stuff I learn with some stuff that's worked for me, like now, I'm using ladders in training my pull-up and push-up progressions. Will definitely work up to the progression standards though before I move on.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #287
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,715
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Thanks... and thanks to rezz as well.

Have another one on the way, and will likely have to get a van (note: FEEL SO OLD. GAH.).

Am seriously thinking about installing a heater and converting the garage into a gym.

Good to hear! (except the 'van' maybe lol) Craigslist or Kijiji are your friends when it comes to buying equipment. Don't go to the local bodybuilding store and buy your gym, you'll spend a fortune.

I was able to put together a sweet-ass gym for about 1200 bucks. If I went and bought the gym I have new, I'd be looking at well over 5 grand. So the savings are significant.

My Gym:
PowerRack
Adjustable Bench
2 4x6 Rubber mats
2 Olympic Bars
1 CurlBar
Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells 0-80lbs
Pair of 90lbs dumbbells
Dip station
weight tree - holds plates
Olympic Plates - 4x45 4x35 4x25 8x10 8x5 8x2.5
Exercise Ball
Pair of 25lbs kettlebells

You don't have to go as crazy as I did. This is more than you need. Good luck and keep me updated.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #288
Draz
The People's Choice
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Strong Men Island
Posts: 19,222
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
You get any progress since that thread you made a while back? Without further adoo...

With regards to training, time under tension is gonna be your best friend. I other words, the more you can work a muscle at a high intensity (important note), the better your gains will be. In simple terms, aim to get a pump with a heavy weight, and no other exercises lend themselves well to heavy weights like compound movements. A year of rotating deadlifts, squats, overhead presses, pull-ups, bench presses (though I've never actually benched in my life), and rows will do you good. GOOOOOOOD.

When it comes to eating, just eat real food, and it most of your day's intake after your training. I actually made my absolute best gains in size and strength when I got off using whey powders post-workout and just started pounding all the meat, rice, sweet potatoes, fruits, and veggies I could throw down. No need for the extra supplements that may or may not actually work.

Other than that, just get good sleep and do your best to stay stress-free and have an awesome life.

Thanks for the response. What I've been doing is hitting the gym at least 3 times a week or more, starting like this year. I've been doing sets of 3 each muscle workouts, I don't lift though. The planet fitness I go to don't really have weights like that. When I go home I do extra workouts that I can do alone like sit ups, crunches, push ups, etc. I'm curious to know, how long after will I see results? Like 5-6 months? I know 1-4 months I will feel better, feel healthier, but will toning start around 4-6 months+?

And by lifting do you mean barbells? The weights they have there are on machines unless that counts as lifting. I guess that counts then? Sorry, I'm a noob. And you mean the thread I made a long time ago? About buying a home gym? If so my money ran low and I will perhaps make a purchase this year when it gets warmer.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #289
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,522
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Thanks for the response. What I've been doing is hitting the gym at least 3 times a week or more, starting like this year. I've been doing sets of 3 each muscle workouts, I don't lift though. The planet fitness I go to don't really have weights like that. When I go home I do extra workouts that I can do alone like sit ups, crunches, push ups, etc. I'm curious to know, how long after will I see results? Like 5-6 months? I know 1-4 months I will feel better, feel healthier, but will toning start around 4-6 months+?

And by lifting do you mean barbells? The weights they have there are on machines unless that counts as lifting. I guess that counts then? Sorry, I'm a noob. And you mean the thread I made a long time ago? About buying a home gym? If so my money ran low and I will perhaps make a purchase this year when it gets warmer.

Planet Fitness? Is it true they've banned doing Deadlifts at their branches? Ifnso then you need to get the **** outta that place.

Haha Just kidding. Honestly though, I've never trained with machines in my life and don't plan on doing so in the future. They have been shown to cause faulty recruitment patterns in trainees (in other words, they can actually cause bad form once you use barbells and dumbbells because of the fixed posture of the bars/handles) and they take a lot of stabilizer muscles out of your movement which you could get some extra strength from too. Personally, I'd rather do move and look for a gym with olympic bars or start off with bodyweight movements.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #290
Draz
The People's Choice
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Strong Men Island
Posts: 19,222
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Planet Fitness? Is it true they've banned doing Deadlifts at their branches? Ifnso then you need to get the **** outta that place.

Haha Just kidding. Honestly though, I've never trained with machines in my life and don't plan on doing so in the future. They have been shown to cause faulty recruitment patterns in trainees (in other words, they can actually cause bad form once you use barbells and dumbbells because of the fixed posture of the bars/handles) and they take a lot of stabilizer muscles out of your movement which you could get some extra strength from too. Personally, I'd rather do move and look for a gym with olympic bars or start off with bodyweight movements.

Eh. I'll look into a home gym once my dad gives me my $1k back. Also I've been getting these stretch marks like really pink marks (they look like stretch marks) on my arms near my shoulders/arm above my armpit area. I do push ups, and shit. Will this go away? Is it normal? Their becoming scary.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #291
plowking
Verticle?
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: We goin' Sizzler
Posts: 27,765
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Eh. I'll look into a home gym once my dad gives me my $1k back. Also I've been getting these stretch marks like really pink marks (they look like stretch marks) on my arms near my shoulders/arm above my armpit area. I do push ups, and shit. Will this go away? Is it normal? Their becoming scary.

Its completely normal. They won't go away but they'll fade once you hit the sun, get a tan and the skin sorts itself out after a while. They'll become less and less noticeable. It simply occurs due to rapid muscle growth, stretching the skin.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #292
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,510
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

So I'm feeling pretty bummed out. About two and a half weeks ago I pulled my hammy sprinting. I iced and bandaged it for about a week, elevated it and all that stuff. It felt good all of last week, but decided to wait it out. Today is the day I decide to go back to the gym, I'm doing squats and I hear it pop again. It wasn't even a heavy set for myself, I was on my third rep of 295.

Anywho, does anyone else have any advice for things I can try differently this time around? I guess I could have warmed up even more before lifting today, but I made sure to focus on my hams and didn't feel any trouble at all until it popped. I should still be able to do upper body stuff, right?

I guess the worst part is that one of my 'resolutions' for the new year is to run a race (5 or 10K) each month of the year and with this set back I don't know if I'll be ready for one at the end of the month.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 01-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #293
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,467
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Eh. I'll look into a home gym once my dad gives me my $1k back. Also I've been getting these stretch marks like really pink marks (they look like stretch marks) on my arms near my shoulders/arm above my armpit area. I do push ups, and shit. Will this go away? Is it normal? Their becoming scary.

It's normal and they won't go away but you can help them fade them using cocoa butter or some other medicated creams.


I've been doing 15-20 min HIIT after my workouts lately rather than standard 25-30 minute moderate intensity cardio and I'm seeing great results. My abs look much more cut and aesthetic and I've finally got a defined six pack. it also shortens the amount of time I'm at the gym.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #294
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,688
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
It's normal and they won't go away but you can help them fade them using cocoa butter or some other medicated creams.


I've been doing 15-20 min HIIT after my workouts lately rather than standard 25-30 minute moderate intensity cardio and I'm seeing great results. My abs look much more cut and aesthetic and I've finally got a defined six pack. it also shortens the amount of time I'm at the gym.

Christ.

H.I.I.T CUTS FAT like no tomorrow. As do sprints, barbell complexes, kettlebell swings, circuit training etc.

I go 90 seconds 6.6 and 30 seconds 10.5... its tough because my sprint is a lot faster than the latter but I get fukkin exhausted recuperating after the burst on 6.6.. gonna experiment with 3.8 and 12.0.

tips on progressing?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #295
Draz
The People's Choice
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Strong Men Island
Posts: 19,222
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

What are some great ab workouts? I've been doing this specific machine at the gym but other than that basic sit-ups, crunches, planking, etc.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #296
shlver
코비=GOAT
 
shlver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,291
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

I'm thinking about signing up for a gym. I do not know much about free weights but are most people willing enough to help you learn how to do specific motions and exercises or should I just take a weightlifting class at the university?
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #297
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,688
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
What are some great ab workouts? I've been doing this specific machine at the gym but other than that basic sit-ups, crunches, planking, etc.

look the following up on youtube.

Russian Full Contact Twist 5*5
Hanging Leg Raise with Weighted dumbell 3 * 10
Windshield Wiper 3 * 8
Decline Sit Up + Weight 5 * 5
Russian Ballet Hip Thrust 5 * 5
Turkish Get Up 3 * 8
Janda Sit Up 2 * 20
Palloff Press 3 * 10
Ab Wheel Roll Out 3 * 10
Suitcase Deadlift 2 * 5
Saxon Side Bend 5 * 8
RKC Plank Hold a slong as possible
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #298
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,467
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Christ.

H.I.I.T CUTS FAT like no tomorrow. As do sprints, barbell complexes, kettlebell swings, circuit training etc.

I go 90 seconds 6.6 and 30 seconds 10.5... its tough because my sprint is a lot faster than the latter but I get fukkin exhausted recuperating after the burst on 6.6.. gonna experiment with 3.8 and 12.0.

tips on progressing?

3:1 is pretty intense bro and even your rest period is fairly fast. I just go 1:2 (1 minute steady jogs with 30 second sprints; probably a piece of cake for you and I find it a lot easier to maintain. I do hope to get to 2:1 eventually but I like the way I'm progressing with 1:2 right now. If you're getting winded after your sprints, you should try to increase your rest periods between the sprints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I'm thinking about signing up for a gym. I do not know much about free weights but are most people willing enough to help you learn how to do specific motions and exercises or should I just take a weightlifting class at the university?

Look up some beginner workouts on bodybuilding.com. You can click on most of the exercises and they'll have a video showing how to do the exercise/lifts with proper technique step by step. There's a wealth of info on that website to get you started.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #299
Anti Hero
TeamBattlesNotSoBad
 
Anti Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7,978
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Need to do cardio tonight... no energy or desire.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #300
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,522
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Need to do cardio tonight... no energy or desire.

There are very few feelings that are as refreshing as waking up early, taking a bit of coffee, and then running some incline sprints. Maybe you'd feel more desire to run doing the same.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy