Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Rumor: Hawks want Gasol for Josh Smith

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10280

I say do this...do it now and do not delay.

Then use the TE to get Mo Williams, and bam. Our team is younger, more athletic, and we got a sharp shooter at the PG position, who is seemingly left wide open a lot with Kobe still drawing doubles.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Rumor: Hawks want Gasol for Josh Smith

Hawks are a tax team like the Lakers.
The trade doesn't work, numbers are 4 million apart
Josh Smith for Pau Gasol is not a good trade anyways. Pau is head and shoulders better than Smith, trade gets even worse if the Lakers have to take on some additional garbage Atlanta doesn't want to make the trade happen.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
NBA2k-Monster23
Decent playground baller

NBA2k-Monster23 has no real reputation yet.

I think this is the best deal we will get for Pau. I like Josh Smith at better with Bynum then Pau. The reason why is Bynum is too dominant of a player and Gasol is a post player also. They both are trying to do the same thing down low. We need something different and that is Josh Smith. We get younger, athletic, and he only makes 13 million. The good thing about this is Atlanta will probably throw in a expiring contract and their #23 pick for us to jump into the first round!

We need to move on this fast.
NBA2k-Monster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

I love it Lakers are making some moves we are all over the trade rumors out there.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Josh Smith for Pau Gasol is not a good trade anyways. Pau is head and shoulders better than Smith, trade gets even worse if the Lakers have to take on some additional garbage Atlanta doesn't want to make the trade happen.

Torn on this. Gasol is the superior player, but Smoove had a monster year. He's 26 and is one of the best defenders and most athletic players in the league. (He is also tight with Dwight (hey, i made rhyme), though I heard SAS say today that Dwight absolutely does not want to come to LA).
He has a decent mid range game, though he is horrible from 3.
I'm thinking hopefully here, but the easy transition baskets Smoove would get us may make up for the loss of offense, and the defense would improve dramatically. He would match up well with guys like Durant, Aldridge and Griffin (guys who give Pau fits. Not that Pau guards KD, but Smoove could spend some time on him).

I'd want something else though. Maybe their first rounder or maybe Hinrich in a S&T could help make up the difference?

If we could also get MO, then a 3 like Ariza, a starting 5 of Mo, Kobe, Ariza, Smith and Bynum would be pretty exciting. A big change from the team we have now. We'd get a lot of points in transition, which are generally high % shots. Man, seems like we never get easy shots with this team. We look old and slow. Wish we could get rid of MWP, Blake and McBob, then keep Sessions and Hill for the bench, and maybe add Beasley.

Youre info on Houston intrigues me as well.

Last edited by Robster89 : 06-28-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

They never specified whether the deal was going to be a straight up trade between the two teams. Im sure there'd be some sort of package surrounding Smith.

Secondly I would like to mention that Gasol has appeared to be declining. Many people have even suggested that Pau is done at this age. Josh Smith is only 26 years old and has plenty of good years left. Good enough for a long term contract with this team. So I say before we lose Pau for garbage, or nothing, give him up for Josh, who averages around 20 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.7 blocks per game.

It also depends on what kind of garbage we're taking back like you said. If its some washed up veteran, lakers can buy them out. They don't HAVE to keep the garbage. This team needs to trim some of the fat anyways.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
They never specified whether the deal was going to be a straight up trade between the two teams. Im sure there'd be some sort of package surrounding Smith.

Secondly I would like to mention that Gasol has appeared to be declining. Many people have even suggested that Pau is done at this age. Josh Smith is only 26 years old and has plenty of good years left. Good enough for a long term contract with this team. So I say before we lose Pau for garbage, or nothing, give him up for Josh, who averages around 20 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.7 blocks per game.

It also depends on what kind of garbage we're taking back like you said. If its some washed up veteran, lakers can buy them out. They don't HAVE to keep the garbage. This team needs to trim some of the fat anyways.
I disagree on some of this. Yes he's getting older but Pau was moved to 3rd option. He was moved to a position on the floor away from where's he's spent his entire career playing. This happened because Bynum can't play anywhere but the low post. Pau can player higher and outside in and he's smart enough to do it well. The fact his numbers this year barely dropped off from his numbers for the previous years is actually pretty cool when you consider all this. It's a lot harder battling for position when the system has you starting out 10 feet from the basket that's a lot of real estate for a guy who's not real beefy to cover. It took it's toll on Pau no doubt but I think with a full camp and time to actually institute some tweaks that keeps Pau moving off ball more this could work for the Lakers. Speed up the game and life will be easier for both Pau and Kobe.

Phil fixed this twin towers problem by pulling Bynum early in the rotation so Pau could move to center and that worked but now you can't justify Bynum playing 28 minutes a game at his salary and age if he's healthy enough to do it so something new was installed. I think you're making maybe to harsh a critic based on a season where nothing was the norm. You want the same old Pau but it wasn't the same old anything. Coach, system schedule, practice, days off, roster and on and on.

Nobody on the team looked great or comfortable this past season, nobody performed up to past performances and that's to be expected under all the circumstances that are well documented.

Last edited by BØBØ : 06-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

Quote:
I disagree on some of this. Yes he's getting older but Pau was moved to 3rd option. He was moved to a position on the floor away from where's he's spent his entire career playing. This happened because Bynum can't play anywhere but the low post. Pau can player higher and outside in and he's smart enough to do it well. The fact his numbers this year barely dropped off from his numbers for the previous years is actually pretty cool when you consider all this. It's a lot harder battling for position when the system has you starting out 10 feet from the basket that's a lot of real estate for a guy who's not real beefy to cover. It took it's toll on Pau no doubt but I think with a full camp and time to actually institute some tweaks that keeps Pau moving off ball more this could work for the Lakers. Speed up the game and life will be easier for both Pau and Kobe.

Phil fixed this twin towers problem by pulling Bynum early in the rotation so Pau could move to center and that worked but now you can't justify Bynum playing 28 minutes a game at his salary and age if he's healthy enough to do it so something new was installed. I think you're making maybe to harsh a critic based on a season where nothing was the norm. You want the same old Pau but it wasn't the same old anything. Coach, system schedule, practice, days off, roster and on and on.

Nobody on the team looked great or comfortable this past season, nobody performed up to past performances and that's to be expected under all the circumstances that are well documented.
i agree, but you can't waste time with chemistry issues when our star has only two our three years left. gasol is uncomfortable being a third option, whereas i think Smith would benefit from not having to take on a scoring role. the lakers benefited in 09 by having Odom at the pf spot which spaced the floor for Gasol. i don't feel like the current duo of gasol and bynum can beat the thunder, plus if we reach the finals Smith would be the only guy who could defend Lebron. no way in hell artest can do it. with Smith as the third option i feel like he can get 15 to 18 on garbage points and just being unnoticed because the defense won't be guarding him. plus, we won't be giving Gasol to a contender.

having a younger team will definitely help la and makes us miles better defensively. possibly the best defensive front court.

Last edited by Remix : 06-28-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

It wasn't just the past season. The season before, Pau Gasol looked bad in the playoffs. His best and last year was when the lakers played the celtics in the finals in 2010 and won the championship. After that, he doesn't seem to have much left.

There's a difference between him being a good third option, or just a player struggling to be comfortable in his role. He wasn't a reliable jumpshooter once the playoffs came around and that was the main thing he could have offered us.

He also can't seem to catch balls down low.

100% of the time, when he went up for a shot down low, he got stripped every single time. Not one time did he get off a good shot. It was almost like all of his moves were predictable. He's not at an age of getting better. That is why he is done.

This league has become an athleticism league, with the thunder and the heat taking the finals stage. If we don't improve to become athletic, we won't have a chance.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
It wasn't just the past season. The season before, Pau Gasol looked bad in the playoffs. His best and last year was when the lakers played the celtics in the finals in 2010 and won the championship. After that, he doesn't seem to have much left.

There's a difference between him being a good third option, or just a player struggling to be comfortable in his role. He wasn't a reliable jumpshooter once the playoffs came around and that was the main thing he could have offered us.

100% of the time, when he went up for a shot down low, he got stripped every single time. Not one time did he get off a good shot. It was almost like all of his moves were predictable. He's not at an age of getting better. That is why he is done.

This league has become an athleticism league, with the thunder and the heat taking the finals stage. If we don't improve to become athletic, we won't have a chance.

Idiotic to pay a 3rd option $19 million next season.....he WILL be traded.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

trading pau is not about his skills...there is not a single guy who can match his skills...its about what option he is and how much we are paying him

he is 6/7th highest paid guy and he is 3rd option on the lakers...this is the main reason lakers are trading him...atleast get some better players and solidfy that pathetic bench we have
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

Idiotic to pay a 3rd option $19 million next season.....he WILL be traded.

I think so too. People don't realize exactly how greedy the Buss family is. Yes we win a lot, they spend a lot, but they probably are the biggest advertised team in pro sports and get way more money than any other team. To them, paying Kobe is easy. Paying Pau is easy. But if they don't get rid of him soon, it won't be so easy.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

trading pau is not about his skills...there is not a single guy who can match his skills...its about what option he is and how much we are paying him

he is 6/7th highest paid guy and he is 3rd option on the lakers...this is the main reason lakers are trading him...atleast get some better players and solidfy that pathetic bench we have

This was never about skills. It was about his value, and his mindset. He's underachieving, and he fades away in big moments, and he's getting paid 19 mill to do so.

The skills argument is the same as what was used for Lamar Odom. Odom had so much "unrealized potential" or whatever garbage people called it. I was criticized for saying I'd take Caron Butler over Lamar, because every night, no matter what the score was, he always brought it, and always made it difficult for other teams. I still stand by that.

Give me the guy that plays hard every night and takes advantage with his one specific skill set over the guy that can do so much, and doesn't work hard at it.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

The money is a huge factor YES, but the problem on the court is that he plays with a complete lack of heart and desire as if wins and losses don't matter......and he is soft, as Lakerfreak said, he gets the ball taken away from him all the time by even small guys and gets pushed around in the post, which is why they tried to move him away from the post.......this crap has been going on for 2 years and that's far too long. Skill doesn't mean a damn thing without heart. It's the size of the fight in the dog that matters.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
The money is a huge factor YES, but the problem on the court is that he plays with a complete lack of heart and desire as if wins and losses don't matter......and he is soft, as Lakerfreak said, he gets the ball taken away from him all the time by even small guys and gets pushed around in the post, which is why they tried to move him away from the post.......this crap has been going on for 2 years and that's far too long. Skill doesn't mean a damn thing without heart. It's the size of the fight in the dog that matters.

A much easier version of what I ranted on. Thank you my friend.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: