Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #1246
Trentknicks
Banned

Trentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger
Any advice for increasing my deadlift? My 1 rep is 125kilos or 275lbs but I can't get anything heavier up.
Do the first couple of sets off a block like 6 inches tall (also called deficit deadlifts). Then do your max rep off the floor like normal, after using an increased range of motion on the first couple of reps/sets it will feel much easier doing it from the floor, worked for me.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #1247
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

ThickassGlasses has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Any advice for increasing my deadlift? My 1 rep is 125kilos or 275lbs but I can't get anything heavier up.

Where do you lose the lift?

Outside of that, you don't have to do anything fancy. Do a reset, start your program over with your max at 265, go through the whole program, try again. If your missing the lift still, then as harsh as it may sound, you're either not following the program you are on very well or your self program is awful and you should get on a real one.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #1248
ThickassGlasses
I hit open 5-footers

ThickassGlasses has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
How long do you guys rest between sets?...I'm asking this cause I've seen an array of different answers to what is the best rest time between sets. (from 25 seconds to 5 minutes)

This is how I've been doing it.

"light (secondary muscles) 1 minute rests (bi,tri's, calves, traps, even some of my shoulder exercises).

Medium 2 minute rests ( Incline/flat bench, rows, pull ups, chin ups, shoulder press)

Heavy 3-5 minute rests (squats, dead-lift's)

Lift depending.

Olympic lifts about 3 minutes.

Heavy singles/doubles/triples 1-2 minutes.

Accessory or hypertrophy work less than 1 minutes.

Obviously, if I feel that I need an extra minute before another max lift I'll take it, but that's a general guideline that I use for myself or my clients.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #1249
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Eat more you may not be getting enough protein/food to promote muscle growth, all my best lifts happen when I'm bulking and heavier.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #1250
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Check these out. I've been looking for something to help me with my dumbbell pressing. Just getting those mofo's up is a pain in the azz. Thinking of ordering these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpW4xSTpWp0

Here's the website - http://www.powerhooks.com/

From what I've read, the down side is they are a bit awkward at first and take a little getting use too.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #1251
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

If I saw someone taking up a squat rack so they can do some dumbbell pressing I would be very disappoint.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #1252
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
If I saw someone taking up a squat rack so they can do some dumbbell pressing I would be very disappoint.

At the gym - yes!. But not if you have your own home gym.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #1253
BrownEye007
Serious playground baller

BrownEye007 has an OK reputation so far

Just bought Insanity and should be receiving it in the next few days. I've heard mostly good reviews but what does ish think about it?
BrownEye007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #1254
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 is considered somewhat coolchosen_one6 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEye007
Just bought Insanity and should be receiving it in the next few days. I've heard mostly good reviews but what does ish think about it?

It's honestly not something that you couldn't do yourself without having to pay for all of that content. I think the biggest part of it is the nutrition guide that tells you what you can and can't eat. Nutrition is like the offensive line of working out. It makes up a lot of your results but the lifts/exercises are like the running backs that get all of the glory. I downloaded it specifically for the yoga routine and I thought that was pretty good.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #1255
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
It's honestly not something that you couldn't do yourself without having to pay for all of that content. I think the biggest part of it is the nutrition guide that tells you what you can and can't eat. Nutrition is like the offensive line of working out. It makes up a lot of your results but the lifts/exercises are like the running backs that get all of the glory. I downloaded it specifically for the yoga routine and I thought that was pretty good.

Yeah it's true you COULD do all of it yourself, but the thing I've found with the at-home programs is that it adds that structure/push that you might not get doing it on your own. Kinda like having a personal trainer.

I've never done Insanity but I'm a very loyal/satisfied Rushfit user, and like I said Rushfit is all moves that I could do on my own, but when you have the DVDs instructing you I think it helps a lot of people to have that non-stop, "gotta keep up" element to it. If I'm just working out on my own I might get distracted, take longer breaks than I should etc, but when you're keeping up with the pace of a DVD you almost feel like you gotta compete with it. It helps keep your motivation and intensity up IMO.

I know a lot of people that have done Insanity and liked it though. Keep us updated on how it goes for you BrownEye
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #1256
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Cutting down to 210lbs, expect almost all my lifts to drop 20-40lbs, but eh who cares. Will be in Brazil, Puerto Rico and possibly Taiwan this year so I plan on looking lean and ripped.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 AM   #1257
Trentknicks
Banned

Trentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected poster

Must watch short (3 min) inspirational/psyche up video for any weightlifters/gym goers on here.

It's a video of Ronnie Coleman's first power lifting meet, his enthusiasm and love of weights is so damn infectious. Pretty cool 207kg (455lb) lift by an old dude who legit looks like a cancer patient too.

Loved watching this before gym.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #1258
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Man I hate taking so many shits every day due to eating a lot.

Anyways, gonna be a rough week workout wise. Grocery stores close at 9pm here in Australia and didn't get a chance on Sunday to hit it up due to chillin at the beach at Gold Coast all day. So I'm missing my cottage cheese pre-bed snack. I hate eating that shit anyways so I think I'm cool with taking a week off from it. Gotta take a big gulp of water everytime I eat a scoop of it so it goes down without me puking.

Missed my work out last Friday because I was sick so doing four workouts this week. Bad workout today as well..dry cough from drinking coffee so had to rest. Oh well. Got it done. Race not a sprint.

I see a deload on overhead press in my future but I hear that's always the first plateau on stronglifts.
Balla_Status is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #1259
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentknicks
Must watch short (3 min) inspirational/psyche up video for any weightlifters/gym goers on here.

It's a video of Ronnie Coleman's first power lifting meet, his enthusiasm and love of weights is so damn infectious. Pretty cool 207kg (455lb) lift by an old dude who legit looks like a cancer patient too.

Loved watching this before gym.

link?
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #1260
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
link?

Click here

That was a scary looking dead, but damn can granpa lift that shit. Hoping to reach AT LEAST 405 by the end of the year and this was definitely a little bit of some extrinsic inspiration.

Anyway, right now I'm seeing the benefits of a deload. I always felt too excited to lift or move but because I'm getting caught up in my acads and council stuff, I haven't had a complete week of training since the last week of 2013. I'm looking a leaner and somewhat bigger though and my eating hasn't changed all that much. If anything, I've even been more permissive. One of those WTH Effects that Pavel and Dan John speak of, I guess.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: