Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #511
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Do people have a dedicated arm day, or do you just work in triceps with chest and biceps with back?

I notice I've lost a bit of size in my arms, though I've stopped doing them completely recently (last few weeks) as a isolating exercise (aka bicep curls, tricep pulldowns, etc) as I've been focusing simply on getting a few of my major lifts up in weight. I've done that now, and want to get back to simply just looking good.

Do most people have a dedicated arm day, or mix it in with your other body parts? Which have you found to be more effective? I used to have a dedicated arm day, but I'm thinking to work it in this time, since I like having 2 chest or back days alternating each week.

I always have a dedicated arm day although I'll occasionally work in triceps with my chest workout. Works well for me.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #512
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Just realized that I've been chronically undereating literally 90% of the days these past 2 years. No wonder my deadlift blasted up to 415 within less than 9 months and then stalled for months... Time to up the calories big time. 5 meals or bust. Commuting and work interfere though.

If I have to I'll chug down olive oil with OJ. Take on extra helpings of whatever. No more fukks given about abs.

Time to become a motherfukking Marine. Six months left. Enough of this excuse bullsh!t.

Three day split with minimal equipment.

Legs/Shoulders
1) Pistol Squat 4 Sets. Max Reps.
2) Handstand Pushups. 4 Sets. Max Reps
3) Hindu Pushups. 4 sets*Max
4) Hamstring Curls with Ball or imitation Ham Glute Raise. 4 sets.
5) That Side Plank thing for the delts

Chest/Tri/Abs/Cardio
1) One Arm Pushup
2) Tigerbend Pushup + Bodyweight Skullcrusher ghetto version
3) Fist Wide Pushup
4) Leg Lifts
5) Janda Sit Up
6) RKC Plank
7) Russian Ballet Hip Thrust
8) Run

Back/Bis/Abs*Speed*
Run a few sprints. Perfect form uphill
1) One Arm Chin UPs (Not real one arm) + Straight Bar Dips
2) Wide grip pull ups
3) Chin ups
4) Hanging Leg Raises
5) Standing Board Jumps

Hill Sprints * 5 or so
Jump Rope (Double Under and speed footwork) in interval sessions

Let's go. MUST. GET. DRESS. BLUES. Long way off but anythings possible.

Congrats on joining the Corp, I've just recently signed a SEAL contract. I ship out in August.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #513
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Do people have a dedicated arm day, or do you just work in triceps with chest and biceps with back?

I notice I've lost a bit of size in my arms, though I've stopped doing them completely recently (last few weeks) as a isolating exercise (aka bicep curls, tricep pulldowns, etc) as I've been focusing simply on getting a few of my major lifts up in weight. I've done that now, and want to get back to simply just looking good.

Do most people have a dedicated arm day, or mix it in with your other body parts? Which have you found to be more effective? I used to have a dedicated arm day, but I'm thinking to work it in this time, since I like having 2 chest or back days alternating each week.

I used to have a dedicated day, but now I just hit them twice a week while doing PHAT which gives me a lot of volume. I can hit them really hard on both days, and I've noticed a decent increase in size from doing this.

Today for instance was upper power day, so I did this in addition to major lifts (row/bench/OHP)

4 sets weighted dips
3 sets weighted pullups
3 sets straight bar curls
3 sets DB tricep extension
3 sets tricep pushdowns
2 sets cambered bar curls

And then on Friday I have another day where they will get hit with close grip bench, more weighted dips, more curls etc but with higher reps.

Last edited by abuC : 05-01-2013 at 01:55 AM.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #514
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just to further the talk on arms, I just watched this Kai Greene video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4

Did my arm workout, and followed the advice. Damn is all I can say....
I'm usually bicep curling 50lbs after 4 sets of chin ups, but doing that squeezing and contracting method (and I'm talking about hard squeezes), 25lbs dumbbells feel like 100lbs.
I think this is a much better method of adding mass to you arms instead of going reasonably heavy. Obviously not so heavy that you start swinging, which you see a lot of people do in the gym.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #515
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

All this talk about arm day made me want to do squats.

Here's a vid of me doing a double on the Front Squat:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=o1MLqoPcAh0

My PR was 195 back in August but I didn't squat for around 4 months and I lost some of my feel for it. Wrking back up and hope to get it up to 205 at the very least within the next 4 weeks.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #516
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Congrats on joining the Corp, I've just recently signed a SEAL contract. I ship out in August.

Thank you kindly. OCS is really going to test sleep deprivation.

Keep us updated on your journey NOT to lose all that muscle after the strenuous Cardio man. You'll probably need like 5k + to maintain, damn..

But heres another NAVY Seals transformation.

1500-ish PL Total Timbaland lookalike to ultramarathon endurance athlete who was in the top 10 in most pullups completed in the span of one day.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #517
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
All this talk about arm day made me want to do squats.

Here's a vid of me doing a double on the Front Squat:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=o1MLqoPcAh0

My PR was 195 back in August but I didn't squat for around 4 months and I lost some of my feel for it. Wrking back up and hope to get it up to 205 at the very least within the next 4 weeks.
For a while I was on a running kick and didn't lift for a good two months. Started a program again about a month and a half ago and question why I overstepped. I'm back to back-squatting 365 x 5 while my other lifts are going up as well. I'm a big dude 220-230lbs so it's not very impressive but it feels good.

Thing is that I liked running as well and as I've been saying the past year (but haven't done) I want to get down to 200-210. I need to find a happy medium for strength training and losing weight. If anyone has ideas feel free to share
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #518
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
For a while I was on a running kick and didn't lift for a good two months. Started a program again about a month and a half ago and question why I overstepped. I'm back to back-squatting 365 x 5 while my other lifts are going up as well. I'm a big dude 220-230lbs so it's not very impressive but it feels good.

Thing is that I liked running as well and as I've been saying the past year (but haven't done) I want to get down to 200-210. I need to find a happy medium for strength training and losing weight. If anyone has ideas feel free to share

Throwing in some sprinting days to my training has really helped me lean out more. I was already pretty lean coz I got into my thin days when I started training but after adding some sprint days, the separation between my shoulder and my arm is much better and I'm pretty close to revealing my abs. If you're still running and not really looking to give that up, maybe just one day of adding them will do fine. Like with any cardio or conditioning though, I like doing them fasted with just some coffee and coconut oil before.

And 365 is 365 no matter how heavy you are. That's an awesome amount of weight to be putting up.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #519
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Throwing in some sprinting days to my training has really helped me lean out more. I was already pretty lean coz I got into my thin days when I started training but after adding some sprint days, the separation between my shoulder and my arm is much better and I'm pretty close to revealing my abs. If you're still running and not really looking to give that up, maybe just one day of adding them will do fine. Like with any cardio or conditioning though, I like doing them fasted with just some coffee and coconut oil before.

And 365 is 365 no matter how heavy you are. That's an awesome amount of weight to be putting up.
Yeah I should be working in sprints. I've been travelling for job training the past two months putting in 11-12 hour days so I haven't been running just using my hour of free time to lift. The gym I go to has a sled that you can add weights to and push, I really like that and would definitely enjoy that type of cardio. My schedule is about to free up after next week so I can really start adjusting my training to add that stuff. I guess with us "big boned" types it's all about just going out there and actually doing it. Appreciate the advice and kind words
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #520
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Yeah I should be working in sprints. I've been travelling for job training the past two months putting in 11-12 hour days so I haven't been running just using my hour of free time to lift. The gym I go to has a sled that you can add weights to and push, I really like that and would definitely enjoy that type of cardio. My schedule is about to free up after next week so I can really start adjusting my training to add that stuff. I guess with us "big boned" types it's all about just going out there and actually doing it. Appreciate the advice and kind words

Sprints are actually perfect if you're on the run (no pun intended). All you need is a clear path or a hill and 20 minutes and you're all good. What I also love about it is that it's muscle-sparing or it won't interfere if with your gains if you're trying to build. The first pic of me was from February last year when I realized I was freaking scrawny again. The second was from yesterday after some hill sprints, farmers walks, and 15 pounds. The sprints really helped me maintain the leanness (aside from the IF).

And awesome, your gym has prowler sleds too. Mark of a legit training place.

Last edited by NotYetGreat : 05-02-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #521
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Thank you kindly. OCS is really going to test sleep deprivation.

Keep us updated on your journey NOT to lose all that muscle after the strenuous Cardio man. You'll probably need like 5k + to maintain, damn..

But heres another NAVY Seals transformation.

1500-ish PL Total Timbaland lookalike to ultramarathon endurance athlete who was in the top 10 in most pullups completed in the span of one day.

I've already lost most of it Sitting at 165-170 right now.

I had to seriously slim down to be competitive with my swim/run times. To get the contract they make you PST now (500yd swim, max pushups/situps/pullups in 2 min, 1.5 mile run). You submit your scores and every month they pull the top scores around the country for SEAL contracts. It took me 3 tries to get it.

My brute strength is down, but pound for pound I'm stronger than I've ever been. I can run a sub 5 minute mile and still deadlift 465 and squat 315 ass to grass. I am doing two-a-days 6 days a week until I ship, so 12 workouts every week. Only 3 of those are weights (push/pull/legs). The rest is running, swimming or calisthenics. I can't move as much pure weight but I feel like such a fcking beast. A warrior athlete. My cardio is off the charts, my resting heart rate is down to around 50 bpm. I can easily say I'm in the best shape of my life.

I am enlisting, so no OCS here. I looked into it but getting a SEAL slot through OCS is outrageously competitive. The guys getting those slots are 4.0 GPA, D1 athletes, squeaky clean background, pretty much perfect humans lol.

Are you trying to go Infantry?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #522
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah man I got lucky as **** being from New England in that regard. Down in texas there are probably swarms of super soldiers taking a shot for the title.

Infantry mos def. America is fukking dominant by sea and air lol need people to up te ante in land and thereby rival china. We were in class today and some guy asked who'd win in an all out war America or the entire EU? Everyone chimed in and said EU without a doubt but some guys who knew about actual military stuff quickly mentioned a bit about aircraft carriers and fighter jets and the consensus was neither could succeed in a land invasion. Heh interesting food for thought.

Im sorry for the lean mass loss but glad you looking on the positive side of things. There's no wonder dudes like Bruce lee or gsp or silva have that cocksure confidence of bring able to kick ass . This new calisthenic mastery and endurance is Fukkin awesome.

Most of the doctors at my hospital actually do watered down military style workouts and although they're not jacked they seem to go on and on about the beneficia effects of tabata and hiit to increase Bdfn neuroplasticity and a stable mood. They also dont have that animalistic uber high libido that comes from steak and leg days What career are ya lookin at post seals? Also u seem well read? Are you trying to shed the mythical archetype if the dumb soldier? I'm planning to keep up the reading habits hope that the booze and video game culture in the barracks can be avoided
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #523
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Just to further the talk on arms, I just watched this Kai Greene video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4

Did my arm workout, and followed the advice. Damn is all I can say....
I'm usually bicep curling 50lbs after 4 sets of chin ups, but doing that squeezing and contracting method (and I'm talking about hard squeezes), 25lbs dumbbells feel like 100lbs.
I think this is a much better method of adding mass to you arms instead of going reasonably heavy. Obviously not so heavy that you start swinging, which you see a lot of people do in the gym.

You have to remember though that Kai Green goes super heavy at times, so while you may see him curling light weights in one video, there's another where he's curling 100 pound DBs for reps. He said he wasn't a powerlifter/weightlifter in that video, then there's another video where he's repping 495lbs on INCLINE bench.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #524
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
You have to remember though that Kai Green goes super heavy at times, so while you may see him curling light weights in one video, there's another where he's curling 100 pound DBs for reps. He said he wasn't a powerlifter/weightlifter in that video, then there's another video where he's repping 495lbs on INCLINE bench.

I completely agree.

I'm not doing it for my compound lifts, simply just for isolation exercises for the arm I think its quite a good idea. I still do chin ups, pull ups, and heavy barbell curls for arms, etc, that get the job done, but I really feel this will help tear the muscle down a lot more and build some good mass.

I don't think I could ever do it for something like bench press. I have too much of an ego. Plus I just worked my ass off the last two to three months trying to match Adrian Peterson's bench... Bit of an inspiration. Shame I'll never touch his squat numbers, but then again, I don't want legs like tree trunks.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #525
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
I completely agree.

I'm not doing it for my compound lifts, simply just for isolation exercises for the arm I think its quite a good idea. I still do chin ups, pull ups, and heavy barbell curls for arms, etc, that get the job done, but I really feel this will help tear the muscle down a lot more and build some good mass.

I don't think I could ever do it for something like bench press. I have too much of an ego. Plus I just worked my ass off the last two to three months trying to match Adrian Peterson's bench... Bit of an inspiration. Shame I'll never touch his squat numbers, but then again, I don't want legs like tree trunks.

Check out Dorian Yates Blood and Guts routine -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dori...ek-trainer.htm

Only 1 working set with focus on form, contractions and negatives after failure. I'm not into flat BB bench, always favored dumbbells over barbell, so no ego issues here.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: