Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #946
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Sorry guys, haven't posted in here in awhile. Reason being, the discussion was turning into more about strength training, (which I don't have much interest in) than bodybuilding or fitness.

Been training my ass off and pushing record weights(for me). But for some reason been looking small/flat lately. Probably has something to do with my diet and how active I've been outside of the gym.

Now that we're into September I plan on doing a bulk till at least February. Going from the 10 rep range (which I currently do) to the 8 rep range and obviously raising my weight and food intake.

btw nice gains B-Low. You look like a Hodge twin in the second pick.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #947
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Rear delt/rotator cuff is feeling a lot better. Still making sure to do a whole bunch of rear delt work though, and a whole lot of pulls over pushes.

Gave flat bench a try again, I think about 2 or 3 days ago, and felt okay with 315lbs for 6. Really comfortable, and just concentrated on keeping my shoulders pinned back the whole time.
Saying that though, will continue with the decline, and not touch the flat again for a while. Only really did it again for the ego, to see if I still can lift a decent amount.
Been doing a lot of rowing recently as well, which I'm sure has helped.

Good to read, I think the delt problems everyone is suffering is from over development of the front since you, B-LOW and I all had what amounts to the same injury. Overdeveloped front delts seem to cause impingements, once the rear gets hit then everything starts to balance out.

Zan, I'm mostly into fitness, don't necessarily care too much about powerlifting since it doesn't really fit my needs.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #948
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Sorry guys, haven't posted in here in awhile. Reason being, the discussion was turning into more about strength training, (which I don't have much interest in) than bodybuilding or fitness.
It's the ISH fit-club, talk about whatever the **** you want

...but really though there's enough diversity in this group that you don't have to take a hiatus from the thread, there's always somebody willing to discuss a certain type of training.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #949
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Good to read, I think the delt problems everyone is suffering is from over development of the front since you, B-LOW and I all had what amounts to the same injury. Overdeveloped front delts seem to cause impingements, once the rear gets hit then everything starts to balance out.

Zan, I'm mostly into fitness, don't necessarily care too much about powerlifting since it doesn't really fit my needs.

Yeah my rear delts definitely are a decent ways behind my front delts as far as size/strength goes. I've been doing a lot more pulling exercises with the cables, and prone rows with the dumbells which has helped, but still got a long ways to go. Just gotta chalk it up as a learning experience and work on em some more

And yeah Zan just start a new topic if you're not into the one other people are on. I'm not big on heavy lifting and stuff either. I've said before I have no clue what my maxes are cuz I've never cared enough to find out. Like sunsfan said there's enough people in here that whatever topic you do bring up there's gonna be a handful of other people who wanna discuss it too
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #950
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
It's the ISH fit-club, talk about whatever the **** you want

...but really though there's enough diversity in this group that you don't have to take a hiatus from the thread, there's always somebody willing to discuss a certain type of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
And yeah Zan just start a new topic if you're not into the one other people are on. I'm not big on heavy lifting and stuff either. I've said before I have no clue what my maxes are cuz I've never cared enough to find out. Like sunsfan said there's enough people in here that whatever topic you do bring up there's gonna be a handful of other people who wanna discuss it too

Just to clarify, I wasn't all butthurt or anything . I just didn't have much to add to the conversation at hand. Also couldn't think of any topic or issue from my side. Hence me not being very active in this thread.

That being said. I have to add some sort of pulley machine to my home gym. Doing heavy bent-over rows is having it's toll on my lower back. I want to do seated cable rows as a replacement. This means I will probably have to sell my rack and get something like this...

sh!t ain't cheap....
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #951
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Yeah my rear delts definitely are a decent ways behind my front delts as far as size/strength goes. I've been doing a lot more pulling exercises with the cables, and prone rows with the dumbells which has helped, but still got a long ways to go. Just gotta chalk it up as a learning experience and work on em some more

Yeah man, I neglected my rear delts for a while. Bent over cable rear delt rows are great too, you can really feel your delts burning. Aside from the health benefits to the shoulder, hitting the rears have really brought out that 3-D look to mine.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't all butthurt or anything . I just didn't have much to add to the conversation at hand. Also couldn't think of any topic or issue from my side. Hence me not being very active in this thread.

That being said. I have to add some sort of pulley machine to my home gym. Doing heavy bent-over rows is having it's toll on my lower back. I want to do seated cable rows as a replacement. This means I will probably have to sell my rack and get something like this...

sh!t ain't cheap....

Lucky, you have a home gym? Also, try doing Pendlay rows if your back is starting to hurt from bent overs. I don't go any higher than 225 with bent over, but with pendlays I go much heavier since the weight starts on the floor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

Anyone thinking of a diet I highly recommend Ultimate Diet 2.0, if you're around 15% body fat and want to cut.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #952
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Lucky, you have a home gym? Also, try doing Pendlay rows if your back is starting to hurt from bent overs. I don't go any higher than 225 with bent over, but with pendlays I go much heavier since the weight starts on the floor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZlRrIsoDpKg.

Interesting, thanks abuC! I've never seen that exercise. I will try it. But will have to start pretty light, cause I've never tried it before.

Yes I have a home gym, my whole basement is a gym. Anyone who has the space I would HIGHLY recommend getting your own gym. So damn convenient. I bought most of my equipment off of Craigslist for a fraction of the price of new. The only thing I'm missing is a pully/cable system. Which I didn't think I needed until my lower back thought differently. I don't really have the room to put a machine by it's self which is why I'm looking to get a rack/pully combo like the picture above.

Last edited by Zan Tabak : 09-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #953
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
A couple videos of my deadlifts today.

Nothing heavy, just 345 for 6's, ended up doing 4 sets at that weight, I believe these were the middle two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjx90...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMo2Y...ature=youtu.be
One thing I would suggest is don't lose form bringing down the weight. Lean more if possible.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #954
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:

sh!t ain't cheap....

Maybe you could try using bands first instead of cables? Saves space plus you could just anchor it through your rack and you're good to go for some seated rows. Of course, resistance progression won't be as good but it's, I guess, a suitable alternative and one that could do you good for sometime.

Personally though, I think this shows the importance of: 1) Alternating between blocks of bodybuilding and strength training, and 2) Using bodyweight variations of a movement pattern.

Sure, you're moving weight, and more, but at the volume that usual bodybuilding programs entail, certain movements, such as the bent over row, don't lend itself very well to that intensity (and I mean weight) and volume. Spending even just two weeks focusing on a very minimalist program on one pull and one push for nothing more than ten heavy reps a session should do you good.

With bodyweight training, it's really forced me to listen to how my body moves. Comparing the time when I didn't have a TRX and was forced to do rows with a bar, I definitely get more tension out of the bodyweight variation. When I think about it, I never really achieved powerful contractions with rows, and that was already doing them strict. Not to mention with TRX rows, virtually no back pain since you're suspended and your body's in one straight line. Come to think of it actually, instead of the bands suggestion, you could try and look for a cheap set of gymnastic rings that you could loop up on your rack and do rows there instead.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #955
alenleomessi
W

Quote:

Been training my ass off and pushing record weights(for me). But for some reason been looking small/flat lately. Probably has something to do with my diet and how active I've been outside of the gym.

Now that we're into September I plan on doing a bulk till at least February. Going from the 10 rep range (which I currently do) to the 8 rep range and obviously raising my weight and food intake.

btw nice gains B-Low. You look like a Hodge twin in the second pick.
+1
same, i dont/cant eat a lot right now probably because its summer and hot, i go to bed very late 5am-6am ( last food intake is basically at like 12-1am after that only some drink, milk and some crackers, chocolate...) i wake up at like 1-2pm and dont feel like eating for one hour or two... so yeah im waiting for the fall/winter its definitely the best time to bulk... i put almost 15 pounds last year from november to march... and havent moved a lot since then maybe 5 pounds tops..
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #956
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Maybe you could try using bands first instead of cables? Saves space plus you could just anchor it through your rack and you're good to go for some seated rows. Of course, resistance progression won't be as good but it's, I guess, a suitable alternative and one that could do you good for sometime.

Personally though, I think this shows the importance of: 1) Alternating between blocks of bodybuilding and strength training, and 2) Using bodyweight variations of a movement pattern.

Sure, you're moving weight, and more, but at the volume that usual bodybuilding programs entail, certain movements, such as the bent over row, don't lend itself very well to that intensity (and I mean weight) and volume. Spending even just two weeks focusing on a very minimalist program on one pull and one push for nothing more than ten heavy reps a session should do you good.

With bodyweight training, it's really forced me to listen to how my body moves. Comparing the time when I didn't have a TRX and was forced to do rows with a bar, I definitely get more tension out of the bodyweight variation. When I think about it, I never really achieved powerful contractions with rows, and that was already doing them strict. Not to mention with TRX rows, virtually no back pain since you're suspended and your body's in one straight line. Come to think of it actually, instead of the bands suggestion, you could try and look for a cheap set of gymnastic rings that you could loop up on your rack and do rows there instead.

Good advice dude! It's funny you mention the rings, I was actually also thinking of that. I want to buy the rings. But also will eventually get some sort of cable system.

Edit also I don't like the bands, I have a good set at home, they just don't do it for me.

Last edited by Zan Tabak : 09-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #957
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
+1
same, i dont/cant eat a lot right now probably because its summer and hot, i go to bed very late 5am-6am ( last food intake is basically at like 12-1am after that only some drink, milk and some crackers, chocolate...) i wake up at like 1-2pm and dont feel like eating for one hour or two... so yeah im waiting for the fall/winter its definitely the best time to bulk... i put almost 15 pounds last year from november to march... and havent moved a lot since then maybe 5 pounds tops..

For sure. Sh!t can be frustrating, especially when your working your ass off. But there is one thing I know for sure when it comes to moving weights. Consistency is your greatest weapon/asset. Lift on brah!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #958
B-Low
The Love B-Low

I've mentioned it on here before a lot of times but if you're looking for something to do rows and other pulley/resistance band exercises with, look into the Tower 200. I bought one about 2 years ago and it's one of my favorite pieces of equipment I've ever bought. You can put the handles on the high cords or the low ones to do bent over rows vs. upright rows so there's variation, and you can adjust the resistance to make it a light or heavy workout. Throw in that there's about 200 other exercises you can do with it and it's def a worthwhile purchase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINmw0smNQ8

You can get it at Wal Mart, Target, ***** etc for like $170. Might even be cheaper now
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #959
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
I've mentioned it on here before a lot of times but if you're looking for something to do rows and other pulley/resistance band exercises with, look into the Tower 200. I bought one about 2 years ago and it's one of my favorite pieces of equipment I've ever bought. You can put the handles on the high cords or the low ones to do bent over rows vs. upright rows so there's variation, and you can adjust the resistance to make it a light or heavy workout. Throw in that there's about 200 other exercises you can do with it and it's def a worthwhile purchase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINmw0smNQ8

You can get it at Wal Mart, Target, ***** etc for like $170. Might even be cheaper now
Looks pretty good. But like I said. Bands just dont do it for me, just something about the way they feel. I know other people who love them, so I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #960
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star

I've been studying Qigong, Feldenkrais, Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Superjoints (Russian Flexibility) technique, Tim Ferri'ss 4 hour body, and Elliot Hulse's and Lee Holden's channel thoroughly lately.

Wll report with findings soon.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: