Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #1396
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
I can see that but think back of his ideas...magents, building something to get them out of the desert when the rv broke. He's always had good ideas that served as the primer for walt.if he by chance happen to see the numbers, thats all it would take bc he can then he could extract info from saul of how walts has stashed his money. I guess its too much of a reach lol

To me there is a big jump from brain storming to get out of a situation to seeing a bunch of random numbers on a lottery ticket and going "Hmmm.... these could have a 2nd meaning, maybe I should plug them into google." Plus, it was seem like really lazy writing for a show of this caliber to have Walt's plan of disguising numbers be foiled the first time it shows somebody look at the numbers.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #1397
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread




^ I totally want Rockstar to make that game. Allow us to play and Walt or Jesse and give us modified objectives for each in the story lines.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #1398
chips93
Very good NBA starter
 
chips93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,523
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
I'm intrigued by Saul introducing the wireless receiver to check for tracking devices. Something makes me think there was one in the barrels of cash Walt buried in the desert, which will be empty when he goes for them.

you think saul or one of his guys would steal walts money?

i think hes too afraid of walt to do something like that.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1399
JimmyMcAdocious
with God-given ass
 
JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,440
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

@Myth and Silent, that makes sense.

I keep forgetting that Jesse originally thought Walt was the one who poisoned Brock in the first place. Remembering that makes his quick realization, at least, plausible in my head.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #1400
zass
Decent playground baller
 
zass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 356
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Dean Norris spoiling everything. really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZI_QgKkzY
zass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #1401
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,937
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UUD3zyu7Ek
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #1402
EnoughSaid
Gooner | Heat Nation
 
EnoughSaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,379
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Here's for you guys who don't understand how Jesse came to his realization.

1) Brock is in the hospital. Jesse finds the ricin cigarette is missing, and he believes it's Walt who did it. Walt, literally at gunpoint, manipulates and convinces Jesse that its all Gus.

2) They find the ricin in the vacuum, which solidifies Jesse's belief in Walt, as he wouldn't have done such a thing.

3) Jesse notices how easy it was for Huell to take his weed, and since all he's been thinking about has been Brock, Mike and the little desert boy, his mind connects the dots. Huell pickpocketed the ricin, and Walt led him on to believe that Gus did it all.

This kind of sets up an amazing last 5 episodes. Walt basically has Hank by the balls. So anyone else here think Hank is going to kill himself? Dudes life has gone to shit.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #1403
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,538
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Skylar addresses the hatred towards her:

Quote:
I Have a Character Issue
By ANNA GUNN
Published: August 23, 2013


LOS ANGELES — PLAYING Skyler White on the television show “Breaking Bad” for the past five seasons has been one of the most rewarding creative journeys I’ve embarked on as an actor. But the role has also taken me on another kind of journey — one I never would have imagined.
Enlarge This Image
Lauren Nassef

My character, to judge from the popularity of Web sites and Facebook pages devoted to hating her, has become a flash point for many people’s feelings about strong, nonsubmissive, ill-treated women. As the hatred of Skyler blurred into loathing for me as a person, I saw glimpses of an anger that, at first, simply bewildered me.

For those unfamiliar with the show: Skyler is the wife of Walter White, a high-school chemistry teacher who, after learning he has lung cancer, begins cooking and selling methamphetamine to leave a nest egg for Skyler, their teenage son and their unborn daughter. After his prognosis improves, however, Walter continues in the drug trade — with considerable success — descending deeper and deeper into a life of crime.

When Skyler discovers what Walter has been up to, she tries to stop him, to no avail. She is outraged by the violence and destruction of the drug world, fearful for her children’s safety, disgusted by the money Walter brings in and undone by the lies and manipulation to which he subjects her.

Because Walter is the show’s protagonist, there is a natural tendency to empathize with and root for him, despite his moral failings. (That viewers can identify with this antihero is also a testament to how deftly his character is written and acted.) As the one character who consistently opposes Walter and calls him on his lies, Skyler is, in a sense, his antagonist. So from the beginning, I was aware that she might not be the show’s most popular character.

But I was unprepared for the vitriolic response she inspired. Thousands of people have “liked” the Facebook page “I Hate Skyler White.” Tens of thousands have “liked” a similar Facebook page with a name that cannot be printed here. When people started telling me about the “hate boards” for Skyler on the Web site for AMC, the network that broadcasts the show, I knew it was probably best not to look, but I wanted to understand what was happening.

A typical online post complained that Skyler was a “shrieking, hypocritical harpy” and didn’t “deserve the great life she has.”

“I have never hated a TV-show character as much as I hate her,” one poster wrote. The consensus among the haters was clear: Skyler was a ball-and-chain, a drag, a shrew, an “annoying bitch wife.”

I enjoy taking on complex, difficult characters and have always striven to capture the truth of those people, whether or not it’s popular. Vince Gilligan, the creator of “Breaking Bad,” wanted Skyler to be a woman with a backbone of steel who would stand up to whatever came her way, who wouldn’t just collapse in the corner or wring her hands in despair. He and the show’s writers made Skyler multilayered and, in her own way, morally compromised. But at the end of the day, she hasn’t been judged by the same set of standards as Walter.

As an actress, I realize that viewers are entitled to have whatever feelings they want about the characters they watch. But as a human being, I’m concerned that so many people react to Skyler with such venom. Could it be that they can’t stand a woman who won’t suffer silently or “stand by her man”? That they despise her because she won’t back down or give up? Or because she is, in fact, Walter’s equal?

It’s notable that viewers have expressed similar feelings about other complex TV wives — Carmela Soprano of “The Sopranos,” Betty Draper of “Mad Men.” Male characters don’t seem to inspire this kind of public venting and vitriol.

At some point on the message boards, the character of Skyler seemed to drop out of the conversation, and people transferred their negative feelings directly to me. The already harsh online comments became outright personal attacks. One such post read: “Could somebody tell me where I can find Anna Gunn so I can kill her?” Besides being frightened (and taking steps to ensure my safety), I was also astonished: how had disliking a character spiraled into homicidal rage at the actress playing her?

But I finally realized that most people’s hatred of Skyler had little to do with me and a lot to do with their own perception of women and wives. Because Skyler didn’t conform to a comfortable ideal of the archetypical female, she had become a kind of Rorschach test for society, a measure of our attitudes toward gender.

I can’t say that I have enjoyed being the center of the storm of Skyler hate. But in the end, I’m glad that this discussion has happened, that it has taken place in public and that it has illuminated some of the dark and murky corners that we often ignore or pretend aren’t still there in our everyday lives.

I think Skylar (anna gunn) got it all wrong. People don't hate her (her role) because of her "strength and unwillingness to compromise when it comes to morals." In my opinion, I think she's very unlikeable because she's just not a good wife. As a wife, she should understand Walt better than anybody else, and the fact she can't seem to fully understand and accept what he is doing is actually out of compassion and love for her and their family is what kind of puts me off about her. She also went off and cheated on Walt because she's too stupid to understand what he is trying to do. I think deep down in every person, we are willing to forgive people if what they are doing is within good intentions even though it is wrong sometimes.

I think it all boils down to conditional love vs. unconditional love, and Walt seems to be the one with the strength to do whatever it takes because he loved his family while Skylar seems to be full of insecurities and actually out to hurt the family (by cheating and destroying the structure). What Walt is doing might be wrong, but he's doing it out of love; you can't say the same about Skylar.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1404
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,538
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Here are some crazy spoilers for the final episodes:

1. Walt Jr. joins the meth trade business (what role he has in this is unknown at this point).

2. The baby turns out to be Ted's.

3. Walt shoots Hank.

4. Walt frames Hank.

5. Jessie finds out Walt poisoned that mexican kid and seeks revenge.

6. Lady Gaga guest stars in one of the episodes (this has been confirmed since she's dating Vince Gilligan).

7. Cops found the tarantula in that one dude's car and links him to the dead motorcyle kid since there are fingerprints on it and the spider is unique to that region.

8. Gomez and Hank goes at it.

That's all I know so far based on my deep research and my presonal connection with one of the people working on the show. As far as I know, this is all 100% accurate.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #1405
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,653
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Skylar addresses the hatred towards her:



I think Skylar (anna gunn) got it all wrong. People don't hate her (her role) because of her "strength and unwillingness to compromise when it comes to morals." In my opinion, I think she's very unlikeable because she's just not a good wife. As a wife, she should understand Walt better than anybody else, and the fact she can't seem to fully understand and accept what he is doing is actually out of compassion and love for her and their family is what kind of puts me off about her. She also went off and cheated on Walt because she's too stupid to understand what he is trying to do. I think deep down in every person, we are willing to forgive people if what they are doing is within good intentions even though it is wrong sometimes.

I think it all boils down to conditional love vs. unconditional love, and Walt seems to be the one with the strength to do whatever it takes because he loved his family while Skylar seems to be full of insecurities and actually out to hurt the family (by cheating and destroying the structure). What Walt is doing might be wrong, but he's doing it out of love; you can't say the same about Skylar.


I think what you say about Skylar is correct. I also think a big part of it is the character's moral ambiguity. She's so emotional with Walter about stuff, but when she wants the carwash, then it's ok. Overall I think it's a very realistic, multi-layered character. But those layers just make her not all that likable. I think the affair hits home almost subconciously because of her weird disapproval of Walt's relationship with his ex in that first season.

Now you could argue that Walter is equally morally ambiguous, and no one seems to dislike him to that degree. And I don't quite agree with your take on Walt's motive being pure, and that's the reason why he's more likable. Even in this past episode, Walt used telling his son about his cancer's return as a means to an end, as a way to manipulate him into not going to his Aunt's house. Walt at the end of the day is a pure pragmatist. It's not uncommon among people who are that scientifically inclined. He has a problem in the moment, and he figures out a solution to it. And if he has to use his family, his wife, his children, his friends, or whoever, that's what he'll do. He tries to find the path of least resistance, but it's always the path of least resistance for him, not anyone else. I think why Walter gets a pass to a degree from the audience, is 1) she's right, he's written as, and performed as, the protaganist, so that's how it works. But 2) I think the reason it works is that the character has been consistent. Every step of the way we've been invited to watch him account for his logic, and make the decisions he's made. And they're uniquely pragmatic. Their's countless scenes in the series where it's literally Walt and whoever, Jesse, Mike, Skylar, sitting around and deciding what they're going to do. And people being convinced are usually convinced by Walt's just being the smartest guy in the room.

In fact I think it's those scenes that really make this show pop. Very rarely do you get to see the thought process of an individual's decisions so often.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1406
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Skylar addresses the hatred towards her:



I think Skylar (anna gunn) got it all wrong. People don't hate her (her role) because of her "strength and unwillingness to compromise when it comes to morals." In my opinion, I think she's very unlikeable because she's just not a good wife. As a wife, she should understand Walt better than anybody else, and the fact she can't seem to fully understand and accept what he is doing is actually out of compassion and love for her and their family is what kind of puts me off about her. She also went off and cheated on Walt because she's too stupid to understand what he is trying to do. I think deep down in every person, we are willing to forgive people if what they are doing is within good intentions even though it is wrong sometimes.

I think it all boils down to conditional love vs. unconditional love, and Walt seems to be the one with the strength to do whatever it takes because he loved his family while Skylar seems to be full of insecurities and actually out to hurt the family (by cheating and destroying the structure). What Walt is doing might be wrong, but he's doing it out of love; you can't say the same about Skylar.


Completely agree. For instance, the affair with Ted. However, the Skyler fangurls like to pretend the boink happened in a vacuum and refuse to acknowledge that she went looking for that affair long before then. She only demanded that nooner when things weren't happening fast enough. In fact, she made her mind up to have that affair the moment we see her go digging for that old photo of her and Ted.

Walt's early odd behavior could easily be explained as acting out after the death sentence he was given. Did she consider that? Nope. Did she care? Nope. As I detailed here in season at length, when my uncle had open heart surgery he acted quite similarly to Walt. He withdrew from the family and several times a day disappeared on long walks (to secretly smoke). Did my aunt go, "hmm, that's odd, think I'll f^ck my boss now"? Nope. That's not what grownups that actually care about someone do.

The I-Heart-Skyler t-shirt wearers like to pretend she's hated on because of some isolated affair or because she's bitchy but the truth is, she's a selfish, hypocritical, vindictive control freak who only thinks of herself. And if Walt had gotten his balls back via a legal venture, she still would have acted the same. The only "fear" she's acting out of is fear that she's lost control of her browbeaten husband.

Last edited by Tarik One : 08-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #1407
guy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,214
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Skylar addresses the hatred towards her:



I think Skylar (anna gunn) got it all wrong. People don't hate her (her role) because of her "strength and unwillingness to compromise when it comes to morals." In my opinion, I think she's very unlikeable because she's just not a good wife. As a wife, she should understand Walt better than anybody else, and the fact she can't seem to fully understand and accept what he is doing is actually out of compassion and love for her and their family is what kind of puts me off about her. She also went off and cheated on Walt because she's too stupid to understand what he is trying to do. I think deep down in every person, we are willing to forgive people if what they are doing is within good intentions even though it is wrong sometimes.

I think it all boils down to conditional love vs. unconditional love, and Walt seems to be the one with the strength to do whatever it takes because he loved his family while Skylar seems to be full of insecurities and actually out to hurt the family (by cheating and destroying the structure). What Walt is doing might be wrong, but he's doing it out of love; you can't say the same about Skylar.

Ummm, I think its pretty clear that Walt isn't doing all of this out of love. He's clearly done alot of this due to his inflated ego and insecurities.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #1408
guy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,214
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Completely agree. For instance, the affair with Ted. However, the Skyler fangurls like to pretend the boink happened in a vacuum and refuse to acknowledge that she went looking for that affair long before then. She only demanded that nooner when things weren't happening fast enough. In fact, she made her mind up to have that affair the moment we see her go digging for that old photo of her and Ted.

Walt's early odd behavior could easily be explained as acting out after the death sentence he was given. Did she consider that? Nope. Did she care? Nope. As I detailed here in season at length, when my uncle had open heart surgery he acted quite similarly to Walt. He withdrew from the family and several times a day disappeared on long walks (to secretly smoke). Did my aunt go, "hmm, that's odd, think I'll f^ck my boss now"? Nope. That's not what grownups that actually care about someone do.

The I-Heart-Skyler t-shirt wearers like to pretend she's hated on because of some isolated affair or because she's bitchy but the truth is, she's a selfish, hypocritical, vindictive control freak who only thinks of herself. And if Walt had gotten his balls back via a legal venture, she still would have acted the same. The only "fear" she's acting out of is fear that she's lost control of her browbeaten husband.

Honestly, I think its alot more simple. She's an ugly, nagging wife of one of the best characters ever who cheated on. An ugly, nagging, cheating wife is one of the most unlikeable characters there can be. I don't really think people care about her selfishness and hypocrisy, because I'm not sure she's really that selfish apart from the affair, and most of her hypocrisy is due to the conflicted position Walt put her in.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #1409
nightprowler10
Hold the door
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,597
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

I think there's some truth to the hate as well, since I do think a big part of the reason Skylar felt the need to go outside her marriage was that Walt wasn't the submissive husband he had been in the past.

But let's not pretend Walt is any better. Sure, he didn't go outside of his marriage but as much as he likes to play the family man, he could have easily kept his family out of any potential harm whatsoever by taking the help offered to him by Elliott Schwartz. Sure, you could say that it would have been submissive of him to take the help, but then you can't say he'll do anything for his family. Walt's actions are only partially due to his loyalty to his family. There have been times where he could've played things differently and retire with a ****-ton of money much earlier in the game, but his ego got the best of him every time.

Walt is Skylar's equal and vice versa. They're both as bad as each other, Walt just happens to be the protagonist and much better acted.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #1410
Brunch@Five
College superstar
 
Brunch@Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,453
Default Re: Breaking Bad: Season 5 (Final) Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Skylar addresses the hatred towards her:



I think Skylar (anna gunn) got it all wrong. People don't hate her (her role) because of her "strength and unwillingness to compromise when it comes to morals." In my opinion, I think she's very unlikeable because she's just not a good wife. As a wife, she should understand Walt better than anybody else, and the fact she can't seem to fully understand and accept what he is doing is actually out of compassion and love for her and their family is what kind of puts me off about her. She also went off and cheated on Walt because she's too stupid to understand what he is trying to do. I think deep down in every person, we are willing to forgive people if what they are doing is within good intentions even though it is wrong sometimes.

I think it all boils down to conditional love vs. unconditional love, and Walt seems to be the one with the strength to do whatever it takes because he loved his family while Skylar seems to be full of insecurities and actually out to hurt the family (by cheating and destroying the structure). What Walt is doing might be wrong, but he's doing it out of love; you can't say the same about Skylar.

You do realize that what you wrote is exactly what Anna Gunn said is why sexist men hate her?
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy