Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Watching the playoffs always gets me...

... Not just because my team isn't there, but because when I watch the teams that are there... they demonstrate the type of HEART and determination that hasn't been seen in Raptorland since early in the VC era. My concern isn't with whether we win or lose. Obviously, I want to see us win just like anyone else. But we aren't even like a first season OKC, or like those young scrappy Sixers teams that weren't making the playoffs. I see how much a team like Boston invests itself emotionally into this game and then I look at our leaders, Bargs, Calderon, Derozan, and it pretty much disgusts me. I don't know if i'd go as far as to say i'm done with this team as others have, but I have no emotional connection whatsoever and feel nothing when I watch our games. And there's no indication of that changing anytime soon.

/Rant
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation
Default Re: Watching the playoffs always gets me...

Yeah, Bokes it's kinda true, when you see the emotion go to a whole nother level in the playoffs. Guys like Keyon Dooling, Pietrus, Bass and then of course their stars, it's a whole different level for sure. The raps basically played meaningless games all year long, at least in terms of making the playoffs, they did play hard, but who has that edge and ability to get their guys going. Garnett is clearly it for boston.

I've been a big advocate for bringing in Jeremy lamb and just building another year with youth.
But.....

Starting
Calderon, lamb, derozen, bargs and Val......
Who's that passion going to come from and who will keep the other guys accountable.
Their bench would be solid with Bayless, James Johnson, Kleiza, Davis and Amir Johnson....... but who is the guy in that group that can really bring that intangible.
Calderon is a good leader, very professional, but lacks the real edge like a Chris Paul or KG, or Rondo. Westbrook even has a real edge to him.

Maybe we would be best served bringing in someone in a trade situation that has that intangible, someone that people will listen to and follow.

Who is that guy? It's certainly not lamb, who I like as a player. Maybe it's Val, I don't know, but it's not bargs or derozen or any of the bench guys.

Casey is that guy from the bench but it must be extended onto the court.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Exactly. See that's my whole thing. It's more than just playing hard. Your core guys have to be the guys who you draw your emotion and passion from. All good teams have THE guy or in some cases multiple guys who they draw that energy from. I guarantee you, you put guys like Derozan, Ed Davis, Amir, Kleiza, Bayless, on a team like Boston and we'd be looking at them like wtf? Why are they so much better and playing with so much more emotion all of a sudden? It's all dependent on what you have at your core.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

It's easy to be fired up when you're playing in the ECF instead of gunning for the first overall pick in the lottery. Just saying. I think you guys are being unfair.
Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

If you want to see how to be fired up while not playing for a winning team, watch some old KG Minnesota highlights and you'll see exactly what I mean.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation

Prodigy,
I don't think we're trying to be unfair, it just seems like individually, the raps are a collection of really good guys, good athletes, very young with lots of potential, but who are the true emotional leaders. I'd say probably Jose is, and I like him, but not as the emotional leader. There aren't a lot of guys that have that real ability to make people do what they need to do. Now imagine if you had garnett as your starting center, just hypothetically and that you got lucky enough to get him as a free-agent or you traded away amir, bayless and your 8th pick for him.
Imagine what a difference he'd make culturally with bargs and Val and ed davis. KG would rub off on those three and it would be contagious. I'm just trying to imagine Davis and bargs especially how they'd benefit from being around somebody like that, who would get in their face when they are not doing their job, or emotionally pumping them up for every game and practice.
Right now, if you had to say on the raps, who is going to be that guy. I'm not sure you could realistically say they have one. And that's a problem. The only guy I see is Casey, and that's a great start, but there needs to be someone on the floor who can do that, preferably 2 or 3.

Last edited by barkleynash : 06-06-2012 at 07:31 PM.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

^^ Precisely. Do you guys remember when Jermaine O'neal was on our team? Even in the very limited time he played with us he was that guy and he made a difference. It's none of their faults, we just don't have that personnel right now.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

We need Oak and AD back.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
... Not just because my team isn't there, but because when I watch the teams that are there... they demonstrate the type of HEART and determination that hasn't been seen in Raptorland since early in the VC era. My concern isn't with whether we win or lose. Obviously, I want to see us win just like anyone else. But we aren't even like a first season OKC, or like those young scrappy Sixers teams that weren't making the playoffs. I see how much a team like Boston invests itself emotionally into this game and then I look at our leaders, Bargs, Calderon, Derozan, and it pretty much disgusts me. I don't know if i'd go as far as to say i'm done with this team as others have, but I have no emotional connection whatsoever and feel nothing when I watch our games. And there's no indication of that changing anytime soon.

/Rant

Well said. Those raptor teams of the 2000s had a ton of grit. Our team lacks both an identity, and personnel. No street hunger.

Last edited by neilio23 : 06-07-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: typo
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Once we get a few more draft picks under our belt, we can start adding some veteran grit with our mid-levels and cheap signings. This team isn't at that point yet and we're still a few years away.

Adding a player like Lamb as well as Val coming over this year will put this team in the right direction.

Valanciunas/A. Johnson
Bargnani/Davis
Johnson/Kleiza
DeRozan/Lamb
Calderon/Bayless

That isn't a bad start although I really want the Raps to pickup another pick in the 10-15 range and take Kendall Marshall. We need another young, floor general type PG to take over for Jose. Then we can trade his expiring contract before the trade deadline for another young player to add to our core.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Once we get a few more draft picks under our belt, we can start adding some veteran grit with our mid-levels and cheap signings. This team isn't at that point yet and we're still a few years away.

Adding a player like Lamb as well as Val coming over this year will put this team in the right direction.

Valanciunas/A. Johnson
Bargnani/Davis
Johnson/Kleiza
DeRozan/Lamb
Calderon/Bayless

That isn't a bad start although I really want the Raps to pickup another pick in the 10-15 range and take Kendall Marshall. We need another young, floor general type PG to take over for Jose. Then we can trade his expiring contract before the trade deadline for another young player to add to our core.

If the raps were smart this is what they would do. Unfortunately it looks like they'd rather not acquire either Lamb or Marshall when they should be looking for both.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Yeah, we have a bunch of stiffs.

Calderon though does bring that sort of energy/grit/determination/vocal leadership, but he's just not good enough a player and has slowly had his heart drained out of him over the past 3 years.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

I'm glad some people get what i'm saying. It's definitely not just a matter of talent, or lack-thereof. If that was the only problem, i'd still have something to cheer for.

On a side note, I wanted Boston to take it in 6 so badly but my logic told me that they would probably lose it as always.. I guess I could live with a Miami/OKC final as it would be the more exciting of the 2, but at the same time I hate Miami so much and everything they stand for i'm still holding out hope for a Boston win.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: