Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #646
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I've really struggled. January 2012 I was 245, July 2012 I was 185, October 2012 I was 181. Now I'm 225. Although I have started eating right the last week. I've already lost 5 pounds (I was at 230). Need to start interval training soon.

Damn yeah I remember you were killing it for a while. Glad to see you're back on it though. At least the positive is, that since you already did it once you already know you have it in you to do it again. The biggest obstacle a lot of people face is self doubt and a lack of confidence in their abilities. Since you don't have to deal with that, you'll be back where you wanna be in no time. Good luck
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #647
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
How many days a week should I be doing cardio, and how long should each session be?

If you are carrying a bunch of extra weight you should probably be careful which cardio you do. Running could be bad if you are too heavy.

Anyway, shoot for 45 mins to an hour of cardio, 4 times a week. Getting the diet under control is absolutely crucial. You simply have to eat a lot less. Doing real gentle cardio on an empty stomach will burn fat directly.....keep that in mind. A morning cardio session before breakfast is optimal.

But again, lifting weights is also a very good way to burn fat. Because you are a big guy anyway, you might actually be able to put up a good amount of iron too. Just start slow. Always warm up with an unloaded bar (that's 45lbs anyway). Slowly add weight. Muscle pain is ok. Joint or tendon pain is bad.

Last edited by Rolando : 06-21-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #648
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I've really struggled. January 2012 I was 245, July 2012 I was 185, October 2012 I was 181. Now I'm 225. Although I have started eating right the last week. I've already lost 5 pounds (I was at 230). Need to start interval training soon.

Man you sound like me. No sure if it helps but heres how I'm approaching this -- at least the big weight loss shows that with hard work and discipline that extra flab burns itself off in no time.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #649
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
If you are carrying a bunch of extra weight you should probably be careful which cardio you do. Running could be bad if you are too heavy.

Anyway, shoot for 45 mins to an hour of cardio, 4 times a week. Getting the diet under control is absolutely crucial. You simply have to eat a lot less. Doing real gentle cardio on an empty stomach will burn fat directly.....keep that in mind. A morning cardio session before breakfast is optimal.

But again, lifting weights is also a very good way to burn fat. Because you are a big guy anyway, you might actually be able to put up a good amount of iron too. Just start slow. Always warm up with an unloaded bar (that's 45lbs anyway). Slowly add weight. Muscle pain is ok. Joint or tendon pain is bad.

Thanks. I am actually very weak right now. My max on the bench press is only 145 lbs.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #650
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Look at this dude "Kali-Muscle's" form. (Pretty much starts at the beginning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKoP6-4rXao

What do you think of this technique?...anyone try it?
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #651
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak

Not watching the whole vid, but what the twins were saying at the start pretty much explains it. The goal here is muscle growth, which you won't always need full ROM for. Training to look good and training to move better are two different things which, while can be done simultaneously, don't necessarily take the same methods to achieve.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #652
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Not watching the whole vid, but what the twins were saying at the start pretty much explains it. The goal here is muscle growth, which you won't always need full ROM for. Training to look good and training to move better are two different things which, while can be done simultaneously, don't necessarily take the same methods to achieve.
Interesting. Agreed!

What works for one guy might not work for the other. Learning how to use your muscle to it's 100% capability isn't easy to learn and takes time. That's why I always say Body building is like martial arts. Learning proper form and technique that works for you best, takes time and practice.

Still found his technique interesting. I've always been taught that full ROM is the way to go. This totally goes against that.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #653
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Interesting. Agreed!

What works for one guy might not work for the other. Learning how to use your muscle to it's 100% capability isn't easy to learn and takes time. That's why I always say Body building is like martial arts. Learning proper form and technique that works for you best, takes time and practice.

Still found his technique interesting. I've always been taught that full ROM is the way to go. This totally goes against that.

That's true. How you can sense your body's motion in space will heavily dictate how well one does a certain movement or exercise. That said, your goals also have a say in it.

Like what the Twins said, they don't lock out or pause at the bottom because some they lose tension, and Time Under Tension is THE way to muscle growth. My explanation probably won't be the most accurate one, but for me, it's like in Physics where the Kinetic and Potential energies in an object vary depending on where it is along a path, the tension shifts from muscle to muscle depending on where you are on the movement. That's why, for example on the bench press, when you lock out, you feel it most at the triceps, but when you're at the bottom, your chest feels like it's going to explode. There are also certain parts in the movement where the tension seems to be equally distributed, which is the zone Kali and the Twins were trying to stay in. By never going beyond the zone of shared maximal tension on the main muscle groups involved, they're trying to milk the TUT principle for all it's worth.

Anyway, out to do some sprints.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #654
plowking
well DENG

Quote:

I agree somewhat watching that. I see a lot of people touch their chest even on incline. Not a chance I'm doing that. Always get extremely tight shoulders and pain the next few days, even with minimal weight on the bar.

Even with my flat bench, it took a while for me to be comfortable touching my chest since there was a bit of tightness (not pain like incline). Slowly I got more flexible and it was comfortable going that low.
I think the best thing to do is, go as far as your range will let you, without causing pain. You want to stretch and contract your muscle as much as possible. The more range you have of a movement, the more strength you have in that movement as a whole. Flexibility is key as well.

And yeah, like you said. Great form for yourself takes a while of lifting to work out, in terms of efficiency, and prevention of injury. It took me a while for bench press to work out my form.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #655
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Thanks. I am actually very weak right now. My max on the bench press is only 145 lbs.

Don't worry too much about the specific numbers that you are lifting. What is important is that you do it and be consistent. You'll see. If you really keep going, you'll be putting more and more plates on the bar. You just got to stick with it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #656
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

just working on strength and 1 rep maxes at the moment.

Here is a video of me leg pressing 950 pounds. Going for 1000 next week.

http://instagram.com/p/a9z_yCEnCj/

Last edited by Mamba : 06-25-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #657
plowking
well DENG

When do most of you have your carbs when cutting? I try to restrict mine to the morning for breakfast and just before my workout. Only problem is, I have to work out extremely late these days as I'm doing some vocation work for a company with lots of paperwork, etc. Usually having to go to gym midnightish, and I don't like the idea of having carbs that late.

Thoughts? Should it be okay? And when do you guys usually restrict your carbs to on cuts?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #658
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
When do most of you have your carbs when cutting? I try to restrict mine to the morning for breakfast and just before my workout. Only problem is, I have to work out extremely late these days as I'm doing some vocation work for a company with lots of paperwork, etc. Usually having to go to gym midnightish, and I don't like the idea of having carbs that late.

Thoughts? Should it be okay? And when do you guys usually restrict your carbs to on cuts?

I'm no expert for sure but what I've read is that you have to time your carbs so that you get an insulin boost just at the right time, like after a workout when you've taken in some protein. You need the insulin to help deliver the protein to the cells apparently. So just add carbs exactly when you need the insulin.

Also, when you reduce carbs to a minimum, your body get more sensitive to them.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #659
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

You ever tried doing it the other way around? Iunno you might be surprised. Look into stuff by Ori Hofmekler, Jason Ferruggia, & Nate Miyaki. They're all proponents of IF, but if you look at it, it's still pretty much eat your most at night. They do a pretty good job of explaining why night time is actually the best time for carb loading or your biggest meal.

EDIT: You can find a digital version of The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler. I don't follow it to the T, but it's what finally got me convinced that (or at least reverse tapering) is the way to go. It's worked for me so far. I still could get leaner (my abs are still those silhouette-y kind) but I'm definitely a lot leaner and more built than I was when I was pounding down shakes and gorging for breakfast.

Last edited by NotYetGreat : 06-25-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #660
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

3-4 trips to the Y per week. 2 miles on the treadmill to begin every session.

Been doing a lot of supersetting lately mainly because I'm pressed for time.

For instance:

1 set of 10x on weight bench
1 set of 10x isolation curls
1 set of flies
25 bicycle motion ab crunches

30 secs rest between each individual set, then I start the entire cycle all over again. I prefer to stay busy versus lounging around 5-10 between sets as a lot of people do.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: