Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #1246
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ4eVbX9klc

Can anyone summarize for me? 5 Tips for a better squat.

Google "BTBAM" how to squat. Best resource I found yet

Chosen one said it right but to CLARIFY picture the entire curve of your lower spine as a study bridge that you must protect at all costs. Do not buttwink, even when you get to it just stop and rise.

1) Do Joe Defrancos 8 hip mobility drills. The tight spots are usually hammies, it band, thor extensors, and the low position. . You must activate the glutes and abs.
2) Remember it's a PUSHING OUT TO THE SIDE exercise just as much as it is a descend. IMAGINE PUSHING YOUR KNEES OUT while descending.
3) Flex Glutes and KEEP CHEST UP THROUGHOUT, engage lats to sturdify the bar and keep it on the most comfy position on trabs.
4) Bar is on heels.
5) When you breathe in, breathe in massive amounts of air keep tense, chubby cheek and push your ABS BACK AS FAR AS THEY CAN LIKE YOU're BRACING FOR A PUNCH. Make that spine a fortress!
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #1247
sunsfan1357
Word.

Last week I started to get some excruciating pain in my right elbow from squatting, think my wrists were supporting the weight and it put a lot of stress on my elbow. Invested in some elbow sleeves and a voodoo floss band, but I'm going to take the week off from any squatting hoping it helps.

Also won a football pool yesterday, $120. Not sure if I want to get the Adidas Power Perfect 2.0 shoes or the new Mark Bell Reebok Crossfits.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #1248
plowking
Verticle?

JEFFERSON, I'm glad you brought up hip flexibility and Joe DeFranco's routine...

Once again, I'm having problems with my piriformis muscle and hip flexors... Whenever I wake up in the morning, I have terrible movement bending forward at the hip, trying to pick something up, even putting on shorts/pants, etc... Its worst in the morning, but obviously it gets better throughout the day... Still... After lying or sitting for a decent amount of time, or even doing yard work at home, bending over, etc, it gets worse again.

I've removed deadlifts from my program for the time being, though I haven't exactly been rolling the area as much as I should. I kind of just do 2 minutes of stretching when I really feel it tighten up. I'm guessing my excessive deadlifting, along with heavy deadlifting, combined with school work, and constantly being at a desk studying is what caused this over time...

Is this something I should constantly be doing stretches/mobility exercises for? I'm trying to go about strengthening the opposite muscles, so it can get rid of the issue, hence getting rid of deadlifts, since I don't need my lower back being any stronger. Trying to activate the glutes with deep, lightweight squats, lunges and glute work.

My questions is, are the hip abductors or adductors the ones I want to be working on?
Also, the mobility exercises... would they be useful first thing in the morning?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #1249
alenleomessi
W

this morning
http://oi59.tinypic.com/rlmc1c.jpg
yeah im getting pretty big
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #1250
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Google "BTBAM" how to squat. Best resource I found yet

Chosen one said it right but to CLARIFY picture the entire curve of your lower spine as a study bridge that you must protect at all costs. Do not buttwink, even when you get to it just stop and rise.

1) Do Joe Defrancos 8 hip mobility drills. The tight spots are usually hammies, it band, thor extensors, and the low position. . You must activate the glutes and abs.
2) Remember it's a PUSHING OUT TO THE SIDE exercise just as much as it is a descend. IMAGINE PUSHING YOUR KNEES OUT while descending.
3) Flex Glutes and KEEP CHEST UP THROUGHOUT, engage lats to sturdify the bar and keep it on the most comfy position on trabs.
4) Bar is on heels.
5) When you breathe in, breathe in massive amounts of air keep tense, chubby cheek and push your ABS BACK AS FAR AS THEY CAN LIKE YOU're BRACING FOR A PUNCH. Make that spine a fortress!

Thanks for the tips dude but that was more of a joke post because of how hot the chick was in the video.

Definitely need to check out my mobility drills. I found some nice pre squat tips from Kelly Starrett. **** it's so crucial to stretch out those hip flexors and glutes. I remember when I first started squatting and I would look up videos and people would say, "push your knees out, push your knees out." Unfortunately for noobs like myself, I thought that meant pushing your knees out forward. So it's good that you're not vague and say, "pushing out to the side."

It sucks how you get working out pretty good then go to work in the field and kills your gains. I'm up in weight though which is good. 160 lbs and 5'8"=I'm no longer skinny. But I aint big either. If I can get to 170 at year's end I'll be tits.

Consistency will pay off for me in the end even if I have to take some breaks in between due to work. Such is life.

Stronglifts5x5 has saved me.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #1251
plowking
Verticle?

I've found a slight solution to opening up my hips, and it involves the Asian squat, or third world squat as its also called.

Simply getting down into that position 3 or so times a day for a minute at a time has really helped in terms of tightness and mobility in the hips. Don't have anywhere near as much problems in the morning, although it is still there.

Anyone else have the issue of what appears to be a tight/sore lower back in the morning, along with tight hip flexors? I've been stretching the area like crazy, and its starting to get some relief. Anyone else have any particular things that helped them, and eventually something for the long term?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #1252
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star

Of all the bodybuilders I've read up on I'm going to go ahead and dub

BEN PAKULSKI as the ONE GUY EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #1253
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi

"I do body weight exercises. Are you white? Yes. You must do Yoga."

"I do body weight exercises. You must be black. No, you're not black are you white. Yes you are black do you lift in a park. All right bro I didn't mean anything by it."
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #1254
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Been doing german volume training for the last 2 weeks or so....holy ****

10 sets of 10(same weight throughout) for all compound lifts. Burn like I've never felt before, hopefully put on some more size with this.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1255
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
JEFFERSON, I'm glad you brought up hip flexibility and Joe DeFranco's routine...

Once again, I'm having problems with my piriformis muscle and hip flexors... Whenever I wake up in the morning, I have terrible movement bending forward at the hip, trying to pick something up, even putting on shorts/pants, etc... Its worst in the morning, but obviously it gets better throughout the day... Still... After lying or sitting for a decent amount of time, or even doing yard work at home, bending over, etc, it gets worse again.

I've removed deadlifts from my program for the time being, though I haven't exactly been rolling the area as much as I should. I kind of just do 2 minutes of stretching when I really feel it tighten up. I'm guessing my excessive deadlifting, along with heavy deadlifting, combined with school work, and constantly being at a desk studying is what caused this over time...

Is this something I should constantly be doing stretches/mobility exercises for? I'm trying to go about strengthening the opposite muscles, so it can get rid of the issue, hence getting rid of deadlifts, since I don't need my lower back being any stronger. Trying to activate the glutes with deep, lightweight squats, lunges and glute work.

My questions is, are the hip abductors or adductors the ones I want to be working on?
Also, the mobility exercises... would they be useful first thing in the morning?

If you liked Joe Defranco's mobility drills then try this....Limber 11. Basically just a more thorough version of his Agile 8. That glute roller...****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #1256
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiens
Been doing german volume training for the last 2 weeks or so....holy ****

10 sets of 10(same weight throughout) for all compound lifts. Burn like I've never felt before, hopefully put on some more size with this.

I did that a little more than a year ago, your chest will explode from doing it, I have all sorts of striations in mine now because of GVT.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #1257
sunsfan1357
Word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPzTQTEmvA

Hit 385 X 4 on squats today to a depth where I feel comfortable calling it a PR. I started to record my lifts in the past few weeks and realized my depth in training wasn't where it should have been which is why I wasn't able to hit what I wanted to in my meet last December.

I'm getting really frustrated with my bench. By far my weakest lift, whenever I get to about 240ish for reps I hit a wall and can't really climb above it. I'm going to start adding in some more direct tricep work and three second paused benches to see if it helps me out.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #1258
Trentknicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I've found a slight solution to opening up my hips, and it involves the Asian squat, or third world squat as its also called.

Simply getting down into that position 3 or so times a day for a minute at a time has really helped in terms of tightness and mobility in the hips. Don't have anywhere near as much problems in the morning, although it is still there.

Anyone else have the issue of what appears to be a tight/sore lower back in the morning, along with tight hip flexors? I've been stretching the area like crazy, and its starting to get some relief. Anyone else have any particular things that helped them, and eventually something for the long term?
Do you use several or one big pillow? I used to use a set up like that and my physio told me doing that puts your back in an overly elevated position and your back/hips can tense up for the duration of your sleep.

I think by design we are meant to sleep on our backs without a pillow but that's pretty damn hard. Might not be your problem but just a suggestion, I've dropped down to one really small pillow and found it helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Of all the bodybuilders I've read up on I'm going to go ahead and dub

BEN PAKULSKI as the ONE GUY EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO.
Seconded! This guy is a genius, check out his youtube channel for great, scientific backed advice.

Also this is a link to a one hour seminar by B-Pak, a lot of good information in here.

http://www.hypertrophymax.com/live-large-seminar.php

Anotherbrilliant article.
http://shawnthebuffer.wordpress.com/...-ben-pakulski/

Last edited by Trentknicks : 02-11-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #1259
sunsfan1357
Word.

So I've been trying to cut some weight from about 220 to around 210ish

Been tracking my cals, even bought a scale to measure the shit out so I can count more accurately what I'm taking in, log it in myfitnesspal to count for me. Tells me I'm taking in 1800 a day which for a guy my size I should be losing pounds pretty easily.

Nope. Haven't lost a single pound. The past two or three weeks I've maintained at 220-223. This is with moving around a decent amount at work and training. Shit at 1800 cals I should be able to sit on my ass all day and lose pounds. Even put my foods in a different tracking source and the numbers stay the same.

Anyone have any idea on where I can be going wrong?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #1260
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Are you sure you are tracking absolutely everything? People quickly overlook some oil here, some oil there. When I started tracking I ate 2-3 meals of vegetables per day and I usually poured some olive oil on top of it. I said that's nothing, just a few drops here and there so i didn't track it and I was going nowhere with my definition. Then I weighed how much oil I poured into my salad and it was around 15-20grams of oil per meal(I ate huge bowls of salad).

Just to get a better picture of what I'm saying:

1gram of fat = 9kcal

20g of oil X 9kcal = 180kcal

180kcal X 3meals = 540 kcal

As you can see I was eating around 500 calories more than I thought which is usually more than enough of a difference between maintaining weight or being in a deficit.

Last edited by LBJ 23 : 02-14-2014 at 06:36 PM.
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: