Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
vp18
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default IF YA Jinlian was not....

If Ya Jinlian is not from China do you think there would be as much interest in him ? I think not, its the big China market (merchandise, viewership) that has teams eager to have chinese player hoping to get a "yao effect" .

I doubt he will be really good player. Maybe better than Wang Zhi Zhi but not much.
vp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
laurited

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp18
If Ya Jinlian is not from China do you think there would be as much interest in him ? I think not, its the big China market (merchandise, viewership) that has teams eager to have chinese player hoping to get a "yao effect" .

I doubt he will be really good player. Maybe better than Wang Zhi Zhi but not much.

Have you ever seen 7 footer, who runs the floor like him, or 7 footer who is so athletic?
I dont now he is gonna be very good, but i tell he has one the biggest potential in this 07 draft class. I have big questions about Kevin Durant, and people are saying that he is nr2 in 07, doubt this!
laurited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Haven't seen him play so can't comment, well I did see him play a little but can't remember him. I take it you haven't seen him play either because you have no specific criticisms of him.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
P-Forty21

his a pretty good player who can do a bit of everything...he wont be a superstar in the nba but he will be pretty good
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
vp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
Haven't seen him play so can't comment, well I did see him play a little but can't remember him. I take it you haven't seen him play either because you have no specific criticisms of him.

I have seen him play in Asian Games and CBA game tapes sent to relatives. Yes he is more athletic than Wang and will be better but I dont think he would be ranked as high as he is rated if he is not from China.
vp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

I have only seen untelling highlight tapes of Yi.

I was able to see that he has very good athleticism for a 7' 19 year old, though he is frail... he has the type of skills you'd expect from an overseas player. Has a few moves that he feels comfortable with, can shoot (from the tape it looks like he has Yao's same release), can handle, etc.

That's all I can say for now

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 01-21-2007 at 11:45 AM.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Any athletic 7 footer that can run the floor and jump out roof is going to get looked at closely regardless of race.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
kumquat
College superstar

Way too weak, he'll get abused.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
laurited

Quote:
Way too weak, he'll get abused

Oh, yeah Dirk is very strong and also Tayshoun Prince
Yi can play and with his athelisism it doesnt matter, how strong he is, he beats u with athletich abilities. Oh, then u wouldnīt pick Kevin Durant either, because he is much weaker than YI

Last edited by laurited : 01-23-2007 at 04:34 AM.
laurited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 AM   #10
final.wrath
Banned

Default Re: IF YA Jinlian was not....

Yi is probably overhyped. He will have the same problems Yao had coming to the NBA. he will be turnover prone and a bad rebounder for his size (like yao). his athleticism might be on the level of Rashard Lewis at best. He doesn't have the frame to guard people his size so he seems like he would play SF in the NBA. his 3 point shooting isn't great but jumper is solid out to 20 feet.

im just disapointed that the chinese are so stubborn about their players. if yao or yi were allowed to come to the US and develop with the best coaches and trainers they would be better players in the end. instead China keeps them in their "athletes schools". free china.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurited
Yi can play and with his athelisism it doesnt matter, how strong he is, he beats u with athletich abilities. Oh, then u wouldnīt pick Kevin Durant either, because he is much weaker than YI

um, no need to put down durant because Yi is soft.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #12
Q.E.C
нυєy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurited

yea but there pro's. so when he gets in the nba he's going to be like yao ming his rookie year but only more athletic. he's going to get pushed around. i like Yi but he needs to get more power in his system. if he does that then there's no stopping him.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
A-MATT
Banned

it is going to take some time for him to develop. he will get pushed around early and often, but he has promise.
A-MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Sharas
Great college starter

quite a potential, i would say...he is rail-thin, but there aren't many seven-footers around who throw down windmills and 360s. decent jump shot for a 4, probably not good enough to play 3. he would get pushed around in beggining, but he's scary prospect if developed well.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
qrich
King Heno

Rather bring over Wang Zhi Zhi for the minumum then waste a first rounder on someone inferior. I've seen him play a few times, and most of those times, Wang outplayed him.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: