Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Raptors Shopping 8th Overall Pick for Established Small Forward

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...etic-wing-man/

Rudy Gay or Andre Iguodala. If you had to choose, who would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Score
Earlier this week, Alex Kennedy of Hoops World wrote about how Rudy Gay might be on the trade market this off-season and that the Raptors would be one of the teams interested in the forward’s services.

Since Lottery night, we’ve heard rumblings about how the Raptors’ No. 8 pick could be in play in order to acquire an an already established player.

On Wednesday night, ESPN’s Marc Stein and Chad Ford wrote a more Raptors-specific story that intertwines the two, and then some.

The ESPN report states that “the Raptors have already made it known to rival teams that their lottery pick on June 28 — No. 8 overall — is available to a trade partner that can provide the elite small forward they seek, according to sources close to the situation. ”

The report also states that according to sources who told ESPN.com, Rudy Gay and Andre Iguodala are known trade targets for the Raptors.
Take a second to digest all of that.

Now, as I wrote on Monday in my Rudy Gay post, you can probably expect a lot more of these types of rumours and reports to include the Raptors over the next little while, as Bryan Colangelo and his team will likely leave no stone unturned in this intriguing and important off-season for Toronto. As always, even reports from extremely plugged in sources like Stein and Ford may turn out to be just that, reports, and nothing more.

Nonetheless, reputable names publishing these reports make them quite believable and are worthy of debates among fans.

For example, is either of Gay or Iguodala even worth giving up the No. 8 pick plus assets for (the report names Jose Calderon and Ed Davis as potential pieces to package with the pick)? Is either of Gay or Iguodala worth anywhere near what they’re going to be paid over the next few years? Lastly, who would you trade for if you had to pick between the two wing players?
For the record, Gay is owed a whopping $53 million plus over the next three seasons. He’ll turn 26-years-old in August.

Iguodala is owed roughly $14.7 million next season and has a $15.9 million player option for 2013-2014. He’ll turn 29 in January.

While I think Gay has the higher upside given that he’s two-and-a-half years younger and could still get a little better, if I had to pick, I’d take Iggy based on the fact that they are virtually identical players right now and Iguodala won’t be nearly as financially crippling if the deal ends up being a flop.

Last season, Gay’s Player Efficiency Rating was just 0.2 higher than Iguodala’s. Gay shot 0.1 per cent better from the field. Iguodala shot much better from three-point range. Neither player got to the free throw line as much as they should have. Their rebounding numbers per 36 minutes were identical (6.2) and Iguodala is probably the better passer and defender right now.
In terms of durability, both have been pretty dependent, with Iguodala having the edge. Iggy has played 82 games five times in his eight-year NBA career. He’s missed a total of just 25 games over those eight seasons. Gay has never played a full 82 games and has missed 39 regular season games over a six-year career.

Their production on the court might not differ much, and Gay probably still has a higher ceiling, but if the Raptors want to take a big swing this summer without totally hampering their recently created financial flexibility, a deal for Iguodala seems like the better decision, and I feel as though it wouldn’t take as much to get him either.
Having said that, there could be a plethora of trade targets available at the small forward position that we’re not yet aware of, and this debate would then get a whole lot more complicated.

As I’ve said about 383 times over the last month or so, this off-season is going to be interesting, to say the least.

By the way, the same ESPN report also reiterates Toronto’s plan to chase Steve Nash this summer and lists Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb and Damian Lillard as their potential draft targets should they keep the No. 8 pick.

We’ll have a lot more on potential Raptors draft targets over the next few weeks. Until then, a few more eyebrow raising reports will probably come out mentioning Toronto.
Cheers to off-season relevance…I think.

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raptors Shopping 8th Overall Pick for Established Small Forward

I'd prefer Gay, and I'd also be more than okay with the trade. I'm not a HUGE fan of trading lottery picks, but Gay is still relatively young and he's one of my favourite players. Plus, he's clutch as hell.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

If either of those players is your best player then you are in trouble. Problem is they both get paid "best player" money.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Gay ok. Iggy no thx.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Gay ok. Iggy no thx.
This. Speaking for myself here, yes Gay does have a huge contract but it's only for the next 3 seasons. He will likely with the new CBA never get another contract of that size, and you pair him with Val and suddenly this is a decent team with not many big contracts on the books and a lot of maneuvering room. BTW I didn't know Gay was only 26. Somehow it feels like he's been in the league a little longer than that.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
This. Speaking for myself here, yes Gay does have a huge contract but it's only for the next 3 seasons. He will likely with the new CBA never get another contract of that size, and you pair him with Val and suddenly this is a decent team with not many big contracts on the books and a lot of maneuvering room. BTW I didn't know Gay was only 26. Somehow it feels like he's been in the league a little longer than that.

Only as long as Bargnani...
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

This guy will have nightmares if gay is in a raptor uniform
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

I'm on the Gay yes please, Iggy no thanks bandwagon. The kid's overpayed, but he's young and in terms of what we're giving up, the team just doesn't seem to want to play Davis and I'm not convinced his ceiling is as high as Gay currently has reached anyway. The no. 8 pick is just gonna be a bust anyway. Having Gay, Val & Bargs out there could be decent. At the very least the team would be watchable unlike last season, and in 3 years when we need to try and get more help to contend like Bokes said, you can re-up Gay in still prime-form for less $$$.

Now granted if Calderon is in the package we have no pg to speak of and have just traded away all our best chips. Unless of course Nash signs, but that's just a stop-gap measure at best and we'd be too good a team to draft a stud pg going forward, so once he retired we'd still be kinda screwed there.

I guess I'm 50/50 on it now that I think about it if Calderon is in the package.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

It would make more sense to absorb gay's salary without trading Jose to Memphis. Why would they want him? Then if you make a play for Nash you can do sign and trade with phoenix for calderon. They would likely want him to help Brooks transition into starting PG.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

I'd go with Gay any day! ...wait that didn't sound right....
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

I don't know much about the Grizzlies, but it seems that Gay is not a leader in that team. Taking that contract is going back to Bosh's situation with even less chances of success.

Most Raptors fans are tired of multiple meaningless seasons. I'd be happy to try a long shot with Iguodala for 2 seasons, if we are not giving up key players.
Calderon/Derozan/Iguodala/Bargnani/Valanciunas
Just slight chances of accomplishing something relevant, but who knows... that team is compensated. If that doesn't work, full rebuilding after two season, with no BC.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
I don't know much about the Grizzlies, but it seems that Gay is not a leader in that team. Taking that contract is going back to Bosh's situation with even less chances of success.

Most Raptors fans are tired of multiple meaningless seasons. I'd be happy to try a long shot with Iguodala for 2 seasons, if we are not giving up key players.
Calderon/Derozan/Iguodala/Bargnani/Valanciunas
Just slight chances of accomplishing something relevant, but who knows... that team is compensated. If that doesn't work, full rebuilding after two season, with no BC.

I agree. Neither player is going to lead you anywhere relevant, but at least you aren't locked in to Iggy forever. His contract is tradable after one season.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We're never gonna get anywhere if we spend the next 10 years waiting for a miracle in the draft. This season we did an epic tank job with the lineups we were putting out there and all we have to show for it is an 8th pick. And before that we had a 5, 13 and 9th pick. I don't want to try and build a championship team by waiting 15 years to receive the next Kevin Durant. And with the guys we have on our roster now, no superstar FA is gonna want to come here to revive the franchise. You've gotta have good, all-star level players to attract others... That's how it works.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

I'm all for trading for gay, as long as we don't over pay. I know the play is to attract Nash, but I would much rather one of the Houston guards. So long as we get one of the three, I guess we'd have something to build on.
clipse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Memphis have no intention of trading Gay away, so does that leave only AI as an option for an "established star SF"? If so...

Source: http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/08/ru...ies-nba-trade/
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: