Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #676
sunsfan1357
Word.

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
i got back to the gym this summer and started squating.

i got up to 110kg, but i realised that i wasnt going that deep, most other people i see squating are going a lot deeper. my thighs dont quite get to parellel with the floor, while other people i see are almost getting their ass to touch the back of their legs.

any advice on how to be ableo to squat deeper?

should i try use less weight and just lift what i can, but focus on going as deep as possible?

any advice would be appreciated.

fwiw, im focusing on gaining mass, i dont put on weight easily
Try to work on hip mobility

and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #677
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:

i got up to 110kg, but i realised that i wasnt going that deep, most other people i see squating are going a lot deeper. my thighs dont quite get to parellel with the floor, while other people i see are almost getting their ass to touch the back of their legs.

should i try use less weight and just lift what i can, but focus on going as deep as possible?

You want to be going at least parallel, but you don't want to go so deep that your knees start moving forward.

Ideally your shins are perpindicular to the floor and your knees are directly above your ankles. Anybody touching their butts to the backs of their legs is squatting wrong and is going to destroy their knees. When you squat down with your knees in front of your ankles you are putting tremendous shearing forces on the ligaments in your knee.

Pretend you are sitting back in a chair. Keep your back straight and stick your butt as far back as possible. It may be a while before you can squat to proper depth with good form. It takes a lot of hip mobility. There's no shame in practicing with light weight.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #678
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

cool, thanks for the advice guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
And finally, if you want to put on size it's really no secret. Lift hard and consistently and eat as much food as you can.:

i got a simple routine from a guy who works at a suplement place, doing 5 sets of 5 reps of 5 exercises

by lifting hard you mean low reps with a lot of weight, right?
chips93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #679
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:

Time to drop the weight buddy. Find a weight that you'll be able to comfortably squat for 5 then work from there. One other thing you might waanna try aside from what everyone's said is to open up your crotch when squatting. As you sit back, move your knees out to the side a bit. This calls on the glutes for more involvement, makes the bar path a bit straighter, and allows you to get lower.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #680
abuC
Cuba

Got up 315x6 on incline bench, feeling kind of strong
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #681
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

people are really throwing numbers like its a joke... really i have a hard time believing anyone ( though the guy above me is clearly a huge mfer, i believe him ) but most of the people ( teenagers especially ) will say they lift a big number and then when you see them at the gym the set its pretty pathetic, not even 1/3 range of motion...

i can bench press 200 lbs for 4-5 times, and it might be a pathetic number but it still better than most of the people i see at the gym ( not sure if my town is full of 'do you even lift-ers' or its the same everywhere

i dont think i have ever seen a guy on the internet that have said he benches less than 250...
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #682
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
people are really throwing numbers like its a joke... really i have a hard time believing anyone ( though the guy above me is clearly a huge mfer, i believe him ) but most of the people ( teenagers especially ) will say they lift a big number and then when you see them at the gym the set its pretty pathetic, not even 1/3 range of motion...

i can bench press 200 lbs for 4-5 times, and it might be a pathetic number but it still better than most of the people i see at the gym ( not sure if my town is full of 'do you even lift-ers' or its the same everywhere

i dont think i have ever seen a guy on the internet that have said he benches less than 250...

That's cuz most people online will post the absolute most they've EVER lifted for one rep, and act like it's their go-to weight.

I usually do about 240 lbs and just do 5 sets of 5 reps, so 25 reps total. I've never found out what my max is for a single rep because I've never understood the point of it I guess. But to each their own.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #683
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
That's cuz most people online will post the absolute most they've EVER lifted for one rep, and act like it's their go-to weight.

I usually do about 240 lbs and just do 5 sets of 5 reps, so 25 reps total. I've never found out what my max is for a single rep because I've never understood the point of it I guess. But to each their own.
true

and 5 sets of 5 reps is more for strength right?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #684
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I've somewhat slacked off when it comes to lifting. I haven't continuously (meaning what used to be my normal 3-4 times a week, each and every other day) lifted in a good 6-9 months. I'm going to get back into it here soon (LOL, I said that at the beginning of spring, didn't follow through, and now here I'm saying it a couple weeks into summer, same thing).

I know you're a buff dude B-Low. What does your typical lifting routine consist of? My muscles need some stimulation, and I'm thinking about mixing shit up. What would you recommend that's different that most people don't do? Maybe something you do that isn't what most would consider a normal workout? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks bro.

Also, do you use any supplements? What does your common diet consist of?

Honestly as far as heavier lifting goes I don't do too much out of the ordinary.

Traditional dumbbell curls - 25 pound dumbbells (usually 4 sets of 50 reps)

Internal/External dumbbell curls (hold the weights like you're gonna do curls but instead move your arms in like a circular motion like you're twirling both jumpropes in double dutch) - 25 pound dumbbells (same as above)

Lateral raises (arms at sides, raise up to the side like a T formation) - 20 pound dumbbells (2 sets of 25 reps)

Bench press - 240 pounds (5 sets of 5 reps)

Bar curls - 120 pounds (2 sets of 10 reps)

Then the usual stuff like pullups (however many I can do on a given night), pushups (usually like 200-300 in sets of 50) and then I do some resistance band stuff with that Tower 200 (great investment, one of the best fitness purchases I ever made)

As far as diet goes, I'm not, and never WILL BE somebody that counts calories, looks at nutrition facts etc. Everyone has a general idea of what they should and shouldn't eat. The basic stuff like chips, fast food, fried food etc I've completely eliminated aside from rare stuff on like Thanksgiving...but mostly just a lot of tuna, eggs, chicken etc. Snack on crackers, fruit, almonds etc.

And as far as supplements go just the basic 3:

Protein - MusclePharm Combat Powder
Multivitamin - GNC's Megamen Sport (not loyal to this one, just take it right now)
Fish Oil - Optimum Nutrition

Like I said I don't really do that much out of the ordinary, I just do it often and I push hard when I do it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #685
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
true

and 5 sets of 5 reps is more for strength right?

It's a very basic premise and it's a no-fail scheme in a balanced search for strength and bulk.

And yeah, I agree with B-Low. With my last cycle, I ended up getting too caught up with chasing a number and it took more out of me than what I usually do. I got stronger and I gained a couple pounds but I got tired. Going for a max is not a sustainable way to go about things if you wanna get stronger.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #686
abuC
Cuba

Quote:

It's not a pathetic number, to be honest my best lifts came when I was 250lbs which is really heavy and I haven't been able to come all that close to some of them now that I've leaned out a bit. When I started out I was 270lbs and could barely handle 135lbs on the bar which was embarrassing but only gave me motivation.

In my experience, the best way to throw up really big numbers on the bench is to use heavy dumbbells. I started with 50s per hand and worked up to 120s per hand in around a year, there's no fear of getting trapped under the bar if you don't have a spotter, you just drop them to your sides. And whatever you lift with DBs, you can generally lift 30-70lbs more on barbell bench, once I could lift 100lb DBs I could bench 225 for reps without much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh

Also, do you use any supplements? What does your common diet consist of?

I take Whey, and recently started talking fish & flaxseed oil, and a multi vitamin.

My diet is mostly steak, chicken cutlets, sweet potatoes, broccoli, oats and eggs. Boring, but I just try to hit my macros and I have a cheat day or two every week depending on how I feel.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #687
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Just sharing - I got 2 kilos of grass-fed ground beef to make some meaty burger goodness to bring to school. The only time I had grass-fed beef before this was when I went to Washington last January and went to Elevation Burgers with my relatives over there. Tastes just as good and wow, I didn't have THAT big of a meal yet (main meal of the day's in a bit) but that burger left me somewhat energized compared to when I get other stuff. Might start doing this all the time now.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #688
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
cool, thanks for the advice guys

i got a simple routine from a guy who works at a suplement place, doing 5 sets of 5 reps of 5 exercises

by lifting hard you mean low reps with a lot of weight, right?
Not necessarily, I like to work in the 8 to 10 rep range. By lifting hard I mean putting in a good effort and making sure your workouts aren't too easy.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #689
PullupJay
This Digital Ghost

Anybody here also feel naseous. Along with cramps after taking whey protein??
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #690
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullupJay
Anybody here also feel naseous. Along with cramps after taking whey protein??

I've never had a problem with it.

But what kind are you using? What do you mix it with? When do you take it?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: