Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #946
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

What are your guys' thoughts on meal frequency? I personally go by how my schedule is. If I got sh*t to do today, I may have to squeeze 2,000 cals in one sitting
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #947
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
What are your guys' thoughts on meal frequency? I personally go by how my schedule is. If I got sh*t to do today, I may have to squeeze 2,000 cals in one sitting
I'm probably the wrong guy to answer this. Out of the Big Three (Training, Sleeping, and Eating) eating is my weakest one. But from what I understand, your body won't be able to process a huge meal like that in one sitting, a lot of the nutrients will go to waste. Much better to eat 6 small meals throughout the day. Easier said than done, I know.
Zan Tabak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #948
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiens
Usually seated OHP, sometimes DB. Yea, once a week and I'm one of those guys that goes heavy 90% of the time .... I think I'm just gonna drop the weight and deload for a few weeks as I usually work in a 6-10 range or so.

Yeah, I would back off for a couple weeks and switch it to a seated OH press variation. Start building that up after a session or two, and once you feel you've made decent progress there, try a seated variation again and see if that plateau has been broken.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #949
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

I used to be a strict 5 meals a day kinda guy.

Then I started IF and became a two meals and a shake guy, which I found great for cutting but hard for me for bulking, especially clean bulking.

So now, I usually eat 3 or 4, but some days end up as two. I like how John Romaniello put it in his book Engineering the Alpha (more or less a book about IF), eating too often causes insulin levels to bounce around a lot. So while I may eat 4 meals in a day, no carbs are had until after working out, and even then 80% of my carbs are eating directly after a workout. I've found meal timing more important than frequency to be honest, heck even more important than what you actually eat.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #950
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
became a two meals and a shake guy

That's basically me most days. I try to squeeze in one more meal before bed (making me a 3 meal shake guy) but cannot sometimes. I just don't have that big of an appetite
Zan Tabak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #951
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Been doing a low carb version of Paleo. Feel like my body is telling me I need carbs though. Trying to hold out for my anniversary next weekend so I can have refeed meal at a nice spot.
IGOTGAME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #952
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

For you other low carb guys, do you count green veggies as carbs or as a free food?

I count them as a free food, and it seems to be working, I was just wondering how everyone felt. If you don't, then what in the holy hell do you eat?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #953
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
For you other low carb guys, do you count green veggies as carbs or as a free food?

I count them as a free food, and it seems to be working, I was just wondering how everyone felt. If you don't, then what in the holy hell do you eat?

I don't really count carbs or calories in general. But veggies have carbs but I doubt they have that much. You are prob fine.

My typical day is:

5 pieces of bacon
2 eggs

Fruits rough out the day.

Dinner modest two pieces of beef, pork or fish
And veggies

After a tough workout I will have either a cocunut water or sweet potatoe.

I play basketball 5 times a 4/5 times a week and lift three times. It's really been hard playing basketball. My energy just isn't the same. Weird thing is I don't feel hungry. Only negative effect is I have less in the tank for high intensity activities. Just had a soup and the carbs seems to have helped. Was feeling weird before that.

I've lost a lot of weight so far but I'm sure most of itis water. Just trying to remember that slow and steady wins the race.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #954
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
After a tough workout I will have either a cocunut water or sweet potatoe.

I absolutely bow to you for being able to tolerate the taste of coconut water

I can normally force myself to tolerate the taste of something if i know its good for me, but coconut water i lasted one desperation gulp before i threw the rest out. One of the worst things ive ever tasted
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #955
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I absolutely bow to you for being able to tolerate the taste of coconut water

I can normally force myself to tolerate the taste of something if i know its good for me, but coconut water i lasted one desperation gulp before i threw the rest out. One of the worst things ive ever tasted

Really? I love cocunut water. Didnt know people didnt like it.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #956
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

i think i had the best week so far since i started working out, i worked every muscle group to the fullest..

mon-chest; tue-back; wed-legs/delts; thu-arms; fri-rest.

im definitely sticking to this one.
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #957
plowking
greeting earthlings

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC

Make sure you do not use a false/suicide (thumbless) grip when you do decline, easy way to get yourself killed if the weight slips. If you have a spot to help you with getting the weights in position DB decline is the way to go also.

Avoid upright rows until your shoulder feels better, if you have to do them use a shoulder width grip.

Finally got around to it today.

Did a fairly light session, and I gotta say, I love the decline already. Only did 135lbs for 12, 185lbs for 12, 225lbs for 12 and 245lbs for 12, and felt better. I've never really done it to be honest bar a few times, but it feels like it hits a completely different part of my chest. A LOT less strain on the shoulders too.

With incline, I would feel it messing up on my warm up set on 135lbs. Here I can essentially add double the weight and it feels better than my warm up set.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #958
KyleKong
ISH Rookie of The Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

Really? I love cocunut water. Didnt know people didnt like it.

Same, everyone i know facking loves cocunut water. Tastes like the milk after you eat frosted flakes.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #959
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:

Doesn't really matter. As long as you eat a lot (if you want to gain) or eat less than you should (if you want to lose), and the quality of your food is what matters most. Just like ThickassGlasses, I've been on IF for the last year and a half and have gained 17 lbs last time I checked. I'm at my leanest, although my abs aren't that defined. They'd probably pop more if I did more "direct ab work."

And who said he doesn't like coconut water?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #960
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Finally got around to it today.

Did a fairly light session, and I gotta say, I love the decline already. Only did 135lbs for 12, 185lbs for 12, 225lbs for 12 and 245lbs for 12, and felt better. I've never really done it to be honest bar a few times, but it feels like it hits a completely different part of my chest. A LOT less strain on the shoulders too.

With incline, I would feel it messing up on my warm up set on 135lbs. Here I can essentially add double the weight and it feels better than my warm up set.

You can also try putting a 45lb plate under a flat bench for DB or BB bench and get a much more shoulder friendly angle without making it completely decline. I know plenty of people that have to bench that way to not feel a cranky shoulder act up. The final step would be to only do DB bench with a neutral grip.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: