Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
hipballinjigga
Berkshire is the Woods

hipballinjigga has decent reputation
Default OT: Bonds says Rose, McGwire belong in Hall of Fame

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2734799

ANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Barry Bonds thinks Mark McGwire and Pete Rose belong in the Hall of Fame.

The Baseball Writers' Association of America elected Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn to the Hall last week, but denied McGwire. The former slugger ranks seventh on the career list with 583 home runs, but his legacy was tarnished when he stonewalled Congress two years ago amid accusations of steroid use.

"I'm sure I'm going to break the record this year. But right now I'm just thinking about golf."
-- Barry Bonds on Hank Aaron's HR record.

"I congratulate Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn for their induction to the Hall of Fame because they were great ballplayers," Bonds said Wednesday in the Dominican Republic. "But I also think McGwire and Pete Rose should be in Cooperstown."

The 23.5 percent vote McGwire received represented the first referendum on how history will judge an age when bulked-up players came under suspicion of using performance-enhancing drugs. Baseball didn't ban steroids until after the 2002 season.

Hall of Fame voters might face a similar decision on Bonds, who is under investigation by a federal grand jury as to whether he perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the BALCO steroid distribution case that he hadn't knowingly taken any performance-enhancing drugs.

Rose, meanwhile, was given a lifetime ban from baseball in 1989 for betting on the sport, something he denied for years. The career hits leader with 4,256, Rose has never appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot but received four write-in votes this year.

Arriving in the Dominican Republic for the Juan Marichal Golf Classic, Bonds told reporters he expects to become baseball's career home run leader this season.

"I'm sure I'm going to break the record this year," said the San Francisco left fielder, who needs 22 homers to surpass Hank Aaron's mark of 755. "But right now I'm just thinking about golf."

Bonds declined to discuss ongoing negotiations with the Giants over his contract, or his reported positive test for amphetamines last year.

Bonds hit .270 with 26 home runs and 77 RBIs for San Francisco last season.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
hipballinjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Rose should be in.

CHARLIE HUSTLE.....

What he did was but he did alot more good for baseball if you ask me.
Plus I met the guy in Vegas a year ago and the man was humble as h3ll to my surprise. Had a couple of beers with him at Ceasers and talk sh*t about Bonds.

:)
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Everyone knows Rose is a scumbag it's also that Rose himself agreed to a lifetime ban.

McGwire will get in eventually. The committee will just "punish" him for a year or two first.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

ofcourse bonds is pushing for them to get in because if they get in, the committee cannot deny bonds either.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
McGwire will get in eventually. The committee will just "punish" him for a year or two first.
McGwire will not get in.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
God of BasketBall
Banned

God of BasketBall has not been impressing people

Wrong Spurs, Bonds is a LOCK for the HOF. He also mentioned other players that didnt make the HOF that should WAY BEFORE he mentioned Rose/Mark McGwire but i wouldnt expect the article to tell us that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
McGwire will not get in.

He will.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
McGwire will not get in.

And I bet you he will. One year there will be a weak class (like recently when Sutter got in) and the voters will realize you can't deny his big #'s steroids or no steroids. Raffy Palmeiro on the other hand will be the player who'll lose out completely.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

McGwire will get in next year. A writer here in DC who gets a vote says most of the guys he spoke to said they wouldn't vote for him this year but would probably do so next year. The writer said the general feeling he got was the one year wait was the going to be McGwire's "punishment".
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Next year is a fairly weak class as well. The only new player on the ballot that might warrant induction will be Tim Raines (I think). Maybe they'll finally put Bert Blyleven in like they should've already...
Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of BasketBall
Wrong Spurs, Bonds is a LOCK for the HOF. He also mentioned other players that didnt make the HOF that should WAY BEFORE he mentioned Rose/Mark McGwire but i wouldnt expect the article to tell us that.

i felt bonds was an eventual HOFer when he was with the pirates. there was alot of talk about keeping him out because of the steroids and having all of his records whiped out...i dont know what happened to that but i assumed he was not going to get in because of the steroids deal.

the reason why i thought he would be pushing for mcgwire/rose to get in is because of the steroids alligations against mcgwire and if mcqwire gets in then the committee wont be able to refuse bonds for the same alligations.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

of course they belong in the hof. baseball writers are a bunch of hypocrital morons.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

NASH = BEST has an OK reputation so far

I dont know what's the big deal about using steroids in baseball anyways, I mean its like wasnt everybody using steroids. If McGwire and Bonds were hitting alot of homeruns, it was coming off of pitchers that were on the roids also. It was only fair for McGwire and Bonds to be using them right? Who cares about the Hall of Fame anyways, so your statued head doesnt get put on display in a museum that nothing but old people visit The baseball Hall of Fame is a joke anyways, I mean isnt "The Great" Gary Carter in there If I was McGwire I would turn down that joke of a fraternity.
NASH = BEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Wuxia has decent reputation

Mgquire will get in eventually and Bonds is a virtual lock. Even if you discount Bond's last 7 years he still has about 500 home runs and 500 stolen bases. Those numbers are rdiculous.
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
God of BasketBall
Banned

God of BasketBall has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH = BEST
I dont know what's the big deal about using steroids in baseball anyways, I mean its like wasnt everybody using steroids. If McGwire and Bonds were hitting alot of homeruns, it was coming off of pitchers that were on the roids also. It was only fair for McGwire and Bonds to be using them right? Who cares about the Hall of Fame anyways, so your statued head doesnt get put on display in a museum that nothing but old people visit The baseball Hall of Fame is a joke anyways, I mean isnt "The Great" Gary Carter in there If I was McGwire I would turn down that joke of a fraternity.

Yeah all those pitchers they took YARD were on roids.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

who does bond think hes fooling? dude hates Mcguire and jealousy of him was what got bonds started on roids in the first place. hes just trying to pave the way for his own induction into the hall.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: