Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has decent reputationTheMarkMadsen has decent reputation
Default Ps3 or X box 360?

Which one do you guys prefer.

Gonna pick either one up pretty soon but I'm not sure which one to go with.

I owned a 360 for a few years & sold it, now id like to get back to the current gen systems.

From experince which one's better in the sense of games, graphics and all around gaming experince. I was just going to cop a 360 but the ps3 blu ray & free online has me interested. Plus games like god of war look amazing.

Which one has the most bang for the buck? Ill most likely be buying it used which has me worried when it comes to the 360 because I don't want to catch the rrod as soon as I buy it.

Suggestions?
TheMarkMadsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Ps3 or X box 360?

This question has been beat to death but I'll answer anyway. I would go with the 360, if you have no problem with paying for online. The online is no doubt superior on Xbox. If you like Blu rays get ps3. My Xbox has never got the red rings. Also think about what your friends have. Video games are much more fun with friends.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Eh, I like PS3 for various reasons.
It might be more of a personal preference though.

1) I value watching high-definition movies and the PS3 has the Blu-Ray.
2) It is way more reliable as a console. For instance, I bought an 80 gig PS3 4-5 years ago with the MGS (the backward compatible version) and played the crap out of it, still standing today. I even dropped it pretty badly and it's still working. X360? I had to replace the system 3 times 5 years ago within a year due to the RROD, but the sad thing about it was that I have rarely played the system (mostly COD 4).
3) The ONLINE is where Xbox supposedly triumphs PS3; that's fine, I don't play online as much. I had an immense amount of fun playing Uncharted 2 online for a year straight, created crews and actually participated in competitions. They say PS3 isn't as fun; yet half the online community would recognize my usertag becaue it is so highyl interactive. I don't buy the whole "360 has a larger community", it does but only to certain particular games. If you like sports game; I always see the same amount of people playing it for the PS3 as they do for X360. But PS3 doesn't charge you for playing online; so it's a lot more suitable for me since I don't play online much anyways.
4) The 360 have a MUCH better controller, I'll give it to them. I can't play FPS games on the PS3 as well as I can on the 360. They're ugly as hell but very effective.
5) PS3 has Naughty Dog in its back pocket, my favorite gaming developer right next to Rockstar. I find the PS3 games are a heck of a lot more interesting and diverse. Carefully analyze the different exclusives each console has; I am a much bigger fan of God Of War, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid etc. then Halo & Gears Of War; so the decision is easy for me.
6) I don't care what anyone says; I actually tested this. PS3 has BETTER graphics, period. I have both consoles and I played games like Arkham City and Max Payne 3; I find PS3 graphics smoother.

Overall, if you play online all the time and really value the experience; then be safe and get 360. If you value Halo, Gears Of War and their other exclusives over Uncharted, GOW etc. then get X360. If you play more FPS's, get X360. If those criteria's don't suit you, get the better overall system: which is undisputedly PS3 (in my opinion).

Last edited by rhythmic †hesis : 06-11-2012 at 05:23 PM.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I had a 360 since 2008, but recently sold it so i can buy a PS3. Here are my reasons for jumping to PS3:

1. Perfect time to jump on to PS3 and subscribe to Playstation Plus (PS3's version of XBL Gold except you only need it if you want more than online play).

If you sign up for PS+ this month you get these games for free to play as long as you are subscribed to PS+ :

Virtua Fighter 5 – June 5th
inFAMOUS 2 – June 5th
Little Big Planet 2 – June 5th
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One – June 5th
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – June 5th
Just Cause 2 – June 5th
Saints Row 2 – June 5th

As you can see, some of these are big PS3 titles one would buy anyway. And every month expect to see the selection rotate to different games to download.

Some complain that they aren't really free since you can only play them as long as you have PS+. I don't understand the logic in that complaint as you are saving a lot of money being able to try out all these different games as long as you have the HDD space and a PS+. I was paying $50 for XBL Gold simply to play online. Never did they add anything to the service that made me feel like i wasn't overpaying.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – June 5th
Hard Corp: Uprising – June 5th
Choplifter HD – June 5th
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone – June 5th
Sideway NY

2. I've never played a PS3 game online yet, but as a 360 user i always heard/assumed that the 360 has superior online. Lets assume this is true; that its online is more active. Well i start to feel really cheated when i have to pay to play online yet my subscription doesn't make the game stable online. It can still be laggy and full of hacks/glitches despite your awesome connection. So what am i paying for? The opportunity to test what games suck online? I love Gears of War and will miss it a lot, but it can get really ridiculous when the game is dominated by lag, glitches, or mods. If have to pay $50 a year to play online, Microsoft needs to enforce certain standards for developers to meet before allowing their game to go online.

With PS3, i can at least take some comfort in knowing that if a game sucks online, i didn't pay anything extra for the experience. Assuming you don't buy PS+, but that is a feature for wanting more than just online play. Seems like a fair deal to me.

3. Game variety: For me, i feel like my choices were very limited on the 360. I don't like FPS at all, yet it seems those are the biggest games that people care about anymore. I would play NBA 2K, WWE games, and Gears; outside of that i couldn't find a lot of games that interested me...on 360. Games like Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, GTA, etc, they're all on the PS3 as well. Not to mention PS3 seems to a lot more variety with their exclusives. For years i've been wanting to play Infamous, but it was a PS3 exclusive.

Most of the popular games on 360 are also on PS3, with the exception of your Halos and Gears. Not a Halo fan, but love Gears; unfortunately one game isn't going to be good enough to keep me from feeling like video games suck due to lack of variety. Seems like 360 is the one lacking most when it comes to variety.

4. PS3 gives you access to download loads of PS1 classics. So if you aren't satisfied with the new games, you can go back in time and download old ones.

I know this was a long post. but i recently went through the same ordeal trying to figure out if i really wanted to make that jump since most of my buddies are only on 360. But PS3 either shares 360 games that i like to play (Sports) or has more variety in their exclusives to give me something to play.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

Go with whichever has the exclusives you want.
Imo it's really just down to that these days.
I like the xbox exclusives so i got an xbox. The red ring issue doesn't really exist anymore, was fixed a long time ago. The big problem Microsoft had was that when a unit red ringed they shipped out a refurbished unit that was the same model iteration, which would then have the same red ring fault with the way the board was soldered. A new unit won't have the issue.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation here

it really comes down to what your friends have imo
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
4) The 360 have a MUCH better controller, I'll give it to them. I can't play FPS games on the PS3 as well as I can on the 360. They're ugly as hell but very effective.

I don't get this.....to me, the ps3 controller feels better than the bulkier 360 controller. I'm so used to it cause it essentially has remained the same since the ps2 days.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
step_back
You see this knife?

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

PS3 has a built in blu ray player and free online which are it's best features.

Xbox 360 is far superior in terms of online and it being a home media hub means it's a lot more versatile.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either and like Celticballer said. Go with the one that your friends own. Playing games online with your mates is much better than playing with strangers.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
I don't get this.....to me, the ps3 controller feels better than the bulkier 360 controller. I'm so used to it cause it essentially has remained the same since the ps2 days.

The Playstation controller is made for tiny Japanese hands.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

just buy the system were your friends play the most, also check the game library of both systems and see what games you would enjoy the most. Ive had a Xbox and a PS 1&2 , I loved both my Sony consoles and since I also didnt want to play for online I stuck with a PS3 plus I like the feel of the controller. Best advice is choose what system you think you would enjoy with the most.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
PS3 has a built in blu ray player and free online which are it's best features.

Xbox 360 is far superior in terms of online and it being a home media hub means it's a lot more versatile.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either and like Celticballer said. Go with the one that your friends own. Playing games online with your mates is much better than playing with strangers.

360 fan-boys really need to stop being so biased. I own both consoles, how is 360 so much more superior online? It lags a hell of a lot more then PS3, and you're paying 60 bucks for it.

360 is now a better media hub?
Riiiight, because hooking up things like netflicks works so great on Xbox. PS3 is a way better media hub, what are you even talking about? Do you have both consoles?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
360 fan-boys really need to stop being so biased. I own both consoles, how is 360 so much more superior online? It lags a hell of a lot more then PS3, and you're paying 60 bucks for it.

360 is now a better media hub?
Riiiight, because hooking up things like netflicks works so great on Xbox. PS3 is a way better media hub, what are you even talking about? Do you have both consoles?

This is good stuff. You're trying to discredit step back as a 360 fanboy when you made an even longer post, loaded with personal experience masquerading as hard data, slanted towards the ps3 -- on this page. You're entitled to your opinion, but everyone else is too.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
This is good stuff. You're trying to discredit step back as a 360 fanboy when you made an even longer post, loaded with personal experience masquerading as hard data, slanted towards the ps3 -- on this page. You're entitled to your opinion, but everyone else is too.

I have both consoles, there's a difference.
Which is why I asked him if he actually uses both consoles.

I stated facts. He made claims that I think are completely untrue since I use both consoles and don't understand how he came up to his conclusion...

Unless to you facts aren't:

1) PS3 is also a media hub (how is 360 more versatile?): connect your Ipod, download music, movies; use PS3 network to connect your laptop to the PS3; netflicks is far easier to navigate using the PS3 then Xbox 360...etc.

2) Xbox 360's community is far bigger but it isn't necessary better for every gamer. If you're not a FPS fan, the whole online experience isn't all that much better then PS3. Plus, it costs money to even connect to Xbox Live: sports games, there seems to be as many people online as for Xbox etc. You also have an option to buy a PS3 online subscription where you have a similar interactivity as you do with the 360 plus you get free games...

Guy made bold statements, that are not true at all. I would agree that the 360 online community is larger (not necessarily better, depending on your preferences), but the media hub comment is far from the truth.

Last edited by rhythmic †hesis : 06-12-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
OneBadUsername
F*CK A TITLE

OneBadUsername has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
The Playstation controller is made for tiny Japanese hands.

My hands are pretty big and I prefer the PS3 controller as well.
OneBadUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm thinking about getting PS3 only for Killzone 3/4 .. anyone like this game?
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: