Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #421
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.
im sorry but
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #422
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
im sorry but

LOL..I agree, it's funny if it's not you! Sucks otherwise.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #423
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

come on man wasnt there ANYONE in the gym to help you?
or you were like: nah nah brah i got it i got it get away from me dont touch the bar brah, * rib pop* - dude you are in pain can i help you - nah nah brah i got it i got it * other rib pop* - dude i think something popped - nah nah brah its all cool, no pain no gain
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #424
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
come on man wasnt there ANYONE in the gym to help you?
or you were like: nah nah brah i got it i got it get away from me dont touch the bar brah, * rib pop* - dude you are in pain can i help you - nah nah brah i got it i got it * other rib pop* - dude i think something popped - nah nah brah its all cool, no pain no gain

I was working out at home alone. I had to get that donkey off my chest by myself. Sh!t wasn't pretty.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #425
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.

Out of interest, how did you get the bar off after that?

EDIT: I'm hoping you didn't put safety pins on each side, because that would be a bitch to get off. Rolling it down most likely. I never put pins on when I'm benching alone... In case I need to get the weights off, I push one side up and the weights slide off.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #426
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Out of interest, how did you get the bar off after that?

EDIT: I'm hoping you didn't put safety pins on each side, because that would be a bitch to get off. Rolling it down most likely. I never put pins on when I'm benching alone... In case I need to get the weights off, I push one side up and the weights slide off.

I rolled it down my body scratching the sh!t out of my stomach. Then tilted it off me denting my wall.

Edit. Had clips on too-----like a moron.

Last edited by Zan Tabak : 04-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #427
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I rolled it down my body scratching the sh!t out of my stomach. Then tilted it off me denting my wall.

That's no fun...

I'm guessing you don't have a power/squat rack at your house? I used to bench in their when I would go super heavy and not have anyone in the gym with me. The safety racks would pick it up once I deflated my chest if I couldn't get another rep out.

EDIT: Yeah, clips, not pins lol... What was I thinking. Yeah, I never do bench with them on. You're in such a prone and vulnerable position. Very scary having that coming down on you, and if you do rest it on your chest, it possibly slipping and rolling down to your neck. Not much you can do with them on.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #428
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
That's no fun...

I'm guessing you don't have a power/squat rack at your house? I used to bench in their when I would go super heavy and not have anyone in the gym with me. The safety racks would pick it up once I deflated my chest if I couldn't get another rep out.

EDIT: Yeah, clips, not pins lol... What was I thinking. Yeah, I never do bench with them on. You're in such a prone and vulnerable position. Very scary having that coming down on you, and if you do rest it on your chest, it possibly slipping and rolling down to your neck. Not much you can do with them on.
I do have a power rack but also have a bench press which I was using....should of been in the rack.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #429
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Pissed off!

F**K!

Damn, dawg, that sucks. I've never worked on my bench but at least now I know what to avoid if I do. I hear you on the summer part. Season's just started over here and everybody's trying to get their beach body on. I'm trying to get jacked and ripped as hell too and 3-4 weeks sounds like too much time off. What activities can't you do though? Does it hurt all the time? Anyway, hoping for your speedy recovery, man.

J$ I know right? My brother's been pushing me to join him in that MMA place coz he thinks I'm cut out for all the grappling stuff. Actually grappled with one of my friends yesterday and he couldn't get a good position on me. Granted, he's around 20 pounds lighter than me and I'm sure I'm stronger than him. He had experience though so I try to make that the reason for us evening out. And yeah, I hear ya on the awkwardness. I really don't mind either. My friend and I were just laughing it off the whole time. I just didn't expect some of the stuff we did to look that damn funky.

Plow, woah, boxing? I actually wanted to take that before at the same place but I focused on weights and balling. Sometimes, I think though that if ever ai do continue going to that place, I should also take some striking, coz you can brawl with a group but you can't wrestle 4 guys at once (unless it's WWE style haha). And yo, do you mean when you turn sometimes the muscles there just cramp up to an unholy degree? If yeah then I used to get that lot too, but most often during basketball games. When I made quick turns or usually when I jump for rebounds, it happens. I don't know why. It's lessened significantly though I didn't really do anything for it. I'll just attribute it to the training, thoug cracking my neck does give that good, loose feeling.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #430
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
What activities can't you do though? Does it hurt all the time? Anyway, hoping for your speedy recovery, man.

Thanks man!

I can't do any kind of weighted press except for Pushups, for some reason they don't hurt. It doesn't hurt all the time only when I press something. (feels like someone jabbing the dull end of a pencil into my rib cage really hard) Pull ups and chin ups also hurt.

So basically all I can do is Push ups, curls, bent over rows, shrugs, abs and calves.

At this point I'm just trying not to LOSE any muscle.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #431
pinhead
Great young streetballer

pinhead has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partspinhead has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partspinhead has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partspinhead has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partspinhead has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

I would never go to the gym. Full of egotistical meatheads. Every time I see a bloke lifting weights he looks like a jackass.

Swimming, now there is an exercise. I swim a mile 3 or 4 times a week and it makes you have a much better body than the gym ever will.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #432
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
I would never go to the gym. Full of egotistical meatheads. Every time I see a bloke lifting weights he looks like a jackass.

Swimming, now there is an exercise. I swim a mile 3 or 4 times a week and it makes you have a much better body than the gym ever will.

Swimming is a great exercise. The only problem is, if you just stick to that as your main exercise with little of anything else, particularly impact stuff like weights, running, etc, then you're not doing any favors for your bone density.

Its important to maintain good, strong, healthy bones. And you do need some kind of resistance/impact training such as running/weights/plyo for it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #433
NYCPG
Kids at the park dunk on me

NYCPG has decent reputation

Quote:

Said like a true *****
NYCPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #434
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:

I do greatly enjoy swimming, even if I'm not that good at it, but you don't HAVE to do it like those egotistical meatheads that demand an extra 10 reps of bicep curls while exclaiming "It's all you, BRO.". I hate how weight training now has become solely represented to jackshit attempts at bodybuilding when the true essence of iron doesn't agree with that. Granted, I'm not an iron athlete either but I have found joy and results in getting stronger and bigger without the superficial pumping of one's show muscles.

Plus you'll find strength training plays a pivotal role in swimmers' athletic improvement regimens too. This is one case I can think of where you shouldn't hate on the game, but hate on the player.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #435
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Thanks man!

I can't do any kind of weighted press except for Pushups, for some reason they don't hurt. It doesn't hurt all the time only when I press something. (feels like someone jabbing the dull end of a pencil into my rib cage really hard) Pull ups and chin ups also hurt.

So basically all I can do is Push ups, curls, bent over rows, shrugs, abs and calves.

At this point I'm just trying not to LOSE any muscle.

Yeah, I can imagine anything that involves a great amount of tension from your trunk muscles and any overhead stress/movements would be kinda painful. Anyway, that's not bad though. A good cycle of those movements for the month while your ribs recover won't do you bad. At least it seems you're gonna be focusing on pulling for the meantime, and being a heavy puller definitely helps in being a heavy presser. Good that you can still find ways, man.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: