Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #1171
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Page 6?? This was all the way back to page 6!

Bump. How's everyone doin in the new year? I've still been pretty consistent doing the DDP Yoga most days with weight training Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I'm telling you guys if you're not doing any kind of yoga, try at least doing 20 minutes or so 1-2 days a week and I promise you'll feel incredible.

I'm in week 2 of my bulking cycle and I can already see the results. I can't wait to see what I look like when I get to 200.

Although I had a minor setback early in the week when I caught a 24 hour stomach virus. I had the bubble guts and was vomiting for 4 hours. I'm back on the grind though and I got back into my diet as well.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #1172
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:

Bump. How's everyone doin in the new year? I've still been pretty consistent doing the DDP Yoga most days with weight training Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I'm telling you guys if you're not doing any kind of yoga, try at least doing 20 minutes or so 1-2 days a week and I promise you'll feel incredible.

I heard it's kinda off-putting since it's supposed to be yoga, peaceful/tranquil and all that but DDP's in your face shouting and all that. Regardless, if you say that, maybe I should give it a shot. I've been thinking of going light this first month or two of the year and doing pure bodyweight stuff with kettlebells on Fridays. I don't feel like touching a heavy bar til March. (<-- blasphemy! Haha!)
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #1173
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:

I started my new program this past Monday, let's just say I'm thanking the heavens for the weekend. Upped the volume on the main lifts and accessories and I am feeling beat. Might be in part to the couple of weeks off I took from my meet too, but it's nice to get back to the grind.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #1174
Balla_Status

Maybe I should try some yoga on Tues and Thurs to increase my flexibility for squats. Really need to work on the mobility on tues/thurs as well. And do some legit stretching before my squats.

I've consistently been in the office for last week and will probably be that way for the next couple of weeks so I've been very consistent with my stronglifts5x5 work outs and eating. Goes to shit on the weekends due to drinking and such but it's all good. Can already see my six pack sneaking back out due to the squats. Need to be looking decent for my cairns trip next month.

I love working out in kilos by the way. Gyms pretty empty for a january and nobody uses the power racks which is awesome. I'm in and out in 30-40 minutes.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 01-12-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #1175
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I've gained like 9 pounds on my bulk in about a month. I think I have a problem with moderation. I can gain large amounts too fast or lose them too fast, but gaining or losing in small quanitities so I dont lose muscle or gain too much fat is difficult.
I had the same issue for a while, just got to get your calorie requirements right. The number that the auto-calculations give you are just a rough estimate and don't take into account some of your personal characteristics.

Also remember, in the first month of a bulk/cut a fair amount of what will be gained or lost is water weight, if your taking creatine at all this will be even more so.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #1176
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Looking for some advice, I'm looking at cutting significantly as I'm trying to lose weight to do some serious cycling. I'm about 205 now but that's around 20% body fat. I used to be semi-serious about lifting, would go 5 times a week or so (never for more than a month at a time though, it was always go for a bit and lose motivation) and at my peak i was about 200 with 15% body fat (diet has always been horrendous). My question is, do I lift on top of the cycling or do you think that'll cut my development of my legs? I know in general lifting is a good way to help cut fat as long as the diet is good, but cos I want to cut down to about 175 is it realistic to gain and still hit weight loss? I'm 5"11 so my goal is to hit 9% body fat
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #1177
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
Looking for some advice, I'm looking at cutting significantly as I'm trying to lose weight to do some serious cycling. I'm about 205 now but that's around 20% body fat. I used to be semi-serious about lifting, would go 5 times a week or so (never for more than a month at a time though, it was always go for a bit and lose motivation) and at my peak i was about 200 with 15% body fat (diet has always been horrendous). My question is, do I lift on top of the cycling or do you think that'll cut my development of my legs? I know in general lifting is a good way to help cut fat as long as the diet is good, but cos I want to cut down to about 175 is it realistic to gain and still hit weight loss? I'm 5"11 so my goal is to hit 9% body fat

Gain what? Muscle?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #1178
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
Gain what? Muscle?

Yeah, nothing huge, just so I can get back to doing pullups and stuff like that
Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #1179
AirMike
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

My goal for 2014 is to incorporate the olympic lifts into my workout routine. So far I started doing power cleans and overhead squats. After I mastered these enough I would like to progress to clean and jerks and snatches...that is the plan.
The first problem I'm having right now is that during the overhead squat I can't keep my arms behind my head. They just keep falling forward and I can feel pain in my shoulder blades. Any of you guys have experience with it ? Any advice on learning the olympic lifts is welcomed
AirMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #1180
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Quote:
Yeah, nothing huge, just so I can get back to doing pullups and stuff like that

You won't be able to gain much muscle while cutting down. The amount of cardio you will be doing will make your muscles more lean and toned. You can still get stronger though.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #1181
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
If I was you, I'd still lift 2-3 times a week in amongst cycling, focusing on the major compound lifts (bench, deadlift, squad, overhead press, bent over row) as they burn the most calories. It is possible to gain a small amount of mass while cutting, especially if your a bit out of shape and don't go all that often, will have to clean up your diet considerably though for best results.

I mean, 6 weeks of 80% clean eating is more effective that 10 weeks of eating shit. The key is to eat high protein, still stay under your calorie requirements, and only add one 'cheat item' in a meal instead of eating whole cheat meals.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #1182
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
You won't be able to gain much muscle while cutting down. The amount of cardio you will be doing will make your muscles more lean and toned. You can still get stronger though.

OK, thanks for the help. I mean the diet is my main vice, I play soccer and cycle enough to be a reasonable weight if it wasn't so shitty.

Quote:
If I was you, I'd still lift 2-3 times a week in amongst cycling, focusing on the major compound lifts (bench, deadlift, squad, overhead press, bent over row) as they burn the most calories. It is possible to gain a small amount of mass while cutting, especially if your a bit out of shape and don't go all that often, will have to clean up your diet considerably though for best results.

I mean, 6 weeks of 80% clean eating is more effective that 10 weeks of eating shit. The key is to eat high protein, still stay under your calorie requirements, and only add one 'cheat item' in a meal instead of eating whole cheat meals.

I'll give those a go then, most of what I was doing at uni was isolated stuff like curls and dips, never did enough compound stuff.

Yeah the diet is what kills me. I'm aiming to have like meat + eggs for breakfast then salad for lunch and then meat + veg for dinner, just need to find some more recipes for that stuff so it's not so boring. Unfortunately I know a lot more variations of unhealthy crap compared to decent meals
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #1183
ArbitraryWater
Djovak Nokavic

Just hurried myself at the gym, can't miss the ballon d'or presentation

RONALDO
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #1184
alenleomessi
W

well i kind of cheated and made a two week break ( i said i would do one week ).. worked out for 3 hours today... feels good
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #1185
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
OK, thanks for the help. I mean the diet is my main vice, I play soccer and cycle enough to be a reasonable weight if it wasn't so shitty.

I'll give those a go then, most of what I was doing at uni was isolated stuff like curls and dips, never did enough compound stuff.

Yeah the diet is what kills me. I'm aiming to have like meat + eggs for breakfast then salad for lunch and then meat + veg for dinner, just need to find some more recipes for that stuff so it's not so boring. Unfortunately I know a lot more variations of unhealthy crap compared to decent meals
Yeah compound lifts use up much more calories as so many more muscles are used.

Best thing you can do diet wise is pick a good source of protein per meal:
- Meat
- Eggs
- Protein Shake, etc

Try fill your carb needs will salad, fruit and vegetables. Don't forget some healthy fats in avocado, eggs & nuts (almonds preferred).

Best tip I can offer you is go to this website and calculate your calorie requirements, then divide the total number (say 2300 for example) by the number of meals you want to eat. Then you'll know how many calories per meal.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

This will probably mean going to the cupboard and maybe even shops to figure out the nutritional info to fill your meals in with. Might take like 60-90 minutes all up, but solves so many problems.

You'll now know exactly what to eat, have it layed out in front of you, so you will have more motivation to eat healthy and not stray to bad foods. The key for most people is just staying consistent and having a chart will mean you always have healthy ideas and won't fall as easily to the convenience of bad food.

All the best mate, also try to include a good source of protein (20g+) in each meal so your your mainly burning fat.

Last edited by Trentknicks : 01-14-2014 at 12:21 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: