Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #856
abuC
Cuba

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
what diet are you doing? Intermittent fasting?

Ultimate Diet 2.0, it is really effective but extremely hard.

For example I never went over 70g of carbs a day from Sunday to Thursday night, and I had to do 3 workouts (2 high volume depletion days) & some cardio in that time period.

Last edited by abuC : 08-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #857
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
Those assistance machines will get you nowhere.

Do however many real pullups that you can, even just one or two. Rest, then do it again. Rest then again. At this point the appropriate muscles will be warmed up and stimulated. Now go over to the Lat Pull Down machine and with relatively light weight bang out a set or two of 10 reps. As you pull, focus on the muscles that you just wrecked on the pullups.
Man I just haven't been able to make any progress on these. I'm trying wide grip, can't even get one. I know slow and steady wins the race, but not getting immediate results on at least one is bothering me.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #858
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Man I just haven't been able to make any progress on these. I'm trying wide grip, can't even get one. I know slow and steady wins the race, but not getting immediate results on at least one is bothering me.

I've always found wide-grip harder, oddly enough. It just doesn't feel right with my shoulders, even if there's less distqnce to cover.

I also had a little bit of trouble with my pull-ups just recently, but with the range of motion. Went back to doing them one by one, making sure that I really get at the very least my eyes below my elbows on the down position.

If you have trouble getting one though, you could try doing bodyweight rows first? When we got a TRX set, it was one of the first things I tried and I believe it really helped with getting a groove for bodyweight pulling. When all I had for bodyweight pulling was the playground though around a couple years ago, I did negatives. Lots of negatives. I timed myself for I think 5-10 minutes then I tried to get AMAP. Needless to say I got freaking sore the next day the first time I tried it.

If you're really willing to put in work though, you could search up the progresssion in Convict Conditioning. There arecertain numbers you have to reach in the original program but it takes a long time. What I did was just take time with each step until I felt comfortable, not necessarily reaching the numbers, then I moved on to the next movement in the ladder.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #859
AirTupac
Official ISH Lakers GM

I was 221 in December (bulking) cut down to 201 and now I'm going back to gaining weight soon.

205.3 lbs atm.

It's nice to take a break here and there to refuel yourself mentally. Otherwise gyming becomes a chore for you.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #860
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I've always found wide-grip harder, oddly enough. It just doesn't feel right with my shoulders, even if there's less distqnce to cover.

I also had a little bit of trouble with my pull-ups just recently, but with the range of motion. Went back to doing them one by one, making sure that I really get at the very least my eyes below my elbows on the down position.

If you have trouble getting one though, you could try doing bodyweight rows first? When we got a TRX set, it was one of the first things I tried and I believe it really helped with getting a groove for bodyweight pulling. When all I had for bodyweight pulling was the playground though around a couple years ago, I did negatives. Lots of negatives. I timed myself for I think 5-10 minutes then I tried to get AMAP. Needless to say I got freaking sore the next day the first time I tried it.

If you're really willing to put in work though, you could search up the progresssion in Convict Conditioning. There arecertain numbers you have to reach in the original program but it takes a long time. What I did was just take time with each step until I felt comfortable, not necessarily reaching the numbers, then I moved on to the next movement in the ladder.
Yeah Convict Conditioning was one of those things I was going to do a while back, but just didn't follow through. I know eventually I'll be able to get something going its just frustrating right now, I think I'll give negatives a shot.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
I was 221 in December (bulking) cut down to 201 and now I'm going back to gaining weight soon.

205.3 lbs atm.

It's nice to take a break here and there to refuel yourself mentally. Otherwise gyming becomes a chore for you.

Speaking of things I can't make progress on The past month I've been trying to lose weight, I want to go from 230 to around 205. I'm afraid I may have cut too many calories too fast? According to difference sources my calories should be around 3K a day to maintain, the past month I've been around 1500 a day on a low carb plan. People say I look slimmer, but the scale hasn't moved much if at all.

At least I've been having success getting my compound lifts up.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #861
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357

Speaking of things I can't make progress on The past month I've been trying to lose weight, I want to go from 230 to around 205. I'm afraid I may have cut too many calories too fast? According to difference sources my calories should be around 3K a day to maintain, the past month I've been around 1500 a day on a low carb plan. People say I look slimmer, but the scale hasn't moved much if at all.

At least I've been having success getting my compound lifts up.

Get a body fat caliper, my weight fluctuates like crazy, I can gain 8lbs in one gym session just from drinking a lot of water. As long as your body fat percentage is dropping you shouldn't worry too much about the weight, especially since your strength is increasing.

And how low are you going with the carbs? My diet has me under 75 for 4 days of the week, under 150 for 2 and 1 day where I carb up (today).
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #862
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Get a body fat caliper, my weight fluctuates like crazy, I can gain 8lbs in one gym session just from drinking a lot of water. As long as your body fat percentage is dropping you shouldn't worry too much about the weight, especially since your strength is increasing.

And how low are you going with the carbs? My diet has me under 75 for 4 days of the week, under 150 for 2 and 1 day where I carb up (today).
Damn I could've had one for free with my latest purchase on bb.com, but opted for the free tshirt

As long as I'm slimming down I really won't be too worried, but I would like to compete in a powerlifting competition in the next couple of months at 205 (well I'd have to weigh in at 198 actually), but my struggles now have me a bit worried.

As for carb levels I've been keeping them around 30g according to the CarbNite diet and have one carb up today as well

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 08-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #863
plowking
Verticle?

Whats everyone's squat numbers like?

I just did legs for the first time in a while due to some hip flexor problems, and put up 285lbs for 6. A bit off what I used to do, but I'm pretty happy with it at 208lbs at the moment.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #864
SourPatchKids
o()xxx[{::::::::::::>

What are possible cons of a half gallon of milk a day, aside from how expensive the habit is
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #865
Rolando
Local High School Star

Squats freak me out. My numbers are crap but I'll post them anyway for the goodness of the thread.

I weigh 165lbs and I can squat 175lbs for 3-5 reps. My goal is to get this up to 200lbs by Christmas.

My legs obviously ain't nothing special.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #866
JohnnySic
green is good

Squat 275x6. Goal is 315x6 by year's end.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #867
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I weight 185 and do 205x20 for 2 sets on squats. I don't really plan on going much heavier. Especially when doing 20 reps.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #868
ThickassGlasses
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat

Start with iso holds an negatives. You can also use mini bands to help, the only problem is they offer the least resistance when you need it the most (at the top). Just make sure, your using your lats, get the elbows to your back pockets and chest, not chin, to the bar. My pullups were increasing like crazy but I've bought fat gripz and gained a good 10 to 13 pounds and now I can't seem to hit more than 10 solid reps at anytime with the fat gripz on there.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #869
ThickassGlasses
Serious playground baller

Squats for me have greatly improved lately by adding more hip thrusters (bridges) to some workouts. Last time I squared heavy I hit 335 for 6 then for 5 to power lifting depth. I usually do higher Rep Olympic depth now, which sucks because I enjoy the heavier weight versus higher reps.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #870
abuC
Cuba

Here's what I ate during my carb up period -

Start of carb up Thursday night
Chicken parm (low fat mozz) / Spaghetti (5 cups)

Friday morning
Breakfast -
11 servings of Honey bunches of oats
3 garlic bagels

Lunch -
3 slices of pizza
Big salad
2 beef patties (Jamaican)

Dinner -
3 grilled chicken breasts & plain spaghetti (5 cups)
Salad

Later friday night -
4 servings Frosted mini wheats

Also had 4 scoops of whey, it was around 8400 calories, 500g of protein, 1200g carbs and today I woke up looking leaner than I have in months. This diet is amazing, my power day is today was supposed to go to the gym this morning but decided to go around 5 ish. I get to see how well the diet is working in terms of if I still have my normal strength, or have increased.

Last edited by abuC : 08-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: