Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #856
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
Why do you guys lift so much weight? I'm really very curious. Girls, for the most part, seem to go for a leaner look (swimmer look being the perfect mix).

Do you play any sports that all of this helps you at? Is it just for personal preference in terms of how you look?

I've been working out pretty hard and I love the feeling. I am working out though first and foremost so that my body feels good. Not necessarily strong, or anything but rather liquid like. I want to feel fast, light, and strong (aka a young Jordan).

Most importantly, I want to gain back flexibility a lot. I want to be able to move around with ease, and do so well into my 50's. I could dominate on a basketball court, but I can't touch my toes, and I've had a lot of lower back pain in my life.

These past 20 to 30 days and it is amazing how much of a change it makes. I absolutely love it.

Lifting big league weights doesn't always equate having a huge physique (and the converse is also true). Just look at the lightweight powerlifters. More often than not they're not huge but they're very well-defined like some marble statue.

And damn, I'm getting jelly having no access to more plates right now. Can only go up to 245 with my set and I've broken that barrier for the dead long ago. Wanna work up from my 300 but no more membership. Just working on my OHP (Which sucks. Really wanna hit that bodyweight press by December) and Power Cleans right now aside from auxilliary movements, but got damn I miss lifting a bar off the floor.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #857
plowking
Kevin Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0uV-VrI-6A

Big E Langston hits up muscle beach for a workout

GAWWWD damn

Did this mofo just close grip bench press 405lbs for reps?

I've never done anything over 225lbs for close grip. Shit is just too much strain on joints IMO.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #858
Rolando
Local High School Star

Quote:
Do they really though? I rarely see bodybuilder/or just swoll huge dudes in general with hot chicks. Either they are with fat chicks, or chicks that look really muscular. Maybe I'm just salty subconsciously ahah.

The guys I see getting the hottest chicks out of groups (like nerdy azn, buff black dude, fat white guy, etc) is the skinny white boys. Those boy always seem to pull great looking chicks of all races.

From what I see, the bodybuilder types around here get with extremely hot and fit women that perhaps spend too much time in the tanning salon.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #859
sundizz
National High School Star

What's the deal with stretch marks? I don't check out bodybuilder pics/guys that have gotten big/seen in person so do a lot of them have big stretch marks?

I barely work out and I can tell I'll have hella stretch marks if I put on even a little bit of muscle. It sucks. Is it just a genetics thing?
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #860
ThickassGlasses
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Do they really though? I rarely see bodybuilder/or just swoll huge dudes in general with hot chicks. Either they are with fat chicks, or chicks that look really muscular. Maybe I'm just salty subconsciously ahah.

The guys I see getting the hottest chicks out of groups (like nerdy azn, buff black dude, fat white guy, etc) is the skinny white boys. Those boy always seem to pull great looking chicks of all races.

From what I've found, women usually gawk at the "huge" guy (that has a relatively low BF, no one cares if your 250 but 20%BF) but kind of like guys around a super models, they don't always go for him.

But yes, it would appear that women like the Ryan Reynolds(Blade:Trinity)/Brad Pitt (Fight Club) model more than the Rock's physique. I could care less about what they think, I do it for me. I feel better in every way from doing in the gym what I couldn't do a week ago. Pushing myself to the limit constantly makes me feel good and proud. I also happen to enjoy the hell out of lifting heavy stuff and getting bigger and stronger.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #861
ThickassGlasses

Quote:
What's the deal with stretch marks? I don't check out bodybuilder pics/guys that have gotten big/seen in person so do a lot of them have big stretch marks?

I barely work out and I can tell I'll have hella stretch marks if I put on even a little bit of muscle. It sucks. Is it just a genetics thing?

Most amateur big guys will have them, anyone that is having their picture taken because of their physique has probably used tons of oils and creams for their stretch marks. I hear coconut oil is very good for this.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #862
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Why do you guys lift so much weight? I'm really very curious. Girls, for the most part, seem to go for a leaner look (swimmer look being the perfect mix).

Do you play any sports that all of this helps you at? Is it just for personal preference in terms of how you look?

I've been working out pretty hard and I love the feeling. I am working out though first and foremost so that my body feels good. Not necessarily strong, or anything but rather liquid like. I want to feel fast, light, and strong (aka a young Jordan).

Most importantly, I want to gain back flexibility a lot. I want to be able to move around with ease, and do so well into my 50's. I could dominate on a basketball court, but I can't touch my toes, and I've had a lot of lower back pain in my life.

These past 20 to 30 days and it is amazing how much of a change it makes. I absolutely love it.

I'll never have a swimmers body, I have large bones and a wide frame in general, my waist even if I dropped all fat probably won't go any lower than 33". And I lift heavy because it's nice to challenge yourself and see if you can beat a personal best.

I work out because I used to be fat, so the pain and soreness from heavy lifting is a nice reminder not to let it happen again.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #863
riseagainst
Lebrontard slayer fam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
Dude was curling in the squat rack!

I hate those people. But I can tolerate it.

Recently I was going in for leg day and the squat rack was taken by a black couple doing curls. So I waited there for about 5 minutes and they were done and didn't rack the those tens they put on and just left. Annoyed me so much.

riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #864
JEFFERSON MONEY
Glory be to Allah

Hill sprints, cold shower, and cheeseburger is one helluva combo.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #865
ThickassGlasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
I hate those people. But I can tolerate it.

Recently I was going in for leg day and the squat rack was taken by a black couple doing curls. So I waited there for about 5 minutes and they were done and didn't rack the those tens they put on and just left. Annoyed me so much.

Since I've moved, my new gym only has 1 squat rack, 1 power rack, and 1 smith machine (obviously the most used ) but 75% of the time someone is curling in the squat rack. Lately I've actually had to resort to bringing a curl bar over to them and asking them to switch out. Most people are very upset but they usually get the hint they don't need the whole rack. Hell, even go to a bench (4 of them) to curl there over the 1 damn squat rack.

It's the single most frustrating thing at commercial gyms.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #866
alenleomessi
W

there are cables in this new gym i go, and i kind of fell in love with them, added them to my chest, biceps and delts routine... ( i already did triceps and lats exercises on cables before )
anyone does them? can you gain muscle mass with them or they are just good for getting toned/defined?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #867
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:

When i first started bulking up (I'd say when i made the jump from the 160s to the 180s) I had stretchmarks all over my shoulders especially, and some on the sides of my chest. They're all gone now but I think the drastic change in size was just something my body wasn't used to

Then again I have tattoos covering both of my shoulders now so hell I wouldn't know anyways
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #868
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
there are cables in this new gym i go, and i kind of fell in love with them, added them to my chest, biceps and delts routine... ( i already did triceps and lats exercises on cables before )
anyone does them? can you gain muscle mass with them or they are just good for getting toned/defined?

What do you mean by cables, a machine like this -

?

If so I use the hell out of that towards the end of my workouts, you can add mass with them especially if you do high rep workouts for hypertrophy. I love the cable machine for everything but it's fantastic for bent over rear delt flyes, and overhead rear delt flyes. You can really target your rear delts with cables (facepulls as well).

I'd say I owe the majority of my shoulder rehab to the cable machine, all the rear delt work I did fixed my impingement.

Last edited by abuC : 08-14-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #869
alenleomessi
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
What do you mean by cables, a machine like this -

?

If so I use the hell out of that towards the end of my workouts, you can add mass with them especially if you do high rep workouts for hypertrophy. I love the cable machine for everything but it's fantastic for bent over rear delt flyes, and overhead rear delt flyes. You can really target your rear delts with cables (facepulls as well).

I'd say I owe the majority of my shoulder rehab to the cable machine, all the rear delt work I did fixed my impingement.
yeah like that

and same here at the end of the workouts

i just hate doing chest flyes with dumbells and lateral raises so i think the cable is better than not doing them at all.. also i only do high cable chest fly right now, should i add low cable chest fly? i start with incline dumbbell chest press, then flat bench press and dips
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #870
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
yeah like that

and same here at the end of the workouts

i just hate doing chest flyes with dumbells and lateral raises so i think the cable is better than not doing them at all.. also i only do high cable chest fly right now, should i add low cable chest fly? i start with incline dumbbell chest press, then flat bench press and dips

Yeah add the low flyes to the mix, I do 3 sets of each with moderate weight and high reps. When it comes to the cables I try to go 12-15 reps. I'm not a fan of DB flyes either, with my shoulder issue I have to be really careful and use perfect form when I do them.

Also, on the cables for your biceps/triceps throw in some negatives towards the end (Letting the weight down/up very slowly), you'll get a ridiculous burn in your arms. Dorian Yates swears negatives are one of the best ways to build muscle, and I'm inclined to believe him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: