Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2506
iamgine

iamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Walt should have gone skydiving or something lol. He is a cunt. A highly entertaining and likeable cunt.
I don't think that cuts it for him
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #2507
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Has anyone read the theory that Walt died during the cold open in the frozen over car with the cops outside, and that the rest of the episode was a death fantasy?
The theory is that so much went his way, and his saying "if you get me there I'll do the rest", followed by the miracle of finding the keys.

I don't perscribe to this theory at all. I just read it and wondered if anyone else had. If it were a fantasy, things would've ended better between he and Flynn and he and Jesse. But this theory does seem to be making the rounds.

That would certainly explain how Walt was able to move ghost-like through town. Perhaps in Walt's own fantasy he's still pragmatic enough to know that things will never be reconciled between him and Flynn and Jesse.

Of course when he said "if you get me there..." it was like a prayer, and I'm a believer in the occasional miracle.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 10-01-2013 at 01:07 PM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #2508
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
That would certainly explain how Walt was able to move ghost-like through town. Perhaps in Walt's own fantasy he's still pragmatic enough to know that things will never be reconciled between him and Flynn and Jesse.

Of course when he said "if you get me there..." it was like a prayer, and I'm a believer in the occasional miracle.

It was a well written piece, and it does in fact make some sense with the way things played out, with his getting such perfect revenge on the Schwartz's, and the Nazi's, and Lydia, with all the little inconsistencies thrown in, plus the stylized display, right from the moment the key magically drops, and the snow magically clears from the window, and he does move around ghostlike, at the Shwartzes, at the coffee shop, at Skyler's. Seeing your life sort of flash before your eyes, at least the last year, by including Badger and Skinny Pete.

She even admits though that it seems highly unlikely that this would remain that subtle were it the case. A closing shot of him being frozen to death in that car, or shot up by the police from those flashing lights, or even being led off in cuffs, would've blown people's minds, and probably would've angered a lot of people too with the lack of things being truely resolved. But it woul've been interesting as hell.

My bigger gripe with the theory remains that I just don't believe he'd fantasize that he couldn't speak to Flynn. Otherwise I can live with the closure with Skyler as fantasy, and even the closure with Jessie as fantasy (although that one I'm harder pressed to buy). I also feel like there'dve been a firmer closure with Marie, although he sort of gives that to Skyler.

I think as much as I like a murkiness to my ending, and I did feel this was a little checkboxy, which I mentioned yesterday when I gave my take in here, and then found similar discriptions elsewhere, I still loved this ending, and probably prefer it to this Nausbaum theory, even had they included a closing scene to make it so, and not vague.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #2509
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

I was listening to the Hollywood Prospectus on ESPN, and the dude brought up a good point that every plan of Walt's finally went perfect in this episode as in it went exactly as intended and there was no harm done to anyone that wasn't supposed to get it i.e. Drew Sharp, Hank, etc. And he said maybe it was because he embraced both the good things about the Heisenberg persona and Walter White, and he was completely honest to himself and the people he cared about.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #2510
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I still loved this ending, and probably prefer it to this Nausbaum theory, even had they included a closing scene to make it so, and not vague.

Yeah, despite the problems you mentioned I felt way better after this episode than I did after the last Sopranos.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #2511
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I was listening to the Hollywood Prospectus on ESPN, and the dude brought up a good point that every plan of Walt's finally went perfect in this episode as in it went exactly as intended and there was no harm done to anyone that wasn't supposed to get it i.e. Drew Sharp, Hank, etc. And he said maybe it was because he embraced both the good things about the Heisenberg persona and Walter White, and he was completely honest to himself and the people he cared about.

Someone else I had read mentioned that things all start to go right for Walt the moment he issues his "prayer" in the car. And they talked about a one time interview with Gilligan where he talked about there being a "God of Breaking Bad" in reference to the airplane crash, being a sort of god raining down fire on Walt for his actions.

The theory being that Walt, in that moment, finally wasn't bullshitting anymore, and wasn't acting selfishly, and just wanted to get home to clean up his mess, and then he could die, and that that God responded to him by taking all the bad luck out of Walt's previous plans. Walt always had great plans that worked right up to the last second, only to have something go horribly wrong that required a new equally absurd plan to cover it's tracks. This one didn't have those.
My case against that would be that it did have something go wrong. Walt dieing himself. And I could also make the case that it didn't go perfectly to plan, because Jesse was unwilling to kill him, although the offer itself, and Jessie's refusal, may be more redemption than either guy would've gotten on with any other outcome to that situation.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #2512
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
My case against that would be that it did have something go wrong. Walt dieing himself.

I don't see Walt dying as something going wrong. What would have gone right if he had lived? He goes back into hiding? He gets arrested? Dying at that moment probably was best for him. He got to go out with a smile on his face (metaphorically) by feelings as though he had done something right at the end and admiring the lab based on his work. Also, he goes out with the credit of the blue meth rather than the Nazis stealing some credit.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2513
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I don't see Walt dying as something going wrong. What would have gone right if he had lived? He goes back into hiding? He gets arrested? Dying at that moment probably was best for him. He got to go out with a smile on his face (metaphorically) by feelings as though he had done something right at the end and admiring the lab based on his work. Also, he goes out with the credit of the blue meth rather than the Nazis stealing some credit.

we dont know if Jessie will decide to pick up the business again
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #2514
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
we dont know if Jessie will decide to pick up the business again

"Hmmm... maybe it will go better for me this time around."
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #2515
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation herePistonsFan#21 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

yea i know its not very likely

but he could also think...

"damn i have no job, i sucked at school and im broke. I wish i wasnt such an emotionnal b*tch and kept the millions of dollars i had. Nothing to lose now, time to put some work in"
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #2516
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

It's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I read an article 20 minutes ago from a interview by jesse on the finale episode. one of the questions was "what does jesse do now?" he said that

"I think he probably goes and says bye to Brock, if he can, or at least just sees him from a distance and then he leaves. Maybe Alaska, maybe New Zealand. Becomes a bush pilot. Itís all part of the story.Ē

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/br...on-aaron-paul/
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #2517
chips93
Very good NBA starter

chips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
What are you talking about? He did exactly that throughout the finale. His admission to Skylar that he did it all for himself, his eerie admiration of the meth lab at the end, and his overall calm demeanor throughout the show basically showed that he had accepted he was a monster that could not help himself. In fact, the only change for him was his final realization he wasn't a good person. Sure, he got to help out his family and save Jesse, but its not like being a monster and caring for people is mutually exclusive. But in the end, he accepts he's not a good person, he dies, his family hates him even in death.

it just irked me that there were dozens of instances to come to this conclusion throughout the show, plenty of far more obvious times, but he only gets there at the very end.

like what was so special about these circumstances that he accepted that he was a monster? why not admit to this at any point earlier? like when he poisons brock? or lets jane die? or causes hanks death?

none of these things forced him to objectively evaluate what he was doing?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #2518
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
it just irked me that there were dozens of instances to come to this conclusion throughout the show, plenty of far more obvious times, but he only gets there at the very end.

like what was so special about these circumstances that he accepted that he was a monster? why not admit to this at any point earlier? like when he poisons brock? or lets jane die? or causes hanks death?

none of these things forced him to objectively evaluate what he was doing?

I'm thinking it has to do mostly with his time alone to think. Take this quote from Orange is the New Black:

Quote:
Yeah, I know how easy it is to convince yourself that youíre something that youíre not. And you can do that on the outside, you can just keep moving, keep yourself so busy you donít have to face who you really are. But youíre weak. Iím like you, Deana, Iím weak, too. I canít get through this without somebody to touch, without somebody to love. Is that because sex numbs the pain or is it because Iím some evil ****-monster? I donít know. But I do know I was somebody before I came in here. I was somebody with a life that I chose for myself. And now, now itís just about getting through the day without crying. And Iím scared. Iím still scared. Iím scared that Iím not myself in here and Iím scared that I am. Other people arenít the scariest part of prison, Deana, itís coming face to face with who you really are. Because once youíre behind these walls thereís nowhere to run, even if you could run. The truth catches up with you in here, Deana, and its the truth thatís going to make you her bitch.

Maybe Walt came to a similar realization once he was alone in the woods.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #2519
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

I'm only saying it's wrong in this sort of death fantasy theory.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #2520
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Walt came to the realization only after he had literally no more choice, no more options, absolutely nothing ahead of him but being alone and dying. It's not like it came at some random time, it came when everything else was done.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: