Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #361
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I feel like I've heard of this guy before. I like. Thanks for sharing.
No probs!

Everyone check this dude out. He's already changed my mentality on Bodybuilding.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #362
plowking
Kevin Hart

Just some thoughts on chest workouts guys.

What have people found is the best way to put on mass? Regular bench? Dumbell press? High volume? Smith Machine?
I've been experimenting with adding more dumbell pressing in my routine throughout the week, though I've noticed the weight carry over to the bench is not that good. Seems to simply help you out with just the dumbell press. I'm currently trying to work my way up to a 400lbs bench for one rep (not close at the moment, 345lbs currently), and I want to be able to do that at my bodyweight currently, which is 212lbs.
I've been doing a lot of heavy two and three rep sets, while adding in a burn set at the end of my pressing movements at 135lbs, for about 25-30 reps. Simply for volume, and to practice pushing the bar up with as much speed as possible.

Obviously gains are going to be slow at this point, but what would people suggest, or what has worked for them to help get through certain plateaus for chest?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #363
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Just some thoughts on chest workouts guys.

What have people found is the best way to put on mass? Regular bench? Dumbell press? High volume? Smith Machine?
I've been experimenting with adding more dumbell pressing in my routine throughout the week, though I've noticed the weight carry over to the bench is not that good. Seems to simply help you out with just the dumbell press. I'm currently trying to work my way up to a 400lbs bench for one rep (not close at the moment, 345lbs currently), and I want to be able to do that at my bodyweight currently, which is 212lbs.
I've been doing a lot of heavy two and three rep sets, while adding in a burn set at the end of my pressing movements at 135lbs, for about 25-30 reps. Simply for volume, and to practice pushing the bar up with as much speed as possible.

Obviously gains are going to be slow at this point, but what would people suggest, or what has worked for them to help get through certain plateaus for chest?

Got damn...345 is pretty damn impressive. Kudos

Right now I just do bench press (5 sets of 5 reps at 240) and elevated pushups (feet up on the 3rd or 4th stair, hands on the ground). Butterflies/chest flies also work pretty good for chest from what I've experienced. Those are my two go-to's
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #364
plowking
Kevin Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Got damn...345 is pretty damn impressive. Kudos

Right now I just do bench press (5 sets of 5 reps at 240) and elevated pushups (feet up on the 3rd or 4th stair, hands on the ground). Butterflies/chest flies also work pretty good for chest from what I've experienced. Those are my two go-to's

I love heavy incline flies. I just started doing weighted dips again as well. Stopped for a long time as they were giving me collarbone/clavicle pain.

At the moment I'm just trying to catch up to Adrian Peterson in terms of lifting stats. Apart from the squat of 530lbs, which I don't think I'll ever reach.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #365
plowking
Kevin Hart

B-low are you sticking to 5 reps for your compound lifts like bench press, but using more reps on exercises like flies, dips, etc? Basically the supplementary exercises?

I ask because I'm doing 8 reps on all my other exercises when it comes to chest, and I'm not sure if its counter intuitive to my goal.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #366
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Yeah I do more on dips. With dips I'll usually do like 2 sets of 25 reps. Bench press I keep at 5 usually though. Mainly cuz I don't have a spotter so I don't wanna push for more and end up stuck under the bar lol. I got stuck under it once and getting out from under it involved a lot of squirming and a lot of bruises on my chest and stomach
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #367
plowking
Kevin Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Yeah I do more on dips. With dips I'll usually do like 2 sets of 25 reps. Bench press I keep at 5 usually though. Mainly cuz I don't have a spotter so I don't wanna push for more and end up stuck under the bar lol. I got stuck under it once and getting out from under it involved a lot of squirming and a lot of bruises on my chest and stomach

The worst I've had is having the barbell rest on one rack higher on one side than the other because I barely got it back up to the lower rack on the right side. People in the gym looked at me funny as the bar was sitting diagonally on the bench press.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #368
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
I love heavy incline flies. I just started doing weighted dips again as well. Stopped for a long time as they were giving me collarbone/clavicle pain.

At the moment I'm just trying to catch up to Adrian Peterson in terms of lifting stats. Apart from the squat of 530lbs, which I don't think I'll ever reach.
You certainly can. That's 2.5x your bodyweight and that's the ideal number for squat.

My nutrition is holding me back. Our current financial situation isn't helping.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #369
plowking
Kevin Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
You certainly can. That's 2.5x your bodyweight and that's the ideal number for squat.

My nutrition is holding me back. Our current financial situation isn't helping.

Meh. Don't want legs that big, nor am I interested in it. I'm happy enough with my squat numbers, and when I tried doing 400lbs the shit was immensely difficult and it felt like I would die.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #370
D-Wade316
F***

Oh shit I forgot. That's supposed to be for deads.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #371
plowking
Kevin Hart

Just finished doing chest not too long ago. Made a big mistake though. Did front squats yesterday, and being completely oblivious to how sore my quads were, I pick up two 110lbs dumbells to place them on my thighs before throwing them up, and the shit nearly killed my legs.
Hurt like a mofo due to how sore my legs were already and the fact I casually threw them onto my thighs/knees. Would have been okay if I placed them properly. And since I usually don't do front squats the day before my chest day, I was oblivious and completely forgot. I let out a little yelp.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #372
Budadiiii
Banned

Quote:
Just finished doing chest not too long ago. Made a big mistake though. Did front squats yesterday, and being completely oblivious to how sore my quads were, I pick up two 110lbs dumbells to place them on my thighs before throwing them up, and the shit nearly killed my legs.
Hurt like a mofo due to how sore my legs were already and the fact I casually threw them onto my thighs/knees. Would have been okay if I placed them properly. And since I usually don't do front squats the day before my chest day, I was oblivious and completely forgot. I let out a little yelp.
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #373
plowking
Kevin Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

Repped.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #374
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

The Herschel Walker workout...1,500 push-ups and 2,000 sit-ups per day. Is there a better workout than that if you can even physically do it (and have the time)?

My boy from work has been doing it for years and he's a tank. Plays low level pro football.

Doesn't weightlift. It's crazy.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #375
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
The Herschel Walker workout...1,500 push-ups and 2,000 sit-ups per day. Is there a better workout than that if you can even physically do it (and have the time)?

Doesn't weightlift. It's crazy.

I personally think weight training will give you the same results with a fraction of the reps (and possibly better results, depending on your genetics).

That being said, Herschel Walker is inspiring. 50 years old + and still has a body of a much younger man. Goes to show you resistant training isn't for young people only, it's for all ages.

Train on bros!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: