Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Upgrayedd
Local High School Star

Upgrayedd has a bad reputationUpgrayedd has a bad reputationUpgrayedd has a bad reputation
Default When did you start watching basketball?

I was just thinking with the "10 years ago today" thread about when I really got into the NBA. I was a huge Bulls fan in the '90s. I mean what kid from Chicago wasn't a Bulls fan in the '90s? But that was it. I was a Bulls fan and really nothing else. I mean I was a huge Bulls fan though. I had the Air Jordans, the jerseys, shirts. My entire wardrobe in middle school grade was Bulls clothes. Remember when collecting basketball cards was really popular?

Anyways, I wouldn't say I was a huge NBA fan though. I was mostly following just the Bulls. I stopped watching when Jordan retired in '98. I started watching the 2001/2002 season when Jordan came back. But it wasn't until the 2002 playoffs that I started watching on a regular basis. I wanted to see if the Lakers (mostly for Phil Jackson) could 3 peat. I was really back into it in the 2002/2003 season. The Bulls were still my #1 team. But I started watching and appreciating the entire sport. I wasn't just following the Bulls.

So I guess I was more of a hardcore Bulls/casual NBA fan in the '90s and a hardcore NBA fan around the 2002/2003 season.

When did you start watching?
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Celtics 1825
Good High School Starter

Celtics 1825 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: When did you start watching basketball?

It was 2006. I was really bored and there was nothing on TV so I was just flipping through the channels when I stumbled upon a Celtics game. Nothing that I saw on TV that day I found interesting, but when I stumbled upon this game I would think it would at least be better than anything else that was on at the time. And I got had to say I really enjoyed it and I was hooked instantly onto the sport. That year is also when I started to play basketball and watch it consistently. From the moment I watched Boston play I started to like them, and I followed them throughout the 06-07 season, and started to become a fan of them even though they weren't that good at the time. And of course when the Big 3 came together I became a hardcore fan and have been repping the Celtics since then.
Celtics 1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Big#50
College star

Big#50 has an OK reputation so far

During the 87 season. Was a kid. I remember 89 and on.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Peteballa
Go Gators

Peteballa is a pretty well-respected posterPeteballa is a pretty well-respected posterPeteballa is a pretty well-respected poster

I've been in a basketball family and have watched basketball since I was born, but the last season I can really remember very clearly and have been following was the 2002-2003 season, when we had Lamar and D-Wade for the first time and made the second round of the playoffs and almost upset the top-seeded Pacers (sort of funny looking back on it considering the series they just had).
Peteballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

since the 86 season.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool

during the the first lakers three peat. it was either the first title or the second, i can't remember.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
jalbert009
High School JV MVP

jalbert009 has decent reputation

Started watching in 96 as a casual watcher coz my Dad was a huge fan of Michael Jordan Bulls and It was the Father & Son bonding moments. I have been a casual fan up until the Boston Big 3 was formed in 2008 and I have been a huge fan of Kevin Garnett since the early 2000's which is why I started watching more since KG actually had a good team.
jalbert009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
rmt
National High School Star

rmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat cool

rmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In the late 80's. I was really young, but I always watched games with my dad and older brother, and as early as 3rd grade it was already my favorite sport to play (followed closely by Soccer). Then I had a growth spurt around 5th grade, and combined with the Jordan hype at the time, Basketball became my passion.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
midatlantic09
Local High School Star

midatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected postermidatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected postermidatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected poster

Around 1988-89.
midatlantic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

'80 most games were still on the radio only than though.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't think I really began watching and comprehending what was going on until around 1992. Prior to that, I'd be around Pistons games in passing but again, I don't think I was old enough to really understand or concentrate on what was occurring.

That said, I've been interested in basketball since the late 80's. Growing up in metro Detroit around that time, the Bad Boys were one step away from being super heroes. The Spider, the Worm, Zeke, Buddha, the Microwave? Everyone was easy to remember because of their nicknames and all the team cartoon shirts that would float around back then. Like these:

Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bulls/Lakers series in 1991 is the first series i can remember actually watching with my dad. Got hooked on it in about 93 after their 3rd title
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
boojitede
I hit open layups

boojitede has an OK reputation so far

91/92. Though I dont have many memories before 93 season.

Became a casual fan when mj retired the first time and watched a lot of orlando magic games. After mj retired in 98 I was casual again and became super hardcore and watched EVERYTHING starting in 02 like the OP.
boojitede is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: