Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default NBA potential of Jared Sullinger

There are positives: Jared Sullinger has soft hands, a great feel for the game and an ability to power his way through taller defenders to find a way to score. Hes strong, smart, a throwback and mostly a winner.

But there are question marks, too: Sullinger isnt athletic enough, lacks explosiveness, is glued to the low post and is too small (6-foot-9) to play his style in the NBA.

So whats the truth about the big man from Ohio State?

Well, its likely somewhere in between, one NBA GM said. I think hes probably a little better in some areas than people give him credit for, and maybe not as good in some other areas. His physical skills are average, but he knows how to play in the low post in spite of it. So, make of that what you will.

-- Fox Sports Ohio
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: NBA potential of Jared Sullinger

I really like Sullinger in that mid lottery range. And the reason I do is because I feel like I know exactly what I'm going to get out of him. Sure his ceiling isn't great because he's forever going to be limited by being less than a great athlete, and a tiny bit undersized.
But he's also got some other assets that you're not going to have to gamble on. He's gonna catch it almost always. He's gonna go to war on the glass. He's gonna be reliable around the rim. And if he's got an advantage on the block, you're gonna be able to count on him to take advantage of it. And when he's double teamed he's a good passer.

He developed his jumper a bit this year, and I've seen really high end comps on him of Kevin Love. "If he can stretch his range to the three point line ... ". To me that seems really optimistic, but I get where it's coming from. Then there's some Tyler Hansborough comps because of his effort and ability to hit the mid range, but Sullinger is a much more refined post threat than Hansborough is even now.
If anyone remembers how good Chris Gatling was at his peak, that to me is sort of where Sullinger sits in my mind. He'd be a great bench big to run your offense through when you're normal go to's are resting because he'll create DTs against sub players.

I think there's a big philosophical question on how you view prospects based on wheather you take Sullinger or Perry Jones at say 7 in this draft if they're both available.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
kurple
Very good NBA starter

kurple is popular on this boardkurple is popular on this boardkurple is popular on this boardkurple is popular on this board

i'd love for the nuggets to move up for him
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrysenelcoolidge posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I think Sullinger is a smart player and I heard he has a good attitude/work ethic, so even with his limitations I could see him carving out a decent career for himself. No All star, but a solid player.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
He'd be a great bench big to run your offense through when you're normal go to's are resting because he'll create DTs against sub players.

This. I'd love for OKC to somehow get him. I know it won't happen, but he'd be perfect for this team because he'd give them something they need, and that's a big off the bench that can score the basketball. I don't know if he can ever be a full-time starter who averages 15-17 a night on 50%, but I do think he'd be perfect in the 6th or 7th man low-post scoring spark role.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Dbrog
Local High School Star

Dbrog has decent reputation

Brandon Bass with better rebounding?
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Zbo Lite? Undersized, very unathletic and loves to bang in the low block with brute force.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i really hope the suns pick him up, he's solid, regardless if his size. one thing you can't underrated is toughness.
highwhey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

If he develops a nice jumper, and drops 20-30 lbs. (this should be a priority for him) he can be a nice player.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
If he develops a nice jumper, and drops 20-30 lbs. (this should be a priority for him) he can be a nice player.
Not sure if he should lose that much. Right now he's about 260 (he lost like 20 pounds from the previoul year), but I guess 240-245 wouldn't be bad.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
cavsfanatic
Local High School Star

cavsfanatic has an OK reputation so far

I seen a scout on him that said he was 6'10 lmao. He like 6'7, but he will be a solid player. This years version of Big Baby type player without the foolishness
cavsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I really like Sullinger in that mid lottery range. And the reason I do is because I feel like I know exactly what I'm going to get out of him. Sure his ceiling isn't great because he's forever going to be limited by being less than a great athlete, and a tiny bit undersized.
But he's also got some other assets that you're not going to have to gamble on. He's gonna catch it almost always. He's gonna go to war on the glass. He's gonna be reliable around the rim. And if he's got an advantage on the block, you're gonna be able to count on him to take advantage of it. And when he's double teamed he's a good passer.

He developed his jumper a bit this year, and I've seen really high end comps on him of Kevin Love. "If he can stretch his range to the three point line ... ". To me that seems really optimistic, but I get where it's coming from. Then there's some Tyler Hansborough comps because of his effort and ability to hit the mid range, but Sullinger is a much more refined post threat than Hansborough is even now.
If anyone remembers how good Chris Gatling was at his peak, that to me is sort of where Sullinger sits in my mind. He'd be a great bench big to run your offense through when you're normal go to's are resting because he'll create DTs against sub players.

I think there's a big philosophical question on how you view prospects based on wheather you take Sullinger or Perry Jones at say 7 in this draft if they're both available.

If he falls to 15 I'd take him. So far I have Sullinger then Austin Rivers as 2 prospects I'd like the Sixers to take given better prospects havent dropped to 15 of course. Rivers because Lou Williams plans to opt out his contract. Given he had a pretty good 6th man candidate run and Thad Young got a $40mil 5yr deal? I can see Lou trying to get a better deal than what he initially signed for (5yrs $25mil). Rivers could replace Lou at a cheaper cost.

Not sure what to make of Sully. Chris Gatling name drop is an interesting one.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really don't think Sullinger should lose (more) weight. When he really thinned out at the beginning of the year, he looked frail and weak to me. He will always be a "below the rim" guy and his game is predicated on using his lower body strength and weight to get position and post up. Having that extra weight might slow him and cost stamina but I'd rather have 25 minutes of prototypical old-school low post basketball from Sullinger than more minutes of ineffectiveness.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has not been impressing people

He's probably falling out of the first round, but as a second round pick, I expect him to be real high.

Hopefully the Hawks get trade up to draft him in the second round.
hawkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: