Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #331
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Whatever bro...you can do your little tricks while I'm killing the weights and making all kinds of gains with my perfect form.

What the **** is the point of these two pics?

I swear if i saw a ni99a doin that i don't even think i'd be able to lift for the day
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #332
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 body squats
10 pull ups

Working in the office a bit more these days so I have time to work out. Gym was hella packed and I hate working out in packed gym.

Completed this work out^^I don't have a weight assisted pull up machine so I can only do so much.

Hawk Fukk the sit-ups up the pull-ups.

J$ is headed to Boston's tough mudder this May yesssss
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #333
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Couldn't be bothered doing weighted pull ups last night, so I tried doing typewriter pull ups for the first time in a while. Were a lot easier than the last time I tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4JpWuabhk4

Video above for those who don't know what it is. They're quite fun actually.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #334
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Anybody here ever try going through Convict Conditioning?

I decided that since its the New Year, ill start off with the basics of bodyweight, but damn after doing this, i feel humbled. Just did Inverted arows and Kneeling Push-Ups today and wow, the standards for progression among the movements is no laughing matter. The Kneeling PUs werent really a problem but i couldnt believe i found myself struggling a but with pulling off 10 strict inverted rows, and theyre just Step 2 in the Pull-Up series.

In case anyone's interested, here's a little update:

I miss doing barbell moves. This Convict Conditioning feels good though. I've traded some of my fat for muscle using it and I feel stronger, but in a different way than from when I hit the bar. Both really good feelings though.

I think the biggest plus for me so far is that the soreness I get in my anterior shoulder from doing high-rep pushing movements has noticeably decreased. Even hitting just 25 push-ups used to kill it before, but now it's nothing really to me (although it is a bit important to keep in my mind that I have not let myself progress to full push-ups yet based on the book's philosophy).

It's also made me realize though that I suck at pulls. I've been stuck at inverted rows ever since I started. From starting out struggling to do 10 strict, I'm now struggling with 15. I noticed though that I pull too much with my arms. If any of you guys have any more tips to activating my back muscles, I'd be happy to hear them. Ever since I tried working Pavel's high tension techniques into them though, it's been easier, but I still feel that my arms are getting the brunt of the tension, which I don't think is helping me.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #335
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
In case anyone's interested, here's a little update:

I miss doing barbell moves. This Convict Conditioning feels good though. I've traded some of my fat for muscle using it and I feel stronger, but in a different way than from when I hit the bar. Both really good feelings though.

I think the biggest plus for me so far is that the soreness I get in my anterior shoulder from doing high-rep pushing movements has noticeably decreased. Even hitting just 25 push-ups used to kill it before, but now it's nothing really to me (although it is a bit important to keep in my mind that I have not let myself progress to full push-ups yet based on the book's philosophy).

It's also made me realize though that I suck at pulls. I've been stuck at inverted rows ever since I started. From starting out struggling to do 10 strict, I'm now struggling with 15. I noticed though that I pull too much with my arms. If any of you guys have any more tips to activating my back muscles, I'd be happy to hear them. Ever since I tried working Pavel's high tension techniques into them though, it's been easier, but I still feel that my arms are getting the brunt of the tension, which I don't think is helping me.

You seem to take your lifting seriously, so I doubt there is much more I could tell you that you already don't know for pulls. Do you pinch your shoulders back? Chest up?
What I've found that works well is tensing and touching the muscle I'm supposed to be working out helps if I feel that the secondary muscles are taking too much load.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #336
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
You seem to take your lifting seriously, so I doubt there is much more I could tell you that you already don't know for pulls. Do you pinch your shoulders back? Chest up?
What I've found that works well is tensing and touching the muscle I'm supposed to be working out helps if I feel that the secondary muscles are taking too much load.

Yeah, I try to tense my whole body before certain lifts that need prep or I find more difficult than others. I tried this other cue I got though that's intended for pull-ups, and it's to pull yourelbows to your hip, plus I tried stopping the pull at the ooint where my elbow just passes my torso. Helped greatly as I was able to hit 15 comfortably in the first set. The other 4 hour were a struggle though.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #337
plowking
Banned

Does anyone have any advice for stalling on military presses? I seem to be stuck at the same weight for a while now and was wondering if there are some other exercises I could incorporate to help it.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #338
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

LBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would increase frequency(if you're doing them more than 4 times per week, ignore this post).
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #339
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

I have just started going to the gym.

My mate who is very muscular and has been lifting for about 5 years now told me that I should use protein powder. Is it a must? I have read some negative things about it but so many people use it.

Can anyone help me with some brands as well and which to buy. Im from Australia so our stores might sell a different product to yours.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #340
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

LBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Is it a must?

No. But it is a pretty cheap and convenient source of protein.
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #341
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
I have read some negative things about it but so many people use it.
What are the negatives?
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #342
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

there are no negatives if you use one to two scoops a day
if you use A LOT it could lead to kidney or liver damage and to osteoporosis in some cases

most people who exercise need 100-150 gr. of proteins per day, and one scoop of protein powder gives you 30gr.
and its pretty cheap too
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #343
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
there are no negatives if you use one to two scoops a day
if you use A LOT it could lead to kidney or liver damage and to osteoporosis in some cases

most people who exercise need 100-150 gr. of proteins per day, and one scoop of protein powder gives you 30gr.
and its pretty cheap too
You would really need some abnormal amount of it to cause damage. It's mostly used as PWM because it's fast absorbing protein. Rest of your daily intake should come from food...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #344
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Does anyone have any advice for stalling on military presses? I seem to be stuck at the same weight for a while now and was wondering if there are some other exercises I could incorporate to help it.

PK.

Weighted Dips and Push Presses are probably the best for assistance. Apparently squats as well.

Form-wise.
Here are links:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...overhead_press
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._your_press_up
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...overhead_press

The gist of it is to have a very stable base, to keep your chin back insstead of up, to squeeze the fukk outta your abs and glutes, and to PUSH the HEAD FORWARD. Rippetoe also curves his back at the rise, and pushes hips forward to lock ou.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #345
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
You would really need some abnormal amount of it to cause damage. It's mostly used as PWM because it's fast absorbing protein. Rest of your daily intake should come from food...
yeah, i see a lot of kids nowadays that use way too much of it but dont really eat... calories are just as important
3-4 eggs in the morning, steak or some other meat in the afternoon, protein shake before workout, after too if you want, and something lighter for dinner, like spagheti or potatoes with cottage cheese. Have some nuts, milk and vegetables/fruit inbetween. Its simple.
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: