Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #811
JohnnySic
green is good

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal
With or without straps? Only weak ******* use straps.
No straps. I have no idea if I could dead more with them; I've never used them.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #812
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
No straps. I have no idea if I could dead more with them; I've never used them.
I've said before I'm not a fan of straps, but the strongest people in the world even use them as a training tool once in a while to get a good overload session in. Hell Brian Shaw (World's Strongest Man winner before) just released a video a week or so ago of him deadlifting 980+ pounds with straps.

You're gonna smash that 405 man. I just hit that mark too and damn it felt good.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #813
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

^^You guys 'Power lifting'? Just asking cause I'm into 'Bodybuilding', big difference.

Don't get me wrong either, I have big respect for Power lifters. Sh!t is hard as fvck. Curious, cause those are some power lifting numbers you all are talking about.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #814
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I've said before I'm not a fan of straps, but the strongest people in the world even use them as a training tool once in a while to get a good overload session in. Hell Brian Shaw (World's Strongest Man winner before) just released a video a week or so ago of him deadlifting 980+ pounds with straps.

You're gonna smash that 405 man. I just hit that mark too and damn it felt good.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #815
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
^^You guys 'Power lifting'? Just asking cause I'm into 'Bodybuilding', big difference.

Yup, there's a difference. Powerlifting though is a sport; I prefer to think of it as functional strength training. Simple movements - squats, deadlifts, rows, military presses, heavy benches and curls, etc. Focus being on power and building strength.

Bodybuilding doesn't appeal to me as much. It seems to me that bodybuilders are preoccupied with appearance too much. Also, the roided-up freaks at the top of the sport have given it a bad impression.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #816
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Damn nice. Congrats J$

My workout today was playing an hour and a half of laser tag with a group of 11 and 12 year olds. Holy shit i was drenched by the time we finished lol

Ugh when those munchkins crouch and use sniper tactics it murders you gotta be in constant motion to avoid

Plus they trained in that call of duty shit
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #817
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong either, I have big respect for Power lifters. Sh!t is hard as fvck. Curious, cause those are some power lifting numbers you all are talking about.

There might be a difference, but it doesn't mean body builders can't (or shouldn't) move some heavy weight. To be honest 405 deadlift isn't impressive at all for a guy my size at least and is a number many people 200lbs and lower a can hit because a lot of it is using your leverages to your advantage.

Funny thing, too, is that a lot of advanced powerlifting routines actually implement high rep/set schemes with sub-maximal percentages (see: smolov and sheiko).
Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #818
alenleomessi
W

alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #819
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal
With or without straps? Only weak ******* use straps.

I'm not weak or a *******
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #820
sunsfan1357
Word.

Anyone use C4 as a pre-workout before? I haven't taken one in years, but saw it at Costco on a 2 for 1 special.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #821
ThickassGlasses
Serious playground baller

Quote:

Straps have their place in a program, but IMO they shouldn't be used for a 1 rep max. Keep them for higher rep sets (which I hate on DL, but they have a purpose) in which the weight is still heavy enough that your grip goes before your form does.

Also, your other question about C4 extreme? I used it before, it was solid. Gave me a little a energy I think without being jittery but I honestly couldn't tell the difference when taking it and not taking it. Hyper Fx by BSN has treated me much better.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #822
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Yup, there's a difference. Powerlifting though is a sport; I prefer to think of it as functional strength training. Simple movements - squats, deadlifts, rows, military presses, heavy benches and curls, etc. Focus being on power and building strength.

Bodybuilding doesn't appeal to me as much. It seems to me that bodybuilders are preoccupied with appearance too much. Also, the roided-up freaks at the top of the sport have given it a bad impression.

Yep, I personally hate that 'roided up freak look'. I like to think of my self as a natural Body Builder. The results are much more appealing imo.

Quote:
There might be a difference, but it doesn't mean body builders can't (or shouldn't) move some heavy weight. To be honest 405 deadlift isn't impressive at all for a guy my size at least and is a number many people 200lbs and lower a can hit because a lot of it is using your leverages to your advantage.

Funny thing, too, is that a lot of advanced powerlifting routines actually implement high rep/set schemes with sub-maximal percentages (see: smolov and sheiko).

Your right. Body Builders do have to move heavy weights, that's where there is a similarity. But they are not trying to do 1 rep max's. Like Power Lifters do.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #823
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
I'm not weak or a *******
I'm moving to straps soon myself. Cause I personally want to work my back to it's full potential. Instead of worrying if my grip will hold.

Having a bit of a problem finding 'Versa Gripps'. Went to two places already...no dice.

I'm a bit worried about my forearm development once I move to straps. Might have to start working in some forearm exercises into my routine.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #824
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
I'm moving to straps soon myself. Cause I personally want to work my back to it's full potential. Instead of worrying if my grip will hold.

Having a bit of a problem finding 'Versa Gripps'. Went to two places already...no dice.

I'm a bit worried about my forearm development once I move to straps. Might have to start working in some forearm exercises into my routine.

For the gripps just measure your wrists and order them online, mine are 8" and they fit in the regular/large gripps just fine even though it says 7 3/4th is the max for them.

Quote:
Versa Gripps FIT Style sizing chart - Measure wrist circumference
X-Small: 4 3/4" - 5 1/2" Small: 5 3/4" - 6 1/2" Reg/Large: 6 1/2" - 7 3/4"

I do forearm exercises in general, and I do farmers walks with 100s without straps to make sure my grip doesn't fall off much. But I also use the grips for farmers walks when I specifically want to hit my traps the most. You can balance things out by using them only when the weight gets really heavy or you're trying to rep high volume.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #825
abuC
Cuba

Just woke up, start of a tough week so wish me luck , will be doing Ultimate diet 2.0, will stay on it until I reach my goal of 10-12% body fat, which will be around 215lbs. I've messed around with the diet but never did it seriously as I plan to now.

My maintenance is 3500 calories, will be cutting that to 1700 Monday-Thursday with around 50g of carbs on those days so if my posts the next few days are angry you'll know why

The one positive is I can go absolutely crazy eating (7000-10,000 calories) on the power day / carb up period, I'm gonna get one of these big ass chocolate chip cookies that I haven't had in about a year. They were made by runners looking to carb up, so they are perfect for my needs.

Last edited by abuC : 08-12-2013 at 05:19 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: