Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #781
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Um, the prisons are filled with men who have acted this way, don't kid yourself. You are sadly mistaken if that is trait only held by women.

He's hurting because he made a mistake and was weak and ultimately respected Mike. He's supposed to be so good at figuring the angles and figured this one wrong. That's what they wanted to show in the ending. I agree that they did seem to sacrifice some realism to get their though.

Still don't buy it.

I still think it was spotty writing. Hell in the video clip that was posted even the actor that plays Mike (Richard) complained about the writing. The writing was done by some dude that did one other episode. Like we've been discussing this entire episode, very out of character shit going on.

I loved the intro, but then it was kinda
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #782
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I don't know what his reasoning for putting a gun in the bag is. You have the money. What use is a gun? Did he think he'd need it right there and then when he opened the trunk? As we see at the end of the show, he had a gun in his other car. So why not have the second gun in his car too?

The idea of a getaway bag is you'll never know when or why you'll need it. So it needs to contain the essentials.

You're thinking about it only in terms of this getaway. He's at the airport because that is where you can park a car for a long time without drawing suspicion. He parked in longterm parking.

It's absolutely not a surprise at all that his getaway plan involved a gun. He didn't know if he would still have his current weapon on the day he picked up the bag. If he used his gun, he might have ditched it so it couldn't be traced back to him and knowing, he would be able to pick up another gun.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #783
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The idea of a getaway bag is you'll never know when or why you'll need it. So it needs to contain the essentials.

You're thinking about it only in terms of this getaway. He's at the airport because that is where you can park a car for a long time without drawing suspicion. He parked in longterm parking.

It's absolutely not a surprise at all that his getaway plan involved a gun. He didn't know if he would still have his current weapon on the day he picked up the bag. If he used his gun, he might have ditched it so it couldn't be traced back to him and knowing, he would be able to pick up another gun.

That's a good point. I wonder why he picked an airport to park. How long can you stay parked at one. Was he going to try and fly as part of his getaway? That's a terrible spot that he wouldn't be able to get to if the cops were after him.

Why did he think he'd need a getaway bag either? Did he think that his lawyer could get caught? That whole plan he came up with was just terrible.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #784
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think he had a getaway bag for a long time. It's kind of standard career criminal stuff. I think he was just reupping it with the new cash he got. I think he had the gun and extra passports already.

I don't know how long you can park at longterm parking, but it's a standard plot device. It's a place where's there's always a random assortment of cars.

Parking at the airport and having your passport allows you either to flight away or drive away. Presumably if he was flying away, he would have ditched the gun.

Googling, I find that some airports have no limit how long you can stay and that parking for a year at Alberqueque airport would run you just under eight grand.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 08-27-2012 at 03:35 AM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #785
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I thought the same thing.

Then, they played it like it was an impulsive thing which actually seems against character, like Walt only decided it to do it at the last moment.

I'm thinking he was going to kill Mike after he got the 9 names. He was pissed that he didn't get the 9 names and therefore was going to let Mike live for the moment. As Walt headed back for his car, he realized that he could get the names from Lidia and went back to kill Mike. I think this may have been what Walt was implying to Mike as Mike was dying. It could have been impulsive, but I think it was still more about the plan, and that plan got temporarily sidetracked until he realized an alternative in Lidia.

Last edited by Myth : 08-27-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #786
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
It would have been a way more realistic ending, and a better ending if Walt had pulled out his own gun and shot Mike. Then no one could say they truly saw it coming. When Walt looked in the bag we already knew that he'd use it on Mike when they met up. It would have been more impulsive to pull it out in a rage. Instead we know that killing Mike was a thought he had once he saw the gun when he first opened the bag.

I think the point was to show that it was premeditated and not just a reaction.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #787
Myth

Quote:
That's a good point. I wonder why he picked an airport to park. How long can you stay parked at one. Was he going to try and fly as part of his getaway? That's a terrible spot that he wouldn't be able to get to if the cops were after him.

The getaway bag wouldn't only be in situations where he needs to get away from cops. It could also be used to get away from cartel or anybody that he thinks will kill him, in which case taking a plane is not a bad idea. And he seemed to have a back up plan if the cops were after him. His plan was to have Saul or somebody else pick up the bag for him if he was wanted. Unfortunately for him, Walt was the guy that delivered the bag.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #788
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

Yeah that's something that crossed my mind writing that post. I just wonder why Walt seemed to do it in a rage then. Then after he shoots Mike he looks shocked.

I'm still trying to decide if that look on his face was fear that Mike might get away since he drove off, or if Walt was genuinely shocked at what he had just done. It's such an ambiguous expression. This isn't the first time breaking bad has done this in the show either. They've done this in numerous scenes where you could read the reaction in two very different ways. Probably intentionally done.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #789
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
The getaway bag wouldn't only be in situations where he needs to get away from cops. It could also be used to get away from cartel or anybody that he thinks will kill him, in which case taking a plane is not a bad idea. And he seemed to have a back up plan if the cops were after him. His plan was to have Saul or somebody else pick up the bag for him if he was wanted. Unfortunately for him, Walt was the guy that delivered the bag.

Do you think Walt saw Mike as a loose end that he could tie up by killing him? I have been thinking that, but then again I'm not sure Mike would ever rat on Jesse and Walt. I think Walt and Jesse knew this. We know that the thought definitely crossed Walt's mind when he saw the gun in the bag. What if there had been no gun in the bag though?

What if Walt only took the gun from the bag for protection? What if he really did just kill Mike in the heat of the moment?

Another thing. Did Walt kill him because he realized he could get the names from Lydia? Or did he only realize Lydia had the names once Mike was already shot? There is a lot to weigh in about.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #790
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

HAzE024 has decent reputationHAzE024 has decent reputation

for a show so big on foreshadowing, did anyone find it interesting that the movie mike was watching during the raid was talking about a cop who committed suicide as hank lurked in the background. then later in the episode hank puts the invisible gun to his head and shoots to show how uncomfortable he is with walts emoting.

DOT DOT DOT
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #791
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
for a show so big on foreshadowing, did anyone find it interesting that the movie mike was watching during the raid was talking about a cop who committed suicide as hank lurked in the background. then later in the episode hank puts the invisible gun to his head and shoots to show how uncomfortable he is with walts emoting.

DOT DOT DOT

So you think Hank is going to kill himself?
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #792
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
He said prison connections. I don't expect it to be one person. It's probably Todd's uncle or whatever who is in some sort of gang in prison. Remember he has to get 9 people. They are probably in multiple prisons. This has to be arranged very carefully. They all have to die around the same time.

The only way that would make sense is if he had connections in multiple prisons like you said. But not like 2-3, I'm thinking more like 5-6 since we're assuming this is going to take place all in one episode, which I would assume would be a few days at the most. Its one thing if these hits were done all in a few months. But if its only a few days, its hard to believe that many murders in the same jail would happen in succession like that. Unless maybe there are multiple connections in each cell. I don't know. I do agree though that from that preview, its clear there is some jail murder going down.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #793
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:

I think it was premeditated. But when he actually did it it was more of a reaction. Here's my theory. Walt tried to rationalize the whole situation to himself and others by with the 9 names, but deep down he wanted to kill Mike regardless due to his ego and anger over Mike having no respect for him. You look at this whole season, and Mike was the only character that didn't fall for any of Walt's sh*t. In every other character's case, Walt has either been able to strike fear in them (Saul, Skyler, Lydia), manipulate them (Jesse, Hank, Marie, even Declan), or been loved or respected by them (Walt Jr., Todd). Mike didn't have any of that for him. He still looked at Walt like the weak p*ssy ass chemistry teacher even after he killed Gus and that really bothered Walt.

Walt wanted to be recognized as the next Gus Fring, and for whatever reason getting Mike's validation would achieve that, but Mike told him multiple times throughout the season that he wasn't Gus Fring. And you look at this episode, and throughout the episode, Walt is looking for Mike's approval. First, at their headquarters he's expecting a more warm goodbye and some gratitude from Mike, but Mike just brushes him off, then he looks through the blinds and sees Mike shaking Jesse's hand and he's looking on almost like he's jealous. Then in that final scene, he yells "YOU'RE WELCOME" at him.

I also think he was still fearful of Mike, and Mike may have been the only person Walt was still fearful of, and that may have been another reason why he killed him. You look at that whole scene, if Walt getting the names was his primary objective, he would've threatened Mike right away. He would've given Mike a chance to change his mind about giving the names with a gun pointing at him. Thats what cold calculating criminals would usually do if they're doing something just for business and not out of emotion. Instead, he just lets Mike walk right up to him and snatch the bag out of his hand, barely putting up any fight. I suspect part of the reason for that was cause he's scared of Mike and didn't want to risk getting into a shootout with him since he's alot more skilled in that aspect and/or the 9 names wasn't the main issue. It explains the indecisive coward move he did by initially going back to his car then blindsiding Mike at the end when he shot him.

I think his remorse maybe due to the fact that he just realized that this was the first death on his watch that was completely unnecessary. As brutal as every other death was, including the kid's death, they were all done to protect himself or someone he cared about, or protect the business. I don't buy that Walt is completely bad and will ever be. There probably is still a little bit of a human side to him, even if it is very little.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #794
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

It moved along so quickly.......they went through the trouble to steal all that material, then suddenly Mike and Jesse both want out and now Mike is dead... they could have squeezed a 6th season out of this easily if they slowed things down.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #795
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

nathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrynathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrynathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
It moved along so quickly.......they went through the trouble to steal all that material, then suddenly Mike and Jesse both want out and now Mike is dead... they could have squeezed a 6th season out of this easily if they slowed things down.

why would you need to drag the plot on? we already see where everything is eventually headed right?
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: