Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #841
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,357
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
After anticipating the game for so long, I have traded GTA V towards Call of Duty Ghost. I finished the story mode, and the online just refuses to work for me. Can not even get passed opening race as recent as two days ago. Even if/when it gets fixed for everyone, why risk making a character that may be deleted someday at any time in a game that requires so much time to acquire skill, money, rank, etc? Such a disappointment for such a great franchise. Maybe they should have just waited and made this a next gen title, or just a single player experience.

1+ bro.
I'd rather them spend all those resources they utilized for online on the single player. Made this a 100+ hour experience with 200+ missions amongst all 3 protogonists.

That would have been amazing.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #842
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21,357
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
1+ bro.
I'd rather them spend all those resources they utilized for online on the single player. Made this a 100+ hour experience with 200+ missions amongst all 3 protogonists.

That would have been amazing.

Yeah, that way there could have been casinos, better side missions, and deeper story. Hell, maybe they could have even made it a two city game.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #843
CP3MVP
soon
 
CP3MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 228
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
Am I one of the only people who's never had any online problems?

I did for the first few days. No problems since.

I love GTAV Online. I'm only rank 22 but that's because I've sent hours just messing around in free mode. Stealing jets and attack choppers with other players, impromptu races, setting and claiming bounties, robbing stores. So much fun. I can't wait for heists.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #844
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,357
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3MVP
I did for the first few days. No problems since.

I love GTAV Online. I'm only rank 22 but that's because I've sent hours just messing around in free mode. Stealing jets and attack choppers with other players, impromptu races, setting and claiming bounties, robbing stores. So much fun. I can't wait for heists.

Blah, with full-time work and part-time night classes plus a 2 year old and family life; I just don't have the time to get involved with GTA online. I see no point in wasting 3-4 hours playing it when I know I won't get back online for at least a week. So in my spare time I'm just playing NBA 2K14 and Madden 25 plus progressing through suvival mode plus on TLoU.

I am so jealous that I don't get to experience GTA online, which is why I was hoping the story-mode would be epic because at least I'd be slowly progressing through it. Online is more about improving your stats, which takes a lot of time and dedication.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I played it for roughly 90 minutes 3 weeks ago and really liked it. BTW, I had no issues at all. I have a PS3. I finished the first race with lamar, and then was going through the tutorial. I didn't even finish the tutorial.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #845
The Real JW
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
The Real JW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 799
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Easy way to level up is racing Criminal Records. Do 3 laps. You and a buddy. Take turns overtaking one another (you'll gain XP) as well as winning races. I just went up from 30 to 40 in no time.

Does 3 laps give the optimal amount of RP? Have you tried 5?
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #846
CP3MVP
soon
 
CP3MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 228
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Blah, with full-time work and part-time night classes plus a 2 year old and family life; I just don't have the time to get involved with GTA online. I see no point in wasting 3-4 hours playing it when I know I won't get back online for at least a week. So in my spare time I'm just playing NBA 2K14 and Madden 25 plus progressing through suvival mode plus on TLoU.

I am so jealous that I don't get to experience GTA online, which is why I was hoping the story-mode would be epic because at least I'd be slowly progressing through it. Online is more about improving your stats, which takes a lot of time and dedication.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I played it for roughly 90 minutes 3 weeks ago and really liked it. BTW, I had no issues at all. I have a PS3. I finished the first race with lamar, and then was going through the tutorial. I didn't even finish the tutorial.

Well, you can still go at your own pace online. It's not like an MMORPG where you'll be left behind if you don't play for a while. Even if you only have 3 or 4 hours a week to get to play GTAVO, you'll always find missions, deathmatches and races to play. You might not be the highest rank right away, but if that doesn't matter to you then I don't see the problem.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #847
Shade8780
ross
 
Shade8780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,742
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

I still havent finished the story lol. Not gonna try online until then.
Shade8780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #848
Ai2death
Local High School Star
 
Ai2death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Overrated game, nothing more I can say really.
The story mode was AWESOME but far too short. For such a promising game with 3 protogonists, how on earth did Rockstar decide to make this game shorter than ALL previous instalments. It's no where near as memorable as San Andreas or even Vice City. Heck, the dialogue in GTA IV was better, IMO. The thing that really irks me is that I REALLY loved the story but was left with a sour taste in my mouth. No particular mission was even remotely difficult for me. For 5 years to develop a game, you'd think they'd have about 200 missions in total amongst the 3 playable characters. They really missed an opportunity here, and it's really disheartening. I waited for this game for 3 years +, and was anticipating that it'd be the best game I've ever played but it wasn't. Heck in June I played a game that was EASILY more memorable. I'm not talking about the overall package here, just the story mode. GTA V online is very ambitious and once (if) they get all the patches completed, I'm sure it'll be revolutionary.

I'll be pissed if GTA V beats out TLoU for game of the year, because it simply is NOT a better game. Yes, I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan but I'm just as big of a R* fan. RDR, SA, Max Payne 3, GTA V, GTA IV & Vice City would probably all make my top 25 list of all time. So I'm not being biased here. I just think this game was a let down and TLoU was not. I haven't even played GTA V in almost 3 weeks now; yet I've beaten TLoU over 8 times now and am currently playing it (alongside 2K14 & madden 25).

For that person that laughed at me giving GTA V a 95 yet calling it a disappointment; I don't realy understand your point here. Compared to my expectations, it was a let down. I had high hopes for this game and felt like it would be a perfect game, and it wasn't. I don't really have any problems with the story mode besides it being way too short and very easy. All the previous GTA games had those 3/4 missions that made your pull your hair, here? Not a single mission was overly difficult. Heck, jumping on that train with Trevor (I believe) on his bike was probably the only mission where I failed more than 4 times.

Honestly, I don't even think I'll ever even play the story mode again...perhaps I will just to utilize the stock market and make billions in profits. Other than that, I don't really know anything other elements that are intriguing to me. San Andreas and RDR I've beaten over 5 times each; so yeah I'd say both of them are better games, or at least more memorable.

Sigh.
My wife pre-ordered PS4 for me as an early Xmas present. I'm glad Watch Dogs isn't coming out till Spring, which made my choice much easier...I'm getting FIFA 14, Ghosts and Battlefield 4. I think I'll postpone the Batman game, and I'll get Madden & NBA next year since I already purchased them for PS3.


This. The Last of Us was an amazing experience.
GTA V was nice. But I felt a little empty after it.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #849
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,734
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real JW
Does 3 laps give the optimal amount of RP? Have you tried 5?

I dont know what it is with 3 laps but I've been getting 1 bar 1/2 each lap checkpoint (me and buddy). Ontop of the overtake XP and ending game XP. We also did it at a fast pace. Went full speed then one would let off the gas I'd pass them, they speed up I let off gas. But we were making good times.

We tried it with 2 laps, 4 laps, 5 laps and didnt see the same results. I cant explain why. I just know that I level up fast by replaying this over and over. I'm at a level 61 now. I was a 43 when I made that post.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #850
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,734
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
Am I one of the only people who's never had any online problems?

When did you start playing online, this week?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #851
The Real JW
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
The Real JW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 799
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Fuck, they patched the LSC reselling glitch. I should've saved up enough for a tank.
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #852
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,484
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Overrated game, nothing more I can say really.
The story mode was AWESOME but far too short. For such a promising game with 3 protogonists, how on earth did Rockstar decide to make this game shorter than ALL previous instalments. It's no where near as memorable as San Andreas or even Vice City. Heck, the dialogue in GTA IV was better, IMO. The thing that really irks me is that I REALLY loved the story but was left with a sour taste in my mouth. No particular mission was even remotely difficult for me. For 5 years to develop a game, you'd think they'd have about 200 missions in total amongst the 3 playable characters. They really missed an opportunity here, and it's really disheartening. I waited for this game for 3 years +, and was anticipating that it'd be the best game I've ever played but it wasn't. Heck in June I played a game that was EASILY more memorable. I'm not talking about the overall package here, just the story mode. GTA V online is very ambitious and once (if) they get all the patches completed, I'm sure it'll be revolutionary.

I'll be pissed if GTA V beats out TLoU for game of the year, because it simply is NOT a better game. Yes, I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan but I'm just as big of a R* fan. RDR, SA, Max Payne 3, GTA V, GTA IV & Vice City would probably all make my top 25 list of all time. So I'm not being biased here. I just think this game was a let down and TLoU was not. I haven't even played GTA V in almost 3 weeks now; yet I've beaten TLoU over 8 times now and am currently playing it (alongside 2K14 & madden 25).

For that person that laughed at me giving GTA V a 95 yet calling it a disappointment; I don't realy understand your point here. Compared to my expectations, it was a let down. I had high hopes for this game and felt like it would be a perfect game, and it wasn't. I don't really have any problems with the story mode besides it being way too short and very easy. All the previous GTA games had those 3/4 missions that made your pull your hair, here? Not a single mission was overly difficult. Heck, jumping on that train with Trevor (I believe) on his bike was probably the only mission where I failed more than 4 times.

Honestly, I don't even think I'll ever even play the story mode again...perhaps I will just to utilize the stock market and make billions in profits. Other than that, I don't really know anything other elements that are intriguing to me. San Andreas and RDR I've beaten over 5 times each; so yeah I'd say both of them are better games, or at least more memorable.

Sigh.
My wife pre-ordered PS4 for me as an early Xmas present. I'm glad Watch Dogs isn't coming out till Spring, which made my choice much easier...I'm getting FIFA 14, Ghosts and Battlefield 4. I think I'll postpone the Batman game, and I'll get Madden & NBA next year since I already purchased them for PS3.
Being lauded and predicted to be the best game ever is a tough precedent. All it takes to be overrated in this case is for a game not to be the best game ever in someone's opinion. That said, I feel where you're coming from in some of the aspects you mentioned.

It's hard for me to speak on the length of the storyline. I tend to approach Rockstar games (GTA, RDR) in a non-linear fashion (if that's the phrase for it). I rarely just go from mission to mission to mission because as you said, it seems to limit things a little bit. I think the world is the star in this case. I had put forth around 90 hours into this game (offline) by the time I completed the storyline. Experiencing the world and all its possibilities is what made this game what it was, in my opinion. I certainly did not buy it for the storyline.

I will say, oddly, one of the portions of the game I missed was the world being mostly locked at the start. There was something compelling and exciting in past GTA's (and RDR) about going hard in a single area (and becoming all too familiar with it) before being moved forth to a strange, new, and different land that you again are then able to learn, familiarize, and appreciate. Having the whole world open from the start was just slightly anticlimactic. I never really had an opportunity to establish a "home", like Grove Street or Armadillo.

I agree with the notion that most missions were relatively easy. But I say that as someone who was playing with semi-auto-lock on. It was still just challenging enough for me to create tension as to whether I'd actually be able to succeed. But as you said, in the end, I was usually able to complete a mission without much of an issue. I also think mission checkpoints tend to lessen overall difficulty. A lot of memorable missions in past GTA's stick in my head due to the frustration that came along with failing and having to start all over from the beginning (including driving back to the site).

All that said, again, I'm with you on the overall mission feel. I randomly stumbled upon Bioshock: Infinite earlier this year and was absolutely riveted and blown away by its storyline and progression. For however long it took to work through the storyline, I was absolutely locked in. I loved it all. However, the trade off was, once the storyline was completed, there wasn't much left to the game aside from picking up the overlooked voxophones. In contrast, GTA V's storyline seems like a big part of the game, but still just a piece of it. I didn't enjoy the storyline as much as Bioshock, but then I wasn't able to golf, wave race, run triathalons, solve a decades old murder case, rally race, hunt, surf the web, and customize my character almost entirely how I see fit in the former.

I understand the storyline-based emptiness. I enjoyed the storyline but I wasn't falling completely out of my seat at all times. That's just a piece of the pie for me though.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #853
MasterDurant24
National High School Star
 
MasterDurant24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,179
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
When did you start playing online, this week?
Like three days after it came out.
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #854
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,357
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Nice analysis Rake, the difference between me and you is our preferences it seems. I really enjoy a good storyline, and not so much the explorational elements. Hence, I am not a big RPG fan. So GTA V to you obviously brings far more value.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #855
MP.Trey
Band
 
MP.Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Lottery
Posts: 2,593
Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
Like three days after it came out.
I waited 2 days and haven't had any problems either. Level 48 and climbing. Trying to save up for a nice supercar.
MP.Trey is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy