Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #661
bmulls
Great college starter

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
When do most of you have your carbs when cutting? I try to restrict mine to the morning for breakfast and just before my workout. Only problem is, I have to work out extremely late these days as I'm doing some vocation work for a company with lots of paperwork, etc. Usually having to go to gym midnightish, and I don't like the idea of having carbs that late.

Thoughts? Should it be okay? And when do you guys usually restrict your carbs to on cuts?

I do it the same way. Banana + scoop of whey as soon as I wake up, then all my carbs pre/during/post workout. Rest of the day is pretty much 0 carbs.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #662
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
You ever tried doing it the other way around? Iunno you might be surprised. Look into stuff by Ori Hofmekler, Jason Ferruggia, & Nate Miyaki. They're all proponents of IF, but if you look at it, it's still pretty much eat your most at night. They do a pretty good job of explaining why night time is actually the best time for carb loading or your biggest meal.

EDIT: You can find a digital version of The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler. I don't follow it to the T, but it's what finally got me convinced that (or at least reverse tapering) is the way to go. It's worked for me so far. I still could get leaner (my abs are still those silhouette-y kind) but I'm definitely a lot leaner and more built than I was when I was pounding down shakes and gorging for breakfast.

No, I haven't. I'll have to read into it some more before completely changing my ways I guess. I feel so dirty eating carbs so late. Can't wait to get back to my regular schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
I do it the same way. Banana + scoop of whey as soon as I wake up, then all my carbs pre/during/post workout. Rest of the day is pretty much 0 carbs.

Yeah, guess we're in the same boat. Just feel weird having carbs so late. Having a hard time cutting with my schedule so out of whack, but that could be because of lack of sleep recently as well.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #663
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I don't shy away from Carbs at all, I'm always looking to put on more size. But that may be because of my body type. I tend to stay pretty lean.

If your 'pudgy' or tend to be on the fat side, then I would recommend lowering your carbs. But if you thin or not even close to being fat (like me) Carbs are what you need to put on size.

I'm of coarse talking about good carbs. (rice, potatoes, grains ...ect)
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #664
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Carbs by day, protein by night. You can consume carbs as long as you give yourself enough time during the day to use them as an energy source.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #665
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
When do most of you have your carbs when cutting? I try to restrict mine to the morning for breakfast and just before my workout. Only problem is, I have to work out extremely late these days as I'm doing some vocation work for a company with lots of paperwork, etc. Usually having to go to gym midnightish, and I don't like the idea of having carbs that late.

Thoughts? Should it be okay? And when do you guys usually restrict your carbs to on cuts?

I start Ultimate Diet 2.0 next week, was going to start it this week but decided to finish the book before I do. So for me, 4 days a week will be very low carb, with 2 days being carb load days where I can go crazy.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #666
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
No, I haven't. I'll have to read into it some more before completely changing my ways I guess. I feel so dirty eating carbs so late. Can't wait to get back to my regular schedule.

Try it. It might clear your conscience. I've been eating this way for the last year and some months and I don't think I'll ever go back to the "right" way of eating. Anyway, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try it for some time. Might fit your schedule more.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #667
Shade8780
Father Christmas

Did my first 5K run today! Getting further in this journey of weight loss.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #668
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

this will be my first summer working out ( i started in november ) and its been tough so far, the temperatures here are ridiculously high even at 7-8mp ( gym close at 9pm here )... but i think i can make it
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #669
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

There's a new workout program out called Focus T25 by Shaun T, the creator of Insanity. I'm interested in doing it but since it's so brand new, there isn't an answer on whether or not it is something a skinny guy can do. Though I'm trying to stick with the P90X, doing 1+ hr workouts everyday when I work a graveyard shift and sleep through most of the day makes it hard. This new program is just 25 minutes a day.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #670
sunsfan1357
Word.

Gonna try the Carb Nite diet, see how that lasts. It works along the lines of what some people were talking about in regards to sack carbs for the end of the day.

I know I've said it before, but I would like to do a powerlifting competition in September. I'm pretty weak fora guy my size, but it's something I've been aiming to do for a while now.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #671
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Gonna try the Carb Nite diet, see how that lasts. It works along the lines of what some people were talking about in regards to sack carbs for the end of the day.

I know I've said it before, but I would like to do a powerlifting competition in September. I'm pretty weak fora guy my size, but it's something I've been aiming to do for a while now.

5/3/1 Boring but Big Template bro.

There are few things on this Earth that can awaken a man's warrior spirit quite like a 1-rep max!
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #672
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
5/3/1 Boring but Big Template bro.

There are few things on this Earth that can awaken a man's warrior spirit quite like a 1-rep max!
I think can benefit from something more linear at the moment like Bill Starr's 5x5 (http://www.jcdfitness.com/2010/02/bi...ate-training/), but plan on transitioning to 5/3/1 at some point when that program has run its course.

Really my main concern is staying consistent and following through with what I want to do.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #673
chips93
Very good NBA starter

i got back to the gym this summer and started squating.

i got up to 110kg, but i realised that i wasnt going that deep, most other people i see squating are going a lot deeper. my thighs dont quite get to parellel with the floor, while other people i see are almost getting their ass to touch the back of their legs.

any advice on how to be ableo to squat deeper?

should i try use less weight and just lift what i can, but focus on going as deep as possible?

any advice would be appreciated.

fwiw, im focusing on gaining mass, i dont put on weight easily
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #674
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
i got back to the gym this summer and started squating.

i got up to 110kg, but i realised that i wasnt going that deep, most other people i see squating are going a lot deeper. my thighs dont quite get to parellel with the floor, while other people i see are almost getting their ass to touch the back of their legs.

any advice on how to be ableo to squat deeper?

should i try use less weight and just lift what i can, but focus on going as deep as possible?

any advice would be appreciated.

fwiw, im focusing on gaining mass, i dont put on weight easily

If you think your form is off than most likely its way off. People are often the worse judge of themselves.

My advise would be to first lessen the weight and practice your form.

Second DONT GO AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE. You will be setting yourself up for a serious knee/back/body injury that you may not bounce back from. Instead try to make your thighs go parallel with the ground (like you said). Some guys like to put a bench or chair behind them to make sure they don't go too deep.

Third always squat inside a rack with the safety bars in place. Just in case.

And finally, if you want to put on size it's really no secret. Lift hard and consistently and eat as much food as you can.

Good luck.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #675
Shade8780
Father Christmas

Since that 5K run I've been slacking off. Haven't lost a pound since. Gotta get back to work!
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: