Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1066
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

I would like advice...

In January of 2011 I started out at my heaviest weight ever. I was 248 pounds and I'm 6'0" barefoot. I was so disgusted with myself. From January until May all I did was run and I cut out all junk food and soda and mostly drank water and milk (in the morning). I got down to 195 pounds just doing that. From May until July I did HIIT and got down to 181 with doing the same type of diet. I stayed around this until around November/December give or take 5 pounds. My goal weight I wanted was 170-180. Then I lost my job, got a new job. Didn't work out or watch what I ate. From December I went from 180-190 and got up to 228 as off a couple months ago.

The last few weeks I worked out a little bit and been watching what I eat and I'm down to 214. I feel better, I notice changes (I can suck my gut in much more than a month ago).

I don't want to get ripped or super-shredded. I'd just let to have a little bit of ab definition. My gut is my biggest thing.

What do you think is a good way to achieve what I want?
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1067
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I would like advice...

In January of 2011 I started out at my heaviest weight ever. I was 248 pounds and I'm 6'0" barefoot. I was so disgusted with myself. From January until May all I did was run and I cut out all junk food and soda and mostly drank water and milk (in the morning). I got down to 195 pounds just doing that. From May until July I did HIIT and got down to 181 with doing the same type of diet. I stayed around this until around November/December give or take 5 pounds. My goal weight I wanted was 170-180. Then I lost my job, got a new job. Didn't work out or watch what I ate. From December I went from 180-190 and got up to 228 as off a couple months ago.

The last few weeks I worked out a little bit and been watching what I eat and I'm down to 214. I feel better, I notice changes (I can suck my gut in much more than a month ago).

I don't want to get ripped or super-shredded. I'd just let to have a little bit of ab definition. My gut is my biggest thing.

I was at 230 a couple of years ago (5 foot 9), now I'm at 154, jogged 5 miles a day, 5 times a week. I continue to run, but I'm no longer losing weight. I still have small man boobs and a gut, it doesn't matter how much you run, you are not losing that gut just by running. Just have to do sit ups and watch your diet I guess.
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #1068
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I would like advice...

You can't spot reduce, so the only way for your abs to gain definition is for you to cut weight overall while also hitting your abs a lot. You can work them 3 times a week. And honestly, just start lifting weights, body weight or some form of strength training.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #1069
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Since winter's coming up and I won't be able to get outside to run or anything for a few months I'm thinking about buying something to use indoors. Just wanted some input.

I had a treadmill that died, but I'm also debating some other options. I've seen some people say they like ellipticals better because it's low impact and running can do some damage on the joints, and I've also been thinking about a stationary bike, which probably runs the cheapest of the 3.

Anyone have any opinions on the 3?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #1070
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Since winter's coming up and I won't be able to get outside to run or anything for a few months I'm thinking about buying something to use indoors. Just wanted some input.

I had a treadmill that died, but I'm also debating some other options. I've seen some people say they like ellipticals better because it's low impact and running can do some damage on the joints, and I've also been thinking about a stationary bike, which probably runs the cheapest of the 3.

I bike a lot in the summer, so maybe I'm biased. But I'd recommend a 'spin bike'. Killer cardio workout, and easier than jogging on the joints.

You might be able to score one off Craigslist for a decent price. Brand new they can be pretty expensive.

Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #1071
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low

Maybe get a Kettlebell? 30 minute session of swing intervals should get your heart racing. Not sure how much it would be compared to the treadmill or other options out there though.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #1072
sundizz
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
I was at 230 a couple of years ago (5 foot 9), now I'm at 154, jogged 5 miles a day, 5 times a week. I continue to run, but I'm no longer losing weight. I still have small man boobs and a gut, it doesn't matter how much you run, you are not losing that gut just by running. Just have to do sit ups and watch your diet I guess.

So clearly you need to add some pull-ups, push-ups and other body weight exercises to your regimen.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #1073
alenleomessi
W

today a pretty big guy in the gym asked me if i take anything
feels pretty good
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1074
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
feels pretty good

How are you going with your lifts? Gaining weight?

I'm cutting down for the Australian summer over here. Lost a bit over 8lbs and no loss in strength so far. Pretty happy. That said, its probably because I'm still chowing down 280g of protein a day.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1075
alenleomessi
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
How are you going with your lifts? Gaining weight?

I'm cutting down for the Australian summer over here. Lost a bit over 8lbs and no loss in strength so far. Pretty happy. That said, its probably because I'm still chowing down 280g of protein a day.
its been alright, gained 25 lbs since last november, exactly a year since i started going to the gym.. from 145 to 170... cant expect the same for next november but even 180-85 wouldnt be bad..

280 g of protein... damn you people eat a lot of food... if it isnt for protein shakes i wouldnt get past 100g.. anyway what do you eat?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1076
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
its been alright, gained 25 lbs since last november, exactly a year since i started going to the gym.. from 145 to 170... cant expect the same for next november but even 180-85 wouldnt be bad..

280 g of protein... damn you people eat a lot of food... if it isnt for protein shakes i wouldnt get past 100g.. anyway what do you eat?

Trust me, its not like I enjoy eating it.
The food is so dense with protein, its not actually that enjoyable (well at least what I just ate). I just want to get cut up to look good for the beach.

I just finished up breakfast. 3 full eggs, 3 egg whites, 85g can of tuna, 2 low fat slices of cheese, and low fat cottage cheese. Basically an omelette with cottage cheese on top. That's about 65g of protein.
Usually about 2 hours after, I'll grab a shake with another 30-35g of protein. So I already have about 100g of protein before 10:30 - 11:00am.
I'll most definitely have another shake by the end of the day, and I always get at least 60-70g of protein for dinner with a steak or chicken breasts.

Breakfast was a bitch to eat today... Gonna go with oats and whey protein tomorrow.

I'm trying to get down to 193lbs or there abouts. Might be a bit of an excessive cut for a 6'3 guy, but we'll see. Haven't been that light in a long while.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #1077
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
feels pretty good

At first you're insulted, then you're like "**** yeah".

Completely unrelated, I'm going to need an MRI on my shoulders soon, that ultimate diet 2.0 had so much volume for my shoulders that I probably damaged them since they ache pretty much 24/7 now. The left never hurt before, now I wake up with what feels like a sore left shoulder pretty much every morning. But, at least they look 3-D as hell now lol
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #1078
PistonsFan#21
College superstar

damn never payed attention to this thread before. Glad to see there is other people that powerlift instead of all the ''bodybuilding'' routines you see in the gym day in and day out.

For my 1 rep maxes ive maxed out at:

150lbs standing over head press
240lbs for bench press
350lbs squat (did 315lbs for 5 reps though it was a huge milestone lol)
455lbs deadlift

My weight was 152lbs and im about 5'9"

Now ive stopped doing weights for about a year or so because i mainly focus on boxing training. Im gonna start back doing squats and deadlifts. Hopefully i hit 500lbs by the end of next summer
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #1079
alenleomessi
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Impressive. What's your height? Ive gone from 160-200ish since february at 6'4. Feel like Ive barely made any progress aesthetically though.
5'11.5 maybe 6'0.. you are pretty tall though it will take some time i guess... its not like im looking anything great either... im just glad im not superskinny anymore which ive been all my teenage years
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #1080
plowking
Verticle?

Question... well multiple questions.

How many of you stretch here? Just general whole body?
How about specific problem areas?
Before or after workout? Both?

How many of you have problems with your lower back? How many of you bother to stretch, foam roll and pressure point massage your piriformis and hip flexors?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: