Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
talkingconch
College superstar

Default Lakers Offseason

I think its a fair prediction that the lakers will not win 3 games in a row now considering how this season has gone. With that being said, what are possible/realistic scenarios the Lakers can do this offseason (trades/signings/amnesties).

We need shooters and guys off the bench...
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lakers Offseason

An interesting trade was discussed earlier. Gasol + Blake to Indiana for West + Collison. Lakers address toughness at the 4 and the 1. Indy gets star go to player and backup PG to replace their own backup PG with George Hill now starting and still have 14 mill in cap space for another star player.

Move Sessions to the bench where he seems to excel (and gets other guys like Barnes and McRoberts to excel with him). Use MLE on Beasley or Mayo.

Pick up Hill's option. Resign Barnes. Deal McRoberts, Morris, Eyenga, and Murphy if possible for serviceable player(s).

PG: Collison/Sessions
SG: Bryant/Ebanks/Goudelock
SF: MWP/Barnes
PF: West/Beasley
C: Bynum/Hill

or

PG: Collison/Sessions/Goudelock
SG: Bryant/Mayo/Ebanks
SF: MWP/Barnes
PF: West/Beasley
C: Bynum/Hill

Toughness lineup in the league from 1-10?
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
An interesting trade was discussed earlier. Gasol + Blake to Indiana for West + Collison.

Not sure I agree with trading Pau... His effort has been better than
Drew's for 80% of the playoffs so far...

Drew jogs up and down the court... He ran once in game 4, but for
a 24 year old, he plays old.... Drew stands there and watches rebounds,
I have yet to see him hustle for one that doesn't bounce his way...

I think we could get more for Bynum just because of his age...

magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan

Lakers need Bynum for his defensive presence in the paint and to get easy buckets down low, something Gasol never seems to do anymore with Bynum on the floor with him, he's been relagated to become a jumpshooting PF. So I say, why not trade Gasol for West (a jumpshooting PF), but a tougher one at that.

I'm actually reconsidering the trade idea now because of how well the smaller Collison would match up against Westbrook, both UCLA products. If I'm the Lakers, I might ask for Hill rather than Collison.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
talkingconch
College superstar

this is a tough situation. i really dont want to trade bynum, but with the way hes shown his maturity or lack thereof and his getting back on defense really bothers me. No way I give him up unless its for a really good package or Dwight Howard. He's just too big and causes havoc for opposing teams.

Gasol is one hell of a player and its sad he hasnt been able to get into the post this season as he used to. He's big, high IQ, just emotional challenges. but he's aging, so he would probably be first to go, considering it nearly happened at the beginning of the season.

if I was Lakers FO I would trade one of these bigs, most likely Gasol. Try and fill the 4 spot while getting a guy who can hit open 3's. The bench needs a do over.
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

After watching the Pacers game today, I'm changing my mind. When you (David West) allow Shane Battier to guard you for 48 minutes and only score 6pts against him, I don't care how tough you are, you're soft in my book. Gasol, soft as he is, would never let 38 year old 6'8 Battier guard him.

I'm really high on Collison now though, more so than before. He's definitely better than George Hill offensively and defensively and would hold his own against the likes of Cp3 and Westbrook.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

As I've noted about 6 times during this season until now. Lakers are in a position where they are not looking to add salary. Does that mean we will not see moves? No. On the contrary, we might see plenty of moves.

We might see Pau traded for a bag of chips. Bynum traded for Dwight maybe. You will see moves that help the lakers financially as they approach the 2014 season, where the CBA will be taken into full effect.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

Retaining Jordan Hill, is a must, we need to get more athletic at the wing positions or give Ebanks more of a run, other than that I'll be eager to see what Mitch can do.
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan

Have you noticed the drastic decline in Pau's game.....the numbers are brutal!!!!

Pau in the playoffs this year is averaging 12.4ppg 8.9rpg and only 2 free throw attempts. .442% shooting.
Compared to:

07/08 16.9ppg 9.3rpg and 5 free throw attempts. .530 shooting.

08/09 18.3ppg 10.8rpg and 6 free throw attempts. .580 shooting.

09/10 19.6ppg 11.1rpg and 7 free throw attempts. .539 shooting

Last year Pau was horrible by all accounts in the playoffs yet his numbers are lower this year.

There is no question that he's not getting it done.

Ask yourself.....would we be UP 3 games to 1 if Pau was scoring 6 more points per game with 2 more rebounds. Gotta single him out because he's getting paid a whopping 19 million a year.

I guarantee he'll be traded in the offseason.

Many other changes are needed as well.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
bladefd
Good college starter

We need a bench, man.. NO bench, PERIOD. Harden himself has outscored our entire bench multiple times. What kind of crap is that?

The only three players that contribute off our bench are Blake, Barnes and Hill. From those 3... Barnes has been very streaky - injured much of the season. Blake is on and off but does the best of the three. Hill is high energy guy that reminds me of Ronny Turiaf; good for energy outbursts but not somebody you can rely on game in and game out. That's it. Nobody else off the bench does anything.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Robster89
Serious playground baller

1. Gasol for Josh Smith (3rd team would need to be involved or another piece to Lakers. ATL needs to move Josh, and Gasol would be a great fit next to Horford. Lakers need youth, defense and athleticism.)

2. McRoberts/Blake/Cash/Pick for Ariza (we need a quick, athletic, young 3. Hornets want to move him, and this trade makes financial sense for them.)
Amnesty MWP.

3. If it became available, Bynum for Howard (J. Smith would help draw Dwight, and if it was not available, no big deal, stick with Drew, but DH plays D every night, and is better in transition, so would fit this team better.)

4. Resign Sessions, Barnes, and Hill.

5. Sign Kirk Hinrich with the mini MLE.

1. Sessions (age 26)
2. Kobe (still the man)
3. Ariza (age 26)
4. J Smith (age 26)
5. Howard or Bynum (age 26 or 24)

Bench:

Hinrich (can play the 1 or 2)
Barnes (can play the 2 or 3)
Hill (can play the 4 or 5)

Great D, awesome in transition, Kobe and Drew/Dwight when in the halfcourt. The new NBA.
We need to get younger and more athletic.
This gives us premium defenders at every position (except Sessions, but with Hinrich off the bench).
And this team would have about an 80 mil payroll, much lower than the current situation.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
1. Gasol for Josh Smith (3rd team would need to be involved or another piece to Lakers. ATL needs to move Josh, and Gasol would be a great fit next to Horford. Lakers need youth, defense and athleticism.)

2. McRoberts/Blake/Cash/Pick for Ariza (we need a quick, athletic, young 3. Hornets want to move him, and this trade makes financial sense for them.)
Amnesty MWP.

3. If it became available, Bynum for Howard (J. Smith would help draw Dwight, and if it was not available, no big deal, stick with Drew, but DH plays D every night, and is better in transition, so would fit this team better.)

4. Resign Sessions, Barnes, and Hill.

5. Sign Kirk Hinrich with the mini MLE.

1. Sessions (age 26)
2. Kobe (still the man)
3. Ariza (age 26)
4. J Smith (age 26)
5. Howard or Bynum (age 26 or 24)

Bench:

Hinrich (can play the 1 or 2)
Barnes (can play the 2 or 3)
Hill (can play the 4 or 5)

Great D, awesome in transition, Kobe and Drew/Dwight when in the halfcourt. The new NBA.
We need to get younger and more athletic.
This gives us premium defenders at every position (except Sessions, but with Hinrich off the bench).
And this team would have about an 80 mil payroll, much lower than the current situation.

why not Gasol/ebanks for Josh Smith/Marvin Williams(Ariza type contract but upside)/1st rounder?

I would do that..maybe get hinrich can also be added to that deal

NOH is not going to take our crap of mcrib/blake and add salary with new owner

I would prefer to get beasley with mini mle...instead of hinrich

barnes can go....2 playoffs in a row ...he is injured and pathetic
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

We need a new head coach too.

We also need to recruit ring wraith - Deron Williams and Steve Nash (if possible) then get rid of Steve Blake/Session...

We cannot win championship with a weak bench. If Steve Nash willing to join our team, he will be like the Chauncy for us where you can put him on first or second unit.

Imagine that...Kobe, Deron William, DwightHoward (or Bynum), Steve Nash, MWP, Jordan Hill

Last edited by kobesabi : 05-21-2012 at 07:03 AM.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Robster89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
We need a new head coach too.

We also need to recruit ring wraith - Deron Williams and Steve Nash (if possible) then get rid of Steve Blake/Session...

We cannot win championship with a weak bench. If Steve Nash willing to join our team, he will be like the Chauncy for us where you can put him on first or second unit.

Imagine that...Kobe, Deron William, DwightHoward (or Bynum), Steve Nash, MWP, Jordan Hill

Aint that the truth!
Brown is a huge problem, unfortunately, I don't see Jim admitting his mistake.
We only have the mini MLE or vet mins to add FA's. No way Nash accepts 3 mil per year. He'll get much better offers.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Robster89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
why not Gasol/ebanks for Josh Smith/Marvin Williams(Ariza type contract but upside)/1st rounder?

I would do that..maybe get hinrich can also be added to that deal

NOH is not going to take our crap of mcrib/blake and add salary with new owner

I would prefer to get beasley with mini mle...instead of hinrich

barnes can go....2 playoffs in a row ...he is injured and pathetic

I like the J Smith MWilliams idea, and ATL wants to get rid of MWill badly. With Josh, they have to. He's in the final year of his deal and wants out. He has some power over where he goes in that he can refuse to sign an extention unless he ends up with a preferred destination (sound familiar?).

As far as Ariza, it's a numbers game. He is owed 16 mil over the next 2 years. McBob abd Blake are owed 11 combined. Add 3 mil in cash to a struggling franchise, and a first rounder, and I think they do it in a heartbeat. McBob makes 3 mil in the final year of his deal, and he'd make their rotation. Blake could be bought out for further savings.
Ariza didn't even get off the bench for their final 10 games. The got Gordon and Aminu in the CP3 deal, and both are wings. They are going with a youth movement, so Ariza is on the outside looking in. With the financial savings, it makes sense to move him.

I don't think you get Beas with the MMLE.
I like Hinrich because he plays D (and Sessions does not).
Also, Hinrich can play the 1 or the 2.

Imagine the D we'd have:
Dwight- Best at his position
JSmith- Best at his position (defender, I mean)
Ariza- One of the best at his position
Kobe- Still a great defender at times.

Hinrich, Barnes (or Ebanks) and Hill, all excellent defenders off the bench.

This team would score at will in transition, be very difficult to score on, matchup with the athletic teams like Thunder, Clippers, Bulls, Heat (even the Spurs are way more athletic than our current roster).

And when you need to play slowdown halfcourt, you have Kobe, Dwight or Drew, JSmith who uses his athleticism to get his own shot, and good 3 point shooters like Ariza, Barnes, Sessions, Hinrich.

And, we'd be young with 4 starters 26 or younger.

I'd fill out the roster with Morris, GLok, Eyenga, a young 4 who can spread the floor, and a young 5 (we have 2 2nd rounders I think).
Let this 5 play together every day in practice against the first team, and develope roll players who may challenge for PT and perhaps contribute in the future.

But one thing is for certain, we need changes.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: