Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far
Default Ol' Marty

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Schottenheimer.

Not like the Chargers are screwing him over or anything. Hey, football's a business. But to give him a 1-year option?? Man, the dude has 200 career wins. Just feels wrong.

I'm not gonna pretend he's not a part of their playoff losses. He's made questionable decisions, like calling for the replay thus losing a timeout they'd go to desparately need. Or not running LDT more.

But thinking back at a lot of his playoff losses........he just seems snakebitten. Elways drive, hard to blame him. Byner's fumble? Ditto. Bono throwing red zone interceptions. Kaeding miss game-winning FG. 4th down pick that gets fumbled setting up tying drive. It seems his team is always in position to big games but for one reason or another don't break through.

Alot of it is just damn luck, bad luck. And I didn't like him with the Redskins. But in watching a career synopsis of him, seeing his press conferences, I'm growing to appreciate him. The guy is just one of those old-school no-nonsense throwbacks (literally) that genuinely loves his players. Never makes excuses for his team or himself when he loses (unlike a lot of coaches today). Has NO ego (also unlike a lot of coaches today *cough* Billick, Belicheck), and doesn't skirt the issue of his playoff failures when most coaches would fry the press for even bringing it up.

Watched this special on NFL Films and the question comes up: "Does it hurt knowing you have the stigma, You can't win the big one?" He looks, thinks about it for about 5 seconds, and answers honestly: (something like) "Yes. It eats me up inside. It's not for myself.....I can live with disappointment and accept responsibility. But I can't tell you how much it hurts seeing my guys after some of those games."

I think I'm gonna root for him next year. Guy's given his life to football and whether or not he makes all the right decision, he's a damn good coach who deserves to reach the show one time.

Last edited by dgbigballer9329 : 01-18-2007 at 03:57 AM.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

Crap, didn't see the other thread on him. Shoulda just put it in there.....oh well.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: