Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #751
alenleomessi
hey girl

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong wayalenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
LOL, nah most people in my gym stop around 100lbs, I'd say there's a few of us operating in the 120-150lbs range, and then I've yet to see anyone go beyond 160lbs even though there's a guy that reps 160# for sets on incline bench. There's a lot of steroid users and 3 IFBB pros that go to my gym, almost everyone focuses on upper body and neglects squats/deadlifts (I do both).

This was a pic I took to show off my cheap ($1) workout gloves a few months ago before I did my chest workout (140s) -

I used to go to New York Sports Club before this gym, and nobody was lifting the type of weights there that I currently see people throwing around in my new gym. It's pushed me a lot further IMO, I had been stuck with 120 # dbs for a year because NYSC didn't go any higher than that. For the type of weights I lift, I don't look all that big in my opinion especially not compared to some of the people at my gym who have that weird IFBB body with shoulders jutting out.
well isnt that because you are natural and those guys are on juice?
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #752
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
well isnt that because you are natural and those guys are on juice?

Good point, I also have really long arms and large bones (8" wrists) which makes it harder for my arms to look bulky which is my weak point.

Completely unrelated, this guy at my gym was using gardener gloves -

abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #753
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I still honestly don't understand the use of gloves. All the ones I've used just make me lose feel for the bar (similar to using thick-soled shoes for basketball) and they don't help with letting the bar stay on my hands. :/ That plus going barehand always allows me to grip harder.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #754
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Started stronglifts5x5 today...a bit of an ego check in the beginning starting out with small weights but I'm sure it will get heavy quick.

Squats 5x5: 20kg
Bench 5x5: 20 kg
Barbell Row 5x5: 30kg
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #755
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

I didn't wear gloves for the longest time. But had to buy a pair cause of the nasty callus' on my hands. I bought a pair of Nike weight lifting gloves, they were expensive but well worth it imo. Comfy and they don't compromise my grip.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #756
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Started stronglifts5x5 today...a bit of an ego check in the beginning starting out with small weights but I'm sure it will get heavy quick.

Good job bro!

Try not to worry too much about the weight your using, and focus on form. The weight will progress.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #757
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Good job bro!

Try not to worry too much about the weight your using, and focus on form. The weight will progress.

Thanks! I couldn't wait to hit the gym today after work. I've read a lot of good things about this program and the guy who designed it made it for free. He has loads of videos out there to teach correct form. I've been youtubing a lot to get form tips.

Had no idea that bench press was pretty complex. My HS coaches sucked dick. You basically just want to keep your entire body tight as shit on every single lift which seems to be the point of these exercises. They work on your full body. It's way better than just prancing around the gym doing different work outs. I've had similar success using crossfit but it's just not practical to do that stuff in a regular gym.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 07-29-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #758
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I don't know what happened... I recorded myself doing a set of pull-ups and my form is absolutely horrible! I thought my head was at least getting below my elbows but it was an absolute NO. I hate to blame it on the implement I'm using (I'm doing it in a playground where my arms don't even need to straighten to grab hold of the bars), but I felt much more comfortable using the rack at the gym which I don't have access to anymore. Any tips guys? I'm incredibly disappointed with how my pull-ups went today. Two straight was a struggle trying to come from as low as I can go (plus the rain didn't help).

I guess I was so used to just letting my legs hang out ("tactical" style as some people call it) that I couldn't do it anymore, and since I got so used to it, my body adjusted by shortening the range of motion.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #759
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I still honestly don't understand the use of gloves. All the ones I've used just make me lose feel for the bar (similar to using thick-soled shoes for basketball) and they don't help with letting the bar stay on my hands. :/ That plus going barehand always allows me to grip harder.

I don't use gloves anymore, I have versa gripps which I adore and would recommend to everyone. For me, my hands give out long before my back muscles do so straps/gripps make the most sense for me since I don't care about grip strength.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #760
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status

Hey let me know how your progress goes. I started the workout 2 weeks ago and I've heard good things. Anyone else here do it?
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #761
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I bought a pair of Nike weight lifting gloves, they were expensive

Do I even need to say it?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #762
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I don't know what happened... I recorded myself doing a set of pull-ups and my form is absolutely horrible! I thought my head was at least getting below my elbows but it was an absolute NO. I hate to blame it on the implement I'm using (I'm doing it in a playground where my arms don't even need to straighten to grab hold of the bars), but I felt much more comfortable using the rack at the gym which I don't have access to anymore. Any tips guys? I'm incredibly disappointed with how my pull-ups went today. Two straight was a struggle trying to come from as low as I can go (plus the rain didn't help).

I guess I was so used to just letting my legs hang out ("tactical" style as some people call it) that I couldn't do it anymore, and since I got so used to it, my body adjusted by shortening the range of motion.

Are you complaining about not going low enough, or your chin not getting over the bar when you go up?
If you're talking about not going low enough, I'd say to always go full range, in the sense that you go back down to the free hang position. Some people like to say to not go down all the way for pull ups to keep the lats tight, but I don't think it applies for pull ups. They're always going to be harder if you go down all the way.
I understand the theory on chest, of not going all the way up, as if keeps the stress on your chest, and not triceps. But with pull ups, your weight is being forced down already, and even sitting in a rest position at the bottom is far more grueling than having the bar in a locked out position on bench.

Just my .02 cents. Anyone else want to chime in on how they do pull ups? I've always found going all the way down, and trying to touch your clavicle/collar bone on the way up to be the best way for me.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #763
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Do I even need to say it?
No you don't, no ...you don't.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #764
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Same here. I hate using gloves, on deadlifts I go double-overhand then add chalk then go mixed grip. I'd like to try hook grip, but I don't want to waste a workout just getting used to a different grip.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #765
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tips on transitioning from calorc restriction (bout 1700 cals) to a bulking diet with gaining minimal fat?

Just been eating 2 meals a day like 8 oz meat 8 oz veg, and then a bowl of oatmeal with some pb. Don't ask lol. For the past few weeks.

Thanks.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: