Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #451
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
I feel like pooing if I eat before workout. Been happening for quite some time now. Has this happened to anyone besides me?

Hey, it's better than warming up for your training session feeling like you're gonna drop a deuce. Usually happens to me after I take my pre-training coffee.

And do you guys take any pre-workout or food? Damn, I really can't imagine hitting the weights with a meal being digested down there.
NotYetGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #452
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

I don't. My workout is scheduled on mornings so I skip breakfast. Just have to eat my largest meal on dinner.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #453
Rolando
High School Starter

Rolando has decent reputationRolando has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Hey, it's better than warming up for your training session feeling like you're gonna drop a deuce. Usually happens to me after I take my pre-training coffee.

And do you guys take any pre-workout or food? Damn, I really can't imagine hitting the weights with a meal being digested down there.

I get up at 4AM and am lifting by 5Am. Early on, I discovered that I needed something in the bloodstream to get through a workout. Usually some bread or a banana was what I choose. Then I started using this pre-workout drink powder that had creatine, good sugars, caffiene and Beta Alanine in it. That made a huge difference. Tons of energy and power, first thing in the morning.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #454
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board

I need some motivation, I'm probably 2 stone overweight now but cant seem to get back into a routine of working out. I cycle a lot and play football so I need to do more upper body stuff really, anything you guys would recommend?
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #455
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Mamba has decent reputationMamba has decent reputation

i got told to post in here since I'm a personal trainer who has lost 51 kilograms (check out my Facebook page)

www.facebook.com/bodywarehouse

and has been able to help others change their style of training and change a lot about their lifestyle.

If you guys need a hand with anything let me know.

For now here's some good motivation music for when your training.

p.s. its the worst song in the world but for some reason before i start squatting or deadlifting this song puts my in the best mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVO5WhIm4uI
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #456
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

i worked my ass off this month and toned my body a lot but didnt gain not even one kilogram.. i guess i have to take some protein shakes since i just cant eat a lot
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #457
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.

Still hurt!

Been doing mostly Calisthenics. With Shrugs and Curls being my only weighted exercise . Just hoping this injury goes away soon!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #458
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Pissed off!

I was doing Bench last Saturday (by myself) and was doing a record best for me 240lbs. Got to 9 reps (and for some reason) thought I had one more left in me, BIG MISTAKE!. As I brought the bar down I completely failed, I couldn't lift the bar off of me so I decided to rest it on my chest (<<<<super idiot!!) as I did this I felt two pops go off in my rib cage.

Now I have cracked ribs and it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Now I can't really do any training and the momentum I was building towards summer is pissed down the drain.

F**K!

Learn from my mistake. If your working without a spotter, and your not sure if you have one more rep in you or not <<don't push it. Better safe than sorry.

Use the cage if you're going to rep out with no spot, or dumbbells.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #459
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Use the cage if you're going to rep out with no spot, or dumbbells.

In Hindsight yes your right. But at the time I didn't think I was in danger, kinda like not looking both ways before you cross the street. It was a stupid mistake.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #460
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
In Hindsight yes your right. But at the time I didn't think I was in danger, kinda like not looking both ways before you cross the street. It was a stupid mistake.

You never know, oneday you can be a beast in the gym and throw around weight like a madman then the next week that very same weight feels like it's a ton. I almost broke my ribs a few weeks ago with a really light weight because the bar rolled in my hands.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #461
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
You never know, oneday you can be a beast in the gym and throw around weight like a madman then the next week that very same weight feels like it's a ton. I almost broke my ribs a few weeks ago with a really light weight because the bar rolled in my hands.
you just have to be careful and know your limits on certain days, some days you'll have more carbohydrates, you'll be eating cleaner, and some days you wouldn't have eaten as well as you should've.

Don't think because you took your pre-workout or had a mug of coffee you'll be able to lift as much as you did the week before.

The best way to maintain the amount of weight you push and to push more weight is to watch your diet. It doesn't have to be the cleanest thing in the world. But it does have to be consistent, if you want to consistently gain muscle.

If your looking to pack on some muscle or looking for a good diet plan I'd be happy to write you one up. This is my personal training Facebook page www.facebook.com/BodyWarehouse Hit me with an inbox there and I'd be more than happy to give a hand :)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #462
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

A good read for those trying to pack on muscle:

Hey guys, I'm currently on this bulking workout (trying to pack muscle on) and if you guys would like to try it, it is something i would recommend. This type of training is called German Volume Training (GVT) where you overload your muscle fibres with the same repetitive compound exercises.

There are two stages to the GVT (the second stage is my own little creation and it has worked pretty well)

This requires 3 days of training and you can start this at any level of training. Make sure you split your days.
Your break between sets should be a minimum of 60 seconds and a maximum of 90 seconds.

Stage 1, 6 weeks:

Day 1. Chest/Back:

First exercise: Bench Press. 10 sets of 10 at the same weight. If you don't have a spot move to a smith machine after the 6th set. Drop the weight if you absolutely have to and always push out 10 reps.

Second exercise: Bend Over rows with an overhand grip. 10 sets of 10 at the same weight. Never perform this exercise on a smith machine. you will throw your back out of whack if you do.

Third exercise: Incline dumbbell flies: 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions: Self explanatory. Make sure your form is perfect before you up your weight. You don't want to be the guy that dislocates his shoulder in the gym.

Fourth exercise: Wide grip pull ups: 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions: Self explanatory. Switch to wide grip pull up if you can not support your own body weight.

Day 2: Legs and Abs

First exercise: Squats. 10 sets of 10 rep. Make sure your feet are set shoulder width apart, and that your arse can reach a complete parallel level with the floor before you up the weight.

Second exercise: lying down hamstring curls. 10 sets of 10 repetitions. Self explanatory.

Third exercise: Seated calve raises. 3 sets of 20. Make sure you can have a full extension of your calve. To maximise range of motion remove shoes and do the exercise barefoot. You will feel the burn much more.

Fourth exercise: Hanging leg raises. 3 sets of 12-15. Pull yourself up on a chin up bar. Keep your arms at 90 degrees. Have a slight bend at your knees and raise your legs up.

Day 3:Arms and Shoulders.

Many of you will wonder why i threw shoulders in with your arms. You already work your shoulders a lot on your first day of the exercise program. Bench Press really targets your front felt, whilst the bend over rows target your rear delts. The only thing missing is your lateral deltoid. This will be worked this day.

exercise 1: Close grip bench press. 10 sets of 10 repetitions. make sure your hands are parallel to your shoulders when you clinch the bar, and your elbows are always going along side your ribs and lats, rather then further out. Probably the best tricep exercise i've ever done.

exercise 2: Bicep Preacher curl with the z-bar. 10 sets of 10 repetitions. Pretty self explanatory. Make sure you have a full extension before you up the weight.

exercise 3: lateral shoulder raises. 4 sets of 10-12. Shoulders are an endurance muscle. Want to see them grow? Max your reps with them. Keep elbows at 90 degrees, and never go higher then your neck level.

exercise 4: Shrugs. 4 sets of 20. Do these any which way you want with bar with dumbbells, front rear or to the side. Just make sure your traps are burning before you leave the gym!!

Complete stage 1 over the next 6 weeks and then move to stage 2.

Stage 2 is a change in repetitions. For maximum growth we change exercises 1 and 2 of each day to repetitions of 6. You will increase the weight you push by approximately 20-30 percent.

This is by far my favourite training program of all training programs i have tried. I've increased my weight from 88 kilograms to 95 kilograms in a matter of 9 weeks (with proper nutrition) and no change I'n my waist.

If you have any inquiries please quote me or if you like inbox me on my Facebook page.

www.facebook.com/BodyWarehouse
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #463
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

My brother went through a couple cycles of GVT and he got a bit bigger. Didn't gain as much as you did but I wouldn't be surprised if the scale moved up around 8 pounds. As long as you get a pump with a heavy weight, you're gonna set the stage for growth.

I'm a stickler for form though and I cringe whenever he shows me his videos of PRs. The other day he shot himself doing 220 lbs on the back squat (With his training age, I'd have expected him to reach that long ago) and he couldn't even get histhigh to go parallel. The whole night he was trying to justify his form.
NotYetGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #464
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

100 reps of squats sounds absolutely insane,,,,

Would it be more advantageous to divide the reps by four and pack on more weight?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #465
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
100 reps of squats sounds absolutely insane,,,,

Would it be more advantageous to divide the reps by four and pack on more weight?
With myself I had a bad car accident a few years ago. My range of motion is limited when i have added weight, so even though i can squat 100 kilograms 20-25 times consecutively, my 1 rep max is 140 kilograms.

GVT is great for me because i still get to grow get a full range of motion and gain lots of strength when squatting.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: