Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
ur crazy

milk's good post work-out? i've thought about trying a protein powder rather sparingly, i don't get a lot of protein in my diet and even though i'm not trying to bulk up, i reckon that lack is having some influence on my muscles

i've been thinking of starting to swim as well, i've got a horrible upper body physique, it'd be nice to look a little more tone
Milk's one of the best natural protein drinks you can get. Whey protein is taken from cow's milk. Main problem with it is the high calorie intake.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
RidonKs
NBA Legend

i've never been heavier than 155 at about 5"10 so calorie intake is not much of a worry, especially because in the summer im just naturally active. and thanks, i figured as much, knew where protein powder came from but i'm totally new to actually trying to figure out a truly healthy diet. i tend to just eat cheap which lends itself to a healthy diet regardless... just not a balanced diet. lol

another question: i'm looking for some high protein and cheap foods for my bike trip, stuff that doesn't require any heat as i won't be doing any cooking. so far my eyes are on lots of beans and i might try to suck up my age-old hatred of tuna fish and give it a shot... any other suggestions? and also general foodie tips for an extended 5-6 day trip with loads of energy being spent daily?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #33
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
i've never been heavier than 155 at about 5"10 so calorie intake is not much of a worry, especially because in the summer im just naturally active. and thanks, i figured as much, knew where protein powder came from but i'm totally new to actually trying to figure out a truly healthy diet. i tend to just eat cheap which lends itself to a healthy diet regardless... just not a balanced diet. lol

another question: i'm looking for some high protein and cheap foods for my bike trip, stuff that doesn't require any heat as i won't be doing any cooking. so far my eyes are on lots of beans and i might try to suck up my age-old hatred of tuna fish and give it a shot... any other suggestions? and also general foodie tips for an extended 5-6 day trip with loads of energy being spent daily?
Some times you'll have to check labels on...

Milk
Yogurt
Certain Cheeses
peanut butter
peanuts
tofu

Chicken breast if you can get it is aewsome for protein, lean, about 30 grams in a 3.5 oz breast.

Beef jerky
cottage cheese with some type of fruit (i know people who have mixed dark chocolate with cottage cheese)
tuna
protein bars
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #34
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:

You a fan of tofu? Relatively high protein content. Get it cubed and it might go nicely with whatever beans you carry.

Quote:
30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 2-3 miles depending upon what I felt like doing. At first I would run at 5 for 30, then upgrade to 6 for 30, 7 for 30, 8 for 30 then walk or powerwalk at 3 or 4 for 1 minute, then start the cycle over again, then at the 25 minute mark I would sprint at 10 for 30 seconds, I can now do 10 for 60 seconds. Then i would slow down the walk to 0 until 30 minutes. Usually that would equal 2.0 to 2.4 miles.

Damn there's no way I can run 30 minutes straight. By the end of my last week though I was able to push out 15 minutes, might've been able to get more but my shins started to hurt like hell so I walked for a couple minutes and started up again.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 05-24-2012 at 11:54 PM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #35
RidonKs
NBA Legend

yea i do some tofu. little pricier but prolly worth it for a decent meal or two if i mix with fresh veg and beans. nothing gourmet but better than nine pb sandwiches per day lol

and yeah, i reckon nuts would make for a great midday snack/fuel up alongside fruit and sandwich

thanks fellas
Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #36
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Damn there's no way I can run 30 minutes straight. By the end of my last week though I was able to push out 15 minutes, might've been able to get more but my shins started to hurt like hell so I walked for a couple minutes and started up again.
hey, here's a stretch if you're inflexible re: touching your toes. when i used to run a year or two ago, i'd get horrible splints. i just started running again, just so happens after i implemented this stretch on a near-daily basis, haven't felt any pain whatsoever and i'm confident in attributing it to this stretch tho theres a possibility they're unconnected

you elevate your toes by about an inch or so with a book or something, and have a box or table or something in front of you, about 1-2 feet high with a hard flat surface (height obv depends on your flexibility). simple really, you just lock your knees and get your hands flat on the box in front and push down as hard as you can for five seconds, really feeling the strain on your calves. spring back up with your shoulders back, good posture, and your neck pulled back (as opposed to up) so that its straight with your spine, and your waist flexed outward so your back makes a slight curve. with all of those in place, you reach for the stars with your hands as high as you possible can, hold for five seconds.

5 reps, five sets... after that, i'm dead. i'd actually never comfortably touched my toes my whole life before starting this, now its easy.

Last edited by RidonKs : 05-25-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #37
Ketchup
boogie like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
5'11" 165 (Lost blood, weight lately due to rigorous summer class + job)

Goals: To be ready to become Marines officer.

Starting Strength + H.I.I.T. + some Karate and JiuJItsu

Bench: 3 x 5 190
Squat: 3 x 5 290
Dead: 1 x 5 335 Double Overhand 1max mixed is much higher

Pullups: 15

I'm actually quite happy with my pullups now that I've seen a post like this, since I remember you being quite fit. I managed to get 17 dead hang pull ups out at the start of my workout last night. This at my current weight of 225lbs at 6'3.
I never really ranked my functional/bodyweight exercise strength that highly, though it's nice to know I'm decent.

Currently I'm just doing compound lifts at the gym since I've dropped around 15lbs now that I have no interest in playing rugby again. Since the drop in weight I've felt my numbers on the lifts go down slightly, so trying to get back to the same strength at a lower weight.

Bench: 4 x 6 of 265lbs
Squat: 4 x 6 of 315lbs
Deadlift: Pyramid until I reach 1 rep of about 480lbs.

Overhead press: 4 x 6 of 180lbs
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #38
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
hey, here's a stretch if you're inflexible re: touching your toes. when i used to run a year or two ago, i'd get horrible splints. i just started running again, just so happens after i implemented this stretch on a near-daily basis, haven't felt any pain whatsoever and i'm confident in attributing it to this stretch tho theres a possibility they're unconnected

you elevate your toes by about an inch or so with a book or something, and have a box or table or something in front of you, about 1-2 feet high with a hard flat surface (height obv depends on your flexibility). simple really, you just lock your knees and get your hands flat on the box in front and push down as hard as you can for five seconds, really feeling the strain on your calves. spring back up with your shoulders back, good posture, and your neck pulled back (as opposed to up) so that its straight with your spine, and your waist flexed outward so your back makes a slight curve. with all of those in place, you reach for the stars with your hands as high as you possible can, hold for five seconds.

5 reps, five sets... after that, i'm dead. i'd actually never comfortably touched my toes my whole life before starting this, now its easy.
I'm definitely going to try giving that a shot. Its funny when I concentrated just on lifting the heaviest weights I can I always made sure to get in my stretching routine. I stopped going to the gym for a couple months, but now that I'm back and running I haven't taken as much time out to stretch as I should.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #39
RidonKs
NBA Legend

g'luck man, word of advice: it'll hurt like hell to start, especially if you aren't very flexible in that way to start, but power on through it. unlike other exercises, this is just stretching so it gets easier as you go; fifth set is a cakewalk compared to the first lol

you can also do it every day for the same reason, tho waking up and knowing that this awaits you really extended my sleep-ins more than i care to admit
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #40
Geriatric
Old Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Now that I think about it, I'd appreciate it someone giving me advice on foods to eat.

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs. I'm trying to build muscle mass, so I've been munching on a lot of chicken and drink 2% milk lately.

I've recently started P90X too. Mid-way through the second week so no real visible results but do feel stronger.

Thought I'd give you an example of my grocery list and see if anything on it sounded like something you'd like to incorporate.

100% Whey Powder

Tuna fish (Sprinkle a little adobo on it and it tastes great)

Peanut Butter (only ingredients should be peanuts and salt)

Unsweetened almond milk

Egg whites

Turkey sausage (a little fat here but great protein)

Spinach (Vitamin K, digestive help)

Raw almonds (not salted)

Protein bars (watch for sugar here)

Salmon (I like the burgers)

Chicken (skinless, lean white meat)

Ground turkey

Strawberries and grapes (satisfy my sweet tooth)

Raw veggies

Good luck with your efforts. I know I'm enjoying the program so far.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #41
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchup
I'm actually quite happy with my pullups now that I've seen a post like this, since I remember you being quite fit. I managed to get 17 dead hang pull ups out at the start of my workout last night. This at my current weight of 225lbs at 6'3.
I never really ranked my functional/bodyweight exercise strength that highly, though it's nice to know I'm decent.

Currently I'm just doing compound lifts at the gym since I've dropped around 15lbs now that I have no interest in playing rugby again. Since the drop in weight I've felt my numbers on the lifts go down slightly, so trying to get back to the same strength at a lower weight.

Bench: 4 x 6 of 265lbs
Squat: 4 x 6 of 315lbs
Deadlift: Pyramid until I reach 1 rep of about 480lbs.

Overhead press: 4 x 6 of 180lbs

Very impressive :)

Google 5/3/1 scale to get a guage of where you stand. Add 20 or 30 more pounds and you'll be at elite level broski. Currently at intermediate right now.. gotta buckle down and get strong!! gr

DamN I swear you aussies pack on strength so fast living in that perpetual VIt D climate and that lax lifestyle. FOo dprices are skyrocket high tho lol.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #42
Ketchup
boogie like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Very impressive :)

Google 5/3/1 scale to get a guage of where you stand. Add 20 or 30 more pounds and you'll be at elite level broski. Currently at intermediate right now.. gotta buckle down and get strong!! gr

DamN I swear you aussies pack on strength so fast living in that perpetual VIt D climate and that lax lifestyle. FOo dprices are skyrocket high tho lol.

Yeah, don't know if my balkan genes have anything to do with it, but I pack on weight quickly. The reason I'm actually slimming down apart from rugby is due to back problems as well, so adding 20-30lbs isn't something I'd like to do since I've found the heavier I go, the more it seems to appear. While under 230lbs I've never experienced it.
Yeah, it's not exactly easy getting in 200g of protein in a day with the food prices, but I manage to get in about 120g before noon with a big breakfast and snack. Only good thing is that kangaroo meat is similarly priced to other meats and it's far better in terms of nutritional value for my goals. Protein rich, low carb and low fat.

I do need to get myself some whey protein though. Haven't had any in months, and it's hard getting all that protein from food.

Also, for anyone looking to add to their flat bench press numbers, look to start off with incline bench press first in your routine for about 4 weeks. Do it twice a week as well. After that I noticed a nice 10-15lbs gain in my max lift.
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #43
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Damn, J$, I was expecting you to be a REALLY big-ass mofo. But yeah, stress, and LOTS of it, even with some good nutrition will really do you bad. We're roughly the same actually though, body-wise. I'm like 6 feet and at the same weight. I used to be 170 but I had a lot of fat. I was surprised I got down to 158 after a couple months of training hard. Got a little bit of weight back and mostly muscle. Got tested for body fat and it said I was 9.8% only, but somehow doubt coz I still can't see all 6 of my abdominals. Hoping to get back up to 170 lbs at the VERY LEAST. I started doing intermittent fasting (for those of you looking to lose fat or simply just an "alternative" way of getting healthier, I suggest you look at it) and of course, it's not your typical bodybuilding bulking diet, but it's helped me gain that 7 lbs in the last couple of months, along with my training.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #44
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Now that I think about it, I'd appreciate it someone giving me advice on foods to eat.

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs. I'm trying to build muscle mass, so I've been munching on a lot of chicken and drink 2% milk lately.

2%?! GET ON THAT FULL FAT SHIT!! Honestly, right now, anything low-fat and man-made pisses me off. Low-fat diets are crap perpetrated by food manufacturers and pharmacies to keep you fat and unhealthy in order for you to buy more of their meds and "healthy" food. I think you know that already though, but yeah, just felt like rantin'.

You gotta get on some other meats man! Beef, pork, fish, whatever you can find. I honestly think it doesn't matter whether you get the lean or fatty cuts of the animal coz you can just add healthy fats through oils (coconut, nut oil, olive oil; just NOT any of those vegetable/palm/canola oil shit. That's gonna ruin your body). Plus you have to eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables. The live enzymes in them will help you digest whatever you eat even better, plus they're usually good, low-glycemic (but not necessarily low-carb; I honestly don't think it matters but if you're on that low-carb stuff, you could save the sweet fruits for night-time). One trick too when you're gaining mass is to get a bottle of olive oil or any healthy oil and just pour 2 or so tablespoons of that stuff on whatever you're eating. Adds in extra calories plus healthy fats are CRITICAL for creation of hormones that are important for building muscle. After you train too, for the next 3 hours, that's when you suck up food like a mofo. Make sure it's clean though. You can have SOME junk-ish food but keep it minimal. Honestly, I'd prefer you focus on your proteins and fats before you train, and then load up on the carbs after you train. I'm a firm believer that bulking and cutting is the wrong way to go, even if you're a bodybuilder. It just messes with your body too much for it to be good for you. You may not exactly feel it, but it'll catch up too.

Anyway, that's my 2 centavos. Sorry if I put you to sleep.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #45
SlayerEnraged
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Just been doing a lot of weights lately while i wait for my hamstring to heal completely (had a BAD pull a couple months back and it still feels weird). Before I pulled that i was a few weeks into Rushfit and i can't wait to get back into that cuz I was loving the program. Pretty happy with how things are looking heading into summer though so hopefully i can build on that.

Currently at 5'9 and 195 pounds.

I always complain about injuries but I never take time off of them lol. Only time I do is certain ankle sprains where I sually do loads of calf stretches and ankle stretches and then force myself to run some.
SlayerEnraged is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: