Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers Want Back In First Round

There's a rumor that Atlanta is interested in Pau. Maybe they're thinking Marvin Williams or Josh Smith & a 1st round pick for him. I think with the trade exception that would probably work.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
NBA2k-Monster23
Decent playground baller

NBA2k-Monster23 has no real reputation yet.

I think it will be Josh Smith and the #23 pick if we make the trade. The word is the Lakers really want MKG also.
NBA2k-Monster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #33
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Unless Charlotte made a trade for the #2 pick I'm not sure how that could happen. I don't think Cleveland and Washington would trade for Pau. Charlotte already absorbed a salary with that BG trade. I don't think they could take on that much more money. I'm not sure how the MKG thing could happen.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #34
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k-Monster23
I think it will be Josh Smith and the #23 pick if we make the trade. The word is the Lakers really want MKG also.
Rockets have been telephonic torturing the Kings for 3 days straight trying to pry that 5 spot away from them and the Kings are not budging as yet. Lakers would have to land in the top 5 most likely to have a chance at Gilchrist and that's what the Rockets were trying to accommodate. Gasol to the Rockets for the 5 spot and filler to make the numbers work.

Problem is the Kings are broke and they don't want to take on any salary they don't need to. Rockets have offered them 3 first round picks for the 5 and it reported that's two more guaranteed contracts than the Kings want on their roster.

Things could change but there's less than 20 hours now for it to happen and the Maloof's suddenly becoming competent seems like a reach.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #35
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Rockets have been telephonic torturing the Kings for 3 days straight trying to pry that 5 spot away from them and the Kings are not budging as yet. Lakers would have to land in the top 5 most likely to have a chance at Gilchrist and that's what the Rockets were trying to accommodate. Gasol to the Rockets for the 5 spot and filler to make the numbers work.

Problem is the Kings are broke and they don't want to take on any salary they don't need to. Rockets have offered them 3 first round picks for the 5 and it reported that's two more guaranteed contracts than the Kings want on their roster.

Things could change but there's less than 20 hours now for it to happen and the Maloof's suddenly becoming competent seems like a reach.

You think that's what Houston is trying to do? I assumed it was to go after Dwight. Do you think Lowry is part of the filler? Lowry, Scola and the #5 would be nice. (#3 would be even nicer, as I don't think MKG makes it past Cleveland at #4, unless Beal is there at 4). Going to be an interesting last few hours.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
NBA2k-Monster23
Decent playground baller

Quote:

Do you really believe it's for Gasol? Everybody thinks all this for Dwight or to get a player like Josh Smith if the Dwight situation falls through. I have a hard time believing they are doing all this trading just to get Gasol. This has to be for Dwight.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
Robster89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k-Monster23
Do you really believe it's for Gasol? Everybody thinks all this for Dwight or to get a player like Josh Smith if the Dwight situation falls through. I have a hard time believing they are doing all this trading just to get Gasol. This has to be for Dwight.

I thought the same thing.
What is the timetable for Dwight, does anybody know?
I heard someone say he won't be back until January, can that be right?

I'm just starting to think DWill stays put, and Dwight joins him next off season. Really seems like Houston is going after him though.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
You think that's what Houston is trying to do? I assumed it was to go after Dwight. Do you think Lowry is part of the filler? Lowry, Scola and the #5 would be nice. (#3 would be even nicer, as I don't think MKG makes it past Cleveland at #4, unless Beal is there at 4). Going to be an interesting last few hours.
Couple things. Bear with me, it might even be entertaining.

90% of what you read is made up by somebody. Either a front office being misleading on purpose or in most cases a sports writer trying to justify his existence. Using the Lakers name moves the meter. Tweet it, link it, post it on your site and you'll get clicks. Clicks sell advertising, advertising pays their bills.

What's going to draw more attention, or generate more revenue? A true story about the Bobcats and their number 2 pick or a made up story about the Lakers you classify as a rumor from "NBA Sources"

There's also snippets of truth. We know a couple things that we can assume to be true and some that are facts.

The Rockets have 3 first round picks.
The Kings have no money and the Maloofs are idiots.
The Rockets have made moves to acquire Pau in the past, it was vetoed. they tried a second time it was blocked too.
The Lakers need somebody who wants Pau bad enough to help them out if they want to make any moves.
The Rockets don't grow money on trees, they have to be very selective about what they do, they are patient and smart.
These things are facts

Things we know about Howard or believe to be true
He doesn't know what he wants.
the Orlando Magic have a brand new GM who's only had a few days to get the lay of the land, has said he hasn't even spoke to Howard yet as of yesterday so trading Howard even for three draft picks might not be in his or the Magic's best interest at this time.

The Rockets as I mentioned are pennywise, smart and careful. Without a 100% guarantee from Howard he'd sign a multi year deal do you think they'd trade anything of value for him? This Howard who's been all over the map, who's situation last season has cost a GM and head coach their jobs.

vs Pau who is a multi talented all star level big man, a known quantity, a team player, well spoken well liked and loyal beyond a fault. And has been on your radar for over a year now and you know he's locked up for at least two years.

Now separate the peas from their shells and see where you end up.

Last edited by BØBØ : 06-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
NBA2k-Monster23
Decent playground baller

Quote:
I thought the same thing.
What is the timetable for Dwight, does anybody know?
I heard someone say he won't be back until January, can that be right?

I'm just starting to think DWill stays put, and Dwight joins him next off season. Really seems like Houston is going after him though.

That's what it's starting to look like now. I also heard the Lakers interest in Dwight has been going to <<<< now. I think they rather find other ways to get better. I don't know. Maybe this deal could be for Pau. On the outside looking in everybody thinks it's for Dwight.

Dwill will stay a Net.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #40
Robster89

Quote:

90% of what you read is made up by somebody. Either a front office being misleading on purpose or in most cases a sports writer trying to justify his existence. Using the Lakers name moves the meter. Tweet it, link it, post it on your site and you'll get clicks. Clicks sell advertising, advertising pays their bills.

What's going to draw more attention, or generate more revenue? A true story about the Bobcats and their number 2 pick or a made up story about the Lakers you classify as a rumor from "NBA Sources"

There's also snippets of truth. We know a couple things that we can assume to be true and some that are facts.

The Rockets have made moves to acquire Pau in the past, it was vetoed. they tried a second time it was blocked too.
The Lakers need somebody who wants Pau bad enough to help them out if they want to make any moves.
The Rockets don't grow money on trees, they have to be very selective about what they do, they are patient and smart.
These things are facts

the Orlando Magic have a brand new GM who's only had a few days to get the lay of the land, has said he hasn't even spoke to Howard yet as of yesterday so trading Howard even for three draft picks might not be in his or the Magic's best interest at this time.

The Rockets as I mentioned are pennywise, smart and careful. Without a 100% guarantee from Howard he'd sign a multi year deal do you think they'd trade anything of value for him? This Howard who's been all over the map, who's situation last season has cost a GM and head coach their jobs.

vs Pau who is a multi talented all star level big man, a known quantity, a team player, well spoken well liked and loyal beyond a fault. And has been on your radar for over a year now and you know he's locked up for at least two years.

Now separate the wheat from the chaff and see where you end up.

Excellent post Bobo.
Throw in the fact that Howard is coming off a major back injury and may not be back until well after the season starts.

I'll be sad to see Pau go if it happens. I still think he's a great player. All this talk about his demise is false. He went 17-11 as the 3rd option on this team.
He is the best passing big I have ever seen, and he also is the consumate professional.

That being said, I do think the Lakers need to change, and unfortunately Pau is the guy to move. Kobe's not going anywhere, Bynum is 24.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #41
BØBØ
Local High School Star

Quote:
Excellent post Bobo.
Throw in the fact that Howard is coming off a major back injury and may not be back until well after the season starts.

I'll be sad to see Pau go if it happens. I still think he's a great player. All this talk about his demise is false. He went 17-11 as the 3rd option on this team.
He is the best passing big I have ever seen, and he also is the consumate professional.

That being said, I do think the Lakers need to change, and unfortunately Pau is the guy to move. Kobe's not going anywhere, Bynum is 24.
there you go, Checkmate. That alone makes any Howard to Houston talk silly EDIT: unless the back isn't as bad as it was made out to be, which is always a possibility.

Honestly I think Pau will be a Laker next year barring something huge. Front Office knows his value on the court so any move for him is going to be big. it's won't be a role player or two it'll be a like level player or something like a great first round pick, something they can't get any other way and they won't repeat the rumor mill from last season, they'll get it done before the season starts or they'll make it clear he's a Laker.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #42
Robster89

Quote:
there you go, Checkmate. That alone makes any Howard to Houston talk silly EDIT: unless the back isn't as bad as it was made out to be, which is always a possibility.

Honestly I think Pau will be a Laker next year barring something huge. Front Office knows his value on the court so any move for him is going to be big. it's won't be a role player or two it'll be a like level player or something like a great first round pick, something they can't get any other way and they won't repeat the rumor mill from last season, they'll get it done before the season starts or they'll make it clear he's a Laker.

It would be really interesting to see us surround Kobe, Pau and Bynum with the right roll players and bench. Getting rid of MWP, adding a 3 like Ariza ( I know I have an Ariza fetish). But we need a 3 with guard like quicks if we are going to have 2 7 footers inside. MWP is too slow, too big, and makes our frontcourt slowness much more pronounced. If we could somehow shed Metta, and Blake and McBob, then replace them with the likes of Ariza, Sessions and Hill, add a bench scorer like Beasley, then a starting PG like Mo Williams, we'd be pretty tough to beat.
No tools to make it happen thogh.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #43
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

Quote:

These things are facts

Now separate the peas from their shells and see where you end up.

You make a convincing argument, but how do you explain this?

Quote:
There has been speculation that the Rockets may be trying to use the picks to land Lakers big man Pau Gasol. The Rockets pursued him in December and thought they had a deal for Gasol as part of the larger Chris Paul deal to the Lakers that the NBA scuttled.

However, a league source told ESPN.com that the Rockets are no longer pursuing Gasol.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-bucks-move-12

Why would the Rockets need any picks to make a move for Gasol? I think Lowry, Lee and Dalembert (who is gone now) would've been enough to do it. Unless the Laker's thinking is Lowry + #5?

Regardless, I'm a bit anxious about what's going down tomorrow. Hopefully the Lakers front office make moves that make them better and not just straight salary dumps.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #44
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Holy crap. Great posts, BOBO. To add to what you're saying, "heavily-rumored" blockbuster trades involving the Lakers haven't actually come to fruition since, what, Shaq to Miami? And anyone who says they saw the Pau or Paul trades coming is definitely a liar and possibly a pedophile.

The Lakers as a franchise play everything close to the vest, and they're notorious among draft prognosticators for being one of the most difficult teams to project during draft time. They throw up a ton of smokescreens, but sometimes they'll play it straight just to catch everyone off guard.

I do think Pau is gone, however--by the end of next season at the latest. BOBO's already gone into Larry Coon-esque depth about how hard the new lux tax penalties are gonna hit heavy spenders after next year, and that's on top of the revenue sharing that IMO reams LA and NY every year. I don't think any of the rumored trades involving Pau is good for us in a basketball sense, but unfortunately a lot of trades nowadays aren't made with that in mind.

And now that I've pressed "submit" on this post, watch tomorrow as LA trades Pau for whatever bag of beans and draft picks Chris Broussard et al. is reporting he's being traded for.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #45
dd24
College superstar

BOBO, you mentioned that Houston wouldn't want to trade for Dwight without him agreeing to sign an extension, but the rumors have said all along that they'd be willing to do so and they would try to convince him to stay during the course of the season. Now, I doubt they would end up with him.

Honestly, I think Orlando is stupid for not making a deal with LA. They can offer the best piece in return. Anyway around it, tomorrow is going to be interesting. There's definitely going to be deals made.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: