Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Pippen Or Payton: Which Player Would You Rather Build Around

And don't give me the "depends what the rest of team looks like" line. You are building a team, and both players are in the same draft. Which one do you take?
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
t-rex
17 NBA Championships

t-rex has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pippen Or Payton: Which Player Would You Rather Build Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
And don't give me the "depends what the rest of team looks like" line. You are building a team, and both players are in the same draft. Which one do you take?

Gary Payton.

He is the PG. In the modern NBA, PG is the more important position on the floor. In addition, having a PG who is not a liability defensively is also a huge plus. A player like GP would be very valuable against teams like OKC(Westbrook), Bos(Rondo) and the Clippers(Paul).

Ask the Lakers how important it is to be able to D-up an opposing PG.

Offensively I think they are about the same.

I also think GP is a better leader.
t-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
Gary Payton.

He is the PG. In the modern NBA, PG is the more important position on the floor. In addition, having a PG who is not a liability defensively is also a huge plus. A player like GP would be very valuable against teams like OKC(Westbrook), Bos(Rondo) and the Clippers(Paul).

Lol. F.ucker.

I'd take glove too.

Do people have Scottie over Gary all time?
Just curious
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
rule1223
Good High School Starter

rule1223 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayrule1223 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
Gary Payton.

Pippen would lock down westbrook, rondo and paul
rule1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1223

Both were terrific defensively.

I would build around Payton before going with Pippen for some reason. He more suited to be a franchise player to me.

I would much rather have Pippen next to Jordan than Payton.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
PJR
College superstar

PJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputation

Payton. While Pippen was an excellent playmaker for his position, Payton was a true floor general.

It's close though, due to Pips versatility. Actually it really does depend on how the rest of the team looks.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Pippen seems to be a polarizing player on this board.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJR
Payton. While Pippen was an excellent playmaker for his position, Payton was a true floor general.

It's close though, due to Pips versatility. Actually it really does depend on how the rest of the team looks.

I understand, but than everyone would just say "depends on the team". I personally would take Payton also. I actually think both players are underrated but Payton had more of that lead-dog mentality. Not saying Scottie couldn't do it. Becuase he was top 5 in MVP voting for the 94 season without Jordan.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
t-rex
17 NBA Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1223

Agreed.

But what is more difficult to find. A lock down defender at PG? Or a lock down defender at Forward?

That's the difference. Both were tremendous defensively. But GP did it from a position where you don't see many all time great defensive players.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
t-rex
17 NBA Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Pippen seems to be a polarizing player on this board.

Pippen is very difficult to rank historically, because he played with Jordan.

Where is he?

Was he carried by Jordan? Or does he belong as a part of these historic duos.

Jordan/Pippen

Bird/McHale

Magic/Kareem

Erving/Malone

Kobe/Shaq

Wilt/West

Alcinder/Robertson

Russell/Hondo

Durant/Westbrook

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I think he belongs in the "duo" category. But others disagree.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
TheBluest

Payton and I'd never look back or regret it....Both great players but Payton is without question Top 5 most underrated players of All-Time.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

its Pip for me. Dudes modern day version is a less scoring Lebron. While GP is a bigger CP3 (better individual defender and post scorer though). Can't go wrong with either guy

But no matter, the PG position is harder to defend today. You can't touch him, you can't breath on him, you can't even whisper something in his ear without getting called for something. Best thing to do is put a longer, stronger guy in front of him. GP was excellent defensively because he could push on you, say how he spanked your sister last night in your mom's bed, then elbow you in the chin while going the other way with the ball he just wrestled away from you. Can't do that now

Pip can run the offense, he done it almost his entire career, not just in the triangle. He did it with the Rockets, he did it with Portland too.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
StateOfMind12
Banned

StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pippen for me, I actually like Payton more despite the fact that I'm a Bulls fan but Pippen was easily better than Payton was. Pippen was bigger, more versatile, and better at almost every aspect of the game except taking over with scoring than Payton although Payton never had a 20+ ppg season like Pippen did at least as many times as Pippen did.

In short - Pippen because he was better than Payton at literally everything.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Pippen for me, I actually like Payton more despite the fact that I'm a Bulls fan but Pippen was easily better than Payton was. Pippen was bigger, more versatile, and better at almost every aspect of the game except taking over with scoring than Payton although Payton never had a 20+ ppg season like Pippen did at least as many times as Pippen did.

In short - Pippen because he was better than Payton at literally everything.

That's why I would take Pippen too.

The reasoning for taking Payton is because he would be an elite PG (which is obviously big in today's game). But with a true point forward like Pippen, you wouldn't necessarily need that elite PG. Just get someone like Ron Harper or some other big PG who can defend and a SG with some combo skills. Run a point guard by committee type thing.

Payton can defend the elite PGs. Pippen will help you guard the Durants and LeBron's of the game. That's more difficult to find.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season

Mr Exlax is considered somewhat coolMr Exlax is considered somewhat cool

Give me Pip! He's better than GP at just about everything and he's taller.
Mr Exlax is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: