Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #721
Psycho
Banned

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
my coach wants us to do this:

What is your mile time bro?
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #722
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
What is your mile time bro?
in the 4's. I can't remember the exact time atm
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #723
abuC
Cuba

Had to skip my back day today, hopefully can do it tomorrow, I pulled something in my upper back last week and it's just such an annoying dull ache. It's right around where my rib cage and left rhomboid meet.

I've had some pretty shitty luck the last 7 months as far as injuries go, none of them require surgery but they all linger because I refuse to take time off. So far I have shoulder impingement syndrome, hairline fracture in my wrist, and now this crap with my back.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #724
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Had to skip my back day today, hopefully can do it tomorrow, I pulled something in my upper back last week and it's just such an annoying dull ache. It's right around where my rib cage and left rhomboid meet.

I've had some pretty shitty luck the last 7 months as far as injuries go, none of them require surgery but they all linger because I refuse to take time off. So far I have shoulder impingement syndrome, hairline fracture in my wrist, and now this crap with my back.

Maybe a month off wouldn't do any harm, man. Really gotta let those things heal. That or you can rename "leg day" to "every day."
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #725
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

I wish I had motivation to work out.
LongLiveTheKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #726
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:

Are you warming up properly? I use to get a lot of injuries too, figured out I wasn't warming up properly. Also, do you stretch before you workout? this can also cause injury. It's better to stretch post workout.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #727
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing

By 'wishing' you could workout. You already have the motivation. Don't feel like you have to move mountains to start training. Start with a simple plan (2 days a week) and stick with it. After you get into the groove, you can step it up to a more challenging workout.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #728
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

Quote:
in the 4's. I can't remember the exact time atm

damn, im impressed if you can run a mile in the low 4 minute mark. Heck, anything under 5 is impressive.

I never ran track or XC, my fastest mile was like 6 minutes 40 seconds. I hate running. Now when I do it, I go at a real slow pace, but go for a few miles, usually 3-5.

Do you use any sort of running watch? Nike GPS watch would be good for you, I sell a couple every day
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #729
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Are you warming up properly? I use to get a lot of injuries too, figured out I wasn't warming up properly. Also, do you stretch before you workout? this can also cause injury. It's better to stretch post workout.

I find some stretches are incredibly useful WHILE warming up. I do some dynamic mobility too but in certain positions, I really need to stay longer and just let it stretch out. You really need to do both, but if you're just moving around with a range if motion limited by knotted up tissues and fascia, it's not really being effiecient either.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #730
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

Maybe you should consider using machines more and less on the free weights. Machines increase muscle flexibility and decrease tension and shock.

If you do use free weights, go down on the weight a bit.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #731
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Maybe a month off wouldn't do any harm, man. Really gotta let those things heal. That or you can rename "leg day" to "every day."

LOL nah man, can't take a month off, when I first got the impingement I couldn't lift heavy for 3 months without my shoulder popping and clicking and that set me back. It took 7 months for me to get back to shoulder pressing the weights I used to do. I'm in the home stretch now and I'm almost done with my cut so time off won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak

I warm up, I was pretty much injury free for 2 and a half years, so it could just be bad timing. The wrist injury was more of a freak accident and the shoulder was improper form / too heavy on upright rows. I stretch after I workout, read some studies that it's more beneficial to stretch after as opposed to before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Maybe you should consider using machines more and less on the free weights. Machines increase muscle flexibility and decrease tension and shock.

If you do use free weights, go down on the weight a bit.

Thanks, I do use machines as a finisher for most of my workouts.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #732
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
damn, im impressed if you can run a mile in the low 4 minute mark. Heck, anything under 5 is impressive.

I never ran track or XC, my fastest mile was like 6 minutes 40 seconds. I hate running. Now when I do it, I go at a real slow pace, but go for a few miles, usually 3-5.

Do you use any sort of running watch? Nike GPS watch would be good for you, I sell a couple every day
Yeah I have a cheapo watch, I'll probably get a new one wants the school year starts. I feel you about slow pace man. I'd rather run 3 miles at a slow pace then an 800m on race pace haha.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #733
Psycho
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I have a cheapo watch, I'll probably get a new one wants the school year starts. I feel you about slow pace man. I'd rather run 3 miles at a slow pace then an 800m on race pace haha.

Hey, if I wanted to get faster over shorter distances (like 1/2 mile or 1 mile), how would you recommend I do it? Stuff like 1/2 mile sprints on a certain interval? Are there any exercises that would help?
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #734
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing

Like Zan "Only the Finest" Tabak said perfectly, the fact that you wanna be motivated, shows that you're motivated. Finding the drive to work out is the easiest part of getting in shape.

Is there a girl you're into? Motivation. An athlete or celeb you wanna look like? Motivation. Something you wanna be good at? Motivation. There's a million reasons out there to work out. Me personally? I started doing it SERIOUSLY when me and my ex split up. Revenge fitness lol...I wanted to look better so she'd see what she was missing out on. Was it the most honorable or sincere reason? Hell no. But it got me started. And now she's not even on my radar as far as motivation goes, but now my motivation is seeing how much better I can do. You start competing with yourself after a while and it just carries from there.

Once you get started, you'll be hooked. Just gotta get that first push.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #735
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Hey, if I wanted to get faster over shorter distances (like 1/2 mile or 1 mile), how would you recommend I do it? Stuff like 1/2 mile sprints on a certain interval? Are there any exercises that would help?
Well I'm not really the best one to give advice on this stuff. I just do whatever my coach tells me. Sometimes we do stuff like 200 meter sprints with weighted vests on. Which is speed training, but I don't really know what's best for someone :/
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: