Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #421
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Jump-rope
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #422
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
any tips for better conditioning except the obvious -run more, which i do everyday for two weeks but no improvements, its embarrassing

Do supersets or circuit sets.

I do circuit sets for all my muscle groups once every 4 weeks. Obviously drop the weight significantly, and just don't stop.

An example I do for chest is 85kg (185lbs) for 12 reps, then go straight into flys for 15 reps of about 15kg (33lbs), then dips of 10 reps. No rest in between any of that, 3 sets of each, and you're buggered after it. Then I do a nice warm down set of each. Even lighter weight.

Stand alone on these exercises I'd usually do 120kg for 6 on bench, 25kg flys and weighted dips. As you can see I'm taking about 30% off on the big lift in the circuit. I think you mentioned earlier you can already do about 80kg for 7 or 8 reps on bench press? You could probably get away with doing 60kg (135lbs), and adjust the other accordingly for the circuit.

So when I say significant drop, I mean it. Otherwise you won't be able to keep going. So you really need to take it down a notch. You'll still get a great workout since you're not stopping. I never sweat as much as I do then on my circuit days.

And obviously, you can adjust this for any muscle group. Back you can do deadlifts, chin ups and rows. Shoulders can be military press, lateral raise and vertical row. And etc, etc for each different type. Just do your big, heavy lift first in the circuit.

Last edited by plowking : 04-12-2013 at 06:38 AM.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #423
alenleomessi
W

well that sounds good, but isnt recovery time very important for gaining muscle mass?

my main priority is gaining muscle mass, and then everything that comes with it like strength and conditioning

i also lost all the flexibility in my legs and my vertical is pretty pathetic, and with all the bad conditioning not sure how ill play basketball this summer... hell ill probably die in the swimming pool
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #424
D-Wade316
Hillary for POTUS

I feel like pooing if I eat before workout. Been happening for quite some time now. Has this happened to anyone besides me?
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #425
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
well that sounds good, but isnt recovery time very important for gaining muscle mass?

my main priority is gaining muscle mass, and then everything that comes with it like strength and conditioning

i also lost all the flexibility in my legs and my vertical is pretty pathetic, and with all the bad conditioning not sure how ill play basketball this summer... hell ill probably die in the swimming pool

Recovery time is important, of course. You can do that the whole rest of the day.

Its fine to do a circuit set, even if you want to build muscle. Its simply going to tear down more muscle fibres at a time, keep your heart rate up, etc. Its actually great for getting through plateaus on your lifts; at least personally in my experience. Plus you're still challenging yourself strength wise, and as your body fatigues, you're training your body to get stronger at its weakest, that way becoming stronger at its strongest as well.

Your rest between sets is important for your strength lifts, if you're going extremely heavy doing heavy singles or doubles. You want a 3 or 4 minute break in between each lift. But this circuit type set shocks your system, breaks down your muscle, and is actually a very good muscle builder.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #426
AirMike
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:

You should also focus on your diet, it is even more crucial for gaining mass than whether you do sets or supersets...
AirMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #427
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
I feel like pooing if I eat before workout. Been happening for quite some time now. Has this happened to anyone besides me?

I hate eating too much before back workout. Since I'm going to be doing pull ups, and I'm going to feel heavy as hell.

Feeling bloated before a workout sucks.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #428
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316

Hey, it's better than warming up for your training session feeling like you're gonna drop a deuce. Usually happens to me after I take my pre-training coffee.

And do you guys take any pre-workout or food? Damn, I really can't imagine hitting the weights with a meal being digested down there.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #429
D-Wade316
Hillary for POTUS

I don't. My workout is scheduled on mornings so I skip breakfast. Just have to eat my largest meal on dinner.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #430
Rolando
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Hey, it's better than warming up for your training session feeling like you're gonna drop a deuce. Usually happens to me after I take my pre-training coffee.

And do you guys take any pre-workout or food? Damn, I really can't imagine hitting the weights with a meal being digested down there.

I get up at 4AM and am lifting by 5Am. Early on, I discovered that I needed something in the bloodstream to get through a workout. Usually some bread or a banana was what I choose. Then I started using this pre-workout drink powder that had creatine, good sugars, caffiene and Beta Alanine in it. That made a huge difference. Tons of energy and power, first thing in the morning.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #431
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

I need some motivation, I'm probably 2 stone overweight now but cant seem to get back into a routine of working out. I cycle a lot and play football so I need to do more upper body stuff really, anything you guys would recommend?
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #432
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

i got told to post in here since I'm a personal trainer who has lost 51 kilograms (check out my Facebook page)

www.facebook.com/bodywarehouse

and has been able to help others change their style of training and change a lot about their lifestyle.

If you guys need a hand with anything let me know.

For now here's some good motivation music for when your training.

p.s. its the worst song in the world but for some reason before i start squatting or deadlifting this song puts my in the best mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVO5WhIm4uI
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #433
alenleomessi
W

i worked my ass off this month and toned my body a lot but didnt gain not even one kilogram.. i guess i have to take some protein shakes since i just cant eat a lot
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #434
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.

Still hurt!

Been doing mostly Calisthenics. With Shrugs and Curls being my only weighted exercise . Just hoping this injury goes away soon!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #435
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.

Use the cage if you're going to rep out with no spot, or dumbbells.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: