Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
StateOfMind12
Banned

Default Better player right now - Josh Smith vs. Blake Griffin

As of right now, who do you guys think is the better player between these two?

Smith in the '11-'12 regular season - (35.3 mpg) 18.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.7 bpg, 1.4 spg, 2.5 topg, 45.8% fg, 63% ft, 49.9% TS, 47% eFG, 21.1 PER

Smith in the '11-'12 post-season - (39.2 mpg, 5 games) 16.8 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1 bpg, 0.6 spg, 3 topg, 38.6% fg, 76.2% ft, 43.2% TS, 38.6% eFG, 16.2 PER

Griffin in the '11-'12 regular season - (36.2 mpg) 20.7 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.7 bpg, 0.8 spg, 2.3 topg, 54.9% fg, 52.1% ft, 55.7% TS, 55% eFG, 23.4 PER

Griffin in the '11-'12 post-season - (35.7 mpg, 11 games) 19.1 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.9 bpg, 1.8 spg, 2.3 topg, 50% fg, 63.6% ft, 53.3% TS, 50% eFG, 21.1 PER
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
hawkfan
Banned

Default Re: Better player right now - Josh Smith vs. Blake Griffin

Overall, it is not even a question - Josh is.

Better defender, better rebounder, better low post player, better shooter.

Blake jumps better now, but Josh had to carry the team and play so many minutes, so he wasn't as fresh with his hops.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Clippersfan86
Banned

Griffin is more of a go to player and ranks higher on the best players list. Dude is a 2nd year player Josh is what.. a 9th year player? That being said... Josh Smith is no question less flawed and more well rounded. Griffin better player in general though, just more flawed and more specialized at this point.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

My co-grizzly legion (all 5 of them) would be mad but I'd go for Blake.

Josh just plays too much of an in-between game that he'd go for stretches where he's not effective. Blake's the same but the fouls he draw from flopping tip it to his favor.

Josh has all the skills, he's just hasn't put all of them to good consistent use. Blake, who could only jump high and act, does well with it.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Josh Smith. Just because Griffin has only been in the league 2 years, and his most recent season wasn't as good as Smith's recent season.

Griffin was 2nd Team All-NBA this season (should've been 3rd) but he was great and he is likely take a big jump next year. Regardless of what team he ends up on next season, I expect him to be awesome. With that said, Josh Smith is also a load of talent. He's been in the league 9 years but he came straight out of high school. Hopefully, he has more seasons like this.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Tough one. I definitely enjoy watching Blake's game more than Josh's. However, I know very well Smith can play both sides of the ball quite well. I'm not sure the same can be said for Blake Griffin. I might lean toward Smith for that reason.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
StateOfMind12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Tough one. I definitely enjoy watching Blake's game more than Josh's. However, I know very well Smith can play both sides of the ball quite well. I'm not sure the same can be said for Blake Griffin. I might lean toward Smith for that reason.
Good post... I think that Smith is one of the most rounded players in the league. He doesn't have much of a weakness in terms of abilities and skills because he can simply do it all. The biggest weakness of his game is probably the fact that he takes and settles for too many jumpers especially jumpers out of his range.

Another thing I am annoyed with Smith is how he is kind of like a tweener. I always wondered whether he was more of a PF or SF, it seemed like he was either both SF and PF or undecided. These types of players are like Ryan Gomes, Jeff Green, Antawn Jamison, etc. Those players honestly drive me nuts and I don't like any of them. I think in the past years though, Smith has shown that he is more of a PF than anything.

I think offensively Griffin is quite clearly better. Both Griffin and Smith are both really good passers but even then I still feel like Griffin is underrated in that department. Griffin is a tremendous passer and I even saw great passing from him last season as a rookie. Griffin has Smith beat in terms of pure scoring though because Smith never put up 20+ ppg like Griffin has this season and even in his rookie season last season.

I think it ends up being a matter of how much you value defense and rebounding.

Griffin put up great rebounding numbers last season as a rookie and in the regular season this season but he disappointed on the boards during the post-season this season as the numbers showed. Griffin only averaged 6.9 rpg in the post-season and that is absolutely unacceptable. Those numbers are numbers that I would expect PFs like Dirk and Amare to get, not Griffin, not someone who constantly grabbed 10+ rebounds a night during the regular season. So overall, Smith is a much better rebounder than Griffin is.

Griffin isn't much of a defender either while I think we all know that and Smith is an elite defensive player and one of the best defensive Forwards in the league and one of the best shot blockers in the league. Smith has beat Griffin by a lot on the defensive end.

It's kind of like the Dirk vs. KG comparison after thinking about it.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Josh Smith.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
disel
Good High School Starter

Dwight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>yao
disel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

I see many people here haven't watched Smith much. When he has the ball in his hands he is frequently the other teams 6th man. He can't shoot a lick but there are only 2 guys in the NBA who took more long 2s than Smith.

Last edited by tontoz : 05-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
I see many people here haven't watched Smith much. When he has the ball in his hands he is frequently the other teams 6th man. He can't shoot a lick but there are only 2 guys in the NBA who took more long 2s than Smith.

Yea they actually haven't watched Griffin enough. He's a MUCH better offensive player. You can actually feed him the ball and get buckets, which you can't do with Smith. What even makes Smith comparable is his defense.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by disel
Dwight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>yao
lmao rg you need some medical help, ranking on yourself with your alt account?

Josh by a mile btw. Better at everything, except shot selection. Griffin at least know his limitations, and is able to not force the issue and get much cleaner looks at the hoop. With that said, Griffin cant even dream of being the passer Josh is, he deals with double teams way better than Blake.

Fun contributing to your thread, now here is something you can fap to RG

Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade305
lmao rg you need some medical help, ranking on yourself with your alt account?

Josh by a mile btw. Better at everything, except shot selection. Griffin at least know his limitations, and is able to not force the issue and get much cleaner looks at the hoop. With that said, Griffin cant even dream of being the passer Josh is, he deals with double teams way better than Blake.

Fun contributing to your thread, now here is something you can fap to RG

Griffin averaged almost 4 assists last year to lead all bigs by a good margin and this year averaged 3. Not to mention he's superb when it comes to court vision for his position. On what planet is Josh Smith a better passer?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
IGotACoolStory
Mohamed Bamba

The problem with Smith is that he's a dumbass.

At least Blake shows some resemblance of a basketball IQ. He's not the next coming of Duncan or anything, but he generally shows some decent IQ and he's a lot younger.

Give Smith kind of a brain and he would be one of the better players in the NBA. He can't shoot for shit from 3, but he actually does make mid-range J's. Obviously he can get in the lane and finish, he's a very good creator off the dribble, good rebounder, and potential to be an all NBA defender.

Alas, he doesn't have one.

So give me Griffin right now, next year, and every year after that. For one game or their career.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Griffin averaged almost 4 assists last year to lead all bigs by a good margin and this year averaged 3. Not to mention he's superb when it comes to court vision for his position. On what planet is Josh Smith a better passer?
The planet of watching games with your on eyes. You mean to tell me Griffin is a better passer than someone who was practically playing Point forward(and did a superb job of setting up his teamates, despite lack of talent) this postseason because their PG was non existant?
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: