Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far
Default XBox360 vs Ps3.. help me out!

What would you do if you were in my position? I currently have $500 to blow, don't feel like waiting for the Ps3 to be back in stock, and don't want to overpay for it on Ebay. So my choice is: grab the 360 now wait for the Ps3. Things to consider:

1. Price: Keep in mind, I'll probably have to save an extra $300 if I want the Ps3 rather than the 360

2. Hardware Problems: I hate having to deal with shipping my console back to the factory and wait weeks for them to fix it and send it back! I've heard ALOT of shyt about Ps3 hardware defects and the possibility of Sony taking forever to fix them. But then again, one of my boys bought a 360 when it was first launched and he is on his THIRD one. He kept having to return it because it had hardware defects as well.. owners of either system: what are your experiences with hardware defects?

3. Online Gaming: Ps3 Online is free, but I heard it was shyt. Xbox Live is a ripoff and they charge you for every little damn thing (pay for alternate jerseys? PHUCK YOU!)

4. Games Selection: I'm leaning more towards the 360 right now, because truth be told there isn't a single Ps3 game out right now that interests. And looking at the Ps3's schedule of games to be released in the upcoming months, I still don't see any that interest me! I play just about every sports game. 360 has a better selection of sports games IMO.. My favorite non-sports games include Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto. I don't feel like looking this up, so video-game nerds help me out here.. are there any exclusive licenses that Sony/Microsoft signed that I should know about before I purchase either system?

If you own BOTH systems, i especially need your advice! Please no fanboys.
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
A Loyal NJ Fan
High school junior varsity star

A Loyal NJ Fan has decent reputation

I got the 360 around Christmas time and I can't stop playing it. Just make sure you pick up Gears of War. It's definitely giving Halo a run for it's money. As for the PS3, I'm not really sure (but i heard it's glitchy as f#ck and it overheats all the time).
A Loyal NJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Do you know anything about Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto and what systems they'll be available for?
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

PS3>360.

You can run linux on your ps3 and its not that hard. You can surf the web and type if you have a keyboard. Obviously the reason the ps3 is more expensive is b/c of blu-ray. Remember if you want the HD-DVD for 360 it will cost $200 extra. As far as games, 360 has a lot more, but PS3 will have plenty this year. I think Resident Evil and GTA will be coming out around summer for both systems. not sure.

PS3 is easily available anywhere. Go to youre local eb/toysrus or something and you should find it.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020072

plenty in stock. Check your zip code.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far

Xbox360

Half the price, better games, graphics on the PS3 is not exactly that much better
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

360 owns PS3 so bad its not funny, you can walk into wal-mart and get one just 2 months after launch, you couldnt do that with the 360 till april 2005 (release date was nov 22 2004)

360 has as good and in most cases better graphics.

PS3 is all hype, no substance.

RE5,GTA4 will also be on xbox360,and also has a killer lineup in 2007.

360 is the king this generation.

Metal gear solid 4 is exclusive to ps3 for now but will eventually end up on the 360.

xbox live is well worth the price of 50 a year.

Last edited by Howard5Dirk41 : 01-20-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswifty
PS3>360.

You can run linux on your ps3 and its not that hard. You can surf the web and type if you have a keyboard. Obviously the reason the ps3 is more expensive is b/c of blu-ray. Remember if you want the HD-DVD for 360 it will cost $200 extra. As far as games, 360 has a lot more, but PS3 will have plenty this year. I think Resident Evil and GTA will be coming out around summer for both systems. not sure.

PS3 is easily available anywhere. Go to youre local eb/toysrus or something and you should find it.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020072

plenty in stock. Check your zip code.
this guy is an admitted fanboy

ps3s are easily available because its a $600 paper weight.

who gives about linux on a game system? thats whats PCs are for.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
Do you know anything about Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto and what systems they'll be available for?
the new splinter cell is on 360 not ps3
Old 01-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Saishi
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Saishi has an OK reputation so far

I love my 360, just wish there were more RPG's and adventure titles. As much as I love blasting "insert enemy" faces off, I want some variety. I don't have a PS3, nor will I buy one anytime soon. This stems from my Playstation experiences thus far. Owned both an Xbox and and PS2, the ps2 was riddled with "disc read errors" and hardly played games when I bought them. So it sits on the shelf, as a paper weight...and this brings about fear of owning a Ps3. That would be a pricey paper weight!

Game selection wise, I'm sure Plastation will have all it re-occuring exclusives like the Metal Gear series, Final Fantasy...360 will have Halo 3 and a few others, but sports games aren't usually console exclusive.

Bottom line, want right now satisfication, get the 360. Want Blue-ray technology (don't they read discs slower and I thought Playstations had slow load times before), possible future paper weight, then get the PS3. I think PS3 might have sat back to see the other consoles go to market, tried to duplicate their pleasing features (wii's contoller, 360's live) and cram them into their system, thus making it pricey.

The biggest plus for 360 is Xbox live. If you like playing online against others and being able to interact with people around the world, then there's no better than xbox360. It adds playability to games, that you would otherwise lose interest in after beating the story mode. How many times can you play the computer in nba season mode. Playing an actual person in much better. And live isn't as lag ridden as other consoles

You decide

Last edited by Saishi : 01-20-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Saishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

get a 360 if you want to play now. ps3 simply isnt worth it right now. go to joystiq.com ign.com or any of the gamer blogs. ps3 is getting sh*tted on so hard right now from developers, bloggers, analysts, and gamers who arent sony fanboys. it was voted top 10 most overhyped as well. wait at least a year until the good games come out if you want a ps3, if you buy it now your gonna be sorry. ive got a 360 and a wii, and all i play is the 360 (gf playes the wii) my buddy has all 3 systems and all he plays is 360. xboxlive is amazing. also, sony is losing many of its exclusives to 360, and with the low sells of the ps3, they are about to lose more. i can see the big names falling soon (mgs,dmc, ff hopefully)

Last edited by rezznor : 01-20-2007 at 01:31 PM.
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Dat1
I brick open layups

Dat1 has an OK reputation so far

i have a 360. i was thinking about getting PS3 but the graphics arent way better than 360's and 360 has more games right now. xbox live is way better than ps3 online. i dont know about paying for things unless your subscription runs out. so just take my advice and get 360 cause ps3 doesnt have gears of war and wont have halo 3
Dat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41

who gives about linux on a game system? thats whats PCs are for.

If computer programmers weren't always building games for the 'next badass pc' the PC would blow away all gaming systems. But the game systems have an advantage in that they don't see an upgrade, they just see the next system come out. It's a few years down the road, so you can bet on having at least 3 years worth of games that will play on your console.

You can build the top of the line computer, and you'll be lucky to be able to play the latest release game for 2 years straight.

But in all other aspects, the PC is superior.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
JMEWLS

XBOX 360 for sure... the games are better and its cheaper ...
Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #14
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

blu-ray's gonna die a slow death. I would avoid the PS3 for now. 360 is a much more established system with better games and support.
If you really want a console now 360 is better.
If you want a PS3 I'd say wait and see what happens. The games will come out eventually because big developers have already spent $$$ developing them.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: