Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Tech N9ne Albums

Excluding non-popular albums (Calm Before the Storm, The Worst, the underground, underground releases):

Anghellic - 278,000
Absolute Power - 358,000

(that's roughly half his albums in terms of sales numbers right there; make note Absolute Power is his best selling release to date)

Everready - 264.000
Misery Love Kompany - 106,000
Killer - 180,000
Sickology 101 - 118,000
KOD - 159,000 (his best album IMO)
All 6's & 7's - 230,000 (double CD)
Welcome to Strangeland - 85,000
Something Else - 92,000

_____

Foxy Brown's Chyna Doll sold more than all his albums combined. Dozens of others could be listed that would just make you cringe. In the day and age of them internets anyone can be "noticed" become semi-well-known, or whatever you wanna call it, but that doesn't always equate to increased sales. Belonging to an independent label certainly has its disadvantages. The right amount of exposure (media outlets, TV, hip-hop magazines, etc) in combination with the right timing (release dates) can make or break the success of a rap album (or any album under any genre). Tech has been a product of this since the beginning of his career. It's almost safe to say dude makes more bank from touring versus recording in the booth.


A dude once got on my case before because I labeled Tech N9ne as an "underground" rapper. Guy was like "OMFG have you lost your mind, do you know how popular and successful he is?!?!?" He even pushed it, went on to advise me he's sold just as many albums as Drake and T.I.



Getting down to brass tax, as "popular" as Tech seems to be, he's technically not a mainstream rapper; he is underground. Certainly not as underground as Earl Sweatshirt, MF Doom, Chino XL, Canibus, RA Rugged Man, LowKey (from the UK), or so many others. Tech N9ne is a known rap artist, well known, that's debatable and boiling it down, he isn't. He doesn't sell like a "well-known" rap artist. That isn't debatable.

Going back in time, if things could be reset, say Tech is discovered and signed by a major label with a well-known / industry-driven producer, like say a Dr. Dre to Aftermath back around the turn of the century - the music would be different, certainly, but Tech would still be Tech, and the raw numbers of album sales would be as different as night and day. If Dre could do for Tech N9ne like the doctor did for Em to kick start his career skys the limit for what could have been say an Anghellic under Aftermath with Dre's direction, production, etc.

"Dr. Dre he-re I come..." - Tech on Absolute Power's Yada Yada Yada (a sick as t-rack BTW).

Yada Yada Yada
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coke Boyz
Posts: 8,400
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Yah, to me, he's irrelevant.

I only listen to relevant artists to keep me up with modern trends. I only embrace reality.

Reality is. nobody cares about Tech, so therefore listening to said dude is counterproductive, because he didn't reach the highest level. So why live vicariously through dude when I can vicariously live through (the winners) like Em, Drake, Kanye, Jay, Wayne, etc.... ?

I listen to T Swift, Gaga, Perry, because they're relevant. They won. I listen to music to be inspired by winners so I can adapt to the reality of the real world. Getting a good job, having friends, making sure you make enough to secure your family/give them a better life matters. There needs to be a sense of urgency with it, yet, you guys are content sitting around listening to tech and other garbage for personal satisfaction, for fun, for play, to escape real life. FOH, dude.

Radio hits are important, they are winners inspiring other winners, the radio plays because its convenient, and when people are busy with real life, in their cars, out and about, they hear the soundtrack to life.

Ellie Goulding "Burn"

Lady Gaga "Applause"

Katy Perry "Roar"

That's the soundtrack dude. People are busy going to and from work, running errands, taking care of responsibilities and simply don't have time for Tech N9ne because of his technical rap ability. Nobody cares. He's irrelevant.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,185
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Why try that hard to be sarcastic?
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coke Boyz
Posts: 8,400
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Why try that hard to be sarcastic?
Do you listen to be inspired or...for personal escapism?

That would tell us all what kind of person you are, behind all those snarky remarks is a troubled kid yearning for a place to call 'home'
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,185
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

This ironic psychologist gimmick you have is tired.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coke Boyz
Posts: 8,400
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
This ironic psychologist gimmick you have is tired.
lol dude, you take this entirely too serious. Did I really ruffle your feathers?

No one is a gimmick. Dude, this isn't the real world. Stop giving this place more credit than it deserves. Stop trying to prove yourself to everybody, we come here for entertainment. Not your one liners trying to elicit a neverending internet beef.

Whether someone is funny to you or not is irrelevant. What matters is the numbers/stats/prestige, and simply put, you don't have any of that stuff. You're not relevant dude, and posting thousands of one line garbage trying to stir some shit isn't going to make you some legendary figure on ISH. Stop with the bullshit.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,185
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Was missing the irony of your first sentence part of your joke or are you still "serious"?
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coke Boyz
Posts: 8,400
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Was missing the irony of your first sentence part of your joke or are you still "serious"?
You seem to be confused about whether or not I am being sarcastic or serious, or.... whatever. I'm telling you that a lot of what I post is me telling the truth but it coming off as sarcastic because I have no filter on what I say, people like me will always come off as silly because everyone is so used to half-truth passive aggressive garbage.

You give off the impression that I'm behind some weird gimmick persona. That's you being paranoid and taking this stuff way too ****ing serious. Which is hilarious as hell to me.

My thoughts, actions, behavior etc all align with reality. I tell the truth, I call it how I see it. I do whatever it takes, I don't post bullshit to be accepted bla bla bla. It is what it is. I listen to music to keep me focused on reality and what needs to be done in the real world. When you're relevant, you did something right. You won. I will gladly live vicariously through a proven winner rather than listen to Tech to escape the real world and analyse how great his lyrics are or whatever you do.

I'm simply telling you to stop living in a fantasy world and taking this site more serious than it should be for you. Understand that you don't have a name for yourself on here and that no one listens to the shit you have to say. So give it up man. Give up the internet beefing and attention seeking and start telling the truth and taking the real world serious.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,185
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

I won't even read this next one. It's funny how one liners are making you post this much, though.

Remember, it's not that serious.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King
 
OhNoTimNoSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,403
OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Yah, to me, he's irrelevant.

I only listen to relevant artists to keep me up with modern trends. I only embrace reality.

Reality is. nobody cares about Tech, so therefore listening to said dude is counterproductive, because he didn't reach the highest level. So why live vicariously through dude when I can vicariously live through (the winners) like Em, Drake, Kanye, Jay, Wayne, etc.... ?

I listen to T Swift, Gaga, Perry, because they're relevant. They won. I listen to music to be inspired by winners so I can adapt to the reality of the real world. Getting a good job, having friends, making sure you make enough to secure your family/give them a better life matters. There needs to be a sense of urgency with it, yet, you guys are content sitting around listening to tech and other garbage for personal satisfaction, for fun, for play, to escape real life. FOH, dude.

Radio hits are important, they are winners inspiring other winners, the radio plays because its convenient, and when people are busy with real life, in their cars, out and about, they hear the soundtrack to life.

Ellie Goulding "Burn"

Lady Gaga "Applause"

Katy Perry "Roar"

That's the soundtrack dude. People are busy going to and from work, running errands, taking care of responsibilities and simply don't have time for Tech N9ne because of his technical rap ability. Nobody cares. He's irrelevant.
You are the shittiest f*cking poster on the internet
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
I only listen to relevant artists to keep me up with modern trends. I only embrace reality.

Reality is. nobody cares about Tech, so therefore listening to said dude is counterproductive, because he didn't reach the highest level. So why live vicariously through dude when I can vicariously live through (the winners) like Em, Drake, Kanye, Jay, Wayne, etc.... ?


I don't buy this logic. If that's your stance, then why listen to music in the first place? Every genre of music has its "underground" if you will, and typically, that's the best form of said genre's music. What's "relevant" is more of an opinion and not so much fact.

Reality is many fans of rap care about Tech. He's a staple of how and why independent rap artists can still be successful in the industry. He isn't selling tens of millions, and probably isn't banking tens of millions either, but he is successful.

What's "reaching the highest level" ? Is that having beats by Dre or Justice League and your debut album selling 3.5 million copies? Is it collaborating with Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and T-Pain (spending half your budget in the process) and having a world-wide smash hit banging in the clubs? What exactly are you alluding to when you say "reaching the highest level" ? Tech N9ne is the world's best selling rap artist who's on an independent record label. That's the highest level of some sorts, is it not?



Make no mistake about it - Tech is certainly no Kanye, Drake, Jay Z, Em or Wayne, but he's relevant, absolutely no mistaking that. Of those relevant and highly successful super multi-platinum rappers, lyrically, Jay Z is the only who can touch Tech, and verbally, Eminem is the only one who can even remotely hang. The point being, if you give Tech the same tools (such as commercial producers, labels, endless budgets etc) those other guys have had the duration of their entire careers - who's to say he wouldn't share the same success?

I guess I'm still just not getting your whole "I don't listen to dude b/c he isn't relevant" ... would like for you to elaborate.

Last edited by Josh : 12-26-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Why try that hard to be sarcastic?

I stopped reading his post where I cut it off and quoted; didn't pick up his sarcasm until I read your post.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,185
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I guess I'm still just not getting your whole "I don't listen to dude b/c he isn't relevant" ... would like for you to elaborate.

He's saying engaging in any media that is not mainstream and extremely successful is pointless because you engage in media purely for escapism. To say he's trolling is to give him the benefit of the doubt. To reply seriously is to admit what he said wasn't pants on head retarded.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
dr.hee
Good college starter
 
dr.hee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,062
dr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Why try that hard to be sarcastic?

It's particularly effective if he's maintaining it for a few paragraphs even though it's pretty clear to most after the first f*cking sentence...makes it that much more entertaining. So I'd say good effort by a simple minded fella. At least Budadiii tried, it's okay to fail if you gave your best.
dr.hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: As popular as Tech N9ne is, he's not a great selling artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
He's saying engaging in any media that is not mainstream and extremely successful is pointless because you engage in media purely for escapism. To say he's trolling is to give him the benefit of the doubt. To reply seriously is to admit what he said wasn't pants on head retarded.

Either way, lose-lose (him). I figured reading anything after what I had originally quoted would prove to be fruitless. Turned out to be true, but for the wrong reasons (I wasted an entire post buying into his mess; won't happen again).



I think someone said he's the reincarnation of Godzuki. I was glad to see he wasn't posting anymore these days, but if he's back via this guy then fuck. All that hope GONE. Gone only to reappear. Shit comes, shit goes (or in this case, never left, was just a different color).
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy