Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #1426
plowking
Verticle?

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Highlight of today's meet, 530 lb deadlift. Bench is pathetic though I need to up the volume on that.

I'd recommend Smolov for upping your bench.

A lot of people say the gains aren't permanent and it fades after a while, but I found the opposite. Could be because I worked my way back up to a lift I could already do, but then again, I did the same lift at a lighter weight, so it is a net gain.

And you said your bench was in the mid 200's? You're a 200+lbs guy yourself right? You should see decent gains from it.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #1427
NZStreetBaller
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I need to get in and do lower body for the week... but my iPod broke and my smart phone broke and I am currently using an older style phone until I get my paycheck... Meaning that I have no tunes to listen to while I am there. This makes me not want to go at all. Do I take off from the gym until I get tunes or does ISH motivate me to go?

Dont excuses dude.....
NZStreetBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #1428
NZStreetBaller
Decent college freshman

Uggh i hate deadlifts just cant get the form right. no matter what im hurting lower back
NZStreetBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #1429
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I'd recommend Smolov for upping your bench.

A lot of people say the gains aren't permanent and it fades after a while, but I found the opposite. Could be because I worked my way back up to a lift I could already do, but then again, I did the same lift at a lighter weight, so it is a net gain.

And you said your bench was in the mid 200's? You're a 200+lbs guy yourself right? You should see decent gains from it.

Definitely going to look into smolov. Need to get in more paused work to. No reason why I shouldn't have close to 300 pound bench.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #1430
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Highlight of today's meet, 530 lb deadlift. Bench is pathetic though I need to up the volume on that.

That's awesome, dude. What weight class do you compete in? Got damn, this just makes me even more excited to get those plates. My 2x bodyweight deadlift might finally be achieved this year.

It was mine and my brother's birthday last weekend but he was out of the country so we only celebrated together tonight. After some overhead press ladders, weighted chin-ups and dips, and are supersets of chins and tiger bend push-ups, a buffet definitely hit the spot. Really optimistic about this next month of training.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #1431
riseagainst
LeGOAT

I just started to lift and eat again around late February after taking a few months off and losing 50 pounds from 240 to 190. Now i'm staying around 215. But i look bigger and more lean than before.

just started back on deadlifts a couple days ago. I want to get back to 545 x2 again. So it's time to do them every back day. Aiming for 605 x2 by Thanksgiving. Problem is, I can feel having problems with poking my butt back at starting position, it seems so awkward now than before when I was heavier. Weird.

Anyway, everything else seems to be going up in weight, even more than when i was 240, all except deadlift and squats. Having alot of problems with quad pain no matter how much i warm up.

My goal for this year is:
bench flat dumbbells for 140 x10, currently 125 x8
Barbell row: 405 x 8, currently 405x3
dumbbell row: 150 x20, currently 150x8
front squat: 315 x 10, currently 275x3
deadlift: 605 x2, currently 455x2

got a long ways to go for squats and deads.

my main goal is still bodybuilding.

Last edited by riseagainst : 06-10-2014 at 02:28 PM.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #1432
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat

That's awesome, dude. What weight class do you compete in? Got damn, this just makes me even more excited to get those plates. My 2x bodyweight deadlift might finally be achieved this year.

It was mine and my brother's birthday last weekend but he was out of the country so we only celebrated together tonight. After some overhead press ladders, weighted chin-ups and dips, and are supersets of chins and tiger bend push-ups, a buffet definitely hit the spot. Really optimistic about this next month of training.
I compete in the 220 class, I think I had more in me but I wanted to seal my qualification for nationals if I decide to lift there.

And happy late birthday!
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #1433
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
I just started to lift and eat again around late February after taking a few months off and losing 50 pounds from 240 to 190. Now i'm staying around 215. But i look bigger and more lean than before.

just started back on deadlifts a couple days ago. I want to get back to 545 x2 again. So it's time to do them every back day. Aiming for 605 x2 by Thanksgiving. Problem is, I can feel having problems with poking my butt back at starting position, it seems so awkward now than before when I was heavier. Weird.

Anyway, everything else seems to be going up in weight, even more than when i was 240, all except deadlift and squats. Having alot of problems with quad pain no matter how much i warm up.

front squat: 315 x 10, currently 275x3

got a long ways to go for squats and deads.

my main goal is still bodybuilding.

You just started to lift, and these are your stats? Or you have been lifting for a few years but only now just got back to it after a few months off?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #1434
riseagainst
LeGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
You just started to lift, and these are your stats? Or you have been lifting for a few years but only now just got back to it after a few months off?

i started to eat and lift again after taking a few months off. Been lifting before.

just hit 315 x2 yesterday on squats. Getting there.

Last edited by riseagainst : 06-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #1435
JohnnySic
green is good

So I attempted a 475 lb dead today; got it partially up before conking out; its the best I've done so progress I guess.

I did get 435 x 5 for a personal best so I was happy with that.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #1436
Cold soul
College star

I've been lifting working out since around November about 3-4 times a week. I think I overdue it though. The majority of the time I work out is about 3/4 hours and 10-12 different workouts each day depending on my routine. I try to do as many reps as possible as fast as I possibly can. I run 3 miles weekly on either a elliptical or treadmill. I currentley work out at anytime fitness the gym is super nice and it being open 24/7 helps a lot.

Squat: 255 x 36
Bench Press: 150 x 34
Deadlift 180 x 32

If anyone has any advise, I'll be more than happy to hear it. If I should do more weight less reps let me now. I personally prefer to be more physically cut and lean than big and bulky.

Last edited by Cold soul : 06-12-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Cold soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #1437
plowking
Verticle?

Just came back from the gym, decent session, tried working on my deadlift form since I've noticed my hips coming up slightly just before the lift.

Tried a 1 rep max on the pullup as well with a weight attached. Warmed up with 3 reps with 20kg. Did 1 rep of 30kg. 1 rep of 40kg. 1 rep of 50kg, although struggled. Then probably a half rep at 55kg.
Didn't think I could do that much, but was pretty happy with it. Had a few peeps mirin' when I started putting on more than 40kg, watching if I'd get it up.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #1438
riseagainst
LeGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
squat: 315 x 10, currently 275x3

sweet already hit 315x2 on squats. 8 more to go.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #1439
Cold soul
College star

So should I do more weight less reps. Any advise?
Cold soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #1440
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold soul
So should I do more weight less reps. Any advise?

Yes. 30+ reps... I can't see how that is beneficial.

Don't take it personally, but I thought it was a joke post. Unless you meant that is the total amount reps you do over a whole bunch of sets?

If you're doing 36 reps of 255lbs on Squats, try upping the weight and doing 20 reps. High reps for legs isn't bad, but nothing over 20 really. Also, make sure you're going a little past parallel on them.

Deadlifts? Go 3-8 reps. It's a compound movement and you want to move as much weight as possible.

Same with bench. Find a weight you can do for 5-8 reps.

Basically, 4 sets of 5-8 will benefit you for each of these movements, although with legs, you can keep it high.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: