Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #406
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,506
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i just do the most common

3-4 sets of dips ( sometimes weighted if im not feeling lazy )
3-4 sets of triceps extensions or 4-5 sets of triceps pushdowns

for biceps just he usual barbell and dumbell curls with more sets and sometimes chinups
for forearms i just do one exercise with barbell where the wrist curls but im told forearms are used in lots of other exercises so i dont really need to exercise them individually... i dont do deadlift too that is probably a negative?

Your tricep exercises are pretty good. You can try adding a few sets skull crushers (I like using the EZ curl bar for this) and close grip bench press to your routine.

I've found concentration curls really work the forearms well. As you said, there's not a real need to do a bunch forearm exercises lifts because they're incorporated into a lot of other lifts.

Add a few sets of hammer curls to your bicep routine, I've found they're great for adding size to your biceps. Try doing drop sets with heavier weight rather than a ton of a reps. Throw in some negative reps at the end of your workouts as well.

Deadlifts are awesome. When I first started working out I was hesitant to do them because I was afraid I would hurt my back/not use proper technique. As soon as I started incorporating them into my back workouts, I noticed a big difference in my overall gains. If you don't have lower back problems, you should definitely do deadlifts and you'll quickly feel the benefits.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #407
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,521
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...
Lucky man you are.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #408
NauruDude
Banned
 
NauruDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Posts: 2,471
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Anyone here got a good weightlifting program for 70kg (154pounds), 180cm (5'11) and about 12% fat. Wanna gain some muscles over the next couple of months before I move abroad in september.

I've got access to a gym with all the neccesary tools.

BEST MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #409
bmulls
Great college starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,678
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...

I knew a college vball player that could do 95 for a solid set (she was tall, like over 6') a figure model that could hit 95 for 2 or 3, and I once worked out with a huge black chick that was friends with one of my buddies. She was playing professional women's football and had just maxed 135 which was one of the incentive clauses in her contract. I've also seen a pretty athletic girl at the gym pushing 135, but her range of motion is awful and her f@ggot boyfriend is always spotting her with hands on the bar so I really doubt she could hit a legit 135. There's another girl at my gym who is tiny but she does squats, bench and deads every time I see her. I'm pretty sure I saw her pressing 75 a few times.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #410
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 17,600
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Your tricep exercises are pretty good. You can try adding a few sets skull crushers (I like using the EZ curl bar for this) and close grip bench press to your routine.

I've found concentration curls really work the forearms well. As you said, there's not a real need to do a bunch forearm exercises lifts because they're incorporated into a lot of other lifts.

Add a few sets of hammer curls to your bicep routine, I've found they're great for adding size to your biceps. Try doing drop sets with heavier weight rather than a ton of a reps. Throw in some negative reps at the end of your workouts as well.

Deadlifts are awesome. When I first started working out I was hesitant to do them because I was afraid I would hurt my back/not use proper technique. As soon as I started incorporating them into my back workouts, I noticed a big difference in my overall gains. If you don't have lower back problems, you should definitely do deadlifts and you'll quickly feel the benefits.
i did those twice so far, starting with the dips then the skull crushers and last the triceps pushdowns... usually at the gym they say do only one or two exercise and keep it simple but ill have to disagree after some time you just gotta do some variety. I also started doing cardio few days ago ( not cardio in the gym on those machines though thats pathetic.. i run in a park, well i have to say the first few days its been tough as f*ck, i feel like im gonna lose my breath ( well i havent really ran since the summer when i played basketball and even then i was lazy usually just waited for the ball to come to me) .. and what i noticed is that i have much more energy for the gym the next day, im not getting tired after 40-45 minutes like i usually did, i can go on for an hour and a half now
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #411
NauruDude
Banned
 
NauruDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Posts: 2,471
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

mission of the day:
• 4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
• 3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #412
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!
 
Levity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: long beach bred
Posts: 4,816
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauruDude
Anyone here got a good weightlifting program for 70kg (154pounds), 180cm (5'11) and about 12% fat. Wanna gain some muscles over the next couple of months before I move abroad in september.

I've got access to a gym with all the neccesary tools.

BEST MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO

Im actually about the same weight and height right now. but i was around 170 before i started lifting regularly and eating healthier. Was able to cut 15 pounds and became a lot more cut after starting this simple program(but also played full court bball games 3 or so times a week) and eventually moving on to the intermediate one.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #413
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 17,600
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

i have been doing bench press as my first chest exercise for few months now, should i change it to incline dumbbell press and move bench press as the second chest exercise?
Third would be incline flies btw.
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #414
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,348
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

Deadlifts are awesome. When I first started working out I was hesitant to do them because I was afraid I would hurt my back/not use proper technique. As soon as I started incorporating them into my back workouts, I noticed a big difference in my overall gains. If you don't have lower back problems, you should definitely do deadlifts and you'll quickly feel the benefits.

I would actually recommend deadlifts to people who do have lower back problems. I used to suffer a few, and as soon as I started deadlifting, I haven't had a single lower back problem since. I don't know exactly how long I've been deadlifting but its been about 2 years I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i have been doing bench press as my first chest exercise for few months now, should i change it to incline dumbbell press and move bench press as the second chest exercise?
Third would be incline flies btw.

You're more about functionality rather than visuals/bodybuilding, correct?
I'd recommend sticking with bench press as your primary/first exercise until you start stalling, and aren't seeing any gains for 2 or 3 weeks. I'd also recommend doing incline barbell if you have the equipment for that. Since you'll be able to push more weight this way, and its going to help you become as strong as possible, which is what you're going for.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #415
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy
 
JEFFERSON MONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pond near u
Posts: 8,607
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Seconded on plowkings DL recommendation.

I neglected that shit for like the past 3 months and I started to have aches on the basketball court.

the thing is that if u do deads properly they STRENGTHEN THE FUKK out of your stomach and your glutes. heels on the floor, shoulders on top of bar, hips back, neutral spine, scapula retracted and down, and pretend that you're Wrapping your entire spine (from the top part of your head around something as you are lifting the bar opposed to violently jerking your lumbar).

and if u have mobile hips your back is protected. and if you have a strong TA muscle your spine is protected. for the most part.

hell this is reason enough to lift. it literally saves u from inevitable bullsh!t that detracts your quality of life down the road eh?

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 04-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #416
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

I third the Deads. Ever since I learned how to dead properly, I feel much better overall. The thing with them (well, pretty much any movement out there actually) is that it's not deadlifting that's causing them pain. It's WHATEVER THE **** THEY'RE DOING that's causing them pain. I would not bring myself to call a "lift" where one's back is as round as a rainbow and their knees are being mistaken for doors because they keep knocking (bad pun, I know). It also exposes what's wrong with you. Aside from possibly being the best strength and mass builder ever, it's also a very good diagnostic tool for one's body.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, I tried a beginner's wrestling and jiu-jitsu class with my friend at a local MMA gym and I was absolutely not prepared for how "homo" it was. I got nutted how many times by my trainer and friend and when we were doing ground work, holy crap, it was just bad. Not to mention the cool downs were weird as ****. Holding each other's leg while hopping on the other. Doing medicine ball sit-ups with our feet anchored on each other's ass, etc. Still, I got nothing for respect for them athletes that go through the rigorous training that wrestling is known for, and I'm actually interested in continuing the class. Anyone with wrestling background here that could convince me to keep at it?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #417
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,348
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Forgot to post about why I actually bumped the thread.

Has anyone had any pain in their traps and neck when turning their head? Like consistently over a long period of time? I'm talking half a year. Its just always a little tingle? I had it for a good year at one point. Then I took some time off gym, came back, started stretching a lot more, and it hadn't come back for a good 6 months of lifting. And now, it seems to be slowly creeping back. Its the right side of my neck/trap. Its a sharp sensation when I try turn my neck to look behind me. Its not ridiculously painful, but just annoying and nagging.

Any ideas? I know trigger point would be good for it, but does anyone have any idea what would cause it over time, and what I should focus on to correct it?

NotYetGreat, keep up the combat sports. They're great for a variety of reasons. Self defense, some of the best fitness out there, and great for functional strength. I did amateur boxing for a long time myself and it was great.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #418
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy
 
JEFFERSON MONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pond near u
Posts: 8,607
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I third the Deads. Ever since I learned how to dead properly, I feel much better overall. The thing with them (well, pretty much any movement out there actually) is that it's not deadlifting that's causing them pain. It's WHATEVER THE **** THEY'RE DOING that's causing them pain. I would not bring myself to call a "lift" where one's back is as round as a rainbow and their knees are being mistaken for doors because they keep knocking (bad pun, I know). It also exposes what's wrong with you. Aside from possibly being the best strength and mass builder ever, it's also a very good diagnostic tool for one's body.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, I tried a beginner's wrestling and jiu-jitsu class with my friend at a local MMA gym and I was absolutely not prepared for how "homo" it was. I got nutted how many times by my trainer and friend and when we were doing ground work, holy crap, it was just bad. Not to mention the cool downs were weird as ****. Holding each other's leg while hopping on the other. Doing medicine ball sit-ups with our feet anchored on each other's ass, etc. Still, I got nothing for respect for them athletes that go through the rigorous training that wrestling is known for, and I'm actually interested in continuing the class. Anyone with wrestling background here that could convince me to keep at it?


All about adaptation and a change of perspective like all things in life my filipino friend.

I remember being queezy in the locker room or whatever changing in front of dude's or when in certain jiujitsu gorund matches it looked like dudes were fukking each other missionary stylebut it's just typical useless fear. No one fukking cares. People just say ehh what the hell purpose of a dude's body is to leverage you to the floor to give u more strength so its just a tool. no sexuality involved. Hell even in basketball dudes literlaly shove their azz in your crotch to get the rebs big deal its just strategy lol.

You must remember your goal first and foremost. To become a badass warrior and a better athlete than the day before. repeat day after day lol. All that lifting is about to pay off Mr. NYG for you have chosen to polish up your wrestling skills concurrently!

As long as you dispense your semen in the orifice of the creature that bubbles F on the Scantron sheets, then you are a heterosexual. Anything else goes.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #419
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,592
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

anyone know how to strengthen my core? getting up off my ass really burns my abs up sometimes
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #420
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,857
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy