Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #616
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
No, not the P90X diet plan. I lost the book.

I've been eating as healthy as possible, though.
A lot of fish, chicken breasts in correct proportions, fruits and veggies, eggs, oatmeal, various nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios), limited bread, chicken salads, tuna, etc.

I haven't eaten fast food (other than Subway, which I don't consider unhealthy depending on the sandwich types) in over a month and change.

Have you been drinking lots of water?
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #617
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
No, not the P90X diet plan. I lost the book.

I've been eating as healthy as possible, though.
A lot of fish, chicken breasts in correct proportions, fruits and veggies, eggs, oatmeal, various nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios), limited bread, chicken salads, tuna, etc.

I haven't eaten fast food (other than Subway, which I don't consider unhealthy depending on the sandwich types) in over a month and change.

Body composition (your ratio of muscle to fat at a given bodyweight) is going to improve via macronutrient breakdown (the ratio of carbs:protein:fats that comprise your diet).

Eating "healthy" is largely micronutrient oriented (vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, avoiding saturated fat, etc). These things are good for overall health and wellness, but if your macronutrients aren't correct you aren't going to physically look a whole lot better.

It's very possible for somebody who eats nothing but McDonalds to look better than somebody who eats typically "healthy" foods. Their lipids and triglycerides are going to be all fcked up, and they will be at a much greater risk for heart attack, but they can be leaner and carry more muscle.

I'm not sure what your exact goals are but I'm willing to bet you're eating too many carbs and not enough protein, and also your calories are simply too high.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #618
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Have you been drinking lots of water?

Absolutely. Nothing but water, except I use 1% skim milk for my oatmeal and protein shakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Body composition (your ratio of muscle to fat at a given bodyweight) is going to improve via macronutrient breakdown (the ratio of carbs:protein:fats that comprise your diet).

Eating "healthy" is largely micronutrient oriented (vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, avoiding saturated fat, etc). These things are good for overall health and wellness, but if your macronutrients aren't correct you aren't going to physically look a whole lot better.

It's very possible for somebody who eats nothing but McDonalds to look better than somebody who eats typically "healthy" foods. Their lipids and triglycerides are going to be all fcked up, and they will be at a much greater risk for heart attack, but they can be leaner and carry more muscle.

I'm not sure what your exact goals are but I'm willing to bet you're eating too many carbs and not enough protein, and also your calories are simply too high.

I'm actually trying to gain muscle. I'm not fat at all. Sure, I've recently grown a pudgy stomach and actually made a thread complaining about it maybe 2-3 weeks ago, but I'm nowhere near fat. When I used to go to the gym, I measured my body fat and it was at 6% with 0 muscle tone. Yes, that's skinny as fuck. At the time, I weighed maybe 140+ lbs.
Today, I weigh ~163 lbs. I don't know how much body fat I have, but I'm 99% sure it's not too much higher than it was just a year ago when I still attended the gym.

I am going to have to look up a diet plan and follow it strictly. Maybe you're right that I may be taking in more carbs than protein, which would explain why my stomach has gotten pudgier now than it was before I started eating as "healthy" as I thought I was/am.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #619
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

anybody got suggestions for body weight exercises?
Goliath Uterus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #620
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Yeah, those look pretty good. Especially for pulling movements. You could even use them as padding for push movements. I might look into them, cause my pulling is getting stronger than my grip.

I've been looking into 'Fat-Gripz'. Read nothing but good things. Anyone have any experience with them?

They are great, I didn't know how to use them the first day to be honest, I kept velcroing them too tight when you're just supposed to have them loosely on your wrists. Once I fixed that I really started to love them.

Quote:
Be careful with wrist straps. I used them for all my pulling exercises for years, and my grip became embarrassingly weak. Took me months of excruciating farmers walks and raw deadlifts to get them caught back up. They have their place but don't become reliant on them.

My grip is decent, it's holding me back in the sense that my hands give out long before my traps or my back does, which is very annoying when my goal is to build them. For example, I can shrug 465x7 times before my hands start feeling like shit, with the grips I've doubled that rep total.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #621
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Absolutely. Nothing but water, except I use 1% skim milk for my oatmeal and protein shakes.

I'm actually trying to gain muscle. I'm not fat at all. Sure, I've recently grown a pudgy stomach and actually made a thread complaining about it maybe 2-3 weeks ago, but I'm nowhere near fat. When I used to go to the gym, I measured my body fat and it was at 6% with 0 muscle tone. Yes, that's skinny as fuck. At the time, I weighed maybe 140+ lbs.
Today, I weigh ~163 lbs. I don't know how much body fat I have, but I'm 99% sure it's not too much higher than it was just a year ago when I still attended the gym.

I am going to have to look up a diet plan and follow it strictly. Maybe you're right that I may be taking in more carbs than protein, which would explain why my stomach has gotten pudgier now than it was before I started eating as "healthy" as I thought I was/am.

It's very difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I won't say it's impossible because some guys have crazy good genetics, but generally you are either bulking up (calorie surplus) or cutting (calorie deficit). Also, P90x is pretty awful for gaining muscle. It's a decent cardio program (which is why I assumed you were trying to cut) but it's not going to add a lot of size. You would get much better results lifting heavy weight.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #622
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
It's very difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I won't say it's impossible because some guys have crazy good genetics, but generally you are either bulking up (calorie surplus) or cutting (calorie deficit). Also, P90x is pretty awful for gaining muscle. It's a decent cardio program (which is why I assumed you were trying to cut) but it's not going to add a lot of size. You would get much better results lifting heavy weight.

Truth. I usually have to alternate. I'll do a few months of purely fat burning stuff (Rushfit for me, or in your case just do the 3 months of P90x), then focus almost solely on heavy lifting for a month, then back to fat burning. From what I've seen its a lot easier to keep muscle mass than it is to stay shredded and slim though, so my "fat burning" stretches are usually longer
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #623
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Since you all are talking fat, I was 267lbs 3 years ago with about 28% body fat, 2 years of really heavy weight lifting hitting the same body parts twice a week and eating a ton of calories a day and I was 259lbs with 19% body fat. My body composition changed dramatically even though weight stayed relatively the same, fat was replaced with a lot of muscle mass and I went from fat slob to muscular. I've lost even more weight on my cut and my LBM still is over 200lbs, will be starting ultimate diet 2 next week now that I'm approaching my goal weight.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #624
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Since you all are talking fat, I was 267lbs 3 years ago with about 28% body fat, 2 years of really heavy weight lifting hitting the same body parts twice a week and eating a ton of calories a day and I was 259lbs with 19% body fat. My body composition changed dramatically even though weight stayed relatively the same, fat was replaced with a lot of muscle mass and I went from fat slob to muscular. I've lost even more weight on my cut and my LBM still is over 200lbs, will be starting ultimate diet 2 next week now that I'm approaching my goal weight.

If you were a total beginner this is not uncommon. A completely untrained person can gain muscle and lose fat at first, but once those beginner gains stall you usually have to commit to either gaining muscle or losing fat.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #625
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
If you were a total beginner this is not uncommon. A completely untrained person can gain muscle and lose fat at first, but once those beginner gains stall you usually have to commit to either gaining muscle or losing fat.

I wasn't a beginner, no noob gains or anything like that.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #626
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Would anyone be so kind as to post anice 2 meal sample diet with this macronutrient breakdown?

225 pro/90 fat/225 carb

Also, for those who have underwent bulking and cutting cycles..

What's the reason behind "tapering" off your kcals slowly in the bulk-->cut transition? Why can't you just do it abruptly. Man of Steel guy went from 5k to 2.5k overnight...

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 06-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #627
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just started p90x yesterday after gradually allowing myself to gain about 40 pounds in the 2 years since I did p90x last. Can't believe I let myself get this out of shape.

Edit: Just got off the scale, weighed in at a pudgy 245 right now.

Last edited by 2LeTTeRS : 06-20-2013 at 02:31 PM.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #628
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

I used to weigh 275 lbs but am now down to 250 lbs.

I want to improve my cardio/stamina greatly. I have a resting heart rate of 90.

I can only jog for a minute before getting out of breath and having to stop.

How can I get to the point where I will be able to run a marathon? That is a long term goal I would like to shoot for.

Very inspired by what bmulls has accomplished in terms of his physical conditioning! I want to get to that level one day, but I get down on myself a lot and worry that I might not get to that point. Just feel like it is so far away to reach that.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #629
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've lost 7 pounds already in my weight loss journey. Only 53 pounds more to go!
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #630
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
I used to weigh 275 lbs but am now down to 250 lbs.

I want to improve my cardio/stamina greatly. I have a resting heart rate of 90.

I can only jog for a minute before getting out of breath and having to stop.

How can I get to the point where I will be able to run a marathon? That is a long term goal I would like to shoot for.

Very inspired by what bmulls has accomplished in terms of his physical conditioning! I want to get to that level one day, but I get down on myself a lot and worry that I might not get to that point. Just feel like it is so far away to reach that.
Start off easy with the jogging, pushing yourself more and more every time. It's about 80% mental and 20% physical with exercise. Let's say you can only do one lap of a running track before having to stop, keep building it up more and more, so in a while, you'll be able to run a mile (4 laps). Then keep building it up until you can reach your goal.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: