Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: A new trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
Trades are nice and could really help improve this team "that's what it's suppose to do" but if the coach/staff are so inconsisted how would any player help. Or would we bring in more talent and have a bad upcoming year then fire MB, would just be wasting KB time left on the court.

I personally don't like Josh Smith style, but Mitch needs to look at all avenue...Just wish he start with MB.

DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k-Monster23
We need to get younger not older with Scola we will be getting older. We need a player like Josh Smith because he will fit that system that Mike Brown has. We don't need to back to the basket kind of guys because it doesn't work they only get into each other way.

But Scola is not just a "back to the basket kind of the player". He has a pretty good 17 footer. It is true that Josh is more athletic, a much better shotblocker etc and their defense will be better but I just don't think he gets it interms of how bad a 3pt shooter he is. Some guys just need to realize that there are things that you shouldn't be doing and it's not like he is new to the league. Hawk's fans have pulled their hair watching Josh take those VERY LOW % jumpers esp in the playoffs where possesions are very valuable.
Scola on the other hand knows his limitations, you don't see him take shots beyond 20 feet and more importantly, he holds his ground, not being outmuscled inside etc. Yes he is old, but so is Kobe (relatively speaking) so is Manu, Duncan, Parker, KG and look at them right now.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
talkingconch
College superstar

talkingconch is considered somewhat cooltalkingconch is considered somewhat cool

hawks get robbed
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingconch
hawks get robbed

Exactly. These guys trying to build up Scola crack me up.
He's a nice player, but he's getting up there in age, and he has what is considered a bad contract. That's why Houston wants to move him.
Smoove>Scola. It's not even close due to age/contract.

Last edited by Robster89 : 06-02-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Exactly. These guys trying to build up Scola crack me up.
He's a nice player, but he's getting up there in age, and he has what is considered a bad contract. That's why Houston wants to move him.
Smoove>Scola. It6's not even close due to age/contract.

Scola's reaching mythical proportions. He's an average big man on a team with no other option than to make him a focal point of the team. As you mention there's a reason the Rockets have tried every trick in the book to move him the last two seasons and there's a reason why nobody has taken the bait. He's a ok player but nothing to get worked up over
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Scola's reaching mythical proportions. He's an average big man on a team with no other option than to make him a focal point of the team. As you mention there's a reason the Rockets have tried every trick in the book to move him the last two seasons and there's a reason why nobody has taken the bait. He's a ok player but nothing to get worked up over

Right!

I'm not ripping Scola, he's a good player and if the Lakers could get Scola/Lowery for Pau, I'd seriously consider it if there was no other direction to go. I'd bring Sessions back as my 3rd guard, which would significantly bolster the bench (one of our greatest weaknesses), and I'd try to bring back maybe LO. IMO adding Lowery (who can defend and score/facilitate), and having a 4 tandem of LO/Scola (who have different kinds of games), plus having a scorer off he bench like Sessions > Pau.

My point with JSmith is that he is exactly the type of "new NBA player type" that Magic Johnson spoke about. The league has changed, teams have gotton younger, faster, more athletic. The Lakers at time look like the senior citizens league out there. We are incredibly slow. That's why I like looking into Josh, and reaquiring Ariza, who I think could be had for a very reasonable price. Then we'd be amazingly quick, young, defensive minded and uber-athletic.

There is NO WAY ATL does a deal sending out Smoove and getting back Scola.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Right!

I'm not ripping Scola, he's a good player and if the Lakers could get Scola/Lowery for Pau, I'd seriously consider it if there was no other direction to go. I'd bring Sessions back as my 3rd guard, which would significantly bolster the bench (one of our greatest weaknesses), and I'd try to bring back maybe LO. IMO adding Lowery (who can defend and score/facilitate), and having a 4 tandem of LO/Scola (who have different kinds of games), plus having a scorer off he bench like Sessions > Pau.

My point with JSmith is that he is exactly the type of "new NBA player type" that Magic Johnson spoke about. The league has changed, teams have gotton younger, faster, more athletic. The Lakers at time look like the senior citizens league out there. We are incredibly slow. That's why I like looking into Josh, and reaquiring Ariza, who I think could be had for a very reasonable price. Then we'd be amazingly quick, young, defensive minded and uber-athletic.

There is NO WAY ATL does a deal sending out Smoove and getting back Scola.
Only problem I see with J Smith is the one year left on the contract. Once again Lakers enter that possible rental area. He's a good player and is going to be looking for his payday after next season and a possible 16 million dollar and growing long term contract. The Lakers at this time having no way to take on a player on any form of extension or sign and trade are back at the are you willing to gamble on his wanting to stay a Laker for less money or are the Lakers willing to take on another huge long term contract that takes away any ability to participate in chasing after valuable free agents in the years to come.

Which is all silly talk considering there's no way Atlanta takes on Scola for Josh Smith. The Hawks have 9 vacancies to fill and are over the cap. A player like Smith could net them actual talent worth keeping
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

How many of you guys would be satisfied with this 3-team trade?

Out: Gasol, Blake, 8.9 mill Dallas TPE
In: Lowry, Beasley (S&T) and Millicic (Expirer)

Mini MLE on Lamar Odom. Veteran's minimum on Matt Barnes. Veteran's minimum on Raja Bell or Kirk Hinrich.
Resign Jordan Hill, Ramon Sessions and Devin Ebanks.

Hire Brian Shaw as assistant to MB since the Lakers haven't shown indication of moving him, at least Shaw can help reinsert some of the triangle's benefits.

Lakers roster if it all goes down:
PG: Lowry (26)/Sessions (26)/Bell (35)
SG: Bryant (33)/Goudelock (23)/Barnes (32)
SF: MWP (32)/Ebanks (22)/Eyenga (22)
PF: Beasley (23)/Odom (32)/McRoberts (25)
C: Bynum (24)/Hill (24)/Millicic (26)

Coaching Staff: Brown/Shaw/etc

Average starting lineup age: 27.6
Average 2nd lineup age: 25.4
Average age of entire roster: 27

Last edited by BallsOut : 06-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #24
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Some guys here talk like Scola is 45 yrs old, Geez, he is 32.
There are 2 other legit concerns tho, esp 3 yrs left where he would be paid like 10.5 mil/yr and his relatively low rebs/game.
But the last 3 yrs, he averaged around 17 pts/game at a respectable 50% from the field. The guy is alse tough enough to hold his ground and play good defense inside.
A quick sample of the head to head duel
vs Pau, in 14 games, Scola averaged 17.5pts, 7 rebs at a good 60%FG.
11 games vs Boozer he averaged 16pts, 8.5 rebs at 52%FG
7 games vs Bosh, he averaged 15pts, 9.7 rebs at 52%FG
18 games vs Duncan, 15pts, 7.5 rebs at 50%Fg, Tim averaged 18pts at a low 45%,
So it's not like he lords it over bad players and he cowers and struggles with good ones. BTW, He is not the focal point of the offense, He has an ave of 13 shots/game.
Josh Smith has a career FG% of a LOW 46%, again bec of his STUBBORNESS of taking the low 3pt shot where he ave. 28%. 7 of his 8 years, he FAILED to hit atleast 50% from the field, 6 of 8 years he hit BELOW 48%
11 games vs Duncan, Josh hit a paltry 9pts, 6 rebs at 28%Fg

Going back to his 10.5 Mil/yr salary
Boozer is getting 15 mil/yr,
Duncan at 21.3
Pau at 19 mil
Bosh at around 19.5
Marc Gasol around 14 mil.
Pls also bear in mind that the suggestion is not a 1 on 1 trade with Pau but ANOTHER player like Lowry who fill up a great need.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 06-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
There are 2 other legit concerns tho, esp 3 yrs left where he would be paid like 10.5 mil/yr and his relatively low rebs/game.
But the last 3 yrs, he averaged around 17 pts/game at a respectable 50% from the field. The guy is alse tough enough to hold his ground and play good defense inside.
So it's not like he lords it over bad players and he cowers and struggles with good ones. BTW, He is not the focal point of the offense, He has an ave of 13 shots/game.
Josh Smith has a career FG% of a LOW 46%, again bec of his STUBBORNESS of taking the low 3pt shot where he ave. 28%. 7 of his 8 years, he FAILED to hit atleast 50% from the field, 6 of 8 years he hit BELOW 48%

Duncan at 21.3
Pau at 19 mil
Bosh at around 19.5
Pls also bear in mind that the suggestion is not a 1 on 1 trade with Pau but ANOTHER player like Lowry who fill up a great need.

See Tam......we can agree on something
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

Duncan at 21.3
Pau at 19 mil
Bosh at around 19.5

Why would they want a 32 year old at the 4 when they could have a 23 year old that puts up the same amount of points and rebounds when given the minutes? Not to mention the 23 year old would have a lot more flexible of a contract, not 3 years @ 10 mill each year.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Why would they want a 32 year old at the 4 when they could have a 23 year old that puts up the same amount of points and rebounds when given the minutes? Not to mention the 23 year old would have a lot more flexible of a contract, not 3 years @ 10 mill each year.

The 23 year old is erratic and cannot shoot at all........he also has maturity issues. I don't know if anyone outside of a proven veteran winning coach can deal with 2 immature guys. Scola plays hard and is a no-drama team player. Not bashing Smith, I do like the intangibles he offers.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
The 23 year old is erratic and cannot shoot at all........he also has maturity issues. I don't know if anyone outside of a proven veteran winning coach can deal with 2 immature guys. Scola plays hard and is a no-drama team player. Not bashing Smith, I do like the intangibles he offers.

I was referring to Michael Beasley, not Josh Smith. Let's be honest here, the Lakers aren't going to convince Atlanta to swap Josh Smith for 32 year old Scola and his ugly contract.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
How many of you guys would be satisfied with this 3-team trade?

Out: Gasol, Blake, 8.9 mill Dallas TPE
In: Lowry, Beasley (S&T) and Millicic (Expirer)

Mini MLE on Lamar Odom. Veteran's minimum on Matt Barnes. Veteran's minimum on Raja Bell or Kirk Hinrich.
Resign Jordan Hill, Ramon Sessions and Devin Ebanks.

Hire Brian Shaw as assistant to MB since the Lakers haven't shown indication of moving him, at least Shaw can help reinsert some of the triangle's benefits.

Lakers roster if it all goes down:
PG: Lowry (26)/Sessions (26)/Bell (35)
SG: Bryant (33)/Goudelock (23)/Barnes (32)
SF: MWP (32)/Ebanks (22)/Eyenga (22)
PF: Beasley (23)/Odom (32)/McRoberts (25)
C: Bynum (24)/Hill (24)/Millicic (26)

Coaching Staff: Brown/Shaw/etc

Average starting lineup age: 27.6
Average 2nd lineup age: 25.4
Average age of entire roster: 27

Hmmmm........BOBO mentioned something about a catch in the new CBA against doing a S&T as part of this deal. I'm way behind my reading on this but yeah, if it is possible I would love it.
I do not think Raja Bell has anything left to give us.....I could be wrong
Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Hmmmm........BOBO mentioned something about a catch in the new CBA against doing a S&T as part of this deal. I'm way behind my reading on this but yeah, if it is possible I would love it.
I do not think Raja Bell has anything left to give us.....I could be wrong

I'm not up to par on the S&T issue either. Could you read up on that and let us know if Beasley could be included in a S&T deal in the new CBA?

Raja Bell, along with his defensive reputation, has been a terrific 3pt shooter his entire career. If you look up his stats last season, he played about the same minutes as Blake and put up about the same amount of points on 40%+ shooting from 3pt range. I've seen some Jazz games last season, and his defense is still solid.

Basically he's a servicable backup if Lowry/Sessions goes down. I don't expect him to get much playing time, but he has good character that I think the young guys can learn from and will always give 100% in practice. I think the Lakers need to add a few veterans in that regard.

Saying all that, I wouldn't mind Kirk Hinrich over Bell either. Both guys are cut from the same cloth. Hinrich is a worse shooter but is 4 years younger though, so that may give him the edge.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: