Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Piano lovers (classic minimal)

or music lovers in general.

I started this track las night, and I'm undecided whether to leave it alone (as is) or add more to it and eventually turn it into a pseudo-hip hop track or something else?

Updated version of the original (now with more awesomeness!!!)

http://snd.sc/LFdiYe

Last edited by andgar923 : 05-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Piano lovers (classic minimal)

that tune leaves you waiting for a third chord...
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
that tune leaves you waiting for a third chord...
thanks for listening.

But I'm not sure if you enjoyed it or it was critique?

Peace
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
Milton
I airball my layups

Milton has not been impressing people

It's alright. It is hard to explain but it feels like it is close to being good it's just missing a little part that needs to be added in like the guy above said maybe.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
thanks for listening.

But I'm not sure if you enjoyed it or it was critique?

Peace

it's a decent start. Simple chord structures aren't necessarily bad if you have a good melody over it (even in minimal music); but at some point, something more needs to happen for it to be a real song and not an etude.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
it's a decent start. Simple chord structures aren't necessarily bad if you have a good melody over it (even in minimal music); but at some point, something more needs to happen for it to be a real song and not an etude.

Ahhh.... got you.

@MIlton... thanks for listening as well.

I'll try to adjust to both of your critiques. I knew something was missing but wanted to test the waters and preview it before it got finalized.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and critique guys.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far

This has a nice start imo.

Perhaps at some point introduce a melody? If you're opposed to doing that, some dynamics would be cool.

Minimalism is nice, but what makes it awesome is the creative and clever ways the composers add contrast to their songs.

Looking forward to heard version 2!
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio23
This has a nice start imo.

Perhaps at some point introduce a melody? If you're opposed to doing that, some dynamics would be cool.

Minimalism is nice, but what makes it awesome is the creative and clever ways the composers add contrast to their songs.

Looking forward to heard version 2!
thanks for listening.

After reading the critiques (all fair), I checked out some minimalist tracks to get a better understanding of the genre as a whole (I come from mainly hip hop background). Hopefully I've learned a few things to enhance/finish this track.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

You need a bridge or a hook/chorus breakdown.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
neilio23
I hit open layups

Quote:
thanks for listening.

After reading the critiques (all fair), I checked out some minimalist tracks to get a better understanding of the genre as a whole (I come from mainly hip hop background). Hopefully I've learned a few things to enhance/finish this track.

Just keep at it - and keep experimenting!
Take a listen to Phillip Glass. A master of minimalism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVe-2SDvuJU
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Just keep at it - and keep experimenting!
Take a listen to Phillip Glass. A master of minimalism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVe-2SDvuJU

Oh yeah.. I'm keen to his work. I think he's rather repetitive but can't argue with his melodies.

@ Kizzle.... I've thought about making this into a 'song' per se, but as of now it'll remain a short minimalist piece (do they have what you requested, cause I don't believe I heard them).

I'm working on it right now, and I did add more layers a crescendo of sorts, it sounds cinematic and etherel. I guess my biggest block is whether or not to change the main melody and segue into a slight variation.

Last edited by andgar923 : 05-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Here's the updated version. http://snd.sc/LFdiYe

I hope this is progress, I'll continue to tinker with this as needed per request.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
neilio23
I hit open layups

Quote:
Here's the updated version. http://snd.sc/LFdiYe

I hope this is progress, I'll continue to tinker with this as needed per request.

I like this a lot more! Already showing progress.
What are you using to make this? Fruity Loops?

The strings were a nice idea - I think the sound pack you're using sounds a bit robotic, but prob not much you can do about that.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
I like this a lot more! Already showing progress.
What are you using to make this? Fruity Loops?

The strings were a nice idea - I think the sound pack you're using sounds a bit robotic, but prob not much you can do about that.

Thanks

I'm using Reason 5 btw.

check out the thread I just made for music makers. Reason is showing off its new feature called 'rack extensions' which is basically their version of a VST.

In regards to the sounds, yeah... I wish I had better sounds, but I'll have to do.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

andgar923, are you with ASCAP or BMI?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: