Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #316
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Been doing squats for my ass, you guys should know how much women appreciate a man's ass.
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #317
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Any strong ISHers want to critique my workout?

I have a arm day, leg/back day, and a chest/back day.

Arms-
Shoulder press-5 sets
Dips-3 sets
Bicep curl-3 sets
Side lateral raises-3 sets

Legs/back-
Squats-3 sets
Dead lifts-2 sets

Chest/back-
Bench press-4 sets
Incline bench press-1 set
Rows-4 sets

Lol wtf? Where the hell did you get this from and what are you trying to do? Pack on muscle?

Consider

Chest + Tris

Back + Bis

Leg + Shoulder

Split instead.

If you want big arms consider at least 5-10 sets of Biceps. I'd throw in 3 sets of chin-ups along iwth your curls.

Your shoulders are looking good. Decent volume. Consider rear delt flies and arnold presess too.

3 sets of dips is not sufficient for tri's. Add either Cloes grip Bench, Skullcrusher, or Lying Tricep extensions to the mix. Go for 10-15 sets a week.

Squats and deadlifts are VERY difficult to perform at enough intensity back to back. Consider doing deadlifts on back day instead. Up the volume to 5 sets of squats. Do another leg exercise, for hams. And one for quads.

Incline Bench > Normal bench. The former emphasizes the pec minor at a certain angle which is a better chest shaper. Do 4 sets of both. Consider topping it off with a fly or a cable crossover.

For back do something else on top of rows. Maybe pull-ups.

Eat a lot. Rest.

Aim for 3-6 reps for most exercises except the rear delt flies and the smaller arm stuff.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #318
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Lol wtf? Where the hell did you get this from and what are you trying to do? Pack on muscle?

Consider

Chest + Tris

Back + Bis

Leg + Shoulder

Split instead.

If you want big arms consider at least 5-10 sets of Biceps. I'd throw in 3 sets of chin-ups along iwth your curls.

Your shoulders are looking good. Decent volume. Consider rear delt flies and arnold presess too.

3 sets of dips is not sufficient for tri's. Add either Cloes grip Bench, Skullcrusher, or Lying Tricep extensions to the mix. Go for 10-15 sets a week.

Squats and deadlifts are VERY difficult to perform at enough intensity back to back. Consider doing deadlifts on back day instead. Up the volume to 5 sets of squats. Do another leg exercise, for hams. And one for quads.

Incline Bench > Normal bench. The former emphasizes the pec minor at a certain angle which is a better chest shaper. Do 4 sets of both. Consider topping it off with a fly or a cable crossover.

For back do something else on top of rows. Maybe pull-ups.

Eat a lot. Rest.

Aim for 3-6 reps for most exercises except the rear delt flies and the smaller arm stuff.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't really get this from anywhere, just heard to do the compound lifts and go from there. And yes I'm looking to pack on muscle which is why I'm lifting.

So after looking through what you considered, this is basically an elite workout schedule?

Leg+shoulder day:
Squats
Shoulder press
Rear Delt flies
Arnold presses

Chest+Tricep day:
Bench press
Incline bench press
Dips
Lying tricep extension
Close grip bench

Back+Bicep day:
Rows
Deadlifts
Bicep Curls
Pull-ups (don't have a pull up bar at home, any different exercise that is similar?)

How many days do I rest in between these workouts? Is it just whatever your body tells you, if your not sore then lift?
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #319
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Thanks for the reply. I didn't really get this from anywhere, just heard to do the compound lifts and go from there. And yes I'm looking to pack on muscle which is why I'm lifting.

So after looking through what you considered, this is basically an elite workout schedule?

Leg+shoulder day:
Squats
Shoulder press
Rear Delt flies
Arnold presses

Chest+Tricep day:
Bench press
Incline bench press
Dips
Lying tricep extension
Close grip bench

Back+Bicep day:
Rows
Deadlifts
Bicep Curls
Pull-ups (don't have a pull up bar at home, any different exercise that is similar?)

How many days do I rest in between these workouts? Is it just whatever your body tells you, if your not sore then lift?

No DOMS is misleading. It comes ona nd off. I believe CNS recovery is more important. You can test this out generally by how tired you are and how well you can focus on lifting. Just go 3X a week. If you're performance after the first few sets is sh!t cut it off. Rest. And retry. Your hardest day is probably legs+shoulder, followed by back, followed by chest. So Monday Legs shoudlers, Wed or Thurs Back, Fri or Sat Chest.

Add another exercise to the leg day. You can do the curls and extensions or you can do them lunges.

Also volume-wise you are doing a lot of pressing. You want to row at least as much as you press to keep your shoudlers in tip top condition and scapula retracted.

Another huge thing is tempo.

As a basketball player, I highly recommend you do squats as fast as possible in a controlled manner.

For all pushing exercises consider pushing them up quite fast but lowering veryyyy slowly. Utilize dropsets and rest pause training too.

For pull-ups gripping hard in the pinky area will activate lates and imaging pulling the bar apart while you're doing it. To emphasize biceps, focus on tucking the elbows an dpulling iwth thumbs.

When doing rows, when you've got the thing close to your body (meaning you are in the cocentric portion of hte lift), squeeze for a few extra seconds.

Few points to prevent injuries.
ALways keep a straight back during deadlifts. Chest up, hips down, shoulders back, shins touching bar, curl your toes up to pull from the heels like you're pushing the floor away from you.

Squat technique takes a long time to perfect. Remember, it's just as much spreading your legs outward as it is going down. Siiit baackkk cheestt upp stabilize your core.

Bench, tuck in your elbows, keep your wrists and elbows aligned.

Good luck.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 01-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #320
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
No DOMS is misleading. It comes ona nd off. I believe CNS recovery is more important. You can test this out generally by how tired you are and how well you can focus on lifting. Just go 3X a week. If you're performance after the first few sets is sh!t cut it off. Rest. And retry. Your hardest day is probably legs+shoulder, followed by back, followed by chest. So Monday Legs shoudlers, Wed or Thurs Back, Fri or Sat Chest.

Add another exercise to the leg day. You can do the curls and extensions or you can do them lunges.

Also volume-wise you are doing a lot of pressing. You want to row at least as much as you press to keep your shoudlers in tip top condition and scapula retracted.

Another huge thing is tempo.

As a basketball player, I highly recommend you do squats as fast as possible in a controlled manner.

For all pushing exercises consider pushing them up quite fast but lowering veryyyy slowly. Utilize dropsets and rest pause training too.

For pull-ups gripping hard in the pinky area will activate lates and imaging pulling the bar apart while you're doing it. To emphasize biceps, focus on tucking the elbows an dpulling iwth thumbs.

When doing rows, when you've got the thing close to your body (meaning you are in the cocentric portion of hte lift), squeeze for a few extra seconds.

Few points to prevent injuries.
ALways keep a straight back during deadlifts. Chest up, hips down, shoulders back, shins touching bar, curl your toes up to pull from the heels like you're pushing the floor away from you.

Squat technique takes a long time to perfect. Remember, it's just as much spreading your legs outward as it is going down. Siiit baackkk cheestt upp stabilize your core.

Bench, tuck in your elbows, keep your wrists and elbows aligned.

Good luck.
Alright
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #321
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Check out the new move I learned.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #322
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

i just wanted to ask if there are any negatives in working out my chest twice a week?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #323
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Check out the new move I learned.

Whatever bro...you can do your little tricks while I'm killing the weights and making all kinds of gains with my perfect form.

Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #324
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i just wanted to ask if there are any negatives in working out my chest twice a week?

As long as you give yourself enough rest(3 days) in between your chest workouts it should be okay. I've been training my chest twice a week for awhile now and have seen some gains, so I can't knock it. My chest is my weakest body part (visually) so I decided to give it extra attention which has paid off so far, for me.

Everyone is different. It may work for one person but not the other. But imo it's worth a try.

Chest workout 1
Benchpress 3x10
Incline benchpress 3x10
Weighted Dips 3x10

Chest workout 2
Flat Dumbbell press 3x10
Incline Dumbbell press 3x10
Decline Barbell press 3x10

By switching it up every workout my body doesn't get use to one particular workout. Which I believe has helped me get gains in my chest. Just a suggestion.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #325
usa hoops
Serious playground baller

usa hoops has decent reputation

Look up the 1,000 calorie workout on youtube. I've been doing it every other day, and I already lost 3/4 of an inch off my waist in one week.

You basically burn 1,000 calories in about an hour.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWjGpBrTjg
usa hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #326
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

LBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi

Absolutely not!

You guys should really listen to Layne Norton, 3 DMJ team etc... natural bodybuilders. Way too many beginners and average fitness guys follow workout plans and diets of bodybuilders who use steroids and understandable they are quiet about it since it's illegal. And people who follow them think they will achieve similar results but the truth is far different since steroids change everything in your body.

-focus on complex exercises, isolation exercises as finesse at the end
-don't kill your muscles every time when training, remember, more is not better, better is better
-work for strength, strong muscle is also big muscle(not Coleman big, but above average big which is what majority wants?)
-Squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, pull ups, chin ups, bent rows,... you can do it all more than just once per week! just be careful with volume and frequency
-even if you're trying to lose weight, do not avoid carbs as it has become some kind of fashion nowadays. Just reduce all the 3 macronutrients to the point where you burn more than you eat and you'll start losing fat
-do not exaggerate with protein, too much protein is converted into glucose anyway so why eat expensive protein when carbs are much cheaper?
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #327
takai
Fly for a White Guy

takai is a pretty well-respected postertakai is a pretty well-respected postertakai is a pretty well-respected poster

Decided to try and get some muscle on my torso. I want a little bit of abs and pecks. Not bulging or anything, but something so I can take my shirt off and feel good about myself. Right now I'm just flat nothing. So hopefully it won't take too terribly long.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #328
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 23
Absolutely not!

You guys should really listen to Layne Norton, 3 DMJ team etc... natural bodybuilders. Way too many beginners and average fitness guys follow workout plans and diets of bodybuilders who use steroids and understandable they are quiet about it since it's illegal. And people who follow them think they will achieve similar results but the truth is far different since steroids change everything in your body.

-focus on complex exercises, isolation exercises as finesse at the end
-don't kill your muscles every time when training, remember, more is not better, better is better
-work for strength, strong muscle is also big muscle(not Coleman big, but above average big which is what majority wants?)
-Squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, pull ups, chin ups, bent rows,... you can do it all more than just once per week! just be careful with volume and frequency
-even if you're trying to lose weight, do not avoid carbs as it has become some kind of fashion nowadays. Just reduce all the 3 macronutrients to the point where you burn more than you eat and you'll start losing fat
-do not exaggerate with protein, too much protein is converted into glucose anyway so why eat expensive protein when carbs are much cheaper?
im trying to gain muscle mass and so far its been good ( 3 months ) but i feel like my chest is the weakest part both visually and physically
what can really go wrong here, except for injuries? surely i cant lose the little chest muscle i have because of more exercising?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #329
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 body squats
10 pull ups

Working in the office a bit more these days so I have time to work out. Gym was hella packed and I hate working out in packed gym.

Completed this work out^^I don't have a weight assisted pull up machine so I can only do so much.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #330
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've changed up my routine quite a bit. I was already focusing on compound movements heavily, but now I'm doing near 10 reps of heavy compound movements at the start of my time in the gym for 3-5 reps.

Power cleans have to be my favorite exercise at the moment. Hadn't done them on a regular basis in forever, and now enjoying them again. Not doing a weight I'm too proud of on them at the moment, but I'm sure it will catch up to the rest of my lifts slowly.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: