Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #1171
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Dumbells and decline....

Learn to love both and your chest will explode, mine is 49.5" now and has gained a good deal of size & vascularity in just the last year from incorporating decline into my lifts. If you're trying to build a good looking chest, I think DBs are the way to go IMO.
i think im lacking especially in the upper chest.. and i dont think i have any muscle in the inner upper chest.. i dont see how decline would help here... i do dumbbell incline press, flat bench press as my main exercises, and then i do 2-3 more from dips, machine chest press, regular flies, cable flies, chest pullover..
maybe its too early but i dont think i have potential in the chest department despite working it the hardest
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #1172
sunsfan1357
Word.

Finished my first powerlifting meet, didn't do nearly what I wanted to in squats and bench but pulled 474 for a 24 pound PR. Totaled 1105 at 223 lbs bodyweight.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #1173
plowking
well DENG

Congrats sunsfan. Your progress has been pretty crazy since you got motivated and going by your reports from since you started posting in here. Well done bro.

On a more shitty note, I've strained my rhomboid, had it spasm up a week later again, and am pretty much not going to be lifting a single weight for another 4 weeks. Only thing I can hang my hat on is that I've been extremely strict with my diet prior to this and am at about 8-9% bodyfat so I can still look decent for the summer here. Really going to watch what I eat now.
Going to be going to the physio to see how that all goes, but yeah, long process.
Took a good while to evaluate my body and notice any imbalances, and one that has bothered me for a while is that I have a slightly more forward right shoulder (and hence more developed front delt on my right side).
Since its the right rhomboid muscle that is injured, I'm guessing its due to tight right pec muscle, and overstretched back (rhomboid) muscle?
Anyone have this before, and know of the best ways to correct this forward shoulder on one side? Lots of pulls I'm guessing? I've been doing that for a while, though once I upped to doing chest two times a week, I guess it took its toll.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #1174
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Congrats sunsfan. Your progress has been pretty crazy since you got motivated and going by your reports from since you started posting in here. Well done bro.

On a more shitty note, I've strained my rhomboid, had it spasm up a week later again, and am pretty much not going to be lifting a single weight for another 4 weeks. Only thing I can hang my hat on is that I've been extremely strict with my diet prior to this and am at about 8-9% bodyfat so I can still look decent for the summer here. Really going to watch what I eat now.
Going to be going to the physio to see how that all goes, but yeah, long process.
Took a good while to evaluate my body and notice any imbalances, and one that has bothered me for a while is that I have a slightly more forward right shoulder (and hence more developed front delt on my right side).
Since its the right rhomboid muscle that is injured, I'm guessing its due to tight right pec muscle, and overstretched back (rhomboid) muscle?
Anyone have this before, and know of the best ways to correct this forward shoulder on one side? Lots of pulls I'm guessing? I've been doing that for a while, though once I upped to doing chest two times a week, I guess it took its toll.
Is one pec bigger or stronger than the other? Pics of area would probably help.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #1175
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentknicks
Is one pec bigger or stronger than the other? Pics of area would probably help.

Yep. Left pec is bigger and stronger.

Physio has me doing scapula push ups (push up pluses), since apparently my serratus isn't firing or working properly.
Case of winged scapula apparently.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #1176
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:

I'd recommend using dumbbells (at least for your pushes) and watch your form, lift as evenly as possible. Try to stay away from the bar.

Side note. I may have to take some time off myself. Definitely have a mild shoulder separation on my left side (I can tell this by the bone sticking up out of my left shoulder). For a long time now, I've been able to train through it, but now it's hurting a bit more each time I train. So I'm worried if I continue (without letting it heal properly) I'll completely separate it, and that will put me out half a year.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #1177
sunsfan1357
Word.

Anyone get any fitness related stuff for Christmas? Got some gift cards, threw in some of my own money and came out with a 10mm Inzer forever lever belt.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #1178
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i think im lacking especially in the upper chest.. and i dont think i have any muscle in the inner upper chest.. i dont see how decline would help here... i do dumbbell incline press, flat bench press as my main exercises, and then i do 2-3 more from dips, machine chest press, regular flies, cable flies, chest pullover..
maybe its too early but i dont think i have potential in the chest department despite working it the hardest

If you're trying to build muscle, less reps/heavier weight is what you're going to be aiming for.

Something like 4-6 reps with 5 sets is usually ideal. Increase the weight each week by 5-10 pounds. You're also going to want to eat heavy as well. You don't want to get on any machines as those are typically meant to increase definition. Free weights and bars are much better. I'd say do two different exercises on an incline (dumbbell chest press and military press) and then do two different exercises on a level plane (dumbbell press again and dumbbell flyes)

If you do too many isolated exercises in one workout session you're essentially building up endurance. You won't see a lot of progress for a while. That's why you want to keep it low on the reps and exercises and go really heavy on the weights. Start out low if you have to so that you can build correct form and won't hurt yourself. Give it a couple of months to see big time gains.
chosen_one6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #1179
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
Yep. Left pec is bigger and stronger.

Physio has me doing scapula push ups (push up pluses), since apparently my serratus isn't firing or working properly.
Case of winged scapula apparently.
Sorry for late reply, my left Pec is also bigger and stronger than my right, and the right side of my back was bigger on the right side.

Leaving more forward pressure because of the bigger pec and lacking back muscle on my left side. Put alot more effort on form and strengthening the left side of my back and all issues I had went away.

Also heard from a lot of sources that a lot of non-form related shoulder issues can be corrected by putting more effort into strengthening the back. Especially considering most seem to have a tendency to put more effort into working visible muscles like the pecs, even though the body benefits a lot more from back muscles.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #1180
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
Drop the volume and amount of excercises your doing. If your hitting your chest with much more volume, then it's also getting less recovery and growth time than the other muscles.

I'd say just stick to DB for a while as a lot of people find that is superior to BB for best results. Also, you only really need to do maybe a press (more on selection in a sec), dips and a choice of flye if your going to get the most out of your chest growth.

Don't know the sets/reps/frequency of your chest training, but let's say for arguments sake your doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

My recommendation:
2-3 sets of 6-10 reps of Incline DB Press, Cable Crossovers & Dips is 9 sets max.

Your current:
5 excercises of 3 sets is 15 sets for chest, that's an extra 40% volume which you will need to recover from.

Remember the goal of weights in the whole process of building muscle is simply to stimulate the muscle, not destroy it. Extra sets past what I've recommended at your stage of development (since you said you have no inner upper chest muscle, ill assume your in the beginner/early intermediate stage) is just cutting directly into the well needed time for recovery and growth.

I've suggested you only do incline DB Press as your lacking in that area, the excercise still hits the rest of the muscle enough to ensure it will keep growing. Besides, dips also hit the lower pecs enough. I chose cable crossovers (if you have the equipment, if not just do DB Incline flye) because most find it easier to feel the chest through it, it's designed to work the inner pecs and the cable pulley means you'll be fighting against the resistence evenly through the whole rep.

Couple of other tips:
- Make sure your using the best possible form

- Give it time, if you are going up in weights every couple of weeks, your improving (some people get stronger for months with no noticeable size increase, then all of a sudden within a week or so their pecs are noticably bigger)

- Use a good range of motion, but if it feels like the tension is going onto your shoulders at the very bottom of the rep, don't go down that far. The goal is to stimulate your pecs, so do that.

- Likewise, many trainers have found stopping 80% of the way up keeps the tension on the pecs as locking out stresses the triceps

- My favourite pose your chest in between sets and for warmup, this gets the blood moving to the area and helps the mind muscle connection. Do a side chest pose with each pec, and place a finger on the area you want to work while posing

- Obvious but make sure your eating in a surplus of 300-500cal a day, of good nutritious food, could eat more over but who wants to gain size if it's predominantly fat.

-Keep a workout log so you can see if your progressing month to month, but be patient. If your not getting stronger over a month, don't add in more sets/excersises, check your form/diet and add in MORE rest days, your muscles won't grow or strengthen if their not getting the neccessary recovery/fuel

- Make sure your working your back sufficiently, your Bent over row/one arm DB Row should be equal, or ideally stronger than the DB/BB press equivalent. Every muscle is linked and strengthening one will strenthen another.

Last tip, some have found (me included) that a chest flye before the pressing excercise (known as a pre-exhaustion technique) helps to build up your chest quicker. Reason being that it's generally the forearms, front shoulder and triceps that fatigue first during the pressing movements, leaving your chest not completely fatigued. This may mean you can't press quite as much as you would have had you done pressing as the first excercise, but your pecs will recieve greater stimulation overall as they will exhaust and fatigue before your supporting muscles for once.

Sorry for the novel and repeating anything you already know, just hoping to help a bro out. Feel free to copy n paste this and save it or keep referring back to it. Lot of information to take in at once.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1181
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

^ thanks for the info man although i know most of that stuff.. i do 8-10 reps right now so ill try going heavier and do 6-8 reps and see where that gets me..
but its still shit chest genetics.. my brother actually has hollowed chest so i guess i should be lucky with what i got
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1182
PullupJay
Focus

What's your schedule like fellas?

Train Every other day?
Train 4-5 days in a row then rest?
Train every day as long you don't train the same body part and have one rest day a week?
Each muscle once a week? Twice a week? Thrice a week?
How often do you rest?
How often do you take a deload week?
What do you do on rest days?
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #1183
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Anyone get any fitness related stuff for Christmas? Got some gift cards, threw in some of my own money and came out with a 10mm Inzer forever lever belt.

Got some dumbells (two 20 pound and two 50 pounders), some GNC/***** gift cards, some Under Armour clothes and a Nutribullet. Decent little fitness haul

Edit: wow ISH... That's supposed to be D!cks as in D!cks Sporting Goods

Last edited by B-Low : 12-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1184
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Got some dumbells (two 20 pound and two 50 pounders), some GNC/***** gift cards, some Under Armour clothes and a Nutribullet. Decent little fitness haul

Edit: wow ISH... That's supposed to be D!cks as in D!cks Sporting Goods
What are you gonna do with the 50 pounders? Sell them?

What brand? I'm sure you could make some decent cash on Ebay for them.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1185
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Damn, I forgot to greet this thread a Merry Christmas.

Anyone still on that last rush of the year? I hit my 315 Deadlift goal last week (definitely looking to get that way up next year and my original goal was 365, but anyway) and I got up to a 140 pound overhead press last Tuesday. Pull-ups are feeling much easier too and I'm gonna try to test my rep max on the 31st (last training session of the year. Imma make it count). How about you guys?

And lolz, B-Low. Not the first time I've seen someone do that here.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: