Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #46
God of BasketBall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
I'm pretty sure the senior called them out for effort
and just not knowing what it takes to play on a college road game

yes, it is okay for him to not be able to dominate his 5th game as a freshman on the road against UF.
just don't praise about him so much then

Oden wasnt the only OSU player AT fault. Smarten up and watch the game. I pointed out players that went ape *****s on OSU and your counter is what? Who was guarding Brewer and Green because they ripped OSU heart out. Oden sat due to foul trouble as well. Whoever the senior was I'd like to know because maybe he could have did a better job defending Florida, been a leader to have them stop taking ill advised 3pt shots like this was double dribble.

Oden's 5th game in the backyard of the defending champs and this senior wants to diss on Oden and ignore himself and the rest of the team. Brilliant.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #47
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

you could be right
I didn't personally watch that game, I only watched the IU OSU game
in which he did a great job on Ds not so much on the offense

my point is I do think he will become one of the best player in NBA
but right now with all the hype that he gets
it shadows other players who deserve the credit
and he is practically untouchable if you want to make a case that he played bad
it's kinda like Kobe is always right for taking every single shot that he took

and why is he always in foul trouble, he was in foul trouble early on for the IU game too

but I guess Oden is going to be more untouchable then any other players in history
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #48
God of BasketBall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
you could be right
I didn't personally watch that game, I only watched the IU OSU game
in which he did a great job on Ds not so much on the offense

my point is I do think he will become one of the best player in NBA
but right now with all the hype that he gets
it shadows other players who deserve the credit
and he is practically untouchable if you want to make a case that he played bad
it's kinda like Kobe is always right for taking every single shot that he took

and why is he always in foul trouble, he was in foul trouble early on for the IU game too

but I guess Oden is going to be more untouchable then any other players in history

Only 3 games he was in foul trouble. And all 3 games teams werent punks/sissies and attacked him. Just keep attacking the fellas and trying to draw contact. It worked. And it wasnt the big men moreso the guards who drawed the critical fouls that sent him to the bench in games.

He does get a lot of hype. Sports media fault because they see a legit Center with skillz and as you know the one position in the league that is suffering is the Center spot. The sucky part about being overhyped is that expectations are incredibly high and at times unreasonable.

As far as playing bad Oden has his moments...not perfect by any means but his lack of scoring isnt because he lacks an offensive game. He's not getting touches and he is shooting with his offhand. Offensively he isnt the best Center or big man in the game by any means.

Oden should be getting atleast 12 shot attempts per game. We'll see come March how he progresses offensively.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #49
allball
National High School Star

Those who are dissing Oden just don't get it. Did you see Hakeem's first year in college or Ewing, Duncan or Mourning? They were very unpolished offensively (as most freshman centers are) and did not put up huge offensive numbers. They did most of their early work on defense and polished their offensive games later. Way too early to call him a bust with his hand in a cast and the way Ohio State runs their offense. You guys are overevaluating.

"After redshirting his freshman year in 1980-81, Olajuwon played sparingly as a redshirt freshman in 1981-82 and the Cougars were eliminated in the Final Four by the eventual NCAA champion North Carolina Tar Heels."
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #50
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Those who are dissing Oden just don't get it. Did you see Hakeem's first year in college or Ewing, Duncan or Mourning? They were very unpolished offensively (as most freshman centers are) and did not put up huge offensive numbers. They did most of their early work on defense and polished their offensive games later. Way too early to call him a bust with his hand in a cast and the way Ohio State runs their offense. You guys are overevaluating.

"After redshirting his freshman year in 1980-81, Olajuwon played sparingly as a redshirt freshman in 1981-82 and the Cougars were eliminated in the Final Four by the eventual NCAA champion North Carolina Tar Heels."
No one has called Oden a likely bust.

The comments have all been more or less along the lines of my original comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Oden will be good but people act like he's going to average 30 and 20 as a rookie...
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #51
allball
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
No one has called Oden a likely bust.

The comments have all been more or less along the lines of my original comment.

Sorry I meant just overrated. Lots of high school big men get this kind of hype and start slow in college. doesnt mean he's overrated. takes time.

Oh and as for Noah, I always think of Varejao when I watch him play for some reason.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: