Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #436
D-Wade316
F***

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

NYG, how many times do you eat? Been eating only twice a day for over a week now. Sucks. My heels feels like shit everytime I go to bed. I've lost weight too.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #437
D-Wade316
F***

Man are ordinary dudes so scared of squatting. I adviced a fellow gym member to squat instead of doing leg press and he told me he is too "tired". And if they do they only perform a half squat. The gym trainer actually told me that squatting at full depth would hurt the knee, long ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #438
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
Man are ordinary dudes so scared of squatting. I adviced a fellow gym member to squat instead of doing leg press and he told me he is too "tired". And if they do they only perform a half squat. The gym trainer actually told me that squatting at full depth would hurt the knee, long ago.

Well, to be fair to the trainer the vast majority of people don't have the mobility in their hip flexors to preform a deep squat safely and properly. As soon as your shins break perpindicular to the floor and your knees move in front of your ankles you are putting shearing force on your knees. You have to stretch for a while before you are able to squat deep with good form.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #439
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Yep, the vast majority of people have no clue about squats. They just think that they are dangerous. Myself, I go all the way down, ass to grass without any problems in 9 months now of training.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #440
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
NYG, how many times do you eat? Been eating only twice a day for over a week now. Sucks. My heels feels like shit everytime I go to bed. I've lost weight too.

Just my morning coffee around 30 mins after I wake up then my two meals. I eat a somewhat light lunch. Usually a serving or two of some proteins and some veggies and a fruit. Night time is when I unleash the beast. I'm still not ripped to shreds but doing it this way for the last year has helped me get bigger and lean up a but more.

What do you mean by your heels hurt though? Actually, one of my brothers tried doing the same thing I did but he always slept late (I made sure to be snoozing at 11 latest. He would be around 2 or even 3) and often times, he wouldn't feast at night. That plus it probably just wasn't his thing. When he was on the same eating habits I was in, he was getting mini black-outs and dizziness (one time, he actually fainted just deadlifting a 15-lbs kettlebell). If it's not working out for you WHEN you're doing everything else right, then you probably shouldn't do it.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #441
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Does anyone use a George Foreman grill to cook their meat/fish? I was looking over BB.com and a lot of guys seem recommend it. I'm looking at a few on Amazon but I wanted to research it a little more first
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #442
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
I would never go to the gym. Full of egotistical meatheads. Every time I see a bloke lifting weights he looks like a jackass.

Swimming, now there is an exercise. I swim a mile 3 or 4 times a week and it makes you have a much better body than the gym ever will.

That's why I go to the gym at 11pm/12am-ish.

Completely empty and I can use whatever machine I want.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #443
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

any tips for better conditioning except the obvious -run more, which i do everyday for two weeks but no improvements, its embarrassing
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #444
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Jump-rope
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #445
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
any tips for better conditioning except the obvious -run more, which i do everyday for two weeks but no improvements, its embarrassing

Do supersets or circuit sets.

I do circuit sets for all my muscle groups once every 4 weeks. Obviously drop the weight significantly, and just don't stop.

An example I do for chest is 85kg (185lbs) for 12 reps, then go straight into flys for 15 reps of about 15kg (33lbs), then dips of 10 reps. No rest in between any of that, 3 sets of each, and you're buggered after it. Then I do a nice warm down set of each. Even lighter weight.

Stand alone on these exercises I'd usually do 120kg for 6 on bench, 25kg flys and weighted dips. As you can see I'm taking about 30% off on the big lift in the circuit. I think you mentioned earlier you can already do about 80kg for 7 or 8 reps on bench press? You could probably get away with doing 60kg (135lbs), and adjust the other accordingly for the circuit.

So when I say significant drop, I mean it. Otherwise you won't be able to keep going. So you really need to take it down a notch. You'll still get a great workout since you're not stopping. I never sweat as much as I do then on my circuit days.

And obviously, you can adjust this for any muscle group. Back you can do deadlifts, chin ups and rows. Shoulders can be military press, lateral raise and vertical row. And etc, etc for each different type. Just do your big, heavy lift first in the circuit.

Last edited by plowking : 04-12-2013 at 06:38 AM.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #446
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

well that sounds good, but isnt recovery time very important for gaining muscle mass?

my main priority is gaining muscle mass, and then everything that comes with it like strength and conditioning

i also lost all the flexibility in my legs and my vertical is pretty pathetic, and with all the bad conditioning not sure how ill play basketball this summer... hell ill probably die in the swimming pool
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #447
D-Wade316
F***

I feel like pooing if I eat before workout. Been happening for quite some time now. Has this happened to anyone besides me?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #448
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
well that sounds good, but isnt recovery time very important for gaining muscle mass?

my main priority is gaining muscle mass, and then everything that comes with it like strength and conditioning

i also lost all the flexibility in my legs and my vertical is pretty pathetic, and with all the bad conditioning not sure how ill play basketball this summer... hell ill probably die in the swimming pool

Recovery time is important, of course. You can do that the whole rest of the day.

Its fine to do a circuit set, even if you want to build muscle. Its simply going to tear down more muscle fibres at a time, keep your heart rate up, etc. Its actually great for getting through plateaus on your lifts; at least personally in my experience. Plus you're still challenging yourself strength wise, and as your body fatigues, you're training your body to get stronger at its weakest, that way becoming stronger at its strongest as well.

Your rest between sets is important for your strength lifts, if you're going extremely heavy doing heavy singles or doubles. You want a 3 or 4 minute break in between each lift. But this circuit type set shocks your system, breaks down your muscle, and is actually a very good muscle builder.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #449
AirMike
Serious playground baller

Quote:

You should also focus on your diet, it is even more crucial for gaining mass than whether you do sets or supersets...
AirMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #450
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
I feel like pooing if I eat before workout. Been happening for quite some time now. Has this happened to anyone besides me?

I hate eating too much before back workout. Since I'm going to be doing pull ups, and I'm going to feel heavy as hell.

Feeling bloated before a workout sucks.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: