Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #1096
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I honestly don't get how some people squat that much more than me while having a lighter deadlift.
I'm back to doing 335lbs for 5, for squats... Yet my deadlift is anywhere from 525-550lbs for 1 on any given day.

The thing is, I have quite thick legs, and a somewhat slim midsection, so I don't understand why my lifts are the way they are. I'd naturally assume I'd be better at squats.

Speaking of deadlifts, I found this video really helpful recently. Another Elliot Hulse one, but the guy is great when it comes to help videos and what not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5qcN_w_m8c

I was doing form checks with 225lbs all night last night until I was finally able to look at the video and be happy with what was going on.
It depends, a good deadlift is dependent on someone having great leverages and knowing how to use them as much as pure strength. I still struggle with finding a form that feels great to me, but I'm getting there. Also, a lot of times people that squat more than DL or are really close end up squatting high. Of course there are exceptions but a lot of times that is the case. Mine are pretty close but I'm starting to improve my DL and widen that gap.

I've never been much of a fan of Hulse, but I'll definitely check out that vid. He does have some useful stuff.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #1097
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

LongLiveTheKing has decent reputationLongLiveTheKing has decent reputation

I'm so weak and I need to get stronger soon. I'm on the varsity basketball team and I need to get stronger to play.
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #1098
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
I'm so weak and I need to get stronger soon. I'm on the varsity basketball team and I need to get stronger to play.

Good that you realize that, man. I only wonder how I would've performed if I wasn't trying to bulk up at the same time I played varsity ball (which didn't work. Too much energy being used for me to gain anything haha). Good luck on this journey you're about to take.

I need some advice. Looking to try getting some post-training shakes back in, but still not looking to pay for protein shakes after they've done nothing for me in the past. I have some coconut milk ice cream here that I was planning on blending with some bananas and cocoa nibs. If I add around 3-4 eggs in there, you guys think it'll still taste alright? I've never tried the old school egg shake thing. If I'm gonna gag from drinking this, please tell me.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #1099
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Might go to a Halloween party as Bane, even though Tom Hardy is much smaller than me
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #1100
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Might go to a Halloween party as Bane, even though Tom Hardy is much smaller than me

I'm doing the same thing, although Tom Hardy looks a shit load more stockier and bulkier than me since I have a tonne of height on him.

Going as a more lean, taller Bane.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #1101
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

much bigger than bane... man that must suck

tyler durden with no abs here
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #1102
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I'm doing the same thing, although Tom Hardy looks a shit load more stockier and bulkier than me since I have a tonne of height on him.

Going as a more lean, taller Bane.

Yeah he's stocky but outside of his traps he's really not that big, I couldn't help but laugh when they had him appear to be 6'5" in the Dark Knight, especially when he put his hand on that guys shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
much bigger than bane... man that must suck

tyler durden with no abs here

Being bigger doesn't suck but I have no neck, which really does suck, if I had one I'd be a cool 6'3"
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #1103
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lost a massive amount of weight past 2 months. Not intentional.

Okay new program for hypertrophy.

Hypertrophy Specific Training
Phase 1
Push
Olympic Squat
Leg Press
Incline Bench
OHP
Triceps Push down
Hanging Leg Raises
Planks
Abs and Chin ups (military)

Pull
SLDL
Kettlebell Swing/Leg Curl
Weighted Pull Ups
Low Rows
Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Hanging Leg Raises
Planks

Phase 2
2*10

Phase 3
3*5

This is my first time in a decent gym. Ever. Ecstatic. So grateful right now. And after spending time mentally *********ing like a buffoon and nitpicking at food I decided to say fukk it and aim at a ballpark of 3000-3500 calories. Creatine as well. And proper rest. Underwent surgery to fix a broken septumf rom being punched in the fast so breathing rate has gone up.

Inevitably real gains and real strength will come. I peaked at a 230/350/415 at 170ish a few years back, which is a JOKE compared to plow and abuc and bmulls lol. My mentality is that I've never lifted before. I can't believe a few years back I used to do things like eat egg whites, and eat salad without dressing and have no carb days while overtraining to maintain abs God its fun to laugh at myself.

Commence legitimate strength training.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #1104
PullupJay
This Digital Ghost

PullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Lost a massive amount of weight past 2 months. Not intentional.

Okay new program for hypertrophy.

Hypertrophy Specific Training
Phase 1
Push
Olympic Squat
Leg Press
Incline Bench
OHP
Triceps Push down
Hanging Leg Raises
Planks
Abs and Chin ups (military)

Pull
SLDL
Kettlebell Swing/Leg Curl
Weighted Pull Ups
Low Rows
Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Hanging Leg Raises
Planks

Phase 2
2*10

Phase 3
3*5

This is my first time in a decent gym. Ever. Ecstatic. So grateful right now. And after spending time mentally *********ing like a buffoon and nitpicking at food I decided to say fukk it and aim at a ballpark of 3000-3500 calories. Creatine as well. And proper rest. Underwent surgery to fix a broken septumf rom being punched in the fast so breathing rate has gone up.

Inevitably real gains and real strength will come. I peaked at a 230/350/415 at 170ish a few years back, which is a JOKE compared to plow and abuc and bmulls lol. My mentality is that I've never lifted before. I can't believe a few years back I used to do things like eat egg whites, and eat salad without dressing and have no carb days while overtraining to maintain abs God its fun to laugh at myself.

Commence legitimate strength training.

myofibrillar or sarcoplasmic?
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1105
abuC
Cuba

Bad tendonitis in both shoulders has kept me out the gym since Thursday, sucks but I'll be back in there tomorrow.

That said, for anyone that wants their lats to explode I highly recommend one arm lat pulldowns, they've given me some decent wings in a short period of time. You can pull the cable down lower and squeeze at the bottom.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #1106
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Its actually amazing what 3 weeks of really strict dieting can do for you. I'm at around 208lbs now, no loss in strength, and my arms looks bigger. Still getting ready for the Aussie summer over here, so need to get my abs back haha.

Also, I've never really been a fan of machines for chest, but has anyone given the chest press a decent run? I've been using it a lot lately, and I gotta say, I underrated it, and didn't use it properly before.
I drop the weight real low now, and focus on squeezing like crazy. Really makes your chest burn and gives you a huge pump.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #1107
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Its actually amazing what 3 weeks of really strict dieting can do for you. I'm at around 208lbs now, no loss in strength, and my arms looks bigger. Still getting ready for the Aussie summer over here, so need to get my abs back haha.

Also, I've never really been a fan of machines for chest, but has anyone given the chest press a decent run? I've been using it a lot lately, and I gotta say, I underrated it, and didn't use it properly before.
I drop the weight real low now, and focus on squeezing like crazy. Really makes your chest burn and gives you a huge pump.

I use machines for chest/shoulder/back to finish out my workouts, I never understood the hate for them, but then again I go for the bodybuilder approach. They are great for finishing and going to failure on, like you said they give a great pump. I usually switch it up from week to week, at the end of a workout I'll use the hammer strength machines one week and then the standard machines the next week.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1108
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would like advice...

In January of 2011 I started out at my heaviest weight ever. I was 248 pounds and I'm 6'0" barefoot. I was so disgusted with myself. From January until May all I did was run and I cut out all junk food and soda and mostly drank water and milk (in the morning). I got down to 195 pounds just doing that. From May until July I did HIIT and got down to 181 with doing the same type of diet. I stayed around this until around November/December give or take 5 pounds. My goal weight I wanted was 170-180. Then I lost my job, got a new job. Didn't work out or watch what I ate. From December I went from 180-190 and got up to 228 as off a couple months ago.

The last few weeks I worked out a little bit and been watching what I eat and I'm down to 214. I feel better, I notice changes (I can suck my gut in much more than a month ago).

I don't want to get ripped or super-shredded. I'd just let to have a little bit of ab definition. My gut is my biggest thing.

What do you think is a good way to achieve what I want?
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1109
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I would like advice...

In January of 2011 I started out at my heaviest weight ever. I was 248 pounds and I'm 6'0" barefoot. I was so disgusted with myself. From January until May all I did was run and I cut out all junk food and soda and mostly drank water and milk (in the morning). I got down to 195 pounds just doing that. From May until July I did HIIT and got down to 181 with doing the same type of diet. I stayed around this until around November/December give or take 5 pounds. My goal weight I wanted was 170-180. Then I lost my job, got a new job. Didn't work out or watch what I ate. From December I went from 180-190 and got up to 228 as off a couple months ago.

The last few weeks I worked out a little bit and been watching what I eat and I'm down to 214. I feel better, I notice changes (I can suck my gut in much more than a month ago).

I don't want to get ripped or super-shredded. I'd just let to have a little bit of ab definition. My gut is my biggest thing.

I was at 230 a couple of years ago (5 foot 9), now I'm at 154, jogged 5 miles a day, 5 times a week. I continue to run, but I'm no longer losing weight. I still have small man boobs and a gut, it doesn't matter how much you run, you are not losing that gut just by running. Just have to do sit ups and watch your diet I guess.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #1110
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I would like advice...

You can't spot reduce, so the only way for your abs to gain definition is for you to cut weight overall while also hitting your abs a lot. You can work them 3 times a week. And honestly, just start lifting weights, body weight or some form of strength training.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: