Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Maniak
CAVS FAN FOR LIFE

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Your favorite console of all time

Ps2.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I still have it.

Maybe I need to hook it up and get a little ALTTP or Mario All Stars or ISS Deluxe going.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ

I still have it.

Maybe I need to hook it up and get a little ALTTP or Mario All Stars or ISS Deluxe going.

I think I gotta go with this...

Super Nintendo was the Shillllzzzznittles

Super Tecmo Basketball and Football were my favorite games.. We played them sh*ts all day and night in college...Del Curry was my secret weapon.. Street Fighter was my other game where we spent mega hrs just going back and forth.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
Tenchi Ryu
Banned

Tenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputation

CF86, what you know bout that dreamcast bruh?

Clearly the best of all time. Already had one, saw that rare black Sega Sports one at a game store about 2 years ago for 50 bucks, and said fukk it and bought it just cause lol. Love that damn system, still play it every now and then. And burned so many damn games for it too.

I've collected all the controller and vmu colors accept yellow, that bitch is super rare to find. And bought the arcade stick last year, since we all know dreamcast was the best arcade to console port of all time.

And like TheMarkMadsen said, still get some new games every now and then, but they are mostly shooters.

Got the dreamcast connected to my HDTV right now with the VGA adapter, pushes the graphics to 480p and can match just about any thing graphically a Wii can. Shenmue for example is just beautiful in 480p

Last edited by Tenchi Ryu : 06-29-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #21
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
CF86, what you know bout that dreamcast bruh?

Clearly the best of all time. Already had one, saw that rare black Sega Sports one at a game store about 2 years ago for 50 bucks, and said fukk it and bought it just cause lol. Love that damn system, still play it every now and then. And burned so many damn games for it too.

I've collected all the controller and vmu colors accept yellow, that bitch is super rare to find. And bought the arcade stick last year, since we all know dreamcast was the best arcade to console port of all time.

And like TheMarkMadsen said, still get some new games every now and then, but they are mostly shooters.

Got the dreamcast connected to my HDTV right now with the VGA adapter, pushes the graphics to 480p and can match just about any thing graphically a Wii can. Shenmue for example is just beautiful in 480p

You burned your own games? I just bought them for a buck each off people haha. Is it easy to burn? I want the black one too but family member has a white one they will let go of dirt cheap.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #22
Tenchi Ryu
Banned

Tenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputationTenchi Ryu has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You burned your own games? I just bought them for a buck each off people haha. Is it easy to burn? I want the black one too but family member has a white one they will let go of dirt cheap.
Yea, I use to buy em too, but some of the good stuff, like Marvel vs Capcom 2, people wanted too much damn money. So I just went into burning them. Super easy, all you need is a burning program like Discjuggler or Alchohal 120%, and some blank CDRs.

And getting games is real easy. When a console goes out of production and games are no longer sold for it, it is officially legal to download and burn games for it. So for now, Dreamcast, Xbox 1 and Gamecube are legal. The reason Dreamcast is the most popular method is cause you don't need to mod the system like other consoles, you ca literally burn it, pop it in and play it. Some people blame this as part of Dreamcast's downfall in the early 2000's, but oh well, might as well enjoy it now lol.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #23
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Yea, I use to buy em too, but some of the good stuff, like Marvel vs Capcom 2, people wanted too much damn money. So I just went into burning them. Super easy, all you need is a burning program like Discjuggler or Alchohal 120%, and some blank CDRs.

And getting games is real easy. When a console goes out of production and games are no longer sold for it, it is officially legal to download and burn games for it. So for now, Dreamcast, Xbox 1 and Gamecube are legal. The reason Dreamcast is the most popular method is cause you don't need to mod the system like other consoles, you ca literally burn it, pop it in and play it. Some people blame this as part of Dreamcast's downfall in the early 2000's, but oh well, might as well enjoy it now lol.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/

So it's like burning any CD basically? Download with one of those programs and burn? I may do that instead of buying any games. Will standard CDR's have enough space on disk for a game? I would assume no.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Nevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Which Ironically Dreamcast was the better system (better graphics on most games, more unique features, half the price) but agree due to the length of time it was at the top, how many competitors it destroyed in sales and longevity it was the pioneer of modern gaming. In just two years in America Dreamcast made at least 15 classic games which is a great rate. If it got 10 years like the PS2 can't imagine how far it could have went. It's one of gaming's biggest tragedies honestly. Sony crushed everybody...

Here are the exact side by side specs of the actual hardware.

Dreamcast: 128-bit, 200 MHz main processor, with 16 megs of system RAM, 8 megs of dedicated video RAM and 2 megs of audio RAM.

PS2: 128-bit, 294 MHz main processor, with 32 megs of system RAM and 4 megs of video RAM.

So you see they are comparable. More video RAM for Dreamcast, more system RAM for PS2 which at that level really doesn't make a difference. Just like the PS3 did vs 360... Sony once again claimed 5 times the polygons yet it translated to nothing. PS3 graphics can be matched by 360 despite that and Dreamcast usually won graphics comparisons to PS2 in reviews.

Anyways I digress... I don't want us to debate really, just curious to see what you guys have at the top of your list. If people feel compelled you can even give a top 3 or a top 5.

One of the things that doesn't get talked about a lot with the Dreamcast failing is the controller. Sega seriously took a step back in design with only one analog stick, especially after the PS1 had introduced us to the 2-stick Dual Shock a generation before Dreamcast. The lack of commitment from Third Parties was the final nail though. With that, when I think of "Music" (and I mean GOOD music), I think of the Dreamcast and the games it was putting out.

My favorite system is the Xbox 360, because it combines the best of the old games with the New (and the compatible Xbox 1 games in between-Ninja Gaiden Black is golden). IDK, the Xboxes always felt like the spiritual successors to Dreamcast for me anyway.
Nevaeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #25
Tenchi Ryu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
One of the things that doesn't get talked about a lot with the Dreamcast failing is the controller. Sega seriously took a step back in design with only one analog stick, especially after the PS1 had introduced us to the 2-stick Dual Shock a generation before Dreamcast.
Disagree, as the second half of my username suggest, I am a HUGE streetfighter/general fighting game fan. So I can be very picky about my controllers, specifically the feel of the buttons. And Dreamcast is honestly one of my favorite controllers of all time. Bar none, the BEST D-Pad on a controller, period. Xbox 360's D-pad was shit til they released the new adjustable ones. And even though Dreamcast didn't have the second analog, they are the ones who established the essential perfected analog position, which is on the left above the D-Pad. Both Sony and Nintendo failed imo, Nintendo's being in the middle was awkward feeling for certain games, and Sony STILL has realized that dual analog's right next to each other can be umcomfortable. Dreamcast also established the triggers, which have become a staple for the gaming, especially for shooters and driving games. And CF86 already talked about how the VMU is STILL ahead of its time, we are just now seeing something similar with the Wii-U and Xbox's Smart Glass just announced at E3 this year.

Quote:
The lack of commitment from Third Parties was the final nail though. With that, when I think of "Music" (and I mean GOOD music), I think of the Dreamcast and the games it was putting out.
Definitely, especially with the fantasy genre. I remember reading about how Sega's president at the time was strongly against RPGs on the dreamcast, and felt it wasn't something that would catch on in america. Well, Square-Enix proved them VERY wrong.

Quote:
IDK, the Xboxes always felt like the spiritual successors to Dreamcast for me anyway.
In a sort of way, it is. Remember that when dreamcast was on the scene, they had a VERY important partner that was a major part of the push into the online multiplayer world, and that was Microsoft. And they had a very close relationship as Microsoft even developed OS software for the dreamcast, never seen before on another system, Windows CE. So the connection between Sega and Microsoft was definitely strong, and its easy to see how Microsoft borrowed elements from the dreamcast.

Here is the article that came out a few years that explains how Dreamcast and Xbox 360 (Also my favorite current system) can be eerily similar in certain aspects.
http://www.1up.com/features/dreamcast-20
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
Tenchi Ryu
Banned

Quote:
So it's like burning any CD basically? Download with one of those programs and burn? I may do that instead of buying any games. Will standard CDR's have enough space on disk for a game? I would assume no.
No, standard CDR's are ABSOLUTELY enough. You might run into a few games that require special 99 min CDs, but the plain ole CDR's that you would buy to burn songs, that's all you need most of the time.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #27
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
No, standard CDR's are ABSOLUTELY enough. You might run into a few games that require special 99 min CDs, but the plain ole CDR's that you would buy to burn songs, that's all you need most of the time.

Damn crazy man. Some games will just be multiple disks I guess. Sounds so easy h aha. Thanks man.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Microsoft even developed OS software for the dreamcast, never seen before on another system, Windows CE. So the connection between Sega and Microsoft was definitely strong, and its easy to see how Microsoft borrowed elements from the dreamcast.

it's very true that Microsoft developed the Dreamcast OS, but it was NOT the first console to run a Microsoft OS... the first "game" console to run a Microsoft OS was the Memorex VIS!!
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

I can't pick just one... I love 'em all... but I'll list my top... 5 (in no order)

Nintendo NES
Sega Master System
Turbo Grafx/Duo
Atari 5200
Sega Saturn
PlayStation 2
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

N64 (gaming prime)
NES (so young, few games)
Sega Genesis
Gamecube
XBox
Xbox 360 & PS3

I love them all though really. The Gamecube could have been closer to #1 if it had released more games in the US. N64 was my favorite and I enjoyed it the most because it pushed the envelope for it's time with plenty of great games. Especially when I was upgrading from a Genesis to a N64. The difference was truly amazing. Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Zelda and Turok were some of my favorites.

By the way, I disagree with people who hate on the controller. I loved that thing, despite the joystick wearing out so easily. The N64 controller was great and I refuse to buy their Gamecube styled version of it.

Last edited by 04mzwach : 06-30-2012 at 08:30 PM.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: