Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #961
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

What was Gretchen's last name? If it's a "B" I can pretty much guess where Walt will deflect Hank to. Seems like lazy writing to have it being Gale's book.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #962
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Gail recites "When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer" by Walt Whitman

i don't remember anything about gale giving walt the book as a gift but this is at the very least a minor precursor to the hank/walt revelation

Last edited by RidonKs : 09-03-2012 at 03:17 AM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #963
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Someone texted me they showed the book earlier this season and Walt smirked and tossed it aside and Walt made an offhand remark to Jesse about Gale.

Perhaps Walt just took the book from Gale and never read it? He wasn't exactly enamored with him.
In the 3rd episode of this season, when Walt moves back into the house from his condo, when he is unpacking, he unpacks the book, looks at it, laughs and puts it in the bottom drawer of his nightstand along with a few other books, he also reads it before bed in one scene I believe

Last edited by irondarts : 09-03-2012 at 04:30 AM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #964
BGriffin's Dad
Future GOAT PF

damn Gale always fuckin things up, even from the grave
BGriffin's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #965
irondarts

Also, at the beginning of the episode, when Walt is taking a shower, the book was on top of the toilet, but with no magazines over it, he reaches for the towel and the towel brushes against the book.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #966
irondarts

Here's what I'm curious about: Will Hank confront Walt right away about the book? Or will he try and tail/investigate Walt further, maybe get Jesse involved, look into the car wash/Skyler, look into Walt's "gambling" history and then confront him.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #967
BGriffin's Dad
Future GOAT PF

will we see her again?

BGriffin's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #968
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I rewatched all of the seasons multiple times. When does Gale ever give Walt a gift? When does he give Walt a book? Even When Gale got replaced I don't remember him giving Walt a goodbye gift.

If Gale ever said something like, "maybe I'll get you a copy of a Walt Whitman poetry book", then I'd think it tied in very well. Instead, we have to believe Gale gave Walt this poetry book off camera and we didn't know about it for two seasons.
You better watch Season 3 again.

In Season 3 episode 6 "Sunset", when Walt first meets Gale, Gale recites the Whitman poem to him in the lab over a glass of wine after their first cook. A few minutes later, Hank calls Walter, Walter is at home in his condo sitting in a chair reading the book, they zoom in on the cover, it's the same book from tonight. Although we never saw Gale give Walt the book, it's obvious now that he did, and now we see why Walt unpacked it from his belongings from the condo while moving back into the house earlier this season.

Last edited by irondarts : 09-03-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #969
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
You better watch Season 3 again.

In Season 3 episode 6 "Sunset", when Walt first meets Gale, Gale recites the Whitman poem to him in the lab over a glass of wine after their first cook. A few minutes later, Hank calls Walter, Walter is at home in his condo sitting in a chair reading the book, they zoom in on the cover, it's the same book from tonight. Although we never saw Gale give Walt the book, it's obvious now that he did, and now we see why Walt unpacked it from his belongings from the condo while moving back into the house earlier this season.

Thanks. I knew about him unpacking the book, but I didn't know about the scene from season 3. I'm gonna go check that out now.

One thing that is kinda bothering me right now is someone on IMDB was talking about the Bin Laden comment in the finale. If this show started in 2008, and the timeline for this show has been less than 2 years, how could that guy know about Bin Laden being killed? Maybe the guy wasn't saying Bin Laden was actually dead but it sounded like it.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #970
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Thanks. I knew about him unpacking the book, but I didn't know about the scene from season 3. I'm gonna go check that out now.

One thing that is kinda bothering me right now is someone on IMDB was talking about the Bin Laden comment in the finale. If this show started in 2008, and the timeline for this show has been less than 2 years, how could that guy know about Bin Laden being killed? Maybe the guy wasn't saying Bin Laden was actually dead but it sounded like it.
I just watched the episode again, the scene is about 25 minutes into the episode.

Another very interesting thing, during the scene when Walt is reading the Whitman book in his condo, Hank calls him asking about Jesse and if Walt knew if he had an RV, This is I believe the first time Walt finds out Hank is investigating what he's doing.

So the first time this book was introduced is the first time Walt found out Hank was onto he and Jesse. Very interesting.

Last edited by irondarts : 09-03-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #971
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I just watched the episode again, the scene is about 25 minutes into the episode.

Another very interesting thing, during the scene when Walt is reading the Whitman book in his condo, Hank calls him asking about Jesse and if Walt knew if he had an RV, This is I believe the first time Walt finds out Hank is investigating what he's doing.

So the first time this book was introduced is the first time Walt found out Hank was onto he and Jesse. Very interesting.

Yeah I put on the commentaries too and Dean Norris talks about how that scene is the biggest turning point of that season. I wonder if any of them knew that book would turn out to be so important. I don't think Vince Gilligan knew because I think they would have put in a more subtle hint that Gale gave him that book. Anything at all would have been nice. A comment from Gale asking Walt if he had a chance to read any of the poems yet. Something like that would have been great.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #972
Rojogaqu11
I rule the local playground

Disappointing. How much more lucky can Hank get? ... he's even luckier than Walt, and that says a lot...
Rojogaqu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #973
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

http://imgur.com/a/pZZGv

Handwriting's different from Gale's. I'm sticking with Gretchen for now.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #974
alenleomessi
W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDl8Z...layer_embedded
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #975
bballer
King of ISH

bballer is offline   Reply With Quote