Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Another Tarde Idea

Robster the sign and trade rules for tax paying teams above the tax apron are different than those for tax paying teams below the apron. Tax teams below the apron can execute sign and trades with the loss of the MLE being the penalty. Teams above the apron cannot execute them at all. It's confusing as all hell and to make it worse the apron is set differently for every team depending on a formula based on a myriad of things.

Anyways Lakers can't take on anymore salary, the clock is ticking. They don't get hammered by the tax cliff this season but this coming season counts as one of their two strikes of being over. This trade the Lakers take on too much salary that they'll have a hard time getting rid of.

The Lakers will only be shedding salary this summer. Other than Williams or Howard becoming available expect every trade to reflect the front offices need to get within an exceptable reach of the tax cliff for next summer. They don't need to get under the tax limit, only close enough that if they do have to pay taxes they aren't getting pillaged by the league offices.

Expect lots of shuffling of 1 year vets min contracts as they look for a guy who plays like a 5 million dollar man for 1 million. Not likely after all there's a reason these guys who get vets min contracts are getting vets min contracts.

Edited 4 Robster, btw the Lakers are wayyyyyyyyyy over the apron so this is their last gasp at any sign and trade until probably after Kobe's contract is off the books

Last edited by BØBØ : 06-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Dude, that movie was a crackup.
I loved how the cars kept careening off the broken freeway.
Yes, they coined the term "tarde", and also "batin".
And then the inevitable transformation of Fuddruckers into ----------!
Classic!

Yeah, the cars off the broken freeway is classic!!!!
The buildings being tied together.....all the freaking trash.
Brawndo......because it has electrolytes
The evolution of Fuddruckers, Carls Jr, Starbucks are all
Ow my balls!!! The enormous Costco!! I can never get enough of that movie, it seems like not too many people know about it.
I'm glad I do
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Robster the sign and trade rules for tax paying teams above the tax apron are different than those for tax paying teams below the apron. Tax teams below the apron can execute sign and trades with the loss of the MLE being the penalty. Teams above the apron cannot execute them at all. It's confusing as all hell and to make it worse the apron is set differently for every team depending on a formula based on a myriad of things.

Anyways Lakers can't take on anymore salary, the clock is ticking. They don't get hammered by the tax cliff this season but this coming season counts as one of their two strikes of being over. This trade the Lakers take on too much salary that they'll have a hard time getting rid of.

The Lakers will only be shedding salary this summer. Other than Williams or Howard becoming available expect every trade to reflect the front offices need to get within an exceptable reach of the tax cliff for next summer. They don't need to get under the tax limit, only close enough that if they do have to pay taxes they aren't getting pillaged by the league offices.

Expect lots of shuffling of 1 year vets min contracts as they look for a guy who plays like a 5 million dollar man for 1 million. Not likely after all there's a reason these guys who get vets min contracts are getting vets min contracts.

Edited 4 Robster, btw the Lakers are wayyyyyyyyyy over the apron so this is their last gasp at any sign and trade until probably after Kobe's contract is off the books

Thanks for the great response Bobo.
Your knowlege of this stuff boggles my mind, I'm glad your here bro.

It is going to be tough to rebuild this thing, that's for sure.
I agree about the salary. Not sure they'd do this even if they could due to the future implications. Be nice though.

I just threw it out for discussion, I know it's probably unrealistic.

Hope we make some big moves, one way or another.

Just saw a rumor that there may be a deal with Sac and Houston. Lowery and #14 and #16 for Tyreke and #5. Looks like Houston may want an even bigger fish than Gasol (Dwight Howard).

The next 2 days will be interesting.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #19
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Not to be argumentative but:
1. Houston made almost this same trade for Gasol already, the difference being addng Lowery and subtracting Dragic. They want to move Lowery and keep Dragic, and this deal moves out the 2 contracts they really want to be free of, Martin and Scola. Rumor has it that they could move Lowery for #8 (Toronto), but this would not move much money out and they want to move those contracts so they can resign Dragic and Lee.

2. Tax paying teams, like the Lakers, can still do sign and trades. Restrictions are on extend and trades and those do not go into effect until 2013-2014. I looked it up.

3. Philly would jump at Derrick Williams. They are shopping Iggy hard and asking for a pick in the 5-10 range. Williams is worth as much or more than anyone in this draft not named Anthony Davis. Philly wants to build on their young core of Lou Williams, Holiday, Turner and Young. They have PG, SG and SF covered, so would love to add a young, talented PF like Williams. Philly would prefer a young PF like Williams, at 5 mil, over a vet like Pau, at 19 mil.

Lastly, I agree about the money. But by amnestying MWP the payroll would be around 85 mil, which would be less than if we keep the current roster intact. The lux tax penalty also does not go into effect until 2013-2014, so they'd still have a year to shed salary if that became an issue.

Just putting it out for discussion dude, like you do with ideas. I have always enjoyed your posts, even when I don't necessarily agree with them. I like the fact that you bring ideas to the table. That's all I'm trying to do, throw out ideas for discussion.

1. I'll concede this point. Didn't know Houston included a 1st rounder in that Dragic trade. However, let's recall this was before Dragic exploded into a star PG. It's quite crazy how many teams have popped up in Gasol rumors the past few days, Houston, Atlanta, Memphis, Washington..

2. I'll concede this point too since I heard about Beasley being possibly traded to the Lakers as recently as yesterday.

3. I still doubt Philly wants Derrick Williams. The guy is starting to look more like a bust to me. Plus, he's not a veteran player that a Philly team that's built to be in contention for the next 5+ years is after.

4. The amnesty should not be wasted on MWP. He still is servicable, just had a slow start last season, but came on strong later in the season as his conditioning improved. He's still one of the better defensive 3's in the league. Him and Ebanks or Barnes is a solid SF rotation imo.

I still think the trade is unrealistic but I guess it's good for discussion purposes. Hopefully the Lakers can find a way to get better, but not add so much salary to their payroll. Kobe's contract is going to be killer in a couple years.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: